• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Beating the game on Hard Mode was definitely an endeavor, especially the fights with Lord Frederik and Fugu (ugh, fighting Fugu without getting hit was a NIGHTMARE). However, I don't know if I can really call it an accomplishment because I just used Dixie the entire time, AKA Hax Mode.

The game is definitely a classic, though. In my (possibly controversial) opinion, Tropical Freeze is the best game in the series since DKC2, even with the lack of K. Rool.
YES. Those two were tough. Fugu took me forever as well. Water screws with your controls so much because it forces you to take time to turn around. The one level I thought would be hard - Irate Eight - actually was a one-hit wonder, surprising enough. I don't know how I pulled that off.

I do have to say that the K Levels weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. 7-2 and 7-3 weren't nearly as bad in hard mode either. Dixie does make some levels more difficult though - like 2-K. The hover will screw with your timing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm playing through TF now and I'm really enjoying it. I was actually originally doing a solo Diddy run (as in play 2 player but just let DK die) but I figured I should play the game normally first so I get the experience of using multiple Kongs. Apparently Diddy is made obsolete by Dixie, but so far I've preferred using Diddy. I just like the jetpack mechanic more.

As someone who didn't play the DKC games as a kid, and consequently doesn't have nostalgia bias, I definitely think this game is up there with the original trilogy. Personally I think DKC2 is slightly overrated. It's an amazing game, just like 1 and 3, but I don't think it's better than the other two (people seem to raise it on a pedestal). I think it has the best atmosphere (best soundstrack and visuals) and the most fun Kong duo (speed plus ponytail twirl). But I also think it has the worst platforming of the 3, because I find it to be the least fluid and the most restricting at times.

"Flame shield activated"

Last edited:

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
I'm playing through TF now and I'm really enjoying it. I was actually originally doing a solo Diddy run (as in play 2 player but just let DK die) but I figured I should play the game normally first so I get the experience of using multiple Kongs. Apparently Diddy is made obsolete by Dixie, but so far I've preferred using Diddy. I just like the jetpack mechanic more.

As someone who didn't play the DKC games as a kid, and consequently doesn't have nostalgia bias, I definitely think this game is up there with the original trilogy. Personally I think DKC2 is slightly overrated. It's an amazing game, just like 1 and 3, but I don't think it's better than the other two (people seem to raise it on a pedestal). I think it has the best atmosphere (best soundstrack and visuals) and the most fun Kong duo (speed plus ponytail twirl). But I also think it has the worst platforming of the 3, because I find it to be the least fluid and the most restricting at times.

"Flame shield activated"
I liked donkeu kong jr

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

"Flame shield activated"
I think the reason everyone loves 2 the best is because of how it expanded on the awesomeness of 1. Take animal buddies for example: in 1 they were just useful for finding secret areas and getting through the levels easier, but in 2, there were levels designed around the abilities of the animal buddies and there were some levels where you only play as an animal buddy without a kong on top. I don't think 3 really introduced anything new to the series. I do think Tropical Freeze is up there with the originals and this is coming from someone who played the originals as a kid. I will say though, that Tropical Freeze just doesn't have the same feel as the originals but that in no way makes it bad. I guess I can understand how 2 feels restricting at times but I don't see how that makes it worse, I think it just switches things up and gives you new ways to get through a level.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I haven't touched Tropical Freeze yet, but from watching playthroughs, it looks easily better than Returns in virtually every way. As far as ranking it compared to the other DKCs, I can't help but consider the games for how impressive they were for their time, since, if you just placed them on completely equal footing, obviously the modern games are going to pull ahead thanks to modern hardware. With that in mind, I'd probably still put DKC2 as the definitive best game, followed by Tropical Freeze and DKC3, with Returns and the original being interchangeable for fourth and fifth.

Last edited:

Briokinho

Smash Cadet
I 200% TF earlier this year and it is the best game i played this gen so far, and it rivals the masterpiece that is the first trilogy. Genius level design and soundtrack. I really wish it lasted longer though, finished it in two weeks. Or that we got a new game in this generation still....

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I've yet to play Tropical Freeze, as I don't have a Wii U yet. Been enjoying the soundtrack immensely though.

Come to think of it, even before I knew DKC existed, David Wise's music played a big part in my childhood. One of my favorite games growing up featured a soundtrack composed by him, and now that I've experienced much more of his work, I can definitely hear his style.

Last edited:

Briokinho

Smash Cadet
I wanted it so bad... But I still have to complete dkcr which I got recently. Man, being in this thread makes me realize how much the dk series misses the kremlings.
Sorry, no crocodiles in this game *laughs*.
We will leave our own mark in the franchise.... by ripping off the old villain.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I want someone to texture hack the final boss, and make him ViKING K Rool
The one-two punch of Smash giving the world a new K. Rool model and also encouraging modders to hack the Wii U all but guarantees it'll happen eventually.

Until then, this will have to suffice.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think the reason everyone loves 2 the best is because of how it expanded on the awesomeness of 1. Take animal buddies for example: in 1 they were just useful for finding secret areas and getting through the levels easier, but in 2, there were levels designed around the abilities of the animal buddies and there were some levels where you only play as an animal buddy without a kong on top. I don't think 3 really introduced anything new to the series. I do think Tropical Freeze is up there with the originals and this is coming from someone who played the originals as a kid. I will say though, that Tropical Freeze just doesn't have the same feel as the originals but that in no way makes it bad. I guess I can understand how 2 feels restricting at times but I don't see how that makes it worse, I think it just switches things up and gives you new ways to get through a level.
The only real issues I have with 2 are the save system, the restrictive nature of the platforming, and the bonus levels, which I found to be boring and almost like a chore. I found the bonus levels in 1 and Returns/TF a lot more fun. I think 2 improved on everything in 1 except te platforiming. The platforming was much more fluid in 1, because it was pretty much all horizontal progression where your movement was not heavily restricted. 2's platforming was very stop-start for me. Generally that's considered a negative in platforming, akin to having to small un-explorative overworld in an rpg.

3 did add some things such as collectables, the more expansive overworld and koin puzzles, but admittedly nothing huge. From what I understand the main crticisms of 3 were the poor music and visuals. They also committed the cardinal sequel sin, which was removing popular elements from 2 (eg. Rambi, the traditional enemies, Diddy etc.).

I think the reason why TF doesn't have the same feel as 2 is because 2's soundtrack is more ambient and melodramatic, and the visuals aren't as bright. This gives the game a slightly darker and more serious tone. If you look at the TF rehashes of classics such as Aquatic Ambience and Stickerbrush Symphony, they're much more upbeat. They're still amazing tracks but the fact that they're more upbeat means that they're less ambient and they don't resonate with us as much.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
The only real issues I have with 2 are the save system, the restrictive nature of the platforming, and the bonus levels, which I found to be boring and almost like a chore. I found the bonus levels in 1 and Returns/TF a lot more fun. I think 2 improved on everything in 1 except te platforiming. The platforming was much more fluid in 1, because it was pretty much all horizontal progression where your movement was not heavily restricted. 2's platforming was very stop-start for me. Generally that's considered a negative in platforming, akin to having to small un-explorative overworld in an rpg.

3 did add some things such as collectables, the more expansive overworld and koin puzzles, but admittedly nothing huge. From what I understand the main crticisms of 3 were the poor music and visuals. They also committed the cardinal sequel sin, which was removing popular elements from 2 (eg. Rambi, the traditional enemies, Diddy etc.).

I think the reason why TF doesn't have the same feel as 2 is because 2's soundtrack is more ambient and melodramatic, and the visuals aren't as bright. This gives the game a slightly darker and more serious tone. If you look at the TF rehashes of classics such as Aquatic Ambience and Stickerbrush Symphony, they're much more upbeat. They're still amazing tracks but the fact that they're more upbeat means that they're less ambient and they don't resonate with us as much.
As I said before, I think the fact that the platforming isn't just horizontal progression is a lot better. There's a lot more variety than just hopping on and off platforms trying not to fall. Don't really see how that's a negative.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
As I said before, I think the fact that the platforming isn't just horizontal progression is a lot better. There's a lot more variety than just hopping on and off platforms trying not to fall. Don't really see how that's a negative.
It's not just that. 3 has a lot of vertical platforming too but the platforming seems more fluid to me. I didn't like the honey gimmick in 2. The levels looked amazing and it was a cool idea to have levels dedicated to the zingers but I found the platforming in those levels to be really awkward and restrictive.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It's not just that. 3 has a lot of vertical platforming too but the platforming seems more fluid to me. I didn't like the honey gimmick in 2. The levels looked amazing and it was a cool idea to have levels dedicated to the zingers but I found the platforming in those levels to be really awkward and restrictive.
I don't understand how fluidity automatically translates to fun or good game design. I like the honey gimmick. Doesn't feel awkward or restrictive to me. It just feels like a fun, unique gimmick in certain levels, just like all the other gimmicks in DKC2. The ones in 3 weren't so great, especially near the end of the game. Ugh, the last world is awful with the gimmicks. The ghost barrels and kremlings with trash can lids gimmicks are awful.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Am I the only one here that got Tropical Freeze on first day of release?
Nope. I did too. Dixie's return was enough to make it a Day 1 purchase for me.

Also,
I haven't touched Tropical Freeze yet, but from watching playthroughs, it looks easily better than Returns in virtually every way. As far as ranking it compared to the other DKCs, I can't help but consider the games for how impressive they were for their time, since, if you just placed them on completely equal footing, obviously the modern games are going to pull ahead thanks to modern hardware. With that in mind, I'd probably still put DKC2 as the definitive best game, followed by Tropical Freeze and DKC3, with Returns and the original being interchangeable for fourth and fifth.
Exactly how I rank the series, though I put DK64 in third place. Even though it had a different atmosphere and style, I still liked DK64. I liked the diversity of the playable characters, and I was a huge fan of the Banjo-Kazooie games, so I felt right at home with the game being a collectathon. Not to mention, that game had easily the best characterization of K. Rool.

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I agree. Beating the game on Hard Mode was definitely an endeavor, especially the fights with Lord Frederik and Fugu (ugh, fighting Fugu without getting hit was a NIGHTMARE). However, I don't know if I can really call it an accomplishment because I just used Dixie the entire time, AKA Hax Mode.

The game is definitely a classic, though. In my (possibly controversial) opinion, Tropical Freeze is the best game in the series since DKC2, even with the lack of K. Rool.
Hmm. I would think Cranky was prominent in terms of not getting hit.

Also just joined this community recently. Thanks to the amount of K. Rool supporters. He will 'set sail' in an incoming trailer. :D

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I totally pasted the wrong video URL......

Don't ask why Jabba was watching veggie tales, some secrets are meant to be kept.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
:079:

Spectacular! You sing so well! Love the lyrics. Share it on Reddit and Twitter! This would be a great way to advertise K. Rool. :-)

JABBA SINGS: WHERE ARE YOU K ROOL?
@ BKupa666 BKupa666

Lyrics by: Jabba
Sung by: Jabba
Based on Faith Hill's Where Are You Christmas

Lyrics:

(Jabba noises)

Where are you K Rool
Why can't I find you
Why have you not been announced
Where is your laughter
Your kickass throne room
Why arent you a poic of the dayy

Our world is changing
Smashbords is raging
Does that mean the roster changes too?

Where are you K ROol
We need you now
I can't what any longer
I want the doctor
I want the pirate
I want that crystal coconut in hand now.

K Rool is here
Everywhere, oh
K Rool is here
If you care, oh

If there is croc in your heart and your mind
You will feel like K Rool all the time

Where are you K Rool
Why can't I find you
Why haven't you been announced?

I need more more stages
goddamn it sakurai
I need gangplank galleon now!

The earth is Turning
Sakurai is Burning
off the calories to get us K Rool
Now
Now
Now

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
:079:

Spectacular! You sing so well! Love the lyrics. Share it on Reddit and Twitter! This would be a great way to advertise K. Rool. :-)
I already put it on Twitter. If someone else would like to put it on Reddit, that would be fantastic as well.

You know, if we could, over time, put out a series of K. Rool-related song covers, that would really be a way to capture the hearts of even more fans than we already have. I'm already brainstorming trying to come up with some more possibilities.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Hmm. I would think Cranky was prominent in terms of not getting hit.

Also just joined this community recently. Thanks to the amount of K. Rool supporters. He will 'set sail' in an incoming trailer. :D
K. Rool Krushes the Kompetition! That will be the catchphrase; calling it now.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
JABBA SINGS: WHERE ARE YOU K ROOL?
@ BKupa666 BKupa666

Lyrics by: Jabba
Sung by: Jabba
Based on Faith Hill's Where Are You Christmas

Lyrics:

(Jabba noises)

Where are you K Rool
Why can't I find you
Why have you not been announced
Where is your laughter
Your kickass throne room
Why arent you a poic of the dayy

Our world is changing
Smashbords is raging
Does that mean the roster changes too?

The feels are so real right now. Well done

Where are you K ROol
We need you now
I can't what any longer
I want the doctor
I want the pirate
I want that crystal coconut in hand now.

K Rool is here
Everywhere, oh
K Rool is here
If you care, oh

If there is croc in your heart and your mind
You will feel like K Rool all the time

Where are you K Rool
Why can't I find you
Why haven't you been announced?

I need more more stages
goddamn it sakurai
I need gangplank galleon now!

The earth is Turning
Sakurai is Burning
off the calories to get us K Rool
Now
Now
Now
The feels are so real right now. Well done

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Interesting. I have to admit I always thought of 'Veggie Tales' as a Sunday School cartoon. And being Buddhist, not Christian, I've always viewed it... Uh... Less than amicably? Maybe I was wrong.
Yeah, it was mostly a Sunday School cartoon, but it was fun either way.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I already put it on Twitter. If someone else would like to put it on Reddit, that would be fantastic as well.

You know, if we could, over time, put out a series of K. Rool-related song covers, that would really be a way to capture the hearts of even more fans than we already have. I'm already brainstorming trying to come up with some more possibilities.
I have a few Billy Joel songs id like to reaffirm

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I remember something. Back in 2008 when Mario Super Sluggers was released, these tiny, blurry images were leaked.

When people saw K. Rool on the bottom right of the second image, the reception was extremely positive, with some even lamenting his exclusion from Brawl. If his inclusion into a Mario sports spinoff is met with praise, just imagine what'll happen for SSB4.

Top Bottom