• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Who's E3 showcase will be first you think?
Who was first last year?
I think that Issac from golden sun, whatever new mario rep it is(toad, paper mario, waluigi or geno), bandanna dee, ridley, and megaman will be shown this year. (assuming they all get in).

EDIT: i think MK, Pit, ZSS, Wario and Snake were the first to be shown. last time

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think that Issac from golden sun, whatever new mario rep it is(toad, paper mario, waluigi or geno), bandanna dee, ridley, and megaman. (assuming they all get in).

EDIT: i think MK, Pit, ZSS, Wario and Snake were the first to be shown.
Na na..you misunderstood my Question.

Whos do you think will go first Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo?
Also who went first last year?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As a long-time K. Rool supporter, I've visited this thread prior to my joining, so I've seen much of what has been said on the subject. That being said, I'm sure I've missed some discussion (I'm not going to read through 40+ pages of content), so forgive me if this question is redundant, but what are the opinions of the king's glorious golden gut? Should he adopt the (what I assume to be breastplate) of his Rare design, do you think it should have special hurtbox properties, such as taking reduced damage? I realize that similar instances, such as Bowser's shell and Roy's armor, do not have this feature, but I can't get the thought out of my mind of how odd it would be for K. Rool to take the same force from his back as he would his front. I suppose I don't care what they do with it one way or the other, since I'd love to have him in no matter what, but I think it's an interesting thing to consider.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a long-time K. Rool supporter, I've visited this thread prior to my joining, so I've seen much of what has been said on the subject. That being said, I'm sure I've missed some discussion (I'm not going to read through 40+ pages of content), so forgive me if this question is redundant, but what are the opinions of the king's glorious golden gut? Should he adopt the (what I assume to be breastplate) of his Rare design, do you think it should have special hurtbox properties, such as taking reduced damage? I realize that similar instances, such as Bowser's shell and Roy's armor, do not have this feature, but I can't get the thought out of my mind of how odd it would be for K. Rool to take the same force from his back as he would his front. I suppose I don't care what they do with it one way or the other, since I'd love to have him in no matter what, but I think it's an interesting thing to consider.
Good to have another Kutthroat. Welcome to the boards! :D

The idea you propose is interesting...

Did they do that for Bowser in PM? I could have sworn they did.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Good to have another Kutthroat. Welcome to the boards! :D

The idea you propose is interesting...

Did they do that for Bowser in PM? I could have sworn they did.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I do not believe that they did in the same way I proposed. Bowser has increased armor and priority on most of his attacks, which make him function as a sort of defensive powerhouse. But to my knowledge, his shell doesn't have unique properties. Makes me wonder if K. Rool should be unique in that regard, or if he should just be like Bowser.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I do not believe that they did in the same way I proposed. Bowser has increased armor and priority on most of his attacks, which make him function as a sort of defensive powerhouse. But to my knowledge, his shell doesn't have unique properties. Makes me wonder if K. Rool should be unique in that regard, or if he should just be like Bowser.
Well Bowser can certainly use all the help he can get and it would only make sense for K.Rool to have that ability as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just noticed that DKCR 3D gives the player 6 hearts

WTF is up with that.

Back in my day, we got up to 3 hits MAX

1 hit, your animal buddy is gone.

2 hits, your first character is gone

3 hits, you loose.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just noticed that DKCR 3D gives the player 6 hearts

WTF is up with that.

Back in my day, we got up to 3 hits MAX

1 hit, your animal buddy is gone.

2 hits, your first character is gone

3 hits, you loose.
Well, it's just an alternative mode.

You can still play with normal rules.

Then again, you're not too keen on these new high tech 3D machines anyways, are ya Cranky? :troll:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That's a great idea! If Link can get away with having his Hylian shield block attacks based on how he's standing, then they could implement this! They should do it for Bowser too--attacks from behind do less damage than attacks from the front, and vice-versa for K. Rool. It's like a strategic advantage.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Cranky: ''games were a lot harder back in my day''

Looool you tell em Cranky! Someone please post the pic up!

Also i hope K.Rool had his rock hard golden chest from DKC & DK64 not that fat yellow wario bellybfrom the cartoon and super sluggers...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden chest =yes.

Also, am still dissapointdd with no Diddy mode in Returns 3DS. :/ And wouldn't get my hopes up yet for K.Rool appearing in the new world as a boss. Though if that WOULD happen, I'll get a 3DS instantly. Money or no money.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Golden chest =yes.

Also, am still dissapointdd with no Diddy mode in Returns 3DS. :/ And wouldn't get my hopes up yet for K.Rool appearing in the new world as a boss. Though if that WOULD happen, I'll get a 3DS instantly. Money or no money.
Your gonna be over the moon if they release another DKR arent you? XD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. And so would my money...

But I have doubts bigger than the Eifeltower that we'll actually get a new DKR...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If he gets in seriously theres no kidding that ofc he will have his Sluggers look...depends how far Sm4sh will go with costumes..they seem to get better and better though Brawls palettes were better than Melee's lets hope they take it further and add costumes.

Also would old school red eye, crooked teeth, golden chest red cape K.Rool be a stretch for a Alt.costume? I just realllly wanna play as that K.Rool than the sluggers one..

I wanna feel like a beast when im him like he was in DK64.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If he gets in, I wouldn't get my hopes up about his moveset. He has great moveset potential, but so do a lot of characters already in the games that have underwhelming sets. Look at Bowser for example. They could have done so much more with his moveset considering how many final boss appearances he has, but his moveset is inredibly bland except for his fire-breath gimmick. If K. Rool gets in I except him to be much the same. Nintendo creates great characters and universes but never fulfills the potential they have.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If he gets in, I wouldn't get my hopes up about his moveset. He has great moveset potential, but so do a lot of characters already in the games that have underwhelming sets. Look at Bowser for example. They could have done so much more with his moveset considering how many final boss appearances he has, but his moveset is inredibly bland except for his fire-breath gimmick. If K. Rool gets in I except him to be much the same. Nintendo creates great characters and universes but never fulfills the potential they have.
I sort of feel the same way. K. Rool has fantastic moveset potential, but so do many other characters who are already playable, and yet received moves that are almost completely made up. Heck, even DK himself has some original moves where he could have had something more expected (headbutt instead of, say, a barrel throw). I'm reluctant to see what Sakurai ends up doing with K. Rool, since he could easily ignore the character's mythos and instead try and make him from scratch. Not saying it's guaranteed, of course. I do feel like he'll probably ignore DKC3, for example (as if Nintendo doesn't do that enough already), and instead of giving him a helicopter pack recovery, simply give him some generic "super jump and crash" move.

Oh, can I be a Kutthroat, by the way?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh yeah, I agree. But I would argue K. Rool has more to work with than Bowser Pre-Melee. I'm suprised Sakurai wasn't inspired my by Bowser's moves in SMRPG like he was with Peach.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I sort of feel the same way. K. Rool has fantastic moveset potential, but so do many other characters who are already playable, and yet received moves that are almost completely made up. Heck, even DK himself has some original moves where he could have had something more expected (headbutt instead of, say, a barrel throw). I'm reluctant to see what Sakurai ends up doing with K. Rool, since he could easily ignore the character's mythos and instead try and make him from scratch. Not saying it's guaranteed, of course. I do feel like he'll probably ignore DKC3, for example (as if Nintendo doesn't do that enough already), and instead of giving him a helicopter pack recovery, simply give him some generic "super jump and crash" move.

Oh, can I be a Kutthroat, by the way?
To be fair I think he didn't get a barrel throw because the barrel was an item in the 64 game. What surprises me more is that he didn't get a roll for his dash attack.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
To be fair I think he didn't get a barrel throw because the barrel was an item in the 64 game. What surprises me more is that he didn't get a roll for his dash attack.
Yeah, good point. Probably not the best example. Still, the headbutt and other moves kinda came out of nowhere despite obvious choices to use (like the roll dash attack you suggest). I don't expect for K.Rool to have a totally uninspired moveset, but I can see a few weird decisions, like they did with DK and other characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Diddy also throws bananas. They have no excuse for not giving DK a Barrel Throw now. Brawl- had DK use it as his Side B, and it's pretty damn balanced. Not overpowered or anything.

Project M also gave him the DKC roll attack for dash attack. It even rolls of cliffs, like in DKC. Diddy's cartwheel also does this.

D

Deleted member

DK having no projectile is rather fitting, though.
If anything, if they wanted to expand on him a little more, I'd say DK as a Zangief-type character (in other words, a grappler) would be an interesting route to take.

I know that this sounds more like something Kuma would say rather than myself, but something about DK gives off a grappler vibe to me. As a joke, a grappling move that involves slamming the opponent could even be called the "Banana Slamma" :troll:.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK's Side B should also be a command grab I felt.

I dunno, but command grabs equals awesomeness to me. :dk2: Mewtwo should also have one with Side B. And Ridley to.

And to be honest... I now only picture K.Rool and King Dedede as the only heavy weights without command grabs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was never a fan of command grabs, to be honest. That is, until I saw the flying slam. Any such attack should be more than just another way to grab the opponent imo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo should have Psychic, which should only 'act' like a command grab.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IDK, DK seems like more of a "Beat everything in my way with my fists" kind of guy to me than a grappler

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think Dixie would be a better grappler. She's 'small' unlike most grabaholics and she's a monkey/chimp/ape--a Kong. That'd make her stand out from other grapplers.

DK should have that DKC and Returns roll as a dash attack though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I 100/ agree i dunno why either but its stupid..

Like Project M changed Wario's side (B) to his known charge shoulder tackle and he should have a charger throw like from the wario land series.

Also D.K with a barrel throw is perfect nice mixup for him adding a projectile like thing for him.

Hopefully we will see more suited moves for chars in Sm4sh with the re-vamped movesets Sakurai is doing though i doubt it...

Also why you guys think Sakurai chose to re-vamp the movesets? do you think project M had anything to do with it?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Also why you guys think Sakurai chose to re-vamp the movesets? do you think project M had anything to do with it?
I hadn't heard about Sakurai saying that. Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me. I feel like a lot of the older veterans could be updated to match their more recent histories, considering the Original 12 haven't really changed much, moveset-wise, since the first game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, just went through the past 6 or so pages to update the OP. Banjodorf's DK Isle stage is now featured (he should totally post some music for it :p), a new 'GIFs' tab has been added, the 'Fanart' tab has been expanded a fair bit, and the Kutthroat list is now at a hardy 94 members.

Anyways, since it came up in the Roster thread very briefly and is one of the few things we haven't discussed in this thread to date, may as well bring up Donkey Kong Jr. here. Even if I remove the bias of being a K. Rool supporter, I think the chances of the most internationally popular Nintendo newcomer not being included in an era where the Wii U needs gamer support are miniscule. As such, DK Jr. would be added in addition to, not instead of K. Rool, which seemed the desire of the guy who suggested it.

Considering DK Jr. would undoubtedly be a clone, even though he could throw fruit and numbers the same way Doc could use needles and a stethoscope, his competition would be with Dixie Kong instead. That would boil down to which Kong the developers wanted to Luigify and add last minute. Though considering Captain Ganondorf of all people became Melee's last clone because Sakurai "couldn't think of anyone else" (paraphrased), I don't think DK Jr.'s chances are great at all to begin with.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
DK Jr. has been forgotten by Nintendo. I'm not sure, but I've heard that Diddy Kong is his spiritual successor.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
DK Jr. has been forgotten by Nintendo. I'm not sure, but I've heard that Diddy Kong is his spiritual successor.
Yeah. IIRC Diddy was supposed to be DK Jr....but Nintendo felt the redesign was too much of a radical departure from the original and made Rare turn him into an OC.

Top Bottom