• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
K. Rool's lack of tail and cape were due to shoddy cartoon animation that Paon just happened to carry over into the main series.

When people claim K. Rool hasn't been seen since DK64, they're partially right, since that's where K. Rool's tail was last sighted in a game.
K.Rool's tail was so small you normally wouldn't see it anyways.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, his tail was only ever long in DK64, since it was largely hidden by his cape in the DKCs. For that reason, it's possible animators never pictured him as having a tail to begin with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I prefer his DK64 look over everything. Though I was already overjoyed PAON already used K.Rool in the first place! It's a simple fact that crocodiles have tails, so K.Rool imo should have one to.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Kutthroats! I come bearing good news.

King K. Rool is inching closer and closer to Little Mac on Shortie's poll. At the time of writing, K. Rool was at 595, while Mac was at 599.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As far as seniority as popular newcomers goes, Ridley > K. Rool > Little Mac

How deserving each is? Far, far more debatable.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As far as seniority as popular newcomers goes, Ridley > K. Rool > Little Mac

How deserving each is? Far, far more debatable.
Actually.

As far as seniority.

Little Mac <Ridley <K.Rool
Punch Out!! is a really old series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool is most deserving I think. Seriously, DKC > Metroid > Mega Man in Nintendo importance. Hence the characters should be listed like that. However, DKC and Metroid are pretty close. So both are about on equal level. But if it had to came down to it, I'd pick K.Rool before Ridley.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, for my personal history: DKC>Mega Man>Metroid. But thats just the order I played it on. still never actually played a legit metroid on a carterage or disk.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Diddy had been in Melee and K. Rool's fanbase had grown earlier, I'd put K. Rool ahead of Ridley in seniority, but since Ridley was allegedly in Brawl's Top 5 most wanted newcomers as well, I give him the edge there.

The other day, we discussed importance in the roster thread. Personally, K. Rool being the main villain of what was Nintendo's second highest-selling franchise for a number of years (main villain being a key term) and keeping that role in the majority of recent DK games gives him the advantage in my biased eyes. Of course, when Ridley has such strong ties in Smash in addition to being the most recurring villain of an admittedly mediocre-selling franchise, it's not a clear call. Little Mac can be argued as being more or less important than both, since his retro titles were major hits, and remain iconic to this day.

D

Deleted member

Guys, there was a going to be a "Diddy Kong Pilot" game for GBA.
One of the early betas had half Mario characters, half DK characters.

But that's not the main thing about it; K. Rool was playable, and he had a new outfit. If I had to describe it, it'd be a fighter pilot outfit.

Later betas dropped the Mario characters apparently.

But here's a clearer image of K. Rool:

What could have been....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

But that's not the main thing about it; K. Rool was playable, and he had a new outfit. If I had to describe it, it'd be a fighter pilot outfit.
It makes me wonder; did this game end up as the Barrel Blast racing game for the Wii?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Later betas dropped the Mario characters apparently.

What could have been....
I've played a little bit of a leaked ROM. Damn, what could've been was easily the best GBA racer ever...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Transcribed from K. Rool's story in Golden's video:

"While skimming the treetops, looking for any Monkeys to Mangle, K. Rool discovered an Ancient Temple Ruin. After setting his plane down in a nearby clearing, he headed for the entrance, and with makeshift torch in hand, stepped inside. With just the flickering light from the torch, he moved silently along the dusty old corridors, checking for traps! At a dead end deep inside, he found a stone tablet. K. Rool picked it up and with one hand brushed away the thick layers of dust. He brought the torchlight closer and saw a beautifully painted frieze. The Kremling King cast his eyes across the symbols. As he tried to make sense of them, an idea entered his head, and he said out loud, It looks like a map to ... ... ... ... to Eldorado!

With the tablet as his guide, K. Rool set off to try and find the place he believed to be Eldorado, the mysterious City of Gold. He followed the path of symbols and covered all four corners of the globe. He searched high and low, through rain and snow, but no matter how hard he tried, it just seemed like he was never going to find it. Then out of the blue he spotted a tiny island far below. He thought he could just make out a huge gate on the far side ... was this it? Seeing a flat piece of ground near the gate, he pulled the plane into a steep dive and headed down to check it out! K. Rool was amazed at the door's beauty right up close, and his vivid imagination ran wild, wondering what riches lay beyond them. Several small footsteps to his right stole his attention for a moment.

So, another adventurer has found their way to our door! There have been many before you Mr. Lizard. Even that silly Cranky Kong has tried to get past these doors -- but left empty handed! Do you think you can do any better, hmmmm?

I do everything better than that old goat, so this should be no problem at all for me. After all I am the King of the Kremlings! Anyway, the tricky bit was finding the place -- now I'm here it should be relatively simple.

If you say so! I am Nikiki, the First Guardian of the Gate. Only we have the magical powers to open these doors. For us to do this, you must complete a series of tests. These are four in all, but no one has ever passed the first one!

Look, you might as well open the doors now and save us all a lot of time and effort! No? ... ... OK, then, tell me what I have to do, so I can get it over with as soon as possible.

You should not take the tasks lightly. They have been selected to guard the four magical stones that can open the doors. The first task takes place in Crackpot Keep, so that is where you will begin your quest. The Fire Stone is locked under a grille in the centre of the Keep. Collect all four keys within the time limit to get your hands on it! However you will need to avoid the mines that surround them. Some can be shot and others can't -- this isn't easy. Good luck!"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... technically Ridley's the oldest, even if his series isn't the oldest. I'm pretty sure current popularity outranks seniority though, Japanese popularity more specifically, and it does sound like K.Rool's more popular than the other two in Japan. I'm willing to bet that K.Rool is more likely than either of the other characters...
There are none of the silly reoccurring size arguments. No real reason not to include him...
Wait, who owns him at this point? Rare or Nintendo? I believe I've heard that Nintendo owns the Kongs but not the Kremlins... is that right?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah... technically Ridley's the oldest, even if his series isn't the oldest. I'm pretty sure current popularity outranks seniority though, Japanese popularity more specifically, and it does sound like K.Rool's more popular than the other two in Japan. I'm willing to bet that K.Rool is more likely than either of the other characters...
There are none of the silly reoccurring size arguments. No real reason not to include him...
Wait, who owns him at this point? Rare or Nintendo? I believe I've heard that Nintendo owns the Kongs but not the Kremlins... is that right?
Everything that Rare made for the DK series is owned by Nintendo, while other Rare characters remain on Rare's hands.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nintendo owns every character associated with DKC. This is also backed by K. Rool's appearances since DK64.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ah man. Perfect Dark was a fantastic game... I recently played the Xbox 360 Perfect Dark Zero and it was awwwwwfulllll. And now I'm reminiscing over Timesplitters...

ANYWAY. Good to know that I was misinformed about Nintendo not owning kremlins.

Is there anyone here who isn't extremely confident in K.Rool getting in? As far as the characters that I support go, K.Rool's pretty much the only one that I'm absolutely sure will get in.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Is there anyone here who isn't extremely confident in K.Rool getting in? As far as the characters that I support go, K.Rool's pretty much the only one that I'm absolutely sure will get in.
I'm actually not, but I'll rate his chances at higher than they are lower (maybe 75%). I can see Dixie getting in instead because she's already been considered, and she'd be easier to adapt from Diddy's resources. K. Rool still has that "relevancy" problem, and that could bode poorly for him if this game just ends up being a big advertisement. In terms of placement, he's one of the next characters to finish the race, but he's still got a couple of hurdles to jump over.

D

Deleted member

Ah man. Perfect Dark was a fantastic game... I recently played the Xbox 360 Perfect Dark Zero and it was awwwwwfulllll. And now I'm reminiscing over Timesplitters...

ANYWAY. Good to know that I was misinformed about Nintendo not owning kremlins.

When it comes to newcomers, K. Rool is one of these characters that I'm confident will get in, but don't see as guarantee. In other words, he has really high chance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
... huh. I guess I just hope that Sakurai also wants more villains. I'm not sure she'd actually be using Diddy's resources enough to make that a reason for her inclusion (unless she's put in as a shamefully lazy clone). I don't think Dixie's significantly more relevant than K.Rool, and K.Rool is historically much more important to the series.

I dunno. I just can't think of another character that I think seems more likely to get in.

D

Deleted member

... huh. I guess I just hope that Sakurai also wants more villains. I'm not sure she'd actually be using Diddy's resources enough to make that a reason for her inclusion (unless she's put in as a shamefully lazy clone). I don't think Dixie's significantly more relevant than K.Rool, and K.Rool is historically much more important to the series.

I dunno. I just can't think of another character that I think seems more likely to get in.
Well there is Mewtwo, who is pretty much in as this point. But when it comes to newcomers, King K. Rool is the most likely addition.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

i hope Sakurai is thinking that way too.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm actually not, but I'll rate his chances at higher than they are lower (maybe 75%). I can see Dixie getting in instead because she's already been considered, and she'd be easier to adapt from Diddy's resources. K. Rool still has that "relevancy" problem, and that could bode poorly for him if this game just ends up being a big advertisement. In terms of placement, he's one of the next characters to finish the race, but he's still got a couple of hurdles to jump over.
I frequently revisit whether or not these are actually problems or just the product of us fans wanting to micromanage all possible outcomes as far as character inclusions go.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey DK nerds, does this list contain all of Donkey Kong's Promintent, Important, and Fan Favorites?

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Cranky Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Funky Kong
Lanky Kong
King K. Rool
Tiki Tong

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey DK nerds, does this list contain all of Donkey Kong's Promintent, Important, and Fan Favorites?

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Cranky Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Funky Kong
Lanky Kong
King K. Rool
Tiki Tong

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)
Put Chunky Kong, Tiny Kong, and Kiddy Kong in there.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Perhaps have the Dixie / Kiddy and Diddy / Dixie tag teams as options? They seem popular. Tiki Tong wouldn't really work as a character anyway, Maybe add Stanley the Bugman..?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I assume this is going to be for your well-anticipated new poll?

Since I fully expect the list to be whittled down to the two playable Kongs, K. Rool and Dixie anyways, I'll throw out Klump & Krusha as a duo, as well as Stanley the Bugman (who Diddy has beat me to suggesting, but still).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Perhaps have the Dixie / Kiddy and Diddy / Dixie tag teams as options? They seem popular. Tiki Tong wouldn't really work as a character anyway, Maybe add Stanley the Bugman..?
I'll add Chunky, Tiny, Stanley and Kiddie but remember this isn't about movesets (Team ups for the most part are oust, with a few exceptions like Plusle & Minun, Pikmin 3 quartet, and IC's) So I don't add things like "Mask Link" or "Diddy Dixie Team up" anymore to my polls, it gives too much false information about the popularity of a character. I could go further into why I don't do it, if you need more of an explanation. But I just tend to stay away from this kind o thing.

As for Tiki Tong, I have Giygas and Andross in there as well. Don't really want them there personally, BUT, fans asked for it, so why not?

I assume this is going to be for your well-anticipated new poll?

Since I fully expect the list to be whittled down to the two playable Kongs, K. Rool and Dixie anyways, I'll throw out Klump & Krusha as a duo, as well as Stanley the Bugman (who Diddy has beat me to suggesting, but still).
I'll only add Klump and Krusha as a duo, if you consider them similar to Plusle & Minun, Baby Bros, and the IC's. Are they a "come as a pair, or nothing at all" type character?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Movesets can kinda be a dealbreaker in wanting a character, but I see what you mean.

Top Bottom