• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just as I feared, and expected. The only hope is that you have unlock more DK stages, which in turn will unlock more DK music then the two shown but I'm not counting on it.

To be fair, I had suspected that DK was only going to get one stage on the 3DS far before the leak. Them advertising Past Melee stages as new for DK and Metroid immediately gave me red flags about the stage selection in this game.

There were three Rocket Barrel themes in DKCR: Mine Menace, Gear Getaway, and Hot Rocket.

If Gear Getaway is the name of the Rocket Barrel theme from the direct, then they are technically wrong, as Mine Menace should be the name since it's the full extended version of the Rocket Barrel theme (the one heard in the direct and the tournament), and not the shortened versions (which are Gear Getaway and Hot Rocket).

Unless, of course, there is actually a Gear Getaway stage which would justify the song name change.
They... didn't advertise Past Stages for DK and Metroid as new stages. Sakurai made it very clear in the original Smash Direct that Jungle Japes was a returning stage.

A factory stage would also be pretty fitting for King K. Rool . . . :)
Secondary theme: Kremling Kakophany! :D

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm still staying optimistic despite the leak...but how would you guys feel if the DK series got the shaft again?
Displeased (understatement of the damn millennium) but ultimately unsurprised. Can't wait for what excuses are used to justify it.

FFS, this is ridiculous. I know he's the mascot of Nintendo, but Mario has four all-new 3DS stages. Shouldn't the other character who helped put Nintendo on the map deserve better than one thirteen year old stage that was already in Brawl?

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
They... didn't advertise Past Stages for DK and Metroid as new stages. Sakurai made it very clear in the original Smash Direct that Jungle Japes was a returning stage.
It was being showcased around while every other franchise was being shown it's new stage.

There is no reason to do that for returning stages. Unless...you have nothing else to show, which I find to be a real (unfortunate) possibility.

Displeased (understatement of the damn millennium) but ultimately unsurprised. Can't wait for what excuses are used to justify it.

There are no problems here at all! :yeahboi:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It was being showcased around while every other franchise was being shown it's new stage.

There is no reason to do that for returning stages. Unless...you have nothing else to show, which I find to be a real (unfortunate) possibility.

There's absolutely no reason at all why Sakurai's mediocre ****fest of a game should have this much representation over DK.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Uprising is beloved by a lot of fans. I think it's nice to see it get a lot of content in Smash Bros. But that picture above really does demonstrate the gap we DK fans have continued to see, especially compared to smaller and less "notable" series like Kid Icarus. Whether it's Smash Run Enemies, assist trophies, stages, and playable characters...the DK series appears to be losing out. And that's sad for all of us who have supported Nintendo and DK games for a long time. There are a lot of things they could pull from the series, but they don't.

This has deluded some Smash fans into thinking that the DK series simply doesn't have any content that would "work" in Smash. Very frustrating.

Balmora

Smash Rookie
I know it's getting a little close to release, but count me in. I've always been a huge fan of Rareware's games, including Donkey Kong Country and DK64. King K. Rool is definitely my most wanted character (at least without looking at third party options). While it is uncertain as to whether or not he'll appear in the game, it is great to see all of the support that the king is getting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
From the leak and now likely the dlc part is a fraud and dlc likely being separate from non dlc.

I really do hope the crocodile king will get in over dixie.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I know it's getting a little close to release, but count me in. I've always been a huge fan of Rareware's games, including Donkey Kong Country and DK64. King K. Rool is definitely my most wanted character (at least without looking at third party options). While it is uncertain as to whether or not he'll appear in the game, it is great to see all of the support that the king is getting.
It's never too late to join the Kutthroats! WELKOME ABOARD!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
After seeing these awesome pictures by depicting the Kremlings from DKC2, I thought it would be interesting/fun to discuss how we would implement them into Smash, whether they're assist trophies, smashrun enemies (what would they do??), stage hazards, or even playable characters(!!!).

As I said (somewhat forcefully) in the post above, I feel like a lot of the people who say that the DK series has little content to implement in Smash are wrong. Maybe this can be a fun way to show them how wrong they are.

I'll start with a few. Can you think of how they could fit in the game?

Kaboing

Klampon

Flitter

Kannon (Klump with a cannon)

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Kannon (Klump with a cannon)
Naw man, that ain't Kannon. That's Skurvy. :troll:

I'll make ya swab the deck and then I'll throw ya in the brig.
I swear I'll make ya walk the plank to right the wrong ya did.
The day ya mess with Skurvy arr, you'll wish you were never born.
When the coconut is mine, then you'll feel his pirate scorn!

Lyin', lootin', stealin' is the reason I'm a pirate.
Ransacking, pillaging, don't knock it til' ya try it.
Plundering and pilfering pick up a healthy diet.
Arr, look at me! I'm doing the Booty-Booty!

Balmora

Smash Rookie
It's never too late to join the Kutthroats! WELKOME ABOARD!
Thanks! This may have been asked before, but after seeing that video clip so many times I've always wondered: What exactly is going on in this episode? Also, K. Rool needs to work on his singing... that voice is devastating enough to be his final smash.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Thanks! This may have been asked before, but after seeing that video clip so many times I've always wondered: What exactly is going on in this episode? Also, K. Rool needs to work on his singing... that voice is devastating enough to be his final smash.
DK lost his memory and Skurvy made him think he was a pirate so that he would help him get the Crystal Coconut. Then K. Rool came along and made DK think he was a Rool so that he would help him get the Crystal Coconut.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
DK lost his memory and Skurvy made him think he was a pirate so that he would help him get the Crystal Coconut. Then K. Rool came along and made DK think he was a Rool so that he would help him get the Crystal Coconut.
In other words it's the greatest thing created by human hands.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You know thinking about it.....

Not trying to defend Sakurai about seemingly overlook DK but you never know the Wii U may get far more DK love then 3DS since DK is mostly console based. I mean I know the items have been featured in both games but you never know DK could get more levels on console more music IF K.Rool isn't playable (which of course I hope isn't the case) we could get him as a level boss. The Wii U version should rightly have more DK representation. That could infact be the case.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice

It's missing Chunky Kong with a big question mark over him. :troll:

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
You know, seeing those two pictures of Kid Icarus and Donkey Kong's representation is just really pathetic.

I loved Uprising. But, the amount of love it's received, when compared to other franchises is ridiculous.

It sucks that DK has continuously gotten the shaft. That lack of content is just flabbergasting. There's such a rich history with memorable, unique and exciting stuff to draw inspiration from. The animal buddies would make great assist trophies. There's TONS of awesome baddies to use in Smash Run. We have great main characters like Dixie and K. Rool, who would fit absolutely perfect into Smash as playable characters.

I don't understand how there is such a huge disconnect between this and what Sakurai is doing. It's become redundant and I'm finding it harder to get excited for Smash, when my favourite Nintendo series is being mistreated.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
You know, seeing those two pictures of Kid Icarus and Donkey Kong's representation is just really pathetic.

I loved Uprising. But, the amount of love it's received, when compared to other franchises is ridiculous.

It sucks that DK has continuously gotten the shaft. That lack of content is just flabbergasting. There's such a rich history with memorable, unique and exciting stuff to draw inspiration from. The animal buddies would make great assist trophies. There's TONS of awesome baddies to use in Smash Run. We have great main characters like Dixie and K. Rool, who would fit absolutely perfect into Smash as playable characters.

I don't understand how there is such a huge disconnect between this and what Sakurai is doing. It's become redundant and I'm finding it harder to get excited for Smash, when my favourite Nintendo series is being mistreated.
I'm honestly starting to think that Nintendo is slowly trying to make people forget about the rare era of DK for whatever reason. I mean they took DKC 1-3 off the VC in 2012 and it never came back Kremlings have been removed from the main games and replaced with forgettable tikis and the snowbads(I like Vikings but they're no kremlings). DK64 never even touched the Wii VC and DKC games have yet to grace the Eshop. Seems like Nintendo is trying to cut any ties DK had to Rare. I know they own all aspects of DK but that dosent mean they want people to prefer the Rare made games over anything new with DK. Think about it most DK content comes from those rare titles. How many animal buddies have we seen in returns since Rare stopped making DK? Rambi? Squaks? Where's Enguard? Or Any of the other animal buddies in the returns series? It seems like Nintendo is slowly trying to make DK something else and it's saddening. I heard that Nintendo removed DKC 1-3 of the Eshop cause Rare/Microsoft was demanding royalties for the games, don't know how true that is but that's what I heard. Retro also was going to use the Kremlings but was urged not to by the current director of the series in order to "keep it fresh". Bull if Nintendo was concerned about keeping things fresh Ganon would have died in Ocarina and Bowser wouldn't be around anymore......

D

Deleted member

It's really disappointing that the DK franchise is seemingly getting the shaft again. When Smash 4 was first announced I thought for sure this would be the chance for King K. Rool and maybe even Dixie.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This has deluded some Smash fans into thinking that the DK series simply doesn't have any content that would "work" in Smash. Very frustrating.
Oh don't even get me started! I had a big argument over this with a friend of mine. He claimed the DK series had nothing left that was worthy to be in Smash.

Him: "Well I don't see any Donkey Kong characters other than DK and Diddy actually mattering"

Me: "Woah are you kidding me? You're just trying to get my goat right?"

Him: "Maybe king k rool? Dixie maybe? It's just no plot really hinges on anybody else"

Me: "Why not K. Rool or Dixie? Dixie had her own game where she's the main character. And K. Rool is the main villain of the series. Saying that only DK and Diddy matter is like saying only Mario and Luigi matter. And yet we still have Peach and Bowser in Smash."

Him: "That's not the same at all. Princess Peach is more involved, as is Bowser, and Yoshi. They are the flagship Nintendo title, appearing in countless games and having the game plotted around them. Dixie and K Rool may be important to the DK mythos, but we barely know anything about either character."

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm not going to get mad at those guys. Get mad that Sakurai's new baby, Uprising, is getting more attention than it deserves.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Until DK gets another rep people will assume it's unimportant. Which is a shame. Sakurai certainly seems like he's being bias against not only DK but Metroid and F-Zero aswell. I mean look at F-Zero especially they've been sitting on one rep since 64 that's rough.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

They formed a group and are trying to stop k roil and ridley.We must fight back.
We're going to bring it, and then it's going to be brought!

*this has nothing to do with characters getting into Smash Bros. Or anything else, really. Still, BRING IT!

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993

Of course Sakurai is biased toward his own franchise, but I think the main reason there is so little DK representation is because Sakurai thinks of DK as an extension of the Mario series.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Hey guys, don't lose hope. Remember that Sakurai said that he wanted to put more Assist Trophies in this game, and that rumor about Chunky Kong being one, that hasn't been proven yet, but was very extended and explained as the same thing.
I have a hunch DK is just waiting for the Direct to get his new reps. Who knows, maybe Chunky is announced in a potd next week ^^

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Guys I just want to say something's

This is by far the best thread around I love the people in it. It's civil and calm even when detractors come. I like it here especially after some horrible experiences over in the leaked CSS thread people are so immature it's terrible heaven forbid any opposite opinions should come along. Just wanted to thank everyone for making this thread so enjoyable. Even if the King isn't in I'd hope to continue talking here for a good longtime :)

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Because they know both Ridley and K. Rool are more likely and requested than both Shulk and Isaac. They're just jealous.
To be honest I'd actually say Shulk is more likely than Ridley (though both are very likely) and K Rool and Isaac are in the "not particularly likely" bin at this time.

My feelings on characters is that I honestly couldn't really care who's in, but K Rool is about as close as I'll get to really caring at this point. Sadly though I honestly don't think there's even the slightest chance that he's in.

Top Bottom