• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Btw guys, I listened to the actual Rocket Barrel Music and it doesn't sound anything like the default Gear Getaway music. Why would they call it Gear Getaway if its the Rocket Barrel theme? I think there will be unlockable music in this game, just no more than two per stage.

The "Wii" series is considered its own franchise, which has passed even the Zelda series. Yes, fifth. I was calling DK Nintendo's fourth best-selling franchise until someone corrected me that the Wii series of games is now Nintendo's third best-selling franchise.
Uh, obviously you're wrong. I actually played Returns. I know what I'm talking about.

Also guys, I know how much fun it is to be pessimistic and be sad that DK might not get a new stage because of what we've seen in the picture, but let's not forget about unlockable stages.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Uh, obviously you're wrong. I actually played Returns. I know what I'm talking about.

Also guys, I know how much fun it is to be pessimistic and be sad that DK might not get a new stage because of what we've seen in the picture, but let's not forget about unlockable stages.
I've played Returns, too. I played the game and beat it, although I haven't played it in a while.

Before I made that post, I literally just listened to the music online. Gear Getaway has its own music before you get to the Rocket Barrel portion. That's what I meant by the stage's "default" music. Yes, the Rocket Barrel theme plays during the Rocket Barrel portion, but that's not the "Gear Getaway" music. Why would they single out Gear Getaway as the music if its the Rocket Barrel Theme, even though Gear Getaway is only one of about 8-9 different Rocket Barrel stages in Returns?

EDIT: Apparently it was the video I was listening to giving it the wrong name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmuCMSvKOO8

Here's the Gear Getaway track listed in the actual sound test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyek_m6gQY

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I've played Returns, too. I played the game and beat it, although I haven't played it in a while.

Before I made that post, I literally just listened to the music online. Gear Getaway has its own music before you get to the Rocket Barrel portion. That's what I meant by the stage's "default" music. Yes, the Rocket Barrel theme plays during the Rocket Barrel portion, but that's not the "Gear Getaway" music. Why would they single out Gear Getaway as the music if its the Rocket Barrel Theme, even though Gear Getaway is only one of about 8-9 different Rocket Barrel stages in Returns?

EDIT: Apparently it was the video I was listening to giving it the wrong name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmuCMSvKOO8

Here's the Gear Getaway track listed in the actual sound test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyek_m6gQY
Right is I. Right am I. I'm so excited we're getting a rocket barrel stage. A factory-themed one at that. My faith in Sakurai has been halfway restored.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Right is I. Right am I. I'm so excited we're getting a rocket barrel stage. A factory-themed one at that. My faith in Sakurai has been halfway restored.
Well, it wouldn't be a Rocket Barrel stage, it'd be a factory stage based on a Rocket Barrel stage. They'd probably use the pistons and gears as part of the stage. I so hope its actually a stage, but I have my doubts. Granted, if we get a factory-based stage from DK, I can SEE that stage being an unlockable stage, since DK is more known for jungle levels. As long as we also get Fear Factory, sure, awesome.

The Rocket Barrel theme is definitely an odd choice for Jungle Japes...

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Well, it wouldn't be a Rocket Barrel stage, it'd be a factory stage based on a Rocket Barrel stage. They'd probably use the pistons and gears as part of the stage. I so hope its actually a stage, but I have my doubts. Granted, if we get a factory-based stage from DK, I can SEE that stage being an unlockable stage, since DK is more known for jungle levels. As long as we also get Fear Factory, sure, awesome.

Says who? Rocket barrels could act as platforms and the stage would be constantly strolling to the right. There'd be a bunch of crap in the way like robots and gears trying to make you dead.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Says who? Rocket barrels could act as platforms and the stage would be constantly strolling to the right. There'd be a bunch of crap in the way like robots and gears trying to make you dead.
Well, I can see rocket barrels flying through the level if that's what you meant. I could also see rocket barrels hovering around, although the main stage I'd think would still be based around an actual solid ground of the level. Still, that would be a really cool and unique level overall, I truly hope Sakurai did create a factory-based level. Its very odd he'd specifically single out the level "Gear Getaway" rather than just say Rocket Barrel in general...

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Well, I can see rocket barrels flying through the level if that's what you meant. I could also see rocket barrels hovering around, although the main stage I'd think would still be based around an actual solid ground of the level. Still, that would be a really cool and unique level overall, I truly hope Sakurai did create a factory-based level. Its very odd he'd specifically single out the level "Gear Getaway" rather than just say Rocket Barrel in general...
I thought I already made this clear before: the only reason why he'd single out Gear Getaway is because there's going to be a stage based on Gear Getaway with rocket barrels.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought I already made this clear before: the only reason why he'd single out Gear Getaway is because there's going to be a stage based on Gear Getaway with rocket barrels.
Yeah, I agree. I'm just... trying NOT to get my hopes up too much until we have official confirmation. Oh, and for all we know it'll be called "Kremkroc Industries." :D

I mean, I'm pretty sure the DKCR Factory is the exact same factory from the original game, just after the Kremlings abandoned it.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree. I'm just... trying NOT to get my hopes up too much until we have official confirmation. Oh, and for all we know it'll be called "Kremkroc Industries." :D

I mean, I'm pretty sure the DKCR Factory is the exact same factory from the original game, just after the Kremlings abandoned it.
Now that I think about it, we totally should get a factory-themed DKC stage. I'm pretty sure factory-themed levels are the second most prominent kinds of levels in the DK series, behind jungle levels of course. Kremcroc Industries in DKC1, factory levels in DKC3, Frantic Factory in DK64, factory levels in DKCR, and Frozen Frenzy in DKCTF. That's a lot of factories. No reason why there shouldn't be a factory stage.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

It absolutely is

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM

Edit: plus Fear Factory is easily my favorite song from DKC 1

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I thought of something fun for us to do.
Just watch this and think back to when you saw our beloved Krocodilian Monarch for the first time ever and reminisce about how you felt and what you were thinking, then share your experience that you had! Yayyyyyyyy!!!!
I sound so ****ing lame I know.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Can't remember my reaction all that well, given I was 5 at the time watching a cousin play it, but I imagine it was something to the effect of "Why is he being mean to the monkeys?" And when the Kredits fake-out happened, "Almost had it!"

OP updated again, clocking us in at 540 Kutthroats. @ Handy Man Handy Man , your naming woes are no more.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I remember wondering why a crocodile would want bananas and was on pirate ship dressed as a King. I was a curious child always asking questions.......

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Can't remember my reaction all that well, given I was 5 at the time watching a cousin play it, but I imagine it was something to the effect of "Why is he being mean to the monkeys?" And when the Kredits fake-out happened, "Almost had it!"

OP updated again, clocking us in at 540 Kutthroats. @ Handy Man Handy Man , your naming woes are no more.
Thanks dude! I really appreciate it. :happysheep:

Anyway, when I got to K. Rool for the first time, I had no idea what to expect. I found Donkey Kong Country to be really hard back then (it still kinda is), and when I saw our Kremling leader, I was like "That's the guy who stole the bananas?". I also got thrown off by the Kredits when I was younger, and as I didn't know any better, I was happy to know that I beat the game. Then he came back to life and killed me while I wasn't paying attention. I eventually beat him, though!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I genuinely would believe that Sakurai knows/cares so little about the DK series that he'd just assume the Rocketbarrel theme was exclusive to Gear Getaway. Should be a neat stage though, hopefully, if that's what we're actually getting.

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
Whenever someone brings up that he is not relevant anymore. I want to grab them by the neck and shake them while saying "Then what about Captain Falcon, Game & Watch and Ice Climbers, HUH?!"

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Reminds me of Stickerbrush Symphony being called Bramble Blast for Brawl.
The difference being that Bramble Blast literally was the first time Stickerbrush Symphony and bramble levels in general appeared... not true for Gear Getaway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I genuinely would believe that Sakurai knows/cares so little about the DK series that he'd just assume the Rocketbarrel theme was exclusive to Gear Getaway. Should be a neat stage though, hopefully, if that's what we're actually getting.
I think a similar thing happened in Brawl, where "King K. Rool/Ship Deck 2" was the title of the Gangplank Galleon remix, despite there not being a track called "King K. Rool" in any of the games and "Ship Deck 2" actually being another name for "Rattle Battle" from DKC2 (to my knowledge).

Although. . .

Take a listen. . .they seem to be the same track.

In which case, Gear Getaway is simply the official title for the track we've already heard from April.

I just went into the leak thread, saw an argument about how King K was not fit for smash, I then left in disgust. Who needs non-believers?
Call him 'retro' and watch them collectively bandwagon over him by sheer virtue of the label 'retro.' :troll:

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
The leaks thread is controlled by a few central people who believe Ridley is a lock 100% despite the fact that he's in one "alive" leak which is the foul mouth leak. He's nowhere to be found in the Ninka leak which is the big cheese right now due to those pics. The leaks thread inserted Ridley in due to favoritism *ahem* eerrm I mean "none conflicting info". King K. Rool has no room in that little world. I have no problem with Ridley, it's just obnoxious to place a character that has debatable evidence going for him in every prediction roster but the DK newcomer either won't happen or is auto Dixie cause King K. Is irrelevant now. It's gettin old.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I think I'm starting to hate Dixie Kong now. I feel like most of the people who support Dixie (and not K. Rool) are just more people who say that whole "K. Rool isn't relevant" garbage. How could you possibly want another monkey over a killer kroc? They are traitors in my eyes. Traitors to the real DKC.

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm starting to hate Dixie Kong now. I feel like most of the people who support Dixie (and not K. Rool) are just more people who say that whole "K. Rool isn't relevant" garbage. How could you possibly want another monkey over a killer kroc? They are traitors in my eyes. Traitors to the real DKC.
Eh, don't hate a whole group over a select few. It will give the Kutthroats a bad image.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Kinda starting to get the same vibe myself. Before everything got posted, I didn't really care one way or the other, but now I really don't care for Dixie in the slightest. I think K.Rool is a much better choice - we've got Bowser to be the most well known villain, Ganondorf (hopefully) to be the actually evil one, and K.Rool always seemed like that comedic villain who is cartoonishly evil but still makes you laugh. I guess it's the bug-eyes. It'd be a nice mix.

It could be personal preference...my first DK game was DK64, so I don't really know Dixie as much as I know Tiny (and I loved her. And Chunky. And Funky. And Cranky. Yeah, most of them.) K.Rool seemed like a great villain, too, so I'd far rather have him than Dixie.

We could try to lock Dixie in K.Lumsy's cage until the Kremling King is Konfirmed?:grin:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There seem to be two common types of Dixie fan, from what I've seen. The first type likes the character for the character, and often is a big fan of the entire DKC franchise as well (and K. Rool along with it; many of them can be found in this very thread). Those guys are chill. The second type started putting the character on their "prediction" rosters when Tropical Freeze was announced, and although they claim to care about the character now, would just as soon leave her in the dust if a single new game didn't feature her.

It's the second type that are irritants to the K. Rool fanbase. . .although, for better or worse, a benefit of K. Rool reappearing in a main DK game would be to harness the noise they generate for the King's own gain in Smash.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Makes sense. If you look under it, there's four Zelda songs, presumably for Gerudo Valley and Spirit Train. So it seems Jungle Japes is all we're getting.

Couldn't even be arsed to make a new DK stage, eh Sakurai? Too busy making sure Dark Pit's model looks great?
Just as I feared, and expected. The only hope is that you have unlock more DK stages, which in turn will unlock more DK music then the two shown but I'm not counting on it.

You guys need to stop being so pessimistic. This is one leak we are talking here. One that ain't even that good. Stop being such downers, we are Kutthroats, we are supposed to be high in spirits!
To be fair, I had suspected that DK was only going to get one stage on the 3DS far before the leak. Them advertising Past Melee stages as new for DK and Metroid immediately gave me red flags about the stage selection in this game.

I wonder whether Gear Getaway is a new track or is the official name for the Rocket Barrel remix we heard in the Direct. As far as I remember, there are two Rocket Barrel themes in Returns, the first of which played in the Gear Getaway level and is the Smash version as well.

Thing is, other than a Temple remix being added to Temple in Brawl, we haven't had any new music added to returning stages. Odds are, this is either part of a 3DS Returns stage or a stage-less track.
There were three Rocket Barrel themes in DKCR: Mine Menace, Gear Getaway, and Hot Rocket.

If Gear Getaway is the name of the Rocket Barrel theme from the direct, then they are technically wrong, as Mine Menace should be the name since it's the full extended version of the Rocket Barrel theme (the one heard in the direct and the tournament), and not the shortened versions (which are Gear Getaway and Hot Rocket).

Unless, of course, there is actually a Gear Getaway stage which would justify the song name change.

Last edited:

Mistress Nicole

Smash Apprentice
I view K. Rool as a Kool Kombination of Bowser, Ganondorf And Dr. Eggman.
He has the fear inducing reptile likeness and comedic value of Bowser, The evil kruelness and raw power of Ganondorf, and the fatness and genius plans of Dr. Eggman. He's the good aspects of each one!

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I view K. Rool as a Kool Kombination of Bowser, Ganondorf And Dr. Eggman.
He has the fear inducing reptile likeness and comedic value of Bowser, The evil kruelness and raw power of Ganondorf, and the fatness and genius plans of Dr. Eggman.
I view K. Rool as his own thing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Make that a quadrumvirate. I don't even care what you're being pessimistic about. No one can be more pessimistic than me about anything.
And, you are out of the running for Pessimistic Peter.
*which honestly sounds like a dong with an STD....*

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm still staying optimistic despite the leak...but how would you guys feel if the DK series got the shaft again?
I would never get over this:

But don't say that to people, because of course Sakurai would add more content with games he's familiar with. I mean, I've never heard of Donkey Kong! It couldn't be the series that started in 1981 and has made one of the biggest impacts on Nintendo! Not only that, but it's still one of the most relevant franchises that Nintendo owns!

... Sorry about that.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm still staying optimistic despite the leak...but how would you guys feel if the DK series got the shaft again?
It would really be a shame if more niche games like Star Fox, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem had more content than a franchise as classic and beloved as Donkey Kong. Seriously, how are characters like Dark Pit and Robin more iconic, memorable, and important to their series compared to Dixie Kong and King K. Rool? I know that no character takes any other character's spot in the roster, but I really feel like Sakurai should set his priorities straight and focus on putting important character from each game series before putting in his own desires. Mario had the whole gang since Melee (sans Wario, who's more of a secondary character and has his own series regardless), Pokemon has some popular and famous Pokemon playable in various games (Pikachu, Kanto starters, Mewtwo, Lucario, etc.), and Zelda has had all of the main and reoccurring characters since Melee. It's time for Donkey Kong to get the long overdue treatment that he deserves!

El Chunko

Smash Cadet

A factory stage would also be pretty fitting for King K. Rool . . . :)

Top Bottom