• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe cause of the backlash Dixie and Kiddy got from being the main characters DKC3? And Rare wanted to focus more on Donkey and Diddy while creating new faces? Chunky was a good idea over Kiddy, cause he's bigger and stronger than DK. Kiddy couldn't do the same and make it believable.

Lanky will always be my second favorite in DK64 though. The sounds he makes alone already make him more than loveable. :laugh:

Ninja'd by BirthNote. Good ****.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Maybe cause of the backlash Dixie and Kiddy got from being the main characters DKC3? And Rare wanted to focus more on Donkey and Diddy while creating new faces? Chunky was a good idea over Kiddy, cause he's bigger and stronger than DK. Kiddy couldn't do the same and make it believable.

Lanky will always be my second favorite in DK64 though. The sounds he makes alone already make him more than loveable. :laugh:

Ninja'd by BirthNote. Good ****.
I agree Lanky & Chunky were awsome i loved all the Kongs in that game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I like Chunky more than Kiddy, and Dixie more than Tiny tbh. Lanky's cool; I'm glad he doesn't look like a kong who was already playable at one point, so it's good that Rare didn't take the obviously lazy route that they did back in the day like with DK/Funky/Swanky and Diddy/Dixie.

It's funny though that Tiny and Dixie look very different despite being related while Diddy and Dixie look so similar. Same for Kiddy and Chunky; they're not visual clones of eachother either.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Anyways, since it came up in the Roster thread very briefly and is one of the few things we haven't discussed in this thread to date, may as well bring up Donkey Kong Jr. here. Even if I remove the bias of being a K. Rool supporter, I think the chances of the most internationally popular Nintendo newcomer not being included in an era where the Wii U needs gamer support are miniscule. As such, DK Jr. would be added in addition to, not instead of K. Rool, which seemed the desire of the guy who suggested it.

Considering DK Jr. would undoubtedly be a clone, even though he could throw fruit and numbers the same way Doc could use needles and a stethoscope, his competition would be with Dixie Kong instead. That would boil down to which Kong the developers wanted to Luigify and add last minute. Though considering Captain Ganondorf of all people became Melee's last clone because Sakurai "couldn't think of anyone else" (paraphrased), I don't think DK Jr.'s chances are great at all to begin with.
I actually like the idea of DK Jr. I even made a non-clone grappler-based moveset for him. He'd be an interesting fourth DK character while also being a retro character.

You're definitely right; Junior would be added in addition to K. Rool, and would instead be competing with Dixie for his spot. I have a question. Who would be fine with having K. Rool and a non-clone DK Jr., at the expense of Dixie Kong? Would you blow your top with anger, or would that actually be acceptable? What if it was a semi-clone/Luigified DK Jr.?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I suppose I COULD accept DK Jr. as long a King K.Rool makes it before him. And yeah, him not replacing Diddy and ****. Honestly, if THAT would ever happen I'd seriously go wild ape **** on the first person I'd see. And then, up to Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

I actually like the idea of DK Jr. I even made a non-clone grappler-based moveset for him. He'd be an interesting fourth DK character while also being a retro character.

You're definitely right; Junior would be added in addition to K. Rool, and would instead be competing with Dixie for his spot. I have a question. Who would be fine with having K. Rool and a non-clone DK Jr., at the expense of Dixie Kong? Would you blow your top with anger, or would that actually be acceptable? What if it was a semi-clone/Luigified DK Jr.?
I'd be pretty disappointed if we got DK Jr. Seems like a waste of a spot and Dixie is a so much better addition.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Smash is really the one place where DK Jr. could be revitalized, since Diddy and Baby DK work together to fill his roles as both sidekick and younger DK in the Country and spin-off games respectively. I'd prefer Dixie as well, mainly because DK Jr. would throw a major wrench into the series' canon, though if both characters' selling points are that they're grapplers, I figure the community would welcome them interchangeably.

Although I figure a few people would still have this reaction to either:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK Jr. has been replaced already in the main series by current Donkey Kong, who is believed to be DK Jr. grown up actually, and his actual spiritual succesor: Diddy. To be honest, there was quite some Diddy-hate from DK Jr. fans in the pre-Brawl days. Then again, the pre-Brawl days are comparable to how life was in prehistorical times so... :rolleyes:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This guy right now is my most supported Ridley is more to the side now.

Just look at this guy! LOOK AT HIM ! the quality such a badass my days....K.ROOL 4 SM4SH BLAAAAH!!! King K.Rool Quality.png King K.Rool Quality.png

D

Deleted member

I have a solution that while, not canon by any means, explains quite a bit.

Classic DK = Cranky
DK Jr. = Funky Kong
DK the 3rd = the current DK

Funky as DK Jr. all grown up just makes a crapton of sense when you really think about it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It'd make Funky even more awesome. And explains why he's in Mario Kart.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Too bad K. Rool is unlikely to appear in Mario Kart since having a villain to compete with Bowser in the spin-offs is virtually unheard-of. Someone at Namco must have really liked the character to put him in Sluggers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sluggers was made by Namco..?

Really!?

If they already made a Phareo K.Rool, maybe they could also make an unique version for K.Rool in this one? It seems more than likely now...

Also: Namco made the Donkey Konga games. And compared to Jungle Beat, it was filled with DKC characters. So these are some rather good signs for King K.Rool in Smash!

WHY THE HELL DO I JUST REASLISE THIS NOW? imsostoopidlol

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Namco developed them? Must've either forgot or not been around when this was mentioned before, but that's great! Definitely gives me more hope for the king in addition to some other stuff mentioned here recently.

@ Dark Phazon: I shift to wanting K. Rool more too every now and then, though as one who grew up with both, it's not easy to decide which one I'd actually want more.

And I think I remember that Cranky picture. Classic.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I never did get why they went with a pharaoh design in Sluggers. I suppose it had to do with the vaguely pyramid-like look to the jungle world in the game's campaign mode. Still, you'd think they'd have had him in some sort of baseball player persona. Imagine how awesome "King K. Ruth" would've been.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Heh, what kind of original K.Rool would you want to see? Seems like he's done a lot of the recognizable leader types...
We've already had:
King K. Rool
Kaptain K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Pharaoh K. Rool

New ones...?
Konquistador K. Rool (Cortez/Spaniard conqueror theme, still has blunderbuss and cutlass)
Krazy K. Rool (Straightjacketed, uses whip-like sleeves)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait, I thought it was common knowledge that Super Sluggers was made by Namco. Especially in this thread of all places! I wouldn't mind seeing a new persona for K. Rool, but I'm fairly certain Sakurai will want to kapitalize on his original charm and character, to appeal to the nostalgia.

I still expect several alt costumes for him, since he's arguably the best character to utilize them with.

Edit: And I"m gonna be honest with everyone: I don't ever want to see DK Jr.

Maybe it's because I have such fond memories of the Country mythos and characters, and have a strong dislike of the Arcade games because I feel Nintendo puts them in the spotlight too much when they can't hold a candle to the Country games, but I honestly don't want DK Jr. I just don't want to see a DK Arcade character, modern DK as he may be, in over ANY possible Country characters.

As everyone should know, my character priority is:

K. Rool > Dixie > Funky > Dixie+ Kiddy >Lanky > Cranky

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Heh, what kind of original K.Rool would you want to see? Seems like he's done a lot of the recognizable leader types...
We've already had:
King K. Rool
Kaptain K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Pharaoh K. Rool

New ones...?
Konquistador K. Rool (Cortez/Spaniard conqueror theme, still has blunderbuss and cutlass)
Krazy K. Rool (Straightjacketed, uses whip-like sleeves)
Boxer K Rool?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, not having played Super Sluggers helps a lot with not knowing who made it I guess. :reverse:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, not having played Super Sluggers helps a lot with not knowing who made it I guess. :reverse:
I'm one of those people who bought Super Sluggers entirely because of K. Rool's appearance in it. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I have no bad feels about having done that. It was a decent game by itself, but I definitely wouldn't have gone out to buy it if K. Rool hadn't been in it.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm one of those people who bought Super Sluggers entirely because of K. Rool's appearance in it. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I have no bad feels about having done that. It was a decent game by itself, but I definitely wouldn't have gone out to buy it if K. Rool hadn't been in it.
I bought it only last year, mostly because I wasn't interested enough to buy it full price when it first came out. K. Rool was one of the things that influenced my decision to get it.

As for new personas:
Kolonel K. Rool (Confederate army captain)
Komrade K. Ruschev (Soviet premier)
Kaiser K. Rullenberg (German kaiser; Confederation to WWI era)
Chief Krool Krow (Sioux war leader)
Kardinal Richeroul (French Catholic cardinal)
J. K. Rooling (wizard)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think I died at J. K. Rooling and now I need to see fanart. Right now.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I think it's been brought up how Namco working on Sm4sh means good things for K. Rool based on their history with the series (and spinoffs). It's really interesting to me, the dichotomy that seems to exist at Nintendo.

- People who want to continue the spirit of the DKC canon characters, even if they don't have the means to make similar style games.
- People that don't know where to take DK, think he needs multiple directions, or multiple fresh starts, or for some reason only needs to be related to Arcade DK.

I'm glad there are two sides to this. (And that the first half is working on Smash.) Now if only Paon would get in on some of this action.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
J. K. Rooling!?!?! That's F***ING GENIOUS!

I thought up a classic vampire persona called Drakroola. A black cape is mandatory for this one.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought i'd come here to escape the derp disease but i guess not...
Derping? Psh, we're thinking up alternate K. Rool persona names, man! J. K. Rooling is a wizard K. Rool, Drakroola is a vampire K. Rool, etc.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll work on drawing other K. Rool personas...some time. I drew this Banjo with a touchpad, I could do better with an actual mouse...Once I'm done with work, I'll try.

Top Bottom