• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
So you'll defend Donkey kong but franchises with less representation like f-zero or star fox is fine with you.
Perfectly fine.
So you would like donkey kong to have 4 chracters just becuase fire emblem does.
MORE than 4 actually.
You expect dk to have 4-5 stages becuase mario does.
Of course.
I'm not defending sakurai i'm justn saying getting pissy and threat to burn effigy of Sakurai is taking things a bit too far
Whatever you're "just saying" is always different from what you actually were saying.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem isn't a new franchise. And Returns and Tropical Freeze just came out. There's no excuse. NONE.
Here's one, as someone who loves the Donkey Kong series in general:

The franchise tends to be focused squarely on one character, Donkey Kong, with all other characters being very peripheral. This includes characters like Diddy (in for Brawl and Smash 4) who are essentially backup dancers to what is the Donkey Kong show. People would argue for Dixie, but she is essentially Diddy's female alt, and despite being playable, was never really fleshed out as her own character.

From there comes the question of K Rool, who personally I'd love in the game. He doesn't scream playable character in Smash though. I'm sure it could be done, but he, to many it seems, is nothing more than Generic Villain 'a la' Donkey Kong. Here is the concern, the series isn't that deep. It's got great games, but there's noone who really jumps out.

Compare this to other series, such as Mario, where you could make strong arguments for the individuality of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Geno, Rosalina, Toad and so forth before drawing a long bow, you then have the separate series of both Yoshi and Wario, very popular in their own right, with only one character each. The Zelda series has a strong storyline, and characters like Link, Zelda, Shiek (seperate for gameplay reasons it seems), Ganondorf, Toon Link, Zant (denied), Ghirahim (assist trophy) and so forth are actually struggling to boost that figure. Then there's Metroid with... Samus, and Zamus now (again, for gameplay reasons), but ultimately it's one character represented should Ridley not make it.

The Mario series, as the series Nintendo is known for, and Pokemon, a series that conquers all in it's path, will be given massive representation. Beyond those the real comparisons are Zelda, Kirby and Metroid. Even the all mighty Mario series is so fractured in terms of spin offs (they've only really got Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina and Bowser [5], Yoshi and Wario [assuming he's in] are very much their own series these days). Zelda has mustered Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf [if he's in] and Toon Link, with all 5 being pretty much certain includes both within their own right and Smash terms. Kirby have, well Kirby, along side King Dedede (many were disappointed he failed to make Melee) and Meta Knight, which considering it's Sakurai's baby and it's place within Nintendo seems fair, while Metroid is stuck on Samus + her gimmick turn character. Donkey Kong is an important series for Nintendo, but who really is that important beyond Donkey and Diddy Kong? I like K Rool, I'd love him to be in, but I just can't see it. Even Ganondorf seems very on edge in the Smash series, and he has as far bigger footprint than K Rool in the gaming World.

Could you imagine the disappointment if K Rool ended up a Bowser Clone...

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So you'll defend Donkey kong but franchises with less representation like f-zero or star fox is fine with you.So you would like donkey kong to have 4 chracters just becuase fire emblem does.You expect dk to have 4-5 stages becuase mario does.I'm not defending sakurai i'm justn saying getting pissy and threat to burn effigy of Sakurai is taking things a bit too far
Nowhere in his post did he say F-Zero doesn't deserve more representation. I've been supporting Samurai Goroh since the Melee era, but he's been relegated to Assist Trophy status for the second game in a row. I'm not sure why you're trying to start an argument. So far, the 3DS version of the game doesn't have a single new DK stage. Doesn't that seem a bit... unfair, given the fact that there are so many games they could derive content from? If Gerudo Valley from Ocarina of Time 3D qualifies as a handheld stage, why not include something from the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 2? You claim you're not defending Sakurai, but that's exactly what it sounds like. DK is being treated like a red-headed stepchild and you know it.

The franchise tends to be focused squarely on one character, Donkey Kong, with all other characters being very peripheral.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
He doesn't scream playable character in Smash though. I'm sure it could be done, but he, to many it seems, is nothing more than Generic Villain 'a la' Donkey Kong.
If this were true, why is he one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash? You keep on saying that you'd "love" to see K. Rool in Smash, but from all this nonsensical crap you're giving him, I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Nowhere in his post did he say F-Zero doesn't deserve more representation. I've been supporting Samurai Goroh since the Melee era, but he's been relegated to Assist Trophy status for the second game in a row. I'm not sure why you're trying to start an argument. So far, the 3DS version of the game doesn't have a single new DK stage. Doesn't that seem a bit... unfair, given the fact that there are so many games they could derive content from? If Gerudo Valley from Ocarina of Time 3D qualifies as a handheld stage, why not include something from the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 2? You claim you're not defending Sakurai, but that's exactly what it sounds like. DK is being treated like a red-headed stepchild and you know it.

Here's my question why K roil.I know we want villians but why not dixie,cranky(who if you think about it about has a better chance than k roil),tiny,funky,Lanky

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Here's my question why K roil.I know we want villians but why not dixie,cranky(who if you think about it about has a better chance than k roil),tiny,funky,Lanky
Because we don't want more ****ing monkeys. And because the bad guy is as important in a plot as the good guy, simple as that.

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
The game as a whole could use much more villains, specifically main villains. K. Rool is the best choice among any other kong alongside with his highly potential moveset and unique play style.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
If this were true, why is he one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash? You keep on saying that you'd "love" to see K. Rool in Smash, but from all this nonsensical crap you're giving him, I find that hard to believe.
K Rool is an interesting idea, but in what can only be described as the fallout from the whole rare situation Donkey Kong as a series has felt poorly treated until very recently. Even then, it feels much like the Sonic series, with it being more a case of trying to "be as they were", rather than fleshing out the characters and series to something new and different. Whilst I've found K Rool an interesting character, particularly in the early days, since then (and I'm talking 64 onwards) he could be quite happily substituted with pretty much anything, and that includes a talking pineapple. They've just not done anything with him.

There are many reasons for a wanted newcomers. Starfox seemingly got Falco and Wolf seemingly made it in on fan service through Smash Bros alone, because Nintendo sure as hell haven't given that series any respect (as much as I liked Star Fox Adventures, it wasn't a Starfox game). There's are numerous requests for new FZero characters, despite that series being seemingly dead to Nintendo (and I don't know why, a great series).

Here is the exact problem though. Different playable characters, little difference in the overall concept. Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy throughout the series weren't that different. That's the exact issue. The only reason Starfox got more than one character was seemingly fan service out of how popular Fox has been in the Smash, and less so for the series itself. FZero is pretty much a rotting corpse of a series (and one of my all time favourite series, seriously the hell Nintendo!), yet a newcomer from it is one of the more requested newcomers as well.

The key to Smash is interesting play styles, but even Dixie could be adequately done as an alt for Diddy.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
@Awesomedude4444 Why are you in the K. Rool support thread if you don't support K. Rool? Do you just want to argue with us? Got nothing better to do?
the thing is i'm not against k roll being in the game.Hell if he's in i'll be the first one to be here giving you your props.I'm have a problem with you saying that other Donkey Kong is being overlooked for sakurai's babys.Hell this started with you making that long and drawn out post.All i'm trying to say is that Donkey kong is not overlooked it's just not the mean focus but having an opinion seems to meam jack ****

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
the thing is i'm not against k roll being in the game.Hell if he's in i'll be the first one to be here giving you your props.I'm have a problem with you saying that other Donkey Kong is being overlooked for sakurai's babys.Hell this started with you making that long and drawn out post.All i'm trying to say is that Donkey kong is not overlooked it's just not the mean focus but having an opinion seems to meam jack ****
You're bringing this opinion into the King K. Rool Thread, What did you expect?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The key to Smash is interesting play styles, but even Dixie could be adequately done as an alt for Diddy.
If the key to Smash is interesting play styles, why the hell are you condemning K. Rool just because he is no longer "relevant" in the main series? You people need to make up your minds. The narrative keeps changing every time a different character is being discussed. Relevancy is important, moveset potential is important, popularity important, size is important, species is important... I mean goodness ****. Stop being so inconsistent and hypocritical.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm have a problem with you saying that other Donkey Kong is being overlooked for sakurai's babys.
You have a problem with me simply stating what is undoubtedly true?
All i'm trying to say is that Donkey kong is not overlooked it's just not the mean focus but having an opinion seems to meam jack ****
Why shouldn't an overabundance fanservice for one of Nintendo's most popular franchises be part of the main focus for a Smash Bros. game?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
You're bringing this opinion into the King K. Rool Thread, What did you expect?
He probably expected reasonable balanced discussion on the question.

I mean, it's the K Rool thread, not the K Rool giant circle jerk thread. There will be some realistic discussion on his chances, surely.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
I really don't see how. They pretty much different in every way other than being monkeys

If the key to Smash is interesting play styles, why the hell are you condemning K. Rool just because he is no longer "relevant" in the main series? You people need to make up your minds. The narrative keeps changing every time a different character is being discussed. Relevancy is important, moveset potential is important, popularity important, size is important, species is important... I mean goodness ****. Stop being so inconsistent and hypocritical.
You hit the nail on the god damn head.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

I mean, it's the K Rool thread, not the K Rool giant circle jerk thread. There will be some realistic discussion on his chances, surely.
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Let me go to the Dixie thread and...
Wait, does she even have a thread?
:troll:

Last edited:

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice

I'm sorry If I'm sounding a bit harsh, But still.... It's like going to a Coke Factory and asking for a Pepsi

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I'm sorry If I'm sounding a bit harsh, But still.... It's like going to a Coke Factory and asking for a Pepsi
So what you're saying is that this isn't the place to actually discuss K Rool, only to support him?

Where on Earth do we discuss K Rool then?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
So what you're saying is that this isn't the place to actually discuss K Rool, only to support him?

Where on Earth do we discuss K Rool then?
Go to the character discussion thread if you want to argue about a character. To support a character, go to a support thread. Simple as that.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
This is a post to talk about K. Rool. Whether you support him or not, you're free to discuss whatever you think about him as long as you do so politely and without attacking anyone directly. Even better if you can explain why you think he should or shouldn't be in.

It's just a videogame, guys, let's not fight over it, okay?

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
This is a post to talk about K. Rool. Whether you support him or not, you're free to discuss whatever you think about him as long as you do so politely and without attacking anyone directly. Even better if you can explain why you think he should or shouldn't be in.

It's just a videogame, guys, let's not fight over it, okay?
This is pretty much what I mean. Even if my wording doesn't seem like it, I want the discussions in this thread to be civil. When I bring up counterarguments, It's purely to defend Rool, I don't mean any offence with them.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Go to the character discussion thread if you want to argue about a character. To support a character, go to a support thread. Simple as that.
This is the character discussion thread for K Rool though. This is the character discussion forum, and the subtopics aren't just for support.

I support K Rool, but I think it's important to make sure that discussion isn't snuffed out in the interest of it just being everyone patting eachother on the back until he's disconfirmed.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I speak for myself at least, that these are hard times. It's near the release, we still have nothing new at all for DK franchise, we're getting desperate, the leak has come in a wrong time and has kind of depressed some of us, and detractors don't help either.

I know it's just a game, but is still a passion of some of us and this is getting way too far.
Let's just remain calm, relax, ignore detractors or talk well with them (depending on their attitude) and wait.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
the thing is donkey kong has always been in that middle ground in smash.Where he could get a newcomer and not get a newcomer.I hope whoever it is to represent DK the fans well understand and be fine with him/her/ or it

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So do we riot when K. Rool is deconfirmed? Burn an effigy or something?
I probably will because by the time Smash 5 comes, I'll be too bussy with wife, children and job (I hope) to play too much, and let alone he isn't playable in Smash 5 either, lol.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Didn't I just post a heartfelt message this morning about how civil people were in this thread and it's regressed into harsh arguing :(

Come on guys if detractors come in with different opinions, even if you don't agree respect those opinions. Have a nice discussion with no name calling were better than that.

Thing is in reply to the K.Rool debate honestly him and Dixie are no more relevant than one another. K.Rool has 6 games under his belt to Dixie's 3. Dixie just has the advantage of Tropical Freeze I'd say it's a close tie

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna complain about the lack of DK content so far. You know why? Because the game isn't out yet. The way I see it, as long as the game isn't out, Sakurai still has a chance to redeem himself. Now if the game IS out and DK turns out to have gotten the shaft AGAIN, THEN I'll riot :p

Top Bottom