• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, I've always wondered if that might be a misconception to an extent. While it is true that the Japanese can be opposed to outside ideas, especially regarding a product they invented. I've thought it may stem more from Miyamota's want to create new concepts and ideas(Nintendo's motto is gameplay first, graphics later), that he sorta wanted to push Retro to create their own DK legacy, however it could be he has dislike, but I don't think we ever got hard cold evidence on that really

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I've always wondered if that might be a misconception to an extent. While it is true that the Japanese can be opposed to outside ideas, especially regarding a product they invented. I've thought it may stem more from Miyamota's want to create new concepts and ideas(Nintendo's motto is gameplay first, graphics later), that he sorta wanted to push Retro to create their own DK legacy, however it could be he has dislike, but I don't think we ever got hard cold evidence on that really
From what I understand, he was salty that Rare seemed to be prioritising graphics over gameplay with Donkey Kong Country (keyword: seemed) and felt like it wasn't doing justice to his creation. I'm pretty sure he's cooled down a lot since then, or at least is less vocal about his disdain for the series.

Miyamoto is a genius and an inexorably necessary element in the video game industry as we know it, but I reckon he sometimes gets a little too carried away with his input. Creativity is good and vital to games, but sometimes you can be creative and exciting with existing elements, too - you don't necessarily need to create something new every game. I think that he's of the mentality that the Donkey Kong series needs new characters and aspects or nobody will be interested in it anymore. Please God he'll make out that it's quite the opposite and that re-introducing K. Rool will only bring more interest back to the games!

Craxian

Smash Rookie
Voted for King K. Rool in the poll. I really hope he gets in, and a lot of the things that have happened recently look encouraging.
I think he has a really good chance of getting in, especially with DK's voice actor supporting it.
Good luck with the campaign!

StormC

Smash Hero
I think they'd be pushing for King K. Rool if there's enough support for him from Japan, overseas and from affiliates of Nintendo, like the President of Retro Studios and Richard. At the moment, I don't think they'd be implementing him immediately until they've seen the support and demand for him as DLC, and we Kutthroats have plenty of determination.
Well, Mewtwo was the most wanted ever since Mega Man got added, and now he's coming as DLC.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Block him.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06...to-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

Contrary to what people may say, Miyamoto doesn't hate Donkey Kong Country and in fact was closely involved in it.
Yeah, Miyamoto was the game's champion in Japan. The statement regarding Yoshi's Island was either a) a mistranslation, b) something he said under extreme stress 20 years ago when he was pressured to make Yoshi's Island resemble DKC's graphics, or c) both. All those 30something journalists in the 00s trashing DKC because of blind Miyamoto fanboyism should be eating crow, as far as I'm concerned.

And of course, if it wasn't for him, Returns wouldn't have come about.

Last edited:

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
Nintendo has responded this to me:

Hello Arturo,

Thanks for writing. I would like to start this email by apologizing for the delay in our reply. We have been unseasonably busy for this time of year.
Having grown up along with my Super NES in the early 90's, I can tell you that I too am a big fan of King K. Rool and can understand your interest in seeing him make another appearance in one of our games. While we have not announced anything at this time, I want to assure you that your comments will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo to use as they see fit. If anything is announced, you can bet that we will write about it on our website (www.nintendo.com/whatsnew).

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Jeremy Johnston

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Hello Arturo,

Thanks for writing. I would like to start this email by apologizing for the delay in our reply. We have been unseasonably busy for this time of year.
Having grown up along with my Super NES in the early 90's, I can tell you that I too am a big fan of King K. Rool and can understand your interest in seeing him make another appearance in one of our games. While we have not announced anything at this time, I want to assure you that your comments will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo to use as they see fit. If anything is announced, you can bet that we will write about it on our website (www.nintendo.com/whatsnew).

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Jeremy Johnston
That's a nice thing to hear.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'm considering that if we get K Rool anyways, we wont be seeing him until mid/late 2015. Unless they planned to release a bunch of DLC characters next to Mewtwo. But it seems that Nintendo likes to space out their DLC content. For example. The Animal Crossing DLC pack for Mario Kart 8 is coming until May 2015. A year after the game's release.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I'm considering that if we get K Rool anyways, we wont be seeing him until mid/late 2015. Unless they planned to release a bunch of DLC characters next to Mewtwo. But it seems that Nintendo likes to space out their DLC content. For example. The Animal Crossing DLC pack for Mario Kart 8 is coming until May 2015. A year after the game's release.
If he most definitely is coming then it'd be worth the wait. I'd rather wait half a year/a year to get him in as playable rather than not have him playable at all.

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
That's only the opinion of Nintendo of America. What matters is the opinion of the japanese people of Nintendo. I heard a rumor that NoA wanted KKR to be in this game, but Sakurai refused to put him in.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm pretty surprised the responder gave such a personal account of his experience with K. Rool, most of these replies are pretty standard business fair.

I remember, God, it was almost 10 years ago, people in an online community were arguing about whether or not Yoshi had a saddle or a shell, and someone sent an e-mail about the subject, with the reply essentially saying "thank you for taking an interest in our games, please visit nintendo.com for more details."

There was a point to this post. #K.Rool4Smash4

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I like K. Rool as a character and I'd be glad to have him in Smash, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Dixie show up first if DK gets a DLC fighter.

It's a shame K. Rool hasn't been the villain of a really important DK game in a long time. Had Retro Studios included him in at least DKC Returns I think he would of had a really good shot for Smash 4. If K. Rool has a resurgence between now and the start of Smash 5's development, I think he could be a shoo-in for that installment.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I wonder though, for NON DK Country fans(like me), what is the appeal of K.Rool? I mean I loved the CGI Animations as a kid and thought K.Rool was a fun antagonist, but looking at some video game footage he seems to be completly different.

So what would describe K.Rool's personality best? You know for people like not knowing much about his character?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I've been iffy on whether or not they would actually decide to add K. Rool through DLC, but if we continue with everything we're doing like being very vocal with our support, contacting Nintendo about it, and getting the attention of somewhat big named people I think K. Rool could truly be added. Although I have to wonder how far Sakurai would want to go with DLC after his recent comments.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I wonder though, for NON DK Country fans(like me), what is the appeal of K.Rool? I mean I loved the CGI Animations as a kid and thought K.Rool was a fun antagonist, but looking at some video game footage he seems to be completly different.

So what would describe K.Rool's personality best? You know for people like not knowing much about his character?
He is goofy, but evil and insane at the same time. I could go as far to say that he is sadistic. He is not your greedy Nintendo villain who steals princesses, oh no, he steals his enemies, and tortures them while their hero's come to save them. He doesn't want gold. He wants the blood of the DK family.

StormC

Smash Hero

Let me put it like this:

Bowser is a brute who forces his way through everything, but has his moments of good humor and benevolence.
Dedede is a selfish oaf who likes to cause trouble, and sometimes gets caught up in things way beyond his reach.
Ganondorf is a cold, stoic tyrant who calmly manipulates events to get his way.
Ridley is a vicious, persistent monster who won't stop no matter how many times you resist, but not without his sneakiness.
K. Rool is an insane, deranged, underhanded lunatic who will even risk his own well-being to defeat his enemies.

K. Rool has, in the name of conquest and revenge:

-Faked his own death (including breaking the fourth wall)
-Blew up his own island accidentally and escaped, causing great unrest in the Kremling community
-Built a robot that would pose as the new leader of the Kremlings, which is powered by his archenemies
-Was willing to blow himself up, just to fire a dangerous weapon that would destroy Donkey Kong Island

Bowser, Dedede, even Ganondorf can be reasoned and bargained with, but K. Rool is self-destructively psychotic.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Let me put it like this:

Bowser is a brute who forces his way through everything.
Dedede is a selfish oaf who likes to cause trouble, and sometimes gets caught up in things way beyond his reach.
Ganondorf is a cold, stoic tyrant who calmly manipulates events to get his way.
Ridley is a vicious, persistent monster who won't stop no matter how many times you stop him, but not without his sneakiness.
K. Rool is an insane, deranged, underhanded lunatic who will even risk his own well-being to defeat his enemies.

K. Rool has, in the name of conquest and revenge:

-Faked his own death (including breaking the fourth wall)
-Blew up his own island accidentally and escaped, causing great unrest in the Kremling community
-Built a robot that would pose as the new leader of the Kremlings, which is powered by his archenemies
-Was willing to blow himself up, just to fire a dangerous weapon that would destroy Donkey Kong Island

Bowser, Dedede, even Ganondorf can be reasoned and bargained with, but K. Rool is self-destructively psychotic.

Beautiful.

StormC

Smash Hero
Thank you!

If I had to make a comparison, I would say K. Rool is a lot like Freeza from Dragon Ball (although Freeza's certainly less comical and buffoonish). Both pretend to be calm, composed rulers, but it's really a facade for their sadism and psychopathy, their absolute lack of concern for anybody but themselves (with little issue with openly punishing their minions), and when truly angered, they will throw themselves into harm's way if it means one more chance to destroy their enemy.

And both really, really hate monkeys.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Thank you!

If I had to make a comparison, I would say K. Rool is a lot like Freeza from Dragon Ball (although Freeza certainly less comical and buffoonish). Both pretend to be calm, composed rulers, but it's really a facade for their sadism and psychopathy, their absolute lack of concern for anybody but themselves (with little issue with openly punishing their minions), and when truly angered, they will throw themselves into harm's way if it means one more chance to destroy their enemy.

And both really, really hate monkeys.
This is one the best comparisons I've ever seen. Frieza is my favorite DBZ villain so comparing him to one of Nintendo's greatest villains is amazing. What if DK and K. Rool got in a DBZ battle? Perfect idea for a reveal trailer (not really) :p

Shog

Smash Ace
Oh I am glad you brought up the Frieza comparison, now I get him. Of course as a Nintendo Villian of Konkey Dong he is more comic/ child friendly. And I laughed about the Monkey part.

Thanks for the explanation, have my cherryzard support! K.Rool for Smash must happen.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Oh I am glad you brought up the Frieza comparison, now I get him. Of course as a Nintendo Villian of Konkey Dong he is more comic/ child friendly. And I laughed about the Monkey part.

Thanks for the explanation, have my cherryzard support! K.Rool for Smash must happen.
Welcome to the Klan! you are now one of us!

Last edited:

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet

Hello Arturo,

Having grown up along with my Super NES in the early 90's, I can tell you that I too am a big fan of King K. Rool and can understand your interest in seeing him make another appearance in one of our games. While we have not announced anything at this time, I want to assure you that your comments will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo to use as they see fit. If anything is announced, you can bet that we will write about it on our website(www.nintendo.com/whatsnew)
Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Jeremy Johnston
This is another reason K. Rool is possibly in as DLC.
Nintendo cares about their fans' requests and as we see in this letter, even staff want our king in Smash 4 DLC.
This letter tells us something.
#K.Rool4Smash4DLC

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
For anyone else who's interested, I recommend watching these sets of DK64 cutscenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdTFGXTrLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62x8v3UAlM

Some people feel the insanity and desperation present in K. Rool's characterization has been toned down somewhat ever since Rare split from Nintendo, but if Retro took up using the character again, I am sure they would draw the most inspiration from his portrayal in the original trilogy.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Oh.... please. Why should Nintendo bring him as DLC? Unlike Mewtwo he wasn't presented in the last games. Also Sakurai really didn't care much of the DKC-Series this time around. Only one new stage, no items, no AT, only two Smash Run-Enemies and only one new remix.

Why should he than be cared about DKC related DLC?

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic but I always like to think Rare and Retro have different takes on Donkey Kong by asking this slightly reworded questions; who would steal bananas and why would you steal bananas?

Guy 1: Alright guys, we got a big strong gorilla who's very overprotective of his stash of bananas. Who in their right mind would actually attempt to steal bananas from an angry ape?
Guy 2: I dunno, maybe someone who's not in their right mind at all?
Guy 1: Hmm, I like your kind of thinking!
Guy with one arm: I saw a crocodile at the zoo the other day and fed him a banana. Crocodiles LOVE bananas!
Guy 1: Genius! Let's give him a cape and crown and call it a day!

Guy 1: Alright guys, the DK series is in our hands now! Now Donkey Kong loves bananas and we should make a story around that. Let's think logically here; why would anyone want to get their hands on bananas?
Guy 2:...
Guy 3:...
Guy 7:...Magic?
Guy 1: Work with me heeeere, magic foooor...
Guy 2: I-I don't know how to answer-
Pizza Delivery Guy: To revive an ancient race of Tiki people! That will be $22.50.
Guy 1: Promotion! Cats in the cradle you guys!
Miyamoto: And make sure DK blows!

StormC

Smash Hero
Slightly off topic but I always like to think Rare and Retro have different takes on Donkey Kong by asking this slightly reworded questions; who would steal bananas and why would you steal bananas?

Guy 1: Alright guys, we got a big strong gorilla who's very overprotective of his stash of bananas. Who in their right mind would actually attempt to steal bananas from an angry ape?
Guy 2: I dunno, maybe someone who's not in their right mind at all?
Guy 1: Hmm, I like your kind of thinking!
Guy with one arm: I saw a crocodile at the zoo the other day and fed him a banana. Crocodiles LOVE bananas!
Guy 1: Genius! Let's give him a cape and crown and call it a day!!
According to Rare, K. Rool stole the bananas to either make DK starve so he could take over his turf... or he just loves bananas.

Jungle Climber has him stating he hates bananas, interestingly enough.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
K. Rool and the Kremlings were actually created as antagonists for a new Battletoads game. However, Rare found they fit perfectly in DKC, and decided to use them there instead.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Top Bottom