• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Welp, seems the Shulk thread has surpassed us. I don't care though honestly, since I'm sure the vast majority of the posts there are just nonsense filler to up the reply count and nothing more.

Besides, we've got nothing less then high quality posts, and that's what truly matters.
That's not fair Mr. Snagret, you are on the Shulk supporters list and you used to stop by and hang out from time to time.

It's true that the thread got a bit.... unruly for a bit, but some of the long time and more prominent posters took a bit of a stand and I'm proud to say it's been a fairly spam free place for about a week now. A few posters did get worked up over the post count but you have to understand that K. Rool is one of the only big guns left in the world of Smash speculation and it's exciting to see your favorite "niche" newcomer reach a point where he is able to "hang with the big dogs." If any of you fine kutt throats want to come on by the Shulk thread sometime I'm sure you'll find it's a pretty constructive place at the moment.

I also think one of the most impressive things about the post count in this thread is that there really isn't that much to talk about. K. Rool is from an existing franchise and his move list and general design have been talked about since Brawl.... it's not like Shulk where you can talk about what sort of music, stages, and assist trophies his inclusion would bring. It's also not like Ridley, where a large number of posts are detractors just trying to troll the regulars. This thread is pretty much fueled on pure hype.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It's also not like Ridley, where a large number of posts are detractors just trying to troll the regulars. This thread is pretty much fueled on pure hype.
Heh, Ridley is still running on hype too, but also on boredom of the wait. Detractors don't really come on THAT often, and yesterday we just decided to be our own detractors and mess with everyone else. Somehow it worked.

I have half a mind of Drawing Broley (as pictured in avatar) with K.Rool, rapping.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
And a trophy/AT wouldn't? I figure that if Sakurai doesn't make him playable for whatever reason, making him a boss/AT would be the next best thing.
I'd say AT would be the best, and boss after that.
I just prefer AT's to bosses to be honest, they are bound to appear on more stages than just one and feel pretty powerful.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
...........um, how so?
A new franchise like Xenoblade or Golden Sun offers an entire franchise worth of content to explore. Hmmm, maybe I worded things poorly. The inclusion of K. Rool could more easily lead to things like specific Kremlings as assists or Gangplank Galleon as a stage, but those things could also exist with out him so they are less likely to be a focal point of conversation. His theme has made it into the games with out him, after all.

I guess what I mean is that the Shulk thread acts more like the general Xenoblade content thread while this thread is much more tightly focuses on K. Rool himself as a character. It was a legitimate compliment and I'm sorry if it seemed back handed or insulting in anyway.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just prefer AT's to bosses to be honest, they are bound to appear on more stages than just one and feel pretty powerful.
I think Boss would be preferable over assist for K. Rool. It is a more visible and therefore "important" spot. Honestly, I want K. Rool playable but I don't think a boss spot would be a slap in the face (as it would be for Ridley.) K. Rool has been out of the spot light for a while and that sort of role would be great way to introduce him to younger games and increase his profile.

Of course the BEST way to raise his profile would be to make him playable, so Sakurai should probably go with that instead.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I think Boss would be preferable over assist for K. Rool. It is a more visible and therefore "important" spot. Honestly, I want K. Rool playable but I don't think a boss spot would be a slap in the face (as it would be for Ridley.) K. Rool has been out of the spot light for a while and that sort of role would be great way to introduce him to younger games and increase his profile.

Of course the BEST way to raise his profile would be to make him playable, so Sakurai should probably go with that instead.
And maybe THEN Retro would put him back in his righteous spot as a DKC villain.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And maybe THEN Retro would put him back in his righteous spot as a DKC villain.
I actually liked the Snomads, but yeah, its' Kremling time.

Funny how Nintendo was all about DK getting some new villains, yet Mario hasn't seen Tatanga or Wart in years.

Briokinho

Smash Cadet
AT would be best as well. Making K. Rool, heck even Ridley, a boss would be a cheap cop out to promote a disruptive new gimmick, evade fan backlash because they WERE represented, and keeping them from wasting more hours of development time on making them playable characters. And what is worse, i can see Sakurai having this kind of lazy reasoning nowadays...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I also think it's weird that all the bosses we've seen so far have been rather small characters (in the context of their franchise, not their physical size) that most likely wouldn't be considered for playable status. Maybe it's because we haven't seen many bosses yet, but I think it's still something to take note of.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
AT would be best as well. Making K. Rool, heck even Ridley, a boss would be a cheap cop out to promote a disruptive new gimmick, evade fan backlash because they WERE represented, and keeping them from wasting more hours of development time on making them playable characters. And what is worse, i can see Sakurai having this kind of lazy reasoning nowadays...
If Ridley and k Rool are bosses we should definitely start a boycott movement until they are playable.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I also think it's weird that all the bosses we've seen so far have been rather small characters (in the context of their franchise, not their physical size) that most likely wouldn't be considered for playable status. Maybe it's because we haven't seen many bosses yet, but I think it's still something to take note of.
Well, you can't go and make them too big. Their sizes allow them to make them functionable as a boss without impeding the fight on the stage too much with their presence alone. I think.
Except Ridley apparently is a whole lot smaller but I think you can derive my opinion on Ridley from my avatar.
That and you are on the Ridley support thread anyway.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, you can't go and make them too big. Their sizes allow them to make them functionable as a boss without impeding the fight on the stage too much with their presence alone. I think.
Except Ridley apparently is a whole lot smaller but I think you can derive my opinion on Ridley from my avatar.
That and you are on the Ridley support thread anyway.
I meant big as important, not big as in large.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
When do you guys think the next smash direct will be? I know we're getting a zelda one today but do you think we could have another by the middle or end of this month?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
When do you guys think the next smash direct will be? I know we're getting a zelda one today but do you think we could have another by the middle or end of this month?
First week of September, although I think we will get a company wide direct at the end of this month. Plenty of time for 2-3 more trailers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think for sure we're getting a general Direct either this week or next week, and a Smash Direct at the end of the month or the beginning of next month.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I think we will have another Direct by the middle-end of August, say, 22nd or so.

Also, stopped reading the leak after "I’m an employee at Nintendo of America. I can’t say much more about my specific position. But I can tell you this."

That's obviously a way to gain false credibility, like the guy who said Namco fired him and was mad at them blah blah blah

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Metroid Trailer
Donkey kong trailer
Star fox trailer
More like Villains Trailer, DK Trailer, and new Franchise Trailer (Battle of the Psychics?!). I don't think we're getting a Star Fox Trailer at all. If Star Fox characters feature in a trailer, they'll feature in other ones, such as Wolf in a Villains/Antagonists Trailer (even if Wolf isn't a "villain," he's DEFINITELY an Antagonist).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
More like Villains Trailer, DK Trailer, and new Franchise Trailer (Battle of the Psychics?!). I don't think we're getting a Star Fox Trailer at all. If Star Fox characters feature in a trailer, they'll feature in other ones, such as Wolf in a Villains/Antagonists Trailer (even if Wolf isn't a "villain," he's DEFINITELY an Antagonist).
Star Fox newcomers tend to be unlockables anyway, so even if we do get Krystal I am doubtful we would see a trailer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Star Fox newcomers tend to be unlockables anyway, so even if we do get Krystal I am doubtful we would see a trailer.
That's because Star Fox newcomers tend to be clones. If Krystal is playable, I think she'd be announced before release because she most likely wouldn't be a clone. Wolf was a semiclone, but still a clone.

Either way I don't think Krystal will be playable in this game. If any other franchises reach 4 characters in this game, DK is the only one I think will get it.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Is anyone here concerned that the Ninka/Vaanrose leak could be legit? Usually I don't worry about leaks, but alot of people think this might be true.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Is anyone here concerned that the Ninka/Vaanrose leak could be legit? Usually I don't worry about leaks, but alot of people think this might be true.
I don't want to derail the thread talking about this leak but I'll tell you this. I take all leaks with a huge spoon of salt no matter how many people latch on to it and believe it. I like to keep an open mind about them and look at them from both a negative and positive standpoint. My personal thoughts on any leak that dosent have picture picture evidence is it's 80% fake. Anyone can type up a leak and sound convincing.

Even leaks with K.Rool I don't believe I honestly feel that no one knows the roster. We will find out through a picture leak. Hopefully K.Rool will be there

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No. I'm not going to buy any leaks at all at this point, and please, STOP worrying about leaks. Everyone was so worked up over Gematsu, the ONE legit leak that had any backing for it, and look what happened.

We're not going to know any real leaks until the Japanese version of Smash 3DS comes out. Once the game comes out, we'll know which leaks are legit and which aren't.

I don't want to derail the thread talking about this leak but I'll tell you this. I take all leaks with a huge spoon of salt no matter how many people latch on to it and believe it. I like to keep an open mind about them and look at them from both a negative and positive standpoint. My personal thoughts on any leak that dosent have picture picture evidence is it's 80% fake. Anyone can type up a leak and sound convincing.

Even leaks with K.Rool I don't believe I honestly feel that no one knows the roster. We will find out through a picture leak. Hopefully K.Rool will be there
Well some people do know the roster. :D Namely Sakurai.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So it appears we're going through "Disconfirmation Mondays"... Hopefully K. Rool won't meet the same fate soon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not gonna say it isn't true, because it could be, but it's got alot of really unusual, just odd things that make it seem unlikely.

-What kind of sane person mentions their contact's role in the game development? If he was recently fired, Nintendo could easily find that information, and that person.

-A hovering Clown Car just seems like something that couldn't work. I'm not going to count out Sakurai here, but unless he's got a flying mechanic, which seems like something Sakurai would not opt for with the new system, jumping would be a bit awkward. Unless of course it doesnt hover, but then it's not really the clown car.

- That, and Jr. having no colors of his own seems incredibly farfetched. It just seems like something Sakurai wouldn't do, even if he was interested in alt characters.

- Dark Pit and Doctor Mario kind of go against everything Sakurai's said. He could easily make them alt characters with different voices (in Dark Pit's case) and graphics for their FSs, but making them clones really contradicts what he said about Lucina being "very lucky to be her own character." That, and something that else that's bothering me: Why ignore Dr. Luigi in all this, when they both could easily be alt costumes?

- Monado Modes. I know there are several of you here who don't frequent the Shulk thread, but our general consensus is that the leak is probably bull**** (Correct me if I'm wrong.) on the basis of this alone. First of all, the Monado doesn't really have modes, unless you consider "Activated" and "Not Activated" modes. It has abilities it uses while it's activated, and when it's not all the skills are exclusively Shulk's. Besides that, Shulk in Xenoblade is pretty fragile, and is definitely not a tank character, and is more of a glass cannon.

Giving him a stat-based stance change moveset makes no sense in the context of both the character and the game, which is something I think Sakurai this time seems to be avoiding (Hell, even Lucina makes sense as a Marth clone, because she literally was impersonating Marth and admired him from the legends.).

- Duck Hunt Dog could make sense, but that seems like a pretty unusual choice for Sakurai to make. Then again, all the other good Retro reps aside from Mach Rider and Muddy Mole are out the window, now. It could happen, with or without this leak.

- Why reduce Wario to 8 costumes from 12 when the assets were already there?

- Why cut Wolf specifically, when Sakurai really likes Wolf and has considered adding him even before Brawl?

What I think may have happened: The guy had access to E3 stuff, or access to some parts of the game, and was making up a roster to sound like a big shot. He's also clearly never played Xenoblade, because he didn't seem to think Monado Modes were unusual in the slightest.

or

The guy is intentionally ****ing with the people who actually "leaked" this stuff, since I think Ninka actually said he thought it might be a possibility.

And on the off--chance that this is actually true, K. Rool and Ridley are actually pretty unaffected by it. Especially since even the leaker thought there were probably at least a couple more newcomers they didn't know about.

I'm gonna say my final thoughts is it goes against everything Sakurai's doing for this game, and that these specific characters don't mesh well with the ones we currently have.

So it appears we're going through "Disconfirmation Mondays"... Hopefully K. Rool won't meet the same fate soon.
Hey, don't worry about it. Two times =/= trend. Didn't people learn their lesson about that with Fire Emblem?

(Two lords in both games prior to this, one being Marth and one being "insert most recent lord here". Oh well, looks like Ike was cut and all we got was Chrom. :shades: )

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Technically it's "Retro Disconfirmation Monday."

I don't think we need to worry. All that's been going on lately is narrowing down the potential newcomers to an incredibly select few. King K. Rool is one of those select few.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Technically it's "Retro Disconfirmation Monday."

I don't think we need to worry. All that's been going on lately is narrowing down the potential newcomers to an incredibly select few. King K. Rool is one of those select few.
This. I stated in the Mewtwo thread that no news is good news. Same holds true here.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
This. I stated in the Mewtwo thread that no news is good news. Same holds true here.
Same for us. No news is always welcomed with open arms and glasses of alcoholic beverage. Unless one of our characters gets revealed as playable of course, but that's only going to happen in a trailer.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm not gonna say it isn't true, because it could be, but it's got alot of really unusual, just odd things that make it seem unlikely.

-What kind of sane person mentions their contact's role in the game development? If he was recently fired, Nintendo could easily find that information, and that person.

-A hovering Clown Car just seems like something that couldn't work. I'm not going to count out Sakurai here, but unless he's got a flying mechanic, which seems like something Sakurai would not opt for with the new system, jumping would be a bit awkward. Unless of course it doesnt hover, but then it's not really the clown car.

- That, and Jr. having no colors of his own seems incredibly farfetched. It just seems like something Sakurai wouldn't do, even if he was interested in alt characters.

- Dark Pit and Doctor Mario kind of go against everything Sakurai's said. He could easily make them alt characters with different voices (in Dark Pit's case) and graphics for their FSs, but making them clones really contradicts what he said about Lucina being "very lucky to be her own character." That, and something that else that's bothering me: Why ignore Dr. Luigi in all this, when they both could easily be alt costumes?

- Monado Modes. I know there are several of you here who don't frequent the Shulk thread, but our general consensus is that the leak is probably bull**** (Correct me if I'm wrong.) on the basis of this alone. First of all, the Monado doesn't really have modes, unless you consider "Activated" and "Not Activated" modes. It has abilities it uses while it's activated, and when it's not all the skills are exclusively Shulk's. Besides that, Shulk in Xenoblade is pretty fragile, and is definitely not a tank character, and is more of a glass cannon.

Giving him a stat-based stance change moveset makes no sense in the context of both the character and the game, which is something I think Sakurai this time seems to be avoiding (Hell, even Lucina makes sense as a Marth clone, because she literally was impersonating Marth and admired him from the legends.).

- Duck Hunt Dog could make sense, but that seems like a pretty unusual choice for Sakurai to make. Then again, all the other good Retro reps aside from Mach Rider and Muddy Mole are out the window, now. It could happen, with or without this leak.

- Why reduce Wario to 8 costumes from 12 when the assets were already there?

- Why cut Wolf specifically, when Sakurai really likes Wolf and has considered adding him even before Brawl?

What I think may have happened: The guy had access to E3 stuff, or access to some parts of the game, and was making up a roster to sound like a big shot. He's also clearly never played Xenoblade, because he didn't seem to think Monado Modes were unusual in the slightest.

or

The guy is intentionally ****ing with the people who actually "leaked" this stuff, since I think Ninka actually said he thought it might be a possibility.

And on the off--chance that this is actually true, K. Rool and Ridley are actually pretty unaffected by it. Especially since even the leaker thought there were probably at least a couple more newcomers they didn't know about.

I'm gonna say my final thoughts is it goes against everything Sakurai's doing for this game, and that these specific characters don't mesh well with the ones we currently have.

Hey, don't worry about it. Two times =/= trend. Didn't people learn their lesson about that with Fire Emblem?

(Two lords in both games prior to this, one being Marth and one being "insert most recent lord here". Oh well, looks like Ike was cut and all we got was Chrom. :shades: )
This.

Let me further add that the leaks and rumors threads in general are fueled by a heavy amount of personal bias. Any leaks that don't contain Ridley are combined with leaks that do (as they don't conflict) as to make him relevant to the leak. Any leaks that don't contain Shulk aren't even discussed.

I have no problem with Shulk or Ridley and would love to see both but there's isn't anymore evidence at this point for them as there is for any other heavily wanted character. The rumor thread sees what they want to see.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This.

Let me further add that the leaks and rumors threads in general are fueled by a heavy amount of personal bias. Any leaks that don't contain Ridley are combined with leaks that do (as they don't conflict) as to make him relevant to the leak. Any leaks that don't contain Shulk aren't even discussed.

I have no problem with Shulk or Ridley and would love to see both but there's isn't anymore evidence at this point for them as there is for any other heavily wanted character. The rumor thread sees what they want to see.
More like "The only character who has any evidence for or against him is Ridley." Then again, I suppose that may play into the whole "doesn't have any more evidence" towards him, because the evidence for/against Ridley is the exact same evidence being interpreted in different ways.

There's literally no evidence of Shulk whatsoever, at least there are some things pointing towards K. Rool (Kremlings) and Ridley (teases, shadow, etc.)

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
More like "The only character who has any evidence for or against him is Ridley." Then again, I suppose that may play into the whole "doesn't have any more evidence" towards him, because the evidence for/against Ridley is the exact same evidence being interpreted in different ways.

There's literally no evidence of Shulk whatsoever, at least there are some things pointing towards K. Rool (Kremlings) and Ridley (teases, shadow, etc.)
That's what I meant, yea there was a Ridley tease which shows he will be in the game in some capacity. Ridleys shadow is no more definitive than showing nothing at all since his playability is still coming into question. Shulk, K.Rool, and Ridley are all at the same level of possibility at this point. Fans of said character will pick apart any evidence and use it as proof but at the end of the day it's all speculation.

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Can I get your guys opinion on what an epic King K Rool reveal trailer would be:

DK walks into a giant cave with a giant Golden Banana.

He throws it onto the other pile of Golden bananas.

A bomb is thrown, but is apparently a dud.

DK turns, its WARIO.

Wario, in a very sinister voice: "D'oh I Missed"

DK gets ready to fight him, then the bomb explodes.

DK is thrown against the wall and knocked out.

Wario: "Oh wait, no I Didn't"

Wario laughs and runs to the pile of Golden bananas.

As he stuffs a bag full of the bananas, a POV of someone approaching is seen.

A shadow looms over Wario.

Wario turns around.

K ROOL RETURNS

CUT TO GAMEPL:AY

Wario grabs K Rools Tail and throws him across the cave saying "have a rotten day!"

K Rool recovers and lunges towards Wario

Wario pulls out his motor cycle

The two go towards each other, but apparently Diddy hops onto Wario.

Wario's motorcycle malfunctions and hits a Wall.

Wario lies on the ground groaning.

K Rool grins then looks over.

Turns out its not Diddy, ITS DIXIE KONG.

DK comes too and makes eye contact with Dixie.

They smile, but K Rool isn't having any of it.

K Rool takes out his Blunderbuss, and the two Kongs gang up on the King

CUT TO GAMEPLAY

Wario comes to and helps the King

The scene ends with DK and DIxie vs Wario and K Rool, all four running ta each other

Last edited:
Top Bottom