• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I miss the era of quality Player's Guides as well, especially since those gave Cranky a whole new forum for griping. I picked up Brawl's several years ago, and distinctly remember Meta Knight receiving a 6/10 rating...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I miss the era of quality Player's Guides as well, especially since those gave Cranky a whole new forum for griping. I picked up Brawl's several years ago, and distinctly remember Meta Knight receiving a 6/10 rating...
Yeah. Fighting game strategy guides are usually ridden with misinformation because they're released alongside the game, not years after, when its metagame has been developed. Most of the veterans' rankings and commentary were obviously describing their Melee incarnations (such as Jigglypuff and Falcon being rated high and Kirby low). I guess even the guide authors were, like many of us, expecting Brawl to be Melee 2.0.

I remember Snake's bio claiming that he was a high-tier character because of him being a third-party guest, which somehow made him "dominant." To say nothing of Sonic, of course...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, the player's guides associated with Nintendo Power back in the day were the best, bar none. Some of them had some unique artwork for some games that I never saw anywhere else too, even online.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah. Fighting game strategy guides are usually ridden with misinformation because they're released alongside the game, not years after, when its metagame has been developed. Most of the veterans' rankings and commentary were obviously describing their Melee incarnations (such as Jigglypuff and Falcon being rated high and Kirby low). I guess even the guide authors were, like many of us, expecting Brawl to be Melee 2.0.

I remember Snake's bio claiming that he was a high-tier character because of him being a third-party guest, which somehow made him "dominant." To say nothing of Sonic, of course...
Don't forget, Bowser is by far the slowest character, regardless of his dash being on par with Mario's in reality.

I'm currently picturing K. Rool being arbitrarily compared to Link based on projectiles alone in SSB4's guide.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can see that. "And as a projectile character, King K. Rool's cannonballs may be high damage, but they're big and clunky. Perhaps you'd be better off with a certain familiar swordsman's bow."

>.>
<.<

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i think he shouldnt like litreally shoot cannonballs...maybe with his Left B leap theres a chance a random cannonball will drop from the sky?

Also ofc his crown throw.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
le sigh. Screw the Prima strategy guides or whoever's making guide books for Smash Bros now.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If there's a SSE2, there should be a scene where Little Mac boxes DK again. This time, however, K. Rool falls from the sky and crushes both of them beneath his mighty girth.

Then, the crowd falls silent...

"Yeah! **** yeah!"

D

Deleted member

K. Rool might possibly get a Klap-Blaster ala DKC cartoon.

Reaction?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That would be hilarious. It sounds oddly King Dedede-esque though. Wait a minute...

Now K. Rool is a Bowser AND Dedede clone. It all makes sense now!

Edit: and on the topic of strategy guides, I remember the NP Melee guide being fairly great with a couple exceptions:

1. They listed Ditto as a Pokemon even though it was taken out in a beta build.
2. They listed Mewtwo as 4/5, where Jiggs was 2/5. Mewtwo was listed as on the same level as Sheik and Fox.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I thought that was the case with Ditto, since as long as I had played the game I never came across one mimicing one of my characters ever, even after getting the Diskun trophy (mother of all trophies in the game).

Haha, and I remember that about Mewtwo's rating in the guide, and that Disable + Ganondorf Warlock Punching was among the best team strategies in the game. That kinda made me think he was actually good and kept me in denial about him sucking for awhile. lol The guide was also probably a source of what got people (who didn't know any better) to think that Jiggs was near useless.

As for K. Rool with the Klap-Blaster, I'd like that over the blunderbuss in a way just because of how funny it would be.
Err... What episode was that in again?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think if they legitimately decide to go with the Klaptrap Kannon, I think I'd be a little bothered, just because of how popular the blunderbuss idea is. And honestly, it's one of the most iconic things ABOUT him. So yeah I think I'd be all :(

Despite how much I love Kampy K. Rool in the cartoon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Couldn't he just shoot clap traps out of a blunderbuss?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I thought that was the case with Ditto, since as long as I had played the game I never came across one mimicing one of my characters ever, even after getting the Diskun trophy (mother of all trophies in the game).

Haha, and I remember that about Mewtwo's rating in the guide, and that Disable + Ganondorf Warlock Punching was among the best team strategies in the game. That kinda made me think he was actually good and kept me in denial about him sucking for awhile. lol The guide was also probably a source of what got people (who didn't know any better) to think that Jiggs was near useless.

As for K. Rool with the Klap-Blaster, I'd like that over the blunderbuss in a way just because of how funny it would be.

Err... What episode was that in again?
Not sure about specific episodes, but it was the main weapon of the Kremling Krew. Not sure if K. Rool himself used it though, considering I remember he would typically send out Kremlings, Klump, and Krusha to do his dirty work. There MAY have been a time he used one himself, I don't remember. I'd have to watch the entire cartoon, and I don't know where to find all episodes.

EDIT: But gaiz, evrywun noes the Blunderbuss beelungs two hiz brutha Kaptain K. Rool! :troll:
Though seriously, if the "brother" thing Japan has remains adamant there, there could be a chance K. Rool doesn't use the Blunderbuss since "King K. Rool" never used it.
In which case, we'd only have stuff from DKC1, DKL1, DK64, and the DKC cartoon for him. And I suppose the Paon DK games, but I doubt we'd see much of that for any DK character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH I enjoyed it for a little bit but I was completely unable to get through the entire thing. While there are bits I enjoyed, there is a lot I hated as well. Especially candy

D

Deleted member

Candy Kong is meh everywhere.
But at least she isn't hypersexualized like in the games....

bobadz

Smash Ace
I remember hearing Kaptain K Rool' being K Rool's brother was a localization decision mad NoJ.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know if the 'Kaptain' theory is even universal, since Melee references Dixie teaming up with Diddy to rescue DK from King K. Rool, while Brawl references King K. Rool being a former student of Wrinkly's.

At worst, K. Rool's trophy would say "His brother who appeared in DKC2 let him borrow his blunderbuss when he learned he would appear in SSB4." When the blunderbuss is so common in movesets for the character, I think it would be tough to ignore.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if the 'Kaptain' theory is even universal, since Melee references Dixie teaming up with Diddy to rescue DK from King K. Rool, while Brawl references King K. Rool being a former student of Wrinkly's.

At worst, K. Rool's trophy would say "His brother who appeared in DKC2 let him borrow his blunderbuss when he learned he would appear in SSB4." When the blunderbuss is so common in movesets for the character, I think it would be tough to ignore.
That's implying Sakurai actually reads people's movesets.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That was phrased poorly, let me try again.

"When K. Rool's blunderbuss is such an obvious source of moveset potential for the character, kind of like Diddy's popguns and rocketbarrel were for him pre-Brawl, I think it would be tough to ignore."

D

Deleted member

All I can figure is, Blunderbuss or not, he's gonna shoot Klap Traps somehow. :troll:
If he doesn't have the Blunderbuss, it will be from a Klap-Blaster from the cartoon.
If he has the Blunderbuss, it will be one of many things he can shoot out of it.. :awesome:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... Let's be honest, Sakurai seems more likely to be the kind of guy that intentionally avoids reading movesets and what people say. He seems determined to have things be His Way, and I bet people saying how they would've done things differently annoys him.

Also, the Japanese crowd might be throwing out different movesets than we are, and those are the ones that he'd be reading.

Are people mostly thinking about the blunderbuss shooting out strong but easily avoided bouncing cannonballs? Kind of like a bigger, badder version of Mario's fireballs?

D

Deleted member

I was thinking the Blunderbuss would be the ultimate random weapon.
-Straight path cannonballs
-Bouncing cannonballs
-Circling cannonballs
-Straight path spiked cannonballs
-Circling spiked cannonballs
-White smoke
-Blue smoke
-Purple smoke
-Barrels
-Klap Trap (cartoon reference)
-Lightning (Donkey Kong Land 3 reference)
-Boxing Gloves (DK64 reference)
-Krowns (Donkey Kong Country 1 reference; when he tosses one in the game, it doesn't come back but one somehow spawns on his head, so I figure it would make for great ammunition)

Anything I missed?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. All I expect Sakurai and Co. to do is look at general character popularity. (They have to. Lets be serious, it's good marketing.)

Otherwise, no. The move sets are gonna be based on Sakurai's feelings and best judgement. Is our K. Rool move set likely? Yes. Is it guaranteed? Hell no!

Honestly, just put K. Rool in the game. I can work with the move set, I just want the King, baby! (A little moveset fan service is good too though. See Diddy)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think the cartoon will be used for anything outside of possible voices or something.

D

Deleted member

I don't think the cartoon will be used for anything outside of possible voices or something.
It already has though.
Giant Punch? Comes from the pilot episode.
DK's white color in Brawl? Reference to Eddie the Mean Old Yeti from the show (who was essentially a palette swap of DK).

The fact that Japan seems to view the show as canon according to BKupa also raises a few eyebrows.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If that's true:

I want my Jamaican Funky, and I want him quickly.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It already has though.
Giant Punch? Comes from the pilot episode.
DK's white color in Brawl? Reference to Eddie the Mean Old Yeti from the show (who was essentially a palette swap of DK).

The fact that Japan seems to view the show as canon according to BKupa also raises a few eyebrows.
If the cartoon's considered cannon, then K.Rool should clearly have a move where he rips off his tail.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be fair, he didn't have a tail in the Paon games if I remember right.

So technically...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Doesn't he have a real tiny one though? Well anyway, don't think the cartoon should ever be regarded canon. If cartoons and anime becomes canon, I want Mario to Do The Mario as his victory pose.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool's lack of tail and cape were due to shoddy cartoon animation that Paon just happened to carry over into the main series.

When people claim K. Rool hasn't been seen since DK64, they're partially right, since that's where K. Rool's tail was last sighted in a game.

Top Bottom