• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
With Mario getting 5 reps. and Pokemon potentially getting 6, DK better get at least 4 reps.

*edit: Zelda is probably getting 5 as well.
Fixed ;) I think that 5 for Pokemon is almost certain (Jiggs or Mewtwo, Jiggs more likely); it is the 6th one I feel there is room for an argument about (An argument that hopefully doesn't involve the so-called "Mario theory"). I think DK has a solid shot at at least one newcomer (hopefully K. Rool) and I am not sure about Zelda.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm hoping that DK gets 4 reps. The problem is, Fire Emblem has always been a series that never stuck consistently with even a few characters, especially if you don't count archetypes, and so one doesn't look as much towards series mainstays when it comes to that series, as practically every character is a one-shot. Meanwhile, Donkey Kong has always been a very interconnected series, and so Sakurai may be looking towards characters that represent the whole franchise; Of which, there are only two, as King K. Rool is not in the newer games and Dixie Kong was largely absent prior to Tropical Freeze.. That's probably part of the reason there were only 2 reps in the first place. Still, I find it likely that Sakurai has changed his mindset about that, but we'll have to wait and see.
Oh, and in case you're talking Rosalina and Greninja, Greninja is a largely similar case to Fire Emblem, as new characters are introduced every game, while Rosalina was likely a request by Nintendo, given her frequent appearances in several games. So, none of those were conscious choices on Sakurai's part. His decision to add Dixie Kong and King K. Rool will definitely be, as he's not speaking with Retro Studios, and I agree Nintendo doesn't seem to care about DK nearly as much as they should.
Dixie Kong was absent in Returns and DK64, but that's about it. K. Rool has been absent in Returns and Tropical Freeze, and that's about it.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Guys, what would happen if Chunky Kong gets in over King K Rool

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Fixed ;) I think that 5 for Pokemon is almost certain (Jiggs or Mewtwo, Jiggs more likely); it is the 6th one I feel there is room for an argument about (An argument that hopefully doesn't involve the so-called "Mario theory"). I think DK has a solid shot at at least one newcomer (hopefully K. Rool) and I am not sure about Zelda.
Depends on whether the whole trophy theory thing is true or not. Supposedly the trophy theory would point towards a Zelda and Metroid newcomer still to come.

If we ignore Gematsu and include the trophy theory we could have

1 Zelda newcomer
1 Metroid newcomer

If that's the case we could have more than enough room for 2 DK newcomers and I personally feel that we'll be getting 4 secret newcomers.

If a DK trailer comes then there's our last 2 newcomers announced

Then 4 secret newcomers. Even with Gematsu my theory can still work of course we have to ignore all current rumors.

We could be getting
Dixie and K.Rool announcement trailer

4 secret newcomers
Ridley
Shulk
Marshall/Chorus Men
Zelda newcomer

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Depends on whether the whole trophy theory thing is true or not. Supposedly the trophy theory would point towards a Zelda and Metroid newcomer still to come.

If we ignore Gematsu and include the trophy theory we could have

1 Zelda newcomer
1 Metroid newcomer

If that's the case we could have more than enough room for 2 DK newcomers and I personally feel that we'll be getting 4 secret newcomers.

If a DK trailer comes then there's our last 2 newcomers announced

Then 4 secret newcomers. Even with Gematsu my theory can still work of course we have to ignore all current rumors.

We could be getting
Dixie and K.Rool announcement trailer

4 secret newcomers
Ridley
Shulk
Marshall/Chorus Men
Zelda newcomer
The problem I have with trophy theory is not the idea (I can think of no better idea as to why he included those bits in the direct) but with the Metroid newcomer. I have no faith in Ridley being playable and cannot see what other Metroid character they would use, so that puts a spanner in the works for me.

I would not personally go above 51 + Random on a CSS screen. This said I am also expecting more cuts than most others (I personally expect one of Ness/Lucas to go as well as one of Falco/Wolf) so there could still be room for the theory you're suggesting; I don't have any qualms with it (although I will never like the idea of Chorus Men, Gematsu resigned me to it a while back).

Weavel

Smash Ace
The problem I have with trophy theory is not the idea (I can think of no better idea as to why he included those bits in the direct) but with the Metroid newcomer. I have no faith in Ridley being playable and cannot see what other Metroid character they would use, so that puts a spanner in the works for me.

I would not personally go above 51 + Random on a CSS screen. This said I am also expecting more cuts than most others (I personally expect one of Ness/Lucas to go as well as one of Falco/Wolf) so there could still be room for the theory you're suggesting; I don't have any qualms with it (although I will never like the idea of Chorus Men, Gematsu resigned me to it a while back).
What is this trophy rumor? And surely you don't bet stock in the Gematsu "leak" anymore?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*
Whenever someone says here that they have no faith in Ridley being playable, I'm just going to ask them to check the Ridley thread. The second post gives a great argument that has converted quite a few people. If you don't "get" it, it's fine as well, but remember, one needs not taint their vision.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

I personally don't believe in Gematsu anymore I was just listing it cause it dosnt interfere with my theory. I also think there will be cuts aswell

Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Wolf are in my most likely list.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
What is with the trend of thinking Wolf will get cut? Sure, what the series needs is even less villains.. Not to mention Sakurai wanted Wolf since Smash 64 apparently.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What is with the trend of thinking Wolf will get cut? Sure, what the series needs is even less villains.. Not to mention Sakurai wanted Wolf since Smash 64 apparently.
Don't get me wrong I don't want him to get cut I just feel he's a candidate. Thing is we have to be realistic odds are characters will be cut. There's good reasons to keep any character on the roster and any character can be believed not to be cut but out of what's available character wise I believe he is on the possible cut list.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to note is that Star Fox itself has a fandom that DIDN'T grow up on Melee, and those people tend to dislike Falco due to his and all allies within those games tendency to have to be rescued. He's also kinda a jerk. So, if Sakurai is actively considering who is generally better received among the Star Fox community, Falco would be more likely to be cut. Wolf is also generally well-loved among the Star Fox fandom, while the inverse is true for Falco, so, if we want to appeal to everyone, it would be better to keep both.
Edit: You know what, if you want to continue this line of conversation, PM me. This is getting terribly off-topic.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What is this trophy rumor? And surely you don't bet stock in the Gematsu "leak" anymore?
The Smash Direct back in April had four trophy quizzes.

Tiki, from Fire Emblem Awakening (had Robin's theme as the background music)
Fi, from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (had Ballad of the Goddess, that game's main theme, as background music)
King Kihunter, from Metroid Other M (had Ridley's theme as the background music)
Pseudo-Palutena, from Kid Icarus Uprising (had Palutena's theme as background music)

People figured this meant that we'd get a character from those four games, but the theory didn't really seem to gain traction until Robin was revealed and people paid attention to the specific background music that was used. While it could be a coincidence, the fact that they specifically used Robin's theme at least opens the possibility that we could be getting Ridley and a character from Skyward Sword (likely Impa or Ghirahim; Groose seems unlikely at this point, but it seems like he'd be hilarious).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
The Smash Direct back in April had four trophy quizzes.

Tiki, from Fire Emblem Awakening (had Robin's theme as the background music)
Fi, from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (had Ballad of the Goddess, that game's main theme, as background music)
King Kihunter, from Metroid Other M (had Ridley's theme as the background music)
Pseudo-Palutena, from Kid Icarus Uprising (had Palutena's theme as background music)

People figured this meant that we'd get a character from those four games, but the theory didn't really seem to gain traction until Robin was revealed and people paid attention to the specific background music that was used. While it could be a coincidence, the fact that they specifically used Robin's theme at least opens the possibility that we could be getting Ridley and a character from Skyward Sword (likely Impa or Ghirahim; Groose seems unlikely at this point, but it seems like he'd be hilarious).
You have to remember that Robin's theme is the default song on the Arena Ferox stage so it's not surprising that they would use it when showing the Tiki trophy and the Ballad of the Goddess has nothing to do with Ghirahim and Impa is highly unlikely because she's too similar to Sheik.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
You have to remember that Robin's theme is the default song on the Arena Ferox stage so it's not surprising that they would use it when showing the Tiki trophy and the Ballad of the Goddess has nothing to do with Ghirahim and Impa is highly unlikely because she's too similar to Sheik.
Ballad of the Goddess contains Ghirahim's theme, and Lucina puts a dent into the "Too similar to Sheik" argument, especially when we have never seen her fighting herself (Which could easily justify a new moveset.)
Edit: And didn't I ask you to continue this discussion in a PM with those involved?

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ballad of the Goddess contains Ghirahim's theme, and Lucina puts a dent into the "Too similar to Sheik" argument, especially when we have never seen her fighting herself (Which could easily justify a new moveset.)
I meant too similar to Sheik as a character, not in terms of moveset. They're both female sheikah ninja whatevers who you never learn anything about and just stand around all the time in the games. I don't see there being 2 of those in Smash Bros. I don't know what you're talking about saying Ballad of the Goddess contains Ghirahim's theme. Just listen for yourself and try to hear any similarities.
I sure can't hear any.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Then I guess the conspiracy theories were false...

Except several people I spoke to saw him at the San Jose Smashfest I went to during the same match, including someone I would trust with my life.

So yeah, the conspiracy is real. Bigfoot Chunk does exist!!!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Except several people I spoke to saw him at the San Jose Smashfest I went to during the same match, including someone I would trust with my life.

Not only that but descriptions of his assist actions from what I can see seem very legitimate. I don't understand why someone would make up an assist trophy of all things.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not only that but descriptions of his assist actions from what I can see seem very legitimate. I don't understand why someone would make up an assist trophy of all things.
Especially consider I talked to about 8 people that saw it, and apparently many other Best Buys had people see it.

This kind of thing doesn't happen. This isn't a Ridley conspiracy where it is super obvious it is fake.

Honestly I feel like this is an Assist Trophy character reveal meant to be a humorous part of a trailer. Chunky would be perfect for that role.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Especially consider I talked to about 8 people that saw it, and apparently many other Best Buys had people see it.

This kind of thing doesn't happen. This isn't a Ridley conspiracy where it is super obvious it is fake.

Honestly I feel like this is an Assist Trophy character reveal meant to be a humorous part of a trailer. Chunky would be perfect for that role.
Everyone thinks I'm going to totally miss the point of the joke and make a Ridley comment, but I can see your avatar...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

My favorite thing is how people dismiss the chunky AT but believe some of these leaks that are floating around......

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Can't wait look back on this thread in a year and say to myself "my secondary after wario was really In this much doubt? Can't go back to not having k rool.... Ever. These were dark times"

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I personally don't believe in Gematsu anymore I was just listing it cause it dosnt interfere with my theory. I also think there will be cuts aswell

Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucas, and Wolf are in my most likely list.
I never actually said whether I believed in Gematsu or not - just that I had come to terms with the inclusion of a Rhythm Heaven character under it. What do I currently believe? Well, it is quite easily the most reliable we have had so far, successfully predicting how many? 9 out of 11/12? Given the success I do not think it is inconceivable that there is something legitimate there, although I have always said I do not believe it is the entirety. The rest of what I remember it predicted (Shulk, Rhythm Heaven rep, Lucas/Ness cut) are all things I think have realistic chances of happening.

Regarding the most likely list, Lucas/3rd Star Fox rep are ones I would not be surprised if they were cut, or if they remained. Squirtle and Ivysaur are hopeless now in my opinion (there does come a time when there are too many Pokemon, I expect Jigglypuff and Mewtwo before, and would be very surprised at 8 Pokemon) and I don't believe Snake will be coming back either as I'd have expected to have heard from him.

*sigh*
Whenever someone says here that they have no faith in Ridley being playable, I'm just going to ask them to check the Ridley thread. The second post gives a great argument that has converted quite a few people. If you don't "get" it, it's fine as well, but remember, one needs not taint their vision.
"their vision"? "get" it? This is only a game! However as I've been called out on it I may as well explain my position. I do not think Ridley is inconceivable as a character; and it is actually the Ridley thread which convinced me of such. However, it is my personal belief that he is a boss hazard. I have read the threads and the arguments and I am not biased against Ridley - I have no attachment to him either way; it would be cool for his fans if he got in but if he doesn't it won't upset me. It just seems to me that the evidence points against him in my eyes.

I don't necessarily think Wolf will get cut (If I were to actually choose a Star Fox character to cut, it would be Falco); I just think that either he or Falco might get cut. I don't actually want either cut although I don't play as them, I just think one might be.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Everyone thinks I'm going to totally miss the point of the joke and make a Ridley comment, but I can see your avatar...
I wasn't even thinking that, lol. I was more thinking about how everyone in my line joked that "they saw and played as Ridley".

I told people that if I found Ridley though, that I'd ride him out of the Best Buy, which is where I actually go the idea for my avatar!!! :rotfl:
My favorite thing is how people dismiss the chunky AT but believe some of these leaks that are floating around......
But, da Duck Hunt Dog is cleerley haperening gais! The Ice Climbers is cut guy sed so! :rolleyes:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

I want to believe, but the lack of proof is making me skeptical. If Chunky Kong of all characters is an Assist Trophy, then there's no way in hell King K. Rool won't be playable.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I want to believe, but the lack of proof is making me skeptical. If Chunky Kong of all characters is an Assist Trophy, then there's no way in hell King K. Rool won't be playable.
Not be a downer, but I don't think Chunky being an AT would affect K. Rool's chances much. True, it's another nail in the muhrelevance coffin, but we already knew the whole argument was total bogus anyway.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Not be a downer, but I don't think Chunky being an AT would affect K. Rool's chances much. True, it's another nail in the muhrelevance coffin, but we already knew the whole argument was total bogus anyway.
Lack of relevancy is literally the only argument against K. Rool right now. What other excuse can they use? He's too big? Luckily I'm feeling confident in his chances, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Let me put it to you this way.

A famous smasher's close relative saw it (who used to go with them to tournaments a lot).

This smasher is so famous he got his own episode of "The Smash Brothers" documentary that came out last year.

I'm not saying who's relative this is, but trust me, if you follow competitive smash you know this person's relative, lol.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Let me put it to you this way.

A famous smasher's close relative saw it (who used to go with them to tournaments a lot).

This smasher is so famous he got his own episode of "The Smash Brothers" documentary that came out last year.

I'm not saying who's relative this is, but trust me, if you follow competitive smash you know this person's relative, lol.
What if the guy just wanted to mess up with the K.Rool fans by making us believe Chunky Kong could mean a step closer to K.Rool being playable? :/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think it does.

It is more proof that classic era Donkey Kong Country is the kind of Donkey Kong content we're getting.

It also shows that a quite frankly middle of the road DK character can be an assist trophy character. If it were say a top dog like Dixie, K. Rool or Cranky, that'd be another story, but if a middle of a road DK character is an assist trophy character, well, that bodes well for the top dogs in Cranky (well maybe sans the trophy situation), Dixie, and K. Rool, as well as the likelihood we get multiple of them playable.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What if the guy just wanted to mess up with the K.Rool fans by making us believe Chunky Kong could mean a step closer to K.Rool being playable? :/
Why Chunky of all characters? And it wasn't just one guy. Another random person described Chunky in the EXACT SAME WAY. And this person didn't even know who Chunky was.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why would someone I have known for about 8 years and whom I trust who has done nothing untrustworthy lie to me about it=???

What would they gain=???

And why would various random people in line tell me (numerous times; none of them were connected sans 1 group of 2, and I heard the story 6 times) the same story, on the same stage, involving the same characters, in the exact same situation=???

It literally makes no sense.

It makes even less sense when this happened at multiple Best Buys and we heard it from a lot of people on a lot of sites.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So I was at the zoo today, and saw many reptiles. Snakes, lizards, turtles, the whole nine yards.

But I couldn't find any crocodilians, not a single one. Looking back now, I'm enraged. You can't hide him forever Sakurai!!!

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Why Chunky of all characters? And it wasn't just one guy. Another random person described Chunky in the EXACT SAME WAY. And this person didn't even know who Chunky was.
I don't completely understand then why there's no proof of him. Also many people think that is fake, but I guess they are only based in the fact that there is no proof. I don't know.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That argument is going to exit this game's pre-release with more holes than a sponge made of cheese, K. Rool or no K. Rool.

The people still trying to "make muhrelevance happen" have largely abandoned arguing it directly, instead going all-in on the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy; this involves pretending that, because all of the newcomers we've seen thus far have been present in a new* game, that their presence in new* games is obviously why they were chosen, that Sakurai limited his pool of newcomers to only characters in new* games for reasons, and you're a complete and utter fool if you deny this for more reasons.

* = arbitrary term

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
That argument is going to exit this game's pre-release with more holes than a sponge made of cheese, K. Rool or no K. Rool.

The people still trying to "make muhrelevance happen" have largely abandoned arguing it directly, instead going all-in on the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy; this involves pretending that, because all of the newcomers we've seen thus far have been present in a new* game, that their presence in new* games is obviously why they were chosen, that Sakurai limited his pool of newcomers to only characters in new* games for reasons, and you're a complete and utter fool if you deny this for more reasons.

* = arbitrary term
I remember that in the Smash Bros. direct, Sakurai said that "The Super Smash Bros. series gathers the greatest Nintendo characters in one place." Notice how he said "greatest" and not "most recently seen in a game" or "most relevant in the minds of today's idiots."

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I remember that in the Smash Bros. direct, Sakurai said that "The Super Smash Bros. series gathers the greatest Nintendo characters in one place." Notice how he said "greatest" and not "most recent."
Also, the "most recent" theory goes to hell with characters like Ice Climbers, ROB or Mr. Game & Watch.

Top Bottom