• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Just a little image that I've found to keep up the hope:

King K Rool confirmed ;-)
GAAAH, at first I only read the "King K Rool confirmed" part and thought it was for real! I almost had a heart attack! Then I opened the spoiler...

Hopefully, soon it will be true, soon...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think a DK newcomer is definitely overdue and deserving. However, would K. Rool fans here be upset if Dixie Kong got in over him? Personally, I would be fine with either one. They are both equally deserving in my opinion.

I think a DK newcomer is definitely overdue and deserving. However, would K. Rool fans here be upset if Dixie Kong got in over him? Personally, I would be fine with either one. They are both equally deserving in my opinion.
They are both equally deserving in my eyes, I would just vastly prefer K.Rool since he's a DK character that's not a Kong. If we get Dixie I'll be disappointed that it wasn't K.Rool, but I'll just be happy that DK got some love.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool > Dixie > Nothing

DK being starved for content doesn't mean I'll be "fine" with just anything bearing a DK icon, just like I wouldn't be thrilled to see Anthony Higgs as a "Metroid Rep" or Pichu as a "cut Melee Pokemon rep." K. Rool should be the priority for the series at the moment IMO, if for nothing else than him being the one remaining element of the series that still needs reintroduction.

Also, can we cut the BS rhetoric about "DK Rep?" All it's doing is creating an uphill battle for whatever character doesn't get in this time (if that happens) when this is clearly a Meta Knight/Dedede scenario.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
IDK why, but I just imagined a Trailer for him exactly like Shulk's, except Bowser is King K. Rool, and Shulk being DK, except this time King. K Rool no-scopes DK with a blunderbuss when he jumps out the bushes and laughs. Followed by Diddy and Dixie twin-attacking as Marth and Link, with the King doing epic dodges before knocking one out with his crown and the other with kannonball.
You lost me at, "K. Rool doing epic dodges." :joyful:

?????????????

Smash Master
Although I strongly prefer King K. Rool, I do believe that Dixie Kong is equally deserving.

I could list reasons why I believe both characters are highly deserving, and why I prefer K. Rool, but in the end, that's my conclusion.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Personally, I'd be fine with either one. While I'd prefer K. Rool, given that he has more to work with and seems like he'd be the more unique character overall, I've been surprised in that regard before with Rosalina and Pac-Man, so maybe they could give Dixie an interesting moveset.

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
At this point, Donkey Kong has more deserving representatives than any other major Nintendo franchise. K. Rool, Dixie, and, yes, eventually Cranky would all be right at home in Smash Bros., which is the only reason the continued neglect there over third-string Mario characters is starting to bug me as a DK fan.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd argue that both K. Rool and Dixie are indeed equally deserving, though I think K. Rool's got the benefit of being more distinct in his potential abilities, whilst Dixie's got the benefit of possibly being a more "user-friendly" character.

It's pretty balanced, as far as I can see. They both have a lot to recommend them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Liking multiple DK characters is one thing, but rambling about "DK Rep" just devalues them as individuals. We play as characters, not as "reps."

Honestly, imagine seeing this in somebody's signature:

--"Mario Rep" for SSB4!
--"Zelda Rep" for SSB4!
--"New Series Rep" for SSB4!
--"Third Party Rep" for SSB4!

Why is that sort of laughable treatment only okay with the DK series? (because fans are conditioned to think of quantity over quality IMO, but that's a different can of worms)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Liking multiple DK characters is one thing, but rambling about "DK Rep" just devalues them as individuals. We play as characters, not as "reps."

--"Mario Rep" for SSB4!
--"Zelda Rep" for SSB4!

Why is that sort of laughable treatment only okay with the DK series? (because fans are conditioned to think of quantity over quality IMO, but that's a different can of worms)
Agreed. I'd rather take quality and quantity. Let's be honest here, Sakurai's shown that he can certainly do that if he's willing to do just that. Hopefully he's still willing to give the DK series some time to shine. ^_^

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Agreed. I'd rather take quality and quantity. Let's be honest here, Sakurai's shown that he can certainly do that if he's willing to do just that. Hopefully he's still willing to give the DK series some time to shine. ^_^
I'd hope so. But I can't shake the feeling that the lack of DK content so far is not because anything is being hidden, but because it's all we're going to get.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm also not in favor of adding characters to DK's series for the sake of adding characters. There are a couple that would be nice to have, but I think K. Rool is really the only one I want right now. I don't really care for Dixie as a character and don't really want her to be included especially at the expense of K. Rool, but other people want her so whatever.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I'm also not in favor of adding characters to DK's series for the sake of adding characters. There are a couple that would be nice to have, but I think K. Rool is really the only one I want right now. I don't really care for Dixie as a character and don't really want her to be included especially at the expense of K. Rool, but other people want her so whatever.
Amen to that.

?????????????

Smash Master

--"Mario Rep" for SSB4!
--"Zelda Rep" for SSB4!

If it were completely up to me, I'd have both Dixie and K. Rool. Why do Mario, Zelda, and Kirby have such fleshed out "series rosters" that cover all their main characters (with excess in Mario's case), and we're missing that for Donkey Kong?

I'm not trying to go about this in a sense of "DK repping," but rather that I believe Dixie and K. Rool are highly qualified characters as far as "missing SSB characters" go, from the standpoint of including Nintendo's greatest icons.

That's my stance for this particular scenario. I'd like to see Dixie and K. Rool, and I can't logically plunk out one over the other, although I personally prefer K. Rool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If it were completely up to me, I'd have both Dixie and K. Rool. Why do Mario, Zelda, and Kirby have such fleshed out "series rosters" that cover all their main characters (with excess in Mario's case), and we're missing that for Donkey Kong?

I'm not trying to go about this in a sense of "DK repping," but rather that I believe Dixie and K. Rool are highly qualified characters as far as "missing SSB characters" go, from the standpoint of including Nintendo's greatest icons.

That's my stance for this particular scenario. I'd like to see Dixie and K. Rool, and I can't logically plunk out one over the other, although I personally prefer K. Rool.
Understood, certainly wasn't pointing fingers at you or anything. The term "rep" as it's commonly used just comes off as treating the characters as secondary to the icon they're under. This gives off the impression that the characters themselves aren't really that great or important, and can be ignored so long as the series gets "repping" with stages or items or whatever.

Also, that photo was made by Cameron over at DK Vine, and I'd have posted it regardless of the current discussion at hand. ;)

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

--"Mario Rep" for SSB4!
--"Zelda Rep" for SSB4!

THANK YOU!!! I've stated this for nearly a decade, and finally people are agreeing with me.

Robin isn't a great addition to the roster because he's a "Fire Emblem rep". He's a great addition because he looks freaking unique, cool, and has a different and very functional skillset, moveset, and playstyle that makes you WANT TO PLAY THE GAME MORE!!!

We should want characters to play as them or against them. I personally want characters that I can play as or against 10 years down the road and still get hyped over it. Most of the previous games' rosters have done this for me, and I can't see K. Rool not doing this if he's a newcomer. That's why I freaking want him LIKE CRAZY KRAZY!!! :psycho:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^^^ Those colors are nearly jacked from Project M, lol. Project M Charizard has a green color like that (Tyranitar), a purple color like that (either the Aerodactyl or the Golbat color), although it doesn't have a white color like that (as far as I remember).
K. Rool AND Dixie > K. Rool > Dixie > Nothing
Fixed! :grin:
Also, can we cut the BS rhetoric about "DK Rep?" All it's doing is creating an uphill battle for whatever character doesn't get in this time (if that happens) when this is clearly a Meta Knight/Dedede scenario.
"muh reps", "muh sales", "muh recencuy" aren't things, or at least shouldn't be.

We shouldn't act like they are. Modern characters add a modern feel to the roster, retro characters add a retro feel to the roster, and classic characters add a classic feel to the roster. K. Rool mostly adds the latter with some of the 2nd.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm just surprised that at this point, we don't know in what form K. Rool would appear in Smash 4 at this point. You think at the very least, if he had a non-Trophy role, he would be one of the characters shown or at least alluded to considering the return of the Kremlings and his general notability within the DK series. I mean, what's up with that? Where is K. Rool?

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm just surprised that at this point, we don't know in what form K. Rool would appear in Smash 4 at this point. You think at the very least, if he had a non-Trophy role, he would be one of the characters shown or at least alluded to considering the return of the Kremlings and his general notability within the DK series. I mean, what's up with that? Where is K. Rool?
It's a good question indeed, I wonder if we will get any explanation as to why he wasn't included if he isn't in

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
No idea, but I'm praying he doesn't end up as a boss. That's the worst case scenario imo.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

--"Mario Rep" for SSB4!
--"Zelda Rep" for SSB4!

We refer to them as reps because the roster is determined partially by proportionate representation. When a character like Diddy gets in, it's because they decided that DK could do with another rep, and thus they added Diddy.

Rep slots come before character potential. They draw up a rough idea of how many slots each franchise will get and then select characters accordingly. Otherwise there'd be an enormous imbalance, as you could make an entire roster with just Pokemon for example.

The reason why people think K. Rool is likely is because DK has no new rep. If DK already had Dixie and Funky revealed no one would expect K. Rool, because despite his clear appeal as a character and moveset potential, the allocated DK slots would have already been filled.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We refer to them as reps because the roster is determined partially by proportionate representation. When a character like Diddy gets in, it's because they decided that DK could do with another rep, and thus they added Diddy.

Rep slots come before character potential. They draw up a rough idea of how many slots each franchise will get and then select characters accordingly. Otherwise there'd be an enormous imbalance, as you could make an entire roster with just Pokemon for example.

The reason why people think K. Rool is likely is because DK has no new rep. If DK already had Dixie and Funky revealed no one would expect K. Rool, because despite his clear appeal as a character and moveset potential, the allocated DK slots would have already been filled.
That's just fundamentally false. Sakurai has gone over his decision-making process for adding newcomers many times. He considers characters on an individual basis regardless of series based on factors like uniqueness or popularity, occasionally penciling in a spot for revolving door one-off from Pokemon or Fire Emblem. He does not sit down and go:

"Time to make a newcomer list! I think we need a Mario Rep, a Mario Rep, a New Series Rep, a New Series Rep, a New Series Rep, a Kid Icarus Rep, a Pokemon Rep, a DK Rep, a Clone Rep, a Third Party Rep, and a Third Party Rep. What a great list of unique and colorful characters!"

Because he "strives for a balance that will satisfy fans of all series [except DK]," as a general rule, the more characters a series has, the less likely they are to get more characters, with more flexibility granted to the larger series, which are naturally more popular. But the idea of "Reps" has been shot down time and time again by multiple series getting multiple characters in each Smash game to date, and yet people insist on digging up its corpse and flailing it around as if it remotely means anything. It doesn't.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This might be my last post here, but I just want to say that my biggest regret is not participating in this thread as often as most of you people have. Dixie and K. Rool are both characters that I really, really, want to see playable in this series, and if it turns out that neither of them are in the game, then I don't think I could ever forgive Sakurai for that.

It's going to be one hell of a ride, and I'm going to hope for the best.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Y'know, I've been studying this evidence again for whatever reason, and something just hit me.

Neo Zero says that it's not final, but he was pretty suspicious about what that meant. Is it possible that it's all we're getting now, but there will be Wii U exclusive characters, that'll end up as free 3DS DLC, similar to what Johnknight is saying? Could that explain K. Rool's current absence?

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I think this will be my last post on here too until after friday. I'll just say this, as much as I want K. Rool to be revealed that day, chances are if we are going to get any of the big 3 revealed it'll either be Ridley or Mewtwo(which I would also be fine with). Unfortantley I'm likely counting on seeing the characters already leaked like DHD, Bowser Jr.(he's ok though I'll admit), Dr. Mario and the god awful Dark Pit to be revealed alongside veterans such as Ganondorf and Wario, I don't want it but being the way Sakurai is, it's likely what we're getting, if not them then probably a bunch of other characters no one cares about. Terrible marketing if you ask me Mr. Suckarai. but hey as his defendants have said, it's his game so whatever. The reason I am being very pessimistic about this is so I can hope to be wrong when the time comes in 2 days and if I'm not then well, at least I won't feel "AS" disappointed as much.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Y'know, I've been studying this evidence again for whatever reason, and something just hit me.

Neo Zero says that it's not final, but he was pretty suspicious about what that meant. Is it possible that it's all we're getting now, but there will be Wii U exclusive characters, that'll end up as free 3DS DLC, similar to what Johnknight is saying? Could that explain K. Rool's current absence?

How would Neo Zero have any knoweldge on future plans for a game that doesn't even have a release date? Whatever he meant he's referring to info he got that pretains to the 3ds verison.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I would.

K Rool has so much more move set potential.

Dixie is just another monkey.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would.

K Rool has so much more move set potential.

Dixie is just another monkey.
I hate this argument. K. Rool and Dixie both have just as much potential as one another. Dixie has lots of very acrobatic moves, especially her iconic ponytail whirl. K. Rool has all of his boss battles to go through with plenty of potential for using electrical charges, blunderbuss as a central mechanic, Krown throw. BOTH have massive potential.

K. Rool just deserves it more... :p

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I hate this argument. K. Rool and Dixie both have just as much potential as one another. Dixie has lots of very acrobatic moves, especially her iconic ponytail whirl. K. Rool has all of his boss battles to go through with plenty of potential for using electrical charges, blunderbuss as a central mechanic, Krown throw. BOTH have massive potential.

K. Rool just deserves it more... :p
Shh, anyone who has a preference is an evil, delusional "hater" who deserves to be badmouthed in other threads. :p

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Anyways, everyone knows Sakarui is biased as ****.
It would not surprise me if we don't get a new Metroid or DK rep this game because Sakarui would rather there be 13 kid icarus enemies and items and a nice sexy stripper pole dance for palatuana.

I'm not ****ing joking about this http://i.imgur.com/Qf16whK.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom