• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, a Kremland stage with Disco Train music would give me a heart attack. :laugh:

I really hope we get a non-jungle DK stage this time.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, a Kremland stage with Disco Train music would give me a heart attack. :laugh:

I was thinking of some Tropical Freeze-based stage, with ice and stuff, or maybe a volcano with minecarts. Kremland would be cool too.

D

Deleted member

I've decided to throw in my support for King K. Rool so he can Krush the Kompetition, making them Kringe at his loyal Kremling Kutthroats, Kheering him on, watching from the Gangplank Galleon.
I know the drill :joyful:

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm probably whistling in the wind here, but I did find something curious, has anyone noticed THIS before

Smash run is shaped like a pirate ship XD funny coincidence, eh?
The shape and layout is supposedly randomly generated, so I wouldn't deep read into it.

Also, I still find it weird we only have 1 Donkey Kong stage, and it's a past stage.

Like you figure we are getting 3 or 4 new stages from Donkey Kong, and we haven't gotten 1.

I mean, pre-release we should have another one available, right=???

RIGHT=???

Doesn't the lack of that infer that:
A. We're getting a trailer for a newly confirmed character/characters on said stage(s).
B. We're getting a trailer for a newly confirmed character/characters with said stage(s) confirmed at a later date.
C. We're getting a stage confirmed and then a trailer for a newly confirmed character/characters.
D. We're getting a stage confirmed and any newcomer will be a "hidden" character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Klubba/Kudgel would be a great Smash Run enemy, since his patterns are really simple and would work definitely work in a Smash bros environment.
This is something worth noting. All bosses in Smash thus far are "Sakurai Bosses". . .their patterns consist of attacking, standing in place doing nothing for a few seconds, and attacking again. That fits Kudgel's attack pattern from DKC2 down to a 'T.'

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet

This is what I'm hoping for. Every Smash game has featured a jungle-themed DK stage. I'd like to see them branch out and incorporate the more unique levels of DKC whether it be Gangplank Galleon or maybe a stage themed around the factory levels.

I've always imagined Tree Top Town making a good stage (even though its still jungle-themed:)) or maybe even Bramble Blast. Gangplank Galleon is still the most likely and would love for that to be the Rool's homestage.

D

Deleted member

This is what I'm hoping for. Every Smash game has featured a jungle-themed DK stage. I'd like to see them branch out and incorporate the more unique levels of DKC whether it be Gangplank Galleon or maybe a stage themed around the factory levels.

I've always imagined Tree Top Town making a good stage (even though its still jungle-themed:)) or maybe even Bramble Blast. Gangplank Galleon is still the most likely and would love for that to be the Rool's homestage.
I think a Gangplank Galleon stage could work, especially if the boat travelled throughout the stage to some Tropical Freeze and Returns locales before going back to its original location. That would function as K. Rool's home stage while still representing Returns and Tropical Freeze on the Wii U.

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
I think a Gangplank Galleon stage could work, especially if the boat travelled throughout the stage to some Tropical Freeze and Returns locales before going back to its original location. That would function as K. Rool's home stage while still representing Returns and Tropical Freeze on the Wii U.
That's something I've never thought of. That would be really cool. You start off on the classic Gangplank Galleon setting and it could gradually sale by locations from the original trilogy and the modern series

D

Deleted member

That's something I've never thought of. That would be really cool. You start off on the classic Gangplank Galleon setting and it could gradually sale by locations from the original trilogy and the modern series
It would be even better if it went in chronological order of releases. It certainly beats Rumble Falls.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't mind that, although The Flying Krock would work just as well for that, and The Flying Krock has a very unique design, too. :D

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Tiki Tong should make an appearance in Smash 4? I don't mean as a payable character, of course, but I also don't mean as just a trophy for the gallery. Perhaps an assist trophy or a stage boss? I think that would be cool. I doubt Lord Fredrik would appear even as a trophy.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind that, although The Flying Krock would work just as well for that, and The Flying Krock has a very unique design, too. :D
Maybe the Gangplank Galleon could set sail through the original series, but then it would sail into the distance as fighters got into the Flying Krock to traverse more treacherous DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze levels (especially Tropical Freeze). :estatic:

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I like what I see in this thread. The main villain of one of Nintendo's most important franchises of all time? Hell to the yes. Plus, DKC games are fantastic and we need more stuff from them in Smash. More music, stages, and characters please. I am one of you now.

D

Deleted member

I like what I see in this thread. The main villain of one of Nintendo's most important franchises of all time? Hell to the yes. Plus, DKC games are fantastic and we need more stuff from them in Smash. More music, stages, and characters please. I am one of you now.
Initiation time! Welcome. :b:

Zynux

Smash Lord
This is something worth noting. All bosses in Smash thus far are "Sakurai Bosses". . .their patterns consist of attacking, standing in place doing nothing for a few seconds, and attacking again. That fits Kudgel's attack pattern from DKC2 down to a 'T.'
That's because boss battles really don't work at all in Smash. They have to be simple or they would run circles around you because of the floaty physics.

Which is why no one should be happy at the prospect Ridley and K. Rool possibly ending up as Boss Hazards; they would be nothing but piantas just asking to be hit and be a disservice to their respective characters.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
That's because boss battles really don't work at all in Smash. They have to be simple or they would run circles around you because of the floaty physics.

Which is why no one should be happy at the prospect Ridley and K. Rool possibly ending up as Boss Hazards; they would be nothing but piantas just asking to be hit and be a disservice to their respective characters.
Wait, wait, hold up......piantas? As in this?:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I disagree with the notion of them being "Sakurai Bosses." Sakurai makes way better boss battles than this.

This is the entire issue. They aren't "Sakurai Bosses," they are "Smash Bros. Bosses." Smash Bros. Bosses can't be as active as other bosses, they have to basically be pinatas.

Granted, K. Rool's original Gangplank Galleon boss strategy COULD work as a boss hazard, but he'd have to be much slower. Still, there's so much more he can bring to the table if he's based on his other bosses.

Ridley on the other hand would be nothing like his original boss battles.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I disagree with the notion of them being "Sakurai Bosses." Sakurai makes way better boss battles than this.
That wasn't intended as an insult at Sakurai, it's the way a lot of the bosses are designed in Kirby games. . .extended periods of stagnation during which the player can get in hits, followed by shorter periods of attacking. This has largely carried over into Smash as well with most of its bosses, which is where you unfortunately see otherwise mobile characters like Ridley becoming "piantas" (heh).

Zynux

Smash Lord
Wait, wait, hold up......piantas? As in this?:
LOL woops. Don't know why Sunshine was on my mind at the time. I'm not even going to edit it, heh :shades:

This is the entire issue. They aren't "Sakurai Bosses," they are "Smash Bros. Bosses." Smash Bros. Bosses can't be as active as other bosses, they have to basically be pinatas.
Yes, bosses in Smash Bros have to be really limited to even work well. After Master hand and Crazy Hand, it still baffles me why the franchise is even bothering with Boss fights. Especially since...

Granted, K. Rool's original Gangplank Galleon boss strategy COULD work as a boss hazard, but he'd have to be much slower. Still, there's so much more he can bring to the table if he's based on his other bosses.

Ridley on the other hand would be nothing like his original boss battles.
...now they're trying to emulate these "boss fights" in the middle of Smash matches, limiting their movement, attacks, and AI even more because otherwise there will be too much stuff going on at once. Original K. Rool's boss fight in DKC1 may have worked in a 1v1 isolated boss fight, but there's no way in hell K. Rool's fight will work during a 4-player free-for-all...unless he just stands there and only does one move every hour. Cannonball Raid would be annoying as hell.

And don't even get me started on Ridley. His most famous 2D fight in Super Metroid is all about is aerial mobility, his aggressive speed, and relentless attacking. I can guarantee you the none of these will be present if he is on the Pyrosphere. He will fly stationary in one position, shoot fire/plasma, land on ground for his scheduled pummeling, fly back up, go back to the other side of the stage and repeat ad-verbatim.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I think a Skyloft-ish traveling stage that travels around the Crocodile Isle would me amazing, with each section having a gimmick.

1. Starting on Gangplank Galleon, similar to Pirate Ship but taking up the whole screen with no water hazard. Platforms along the ship poles and the back of the stage slightly raised (when the steeling wheel is) Stage tilts left and right about 5 degrees during battle

2. Crocodile Cauldron would be low to the ground with rocks in lava as the platforms. Lava hazard similar to Brinstar but dosent rise/set.

3. Krem Quay would be swampy. Decks and lilys as platforms, swamp acts as a water hazard.

4. Krazy Kremland would be a flat stage near a zinger hive and the park. Zingers and a skull cart occasionally appear as hazards.

5. Gloomy Gulch would be a full stage that's hilly with wind effecting your position, and more so affecting your jumps. Perhaps Kackle could attack every now and then.

6. K Rool's Keep would be at the very top. You can fall off the sides of the keep. No real hazards.

7. The Flying Krock. Large wobbly platform. Eventually will start flying lower then arrive near the Galleon when it transitions to the beginning.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I can't believe we're about 31 days away from knowing the full roster, unless Sakurai has DLC plans. We're so close now...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think a Skyloft-ish traveling stage that travels around the Crocodile Isle would me amazing, with each section having a gimmick.

1. Starting on Gangplank Galleon, similar to Pirate Ship but taking up the whole screen with no water hazard. Platforms along the ship poles and the back of the stage slightly raised (when the steeling wheel is) Stage tilts left and right about 5 degrees during battle

2. Crocodile Cauldron would be low to the ground with rocks in lava as the platforms. Lava hazard similar to Brinstar but dosent rise/set.

3. Krem Quay would be swampy. Decks and lilys as platforms, swamp acts as a water hazard.

4. Krazy Kremland would be a flat stage near a zinger hive and the park. Zingers and a skull cart occasionally appear as hazards.

5. Gloomy Gulch would be a full stage that's hilly with wind effecting your position, and more so affecting your jumps. Perhaps Kackle could attack every now and then.

6. K Rool's Keep would be at the very top. You can fall off the sides of the keep. No real hazards.

7. The Flying Krock. Large wobbly platform. Eventually will start flying lower then arrive near the Galleon when it transitions to the beginning.
Personally I hate this idea. I hate traveling stages in general. I'd rather fight on top of the Flying Krock as it shows off other areas in the background.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Being relegated to boss status is one of the worst things that could happen to K. Rool. Not only would it be incredibly awkward to see him several times Bowser's size, but it's just not a fun role for a character to have. If you really like K. Rool as a character, it just wouldn't be much fun seeing him repeat the same telegraphed maneuvers over and over again, for all eternity. Smash bosses, especially stage bosses, like @ Zynux Zynux said, have highly limited AI. They come off more as mindless animatronics than the characters they're supposed to be. K. Rool's original SNES boss fights were much like this, so I can imagine a boss role being appreciated as a nice throwback for about a week before everyone starts wishing he were playable instead.

I'd rather see K. Rool appear as an Assist Trophy. At least then, he'd have a little more character and would seem to be more involved in the actual fighting. If, by some chance, he ended up being a boss but had a lot of unique animations and personality quirks, I'd probably prefer him in that role (since he was created to be a boss, after all). But if he simply ended up like the Yellow Devil or Brawl's Ridley, I'd rather he be spared of that fate.

To weigh in again on the stage debate, I'd much prefer Gangplank Galleon to the Flying Krock. Sure, we already have (and have had) a pirate ship stage with the Paper Mario stage and Pirate Ship, respectively, but we also have (and have had) a flying fortress of villainy stage with Halberd. My hope is that Gangplank Galleon shows up on the Wii U version, so that its aesthetic doesn't have to conflict with that of the Paper Mario stage on 3DS.

Gangplank should pull elements from both DKC1 and DKC2, for the record. Have it be a stage with phases, like Castle Siege. The first phase takes place on the ship's masts, with rope ladders and crow's nests for platforms, like in the opening levels of DKC2. Then the players fall down onto the deck, which would resemble K. Rool's arena from the end of DKC1, complete with cannonball rain as a hazard. Finally, the floor of the deck caves in when a canonball falls down and breaks through it, causing the fight to transition into the confines of the ship, which has wooden crates serving as platforms and rising, swimmable water (such as in Lockjaw's Locker).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Being relegated to boss status is one of the worst things that could happen to K. Rool. Not only would it be incredibly awkward to see him several times Bowser's size, but it's just not a fun role for a character to have. If you really like K. Rool as a character, it just wouldn't be much fun seeing him repeat the same telegraphed maneuvers over and over again, for all eternity. Smash bosses, especially stage bosses, like @ Zynux Zynux said, have highly limited AI. They come off more as mindless animatronics than the characters they're supposed to be. K. Rool's original SNES boss fights were much like this, so I can imagine a boss role being appreciated as a nice throwback for about a week before everyone starts wishing he were playable instead.

I'd rather see K. Rool appear as an Assist Trophy. At least then, he'd have a little more character and would seem to be more involved in the actual fighting. If, by some chance, he ended up being a boss but had a lot of unique animations and personality quirks, I'd probably prefer him in that role (since he was created to be a boss, after all). But if he simply ended up like the Yellow Devil or Brawl's Ridley, I'd rather he be spared of that fate.

To weigh in again on the stage debate, I'd much prefer Gangplank Galleon to the Flying Krock. Sure, we already have (and have had) a pirate ship stage with the Paper Mario stage and Pirate Ship, respectively, but we also have (and have had) a flying fortress of villainy stage with Halberd. My hope is that Gangplank Galleon shows up on the Wii U version, so that its aesthetic doesn't have to conflict with that of the Paper Mario stage on 3DS.

Gangplank should pull elements from both DKC1 and DKC2, for the record. Have it be a stage with phases, like Castle Siege. The first phase takes place on the ship's masts, with rope ladders and crow's nests for platforms, like in the opening levels of DKC2. Then the players fall down onto the deck, which would resemble K. Rool's arena from the end of DKC1, complete with cannonball rain as a hazard. Finally, the floor of the deck caves in when a canonball falls down and breaks through it, causing the fight to transition into the confines of the ship, which has wooden crates serving as platforms and rising, swimmable water (such as in Lockjaw's Locker).
I think Sakurai would make Tiki Tong a stage boss or an assist trophy before he made K. Rool one since Tiki Tong would fill those roles MUCH better than K. Rool ever could.

On the topic for stage, I may be alone in my support of a Donkey Kong 64-themed traveling stage, but I don't care. I think that would be the best since DK64 is like my favorite game, the best game EVAR.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Eh, maybe. Maybe it could have phases where it breaks apart. Or perhaps it could just be permanently broken apart. Either Gangplank Galleon or Flying Krock works for me, I just want one of them. I think Flying Krock would LOOK cooler, especially in a trailer, but Gangplank Galleon would also be just as epic.

Either way what I do want for 100%? Have the trailer play Crocodile Cacophany. :D

lelelelelel

Smash Apprentice
I know that when sakurai said that we're nearing the bottom of the stash for newcomer trailers he meant at least 2 trailers, but if we don't get one this week or the next I think its just going to be 1, I don't think we are going to get two trailer at the end of this month and before the game comes out in japan

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know that when sakurai said that we're nearing the bottom of the stash for newcomer trailers he meant at least 2 trailers, but if we don't get one this week or the next I think its just going to be 1, I don't think we are going to get two trailer at the end of this month and before the game comes out in japan
If we've only got one, its probably a large trailer focusing on the Antagonists and maybe a hero.

That said I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a Smash Bros. Direct before the 3DS release in September with a trailer in it, the game doesn't release until the 13th. Plenty of time for a Direct right before release and one final reveal.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

This is a new one. I want our damn king to be revealed already so people on NeoGAF stop arbitrarily making up reasons as to why he can't be playable. Irrelevant, too big, too ugly, Bowser clone, not popular enough, and now... out of place? Good grief.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

This is a new one. I want our damn king to be revealed already so people on NeoGAF stop arbitrarily making up reasons as to why he can't be playable. Irrelevant, too big, too ugly, Bowser clone, not popular enough, and now... out of place? Good grief.

NeoGAF is an elitist GameFAQs, hackneyed Ridley jokespam and all, that does nothing to merit its image as the 'intelligent' Smash board, even though a few reasonable posters do exist there (and here, mind you) as diamonds in the proverbial coal mine. Good thing I got banned before this latest wave of idiocy crashed in.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

NeoGAF is an elitist GameFAQs that does nothing to merit its stereotype as the 'intelligent' Smash board, even though a few reasonable posters do exist as diamonds in the proverbial coal mine. Good thing I got banned before this latest wave of idiocy crashed in.
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you get banned from that place? Was it because of something related to K. Rool?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The more and more I think about it, I really don't want bosses at all on stages, and especially not if they're notable characters. I look at the Yellow Devil boss fight and just see how much of a pain in the ass it looks to be. It doesn't look fun in the least bit, it's a first few times novelty fight that if you can turn it off you'll do after the first couple of days. Every boss battle outside of Master and Crazy Hand has felt out of place for the series, and they're all just punching bags as so many people have pointed out, why waste perfectly good character choices on bosses is the question. King K. Rool and Ridley both would just feel so wasted, as would any really notable character in that spot. Use characters like the Yellow Devil that are fairly minor and don't have any fan bases for those boss fights, they won't suddenly be better with notable characters honestly. Man boss fights are actually the only part of the new Smash I'm not looking forward to at all to be completely honest. Especially not if K. Rool or Ridley get the shaft for that spot as a boss. (Lets hope Sakurai doesn't do both, because the combined fan bases would just go ballistic I feel like)

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

That has to be the single dumbest thing I've ever read.......last I checked Bowser dosent look like a plumber....

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Looks like they'll be in for a big surprise when K. Rool gets confirmed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you get banned from that place? Was it because of something related to K. Rool?
No. One poster was arguing (poorly) that female characters should be added to pacify the female demographic, basically boiling down characters to 'females' and arguing that their main worth is as part of that statistic. I made some flip response about needing to satisfy the chaotic neutral transgender animal demographic, too, and got banned because a mod 'didn't like my attitude.'

In hindsight, it wasn't funny, but I have no actual regrets about not being able to post on the site anymore, moreso that I couldn't get across how horribly reductive and stupid that poster's post was in a cleaner manner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If King K. Rool is in, how many alternates would he have? He seems to have a lot of costume potential, but I don't know which would work best, seeing as he has his Mario Super Sluggers, Scientist, and Pirate costumes.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

That's a new one. And it's just as dumb as 'relevance'.

Top Bottom