• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The website link in the thread title was just me being opportunistic when all of those Japan Time people were flocking to this thread as guests.

I'm fully expecting Shulk on Monday just based on the complete lack of subtlety on the part of the Xenoblade developers, combined with the absurdity of them putting actual effort into faking people out over Twitter, where only a small number of online fans even follow those accounts. Of course, the more Gematsu newcomers revealed pre-release, the better the odds are of there being secret newcomers IMO.

People like to say "Oh, maybe there aren't going to be any secret newcomers this time because XYZ fighting games don't have any either." Using other fighting games as precedent for what could happen in Smash isn't the greatest of ideas IMO. . .remember when groups of people convinced themselves "Sonic and Snake are getting cut and there won't be any new third parties because that's how guest characters work in fighting games?" (Well, Snake might be out, sadly, but fingers crossed for DLC there, and point still stands).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The website link in the thread title was just me being opportunistic when all of those Japan Time people were flocking to this thread as guests.

I'm fully expecting Shulk on Monday just based on the complete lack of subtlety on the part of the Xenoblade developers, combined with the absurdity of them putting actual effort into faking people out over Twitter, where only a small number of online fans even follow those accounts. Of course, the more Gematsu newcomers revealed pre-release, the better the odds are of there being secret newcomers IMO.

People like to say "Oh, maybe there aren't going to be any secret newcomers this time because XYZ fighting games don't have any either." Using other fighting games as precedent for what could happen in Smash isn't the greatest of ideas IMO. . .remember when groups of people convinced themselves "Sonic and Snake are getting cut and there won't be any new third parties because that's how guest characters work in fighting games?" (Well, Snake might be out, sadly, but fingers crossed for DLC there, and point still stands).
'Eh, I suppose you're right. If the Gematsu newcomers are revealed before release, it only increases the odds of having more secret unlockables we don't know about. However, with all the Ridley teasing, I'm honestly of the belief that Ridley needs to be revealed pre-release as well. That said, August is a much better time to announce Ridley.

There's still the question of: why a 3-minute video just for Shulk?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe he'll explain how he plays after how confusing Palutena's trailer was about her playstyle. :p
And there's still the question: Why explain Shulk when he didn't explain anyone else? He'll eventually get to explaining them, there's no reason to explain any character reveals yet. That's the job for Pic of the Day's and Smash Directs.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I really, really don't think 'three minutes' has any bearing on who the reveal is, considering how much filler 'action' footage exists in many of the trailers.

Scratch that, I don't think it'll be Chorus Men, because like Wii Fit Trainer, I expect them to get a brief, minute-long gimmick trailer that emphasizes how "edgy and cool and unexpected" they supposedly are.

But for every non-shock candidate, there are reasons their trailer could be three minutes.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Palutena was around that range, as was Rosalina, so there is a precedence for Shulk getting a long video like that.
Palutena did showcase all the previous characters and added a few more clips than needed. Rosalina, on the other hand, yeah, I was surprised hers was that long. But I did just look up the videos.

All other trailers were barely over two minutes, though, and hell, not even the Greninja/Charizard trailer was 3 minutes.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think all the videos are close to three minutes, particularly if we consider the stream could easily involve a short intro from Sakurai.

And there's still the question: Why explain Shulk when he didn't explain anyone else? He'll eventually get to explaining them, there's no reason to explain any character reveals yet. That's the job for Pic of the Day's and Smash Directs.
New gimmick for new hype.

I guess I'll become a kutthoart as well. I support!
Allow me to be the one to say, wellome to the Krew! You are the first I've gotten to welkome!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The Xenoblade developer retweet situation has me confused; mostly because I have heard conflict as to whether it was the newcomer reveal retweeted or the Japanese direct retweeted, which someone mentioned might have involved X as it is 2nd/3rd party. Can anyone definitively clarify? I don't have a Twitter account.

Or beat up on all the unwanted newcomers as yourself.
What if our unwanted newcomers are ourselves? Is this a metaphor for fighting our inner demons? We need to go deeper...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Xenoblade developer retweet situation has me confused; mostly because I have heard conflict as to whether it was the newcomer reveal retweeted or the Japanese direct retweeted, which someone mentioned might have involved X as it is 2nd/3rd party. Can anyone definitively clarify? I don't have a Twitter account.
This isn't directly related to K. Rool really, but Xenoblade isn't 2nd/3rd party, it is first party, Nintendo fully owns Monolith Soft.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Of course I wasn't. I was merely saying that there's no way K. Rool's Finest Hour will be the music in his Smash Reveal. However, that's the music that SHOULD be in his Smash reveal, because it just fits too perfectly.
You do realize that I was joking with that video, right?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
This isn't directly related to K. Rool really, but Xenoblade isn't 2nd/3rd party, it is first party, Nintendo fully owns Monolith Soft.
Fair enough; the division between 1st and 2nd party is a bit fuzzy to me.

On to more relevant matters; just over 2 days until K. Rool (hopefully) Krashes the party! There are plenty of potential ways they could do a trailer with him; villains involving Ganondorf/Wario, a Mario/DK themed one involving Wario being the most obvious choices if a veteran is also revealed. Given that it is 3 minutes long, are most people expecting a veteran as well or not?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Fair enough; the division between 1st and 2nd party is a bit fuzzy to me.

On to more relevant matters; just over 2 days until K. Rool (hopefully) Krashes the party! There are plenty of potential ways they could do a trailer with him; villains involving Ganondorf/Wario, a Mario/DK themed one involving Wario being the most obvious choices if a veteran is also revealed. Given that it is 3 minutes long, are most people expecting a veteran as well or not?
Palutena's trailer was 3 minutes long. Sorry, if K. Rool is in (which I think is highly likely), I think he's unlockable. A Villain Trailer would be awesome, but if we got one, Ridley would be the newcomer revealed.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Palutena's trailer was 3 minutes long. Sorry, if K. Rool is in (which I think is highly likely), I think he's unlockable. A Villain Trailer would be awesome, but if we got one, Ridley would be the newcomer revealed.
I said hopefully, rest assured the hope is being kept in check! It was more speculation as to how, if at all, K. Rool would show up. I would disagree on Ridley being the more likely newcomer revealed though; I have nothing against him but I just don't personally see him being playable (This is not attempting to steer the thread in a Ridley discussion though, and whilst I have read the arguments for him if you feel you have a compelling one then feel free to send it to me outside of the thread).

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
chrom is going to be a secret newcomer as fire emblem has always had a locked character, and the chorus kids are this games rob.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

What if our unwanted newcomers are ourselves? Is this a metaphor for fighting our inner demons? We need to go deeper...
Good point lol.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Kount me in, too. I'm all in for K. Rool's inklusion.
New Blood may turn this board around! I like the term someone in Ridley's room gave it, eeyore syndrome.

Cmon guys, I'm more hyped for K Rool than ever before! It certainly is getting contagious though.
Let's get some art up in here! Back from page 178, though I found it in google, here we go:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Just updated the OP with all the new Kutthroats and artwork from the past 20 or so pages before I leave for the next week. People who have been asking several times to be on, like @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee and @DingoPlatinum, feast your eyes. We've now passed the 400 marker, which is certainly a cause for celebration as well.
Thanks, sorry if I was annoying about it...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The thing about that retweet is that it wasn't from the same Monolithsoft reps that have retweeted random Nintendo directs in the past, it is from the writer who created Shulk. He has only retweeted Nintendo tweets 3 other times- for the Xenoblade Chronicles X reveal, it's game play trailer, and the E3 trailer.

I don't think it 100% means the new comer is Shulk, but that's why it stands out.

(Pulling for Shulk but would be 100% ok with K. Rool by the way, been on this support list a long time, lol.)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I REALLY wanted to do this.
[collapse=Quite Long]Welcome to SSF2's Gangplank Galleon! I feel like this would be a great base for King K. Rool's home stage in SSB4, so I feel like going over it.

You start out sailing past DK Isle, and further head onto the DKCR Era, 3 Pirate Crabs included.

Every now and again, Kremlings will sail over and blast a Cannonball onto the ship, which does damage to whoever it lands on.

But the Cannonball still stays, so what do you do with it?

Why, you hit it ala Pac-Man's fire hydrant into other people to do damage while it still lingers around.[/collapse]
In other news, I'm excited for Monday.
10 AM, EST.
The hype is real.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I REALLY wanted to do this.
[collapse=Quite Long]Welcome to SSF2's Gangplank Galleon! I feel like this would be a great base for King K. Rool's home stage in SSB4, so I feel like going over it.

You start out sailing past DK Isle, and further head onto the DKCR Era, 3 Pirate Crabs included.

Every now and again, Kremlings will sail over and blast a Cannonball onto the ship, which does damage to whoever it lands on.

But the Cannonball still stays, so what do you do with it?

Why, you hit it ala Pac-Man's fire hydrant into other people to do damage while it still lingers around.[/collapse]
In other news, I'm excited for Monday.
10 AM, EST.
The hype is real.
This is how I would prefer Gangplank Galleon, particularly it's size. BKupa should probably remove the idea of it being the next huge stage of the game, since Palutena's Temple fills that niche.

About the stage hazards, I'd prefer them to be as non-intrusive as possible, like Krow throwing some eggs on-stage.
Speaking of which, I wonder what an FD version of Gangplank Galleon would look like.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This is how I would prefer Gangplank Galleon, particularly it's size. BKupa should probably remove the idea of it being the next huge stage of the game, since Palutena's Temple fills that niche.

About the stage hazards, I'd prefer them to be as non-intrusive as possible, like Krow throwing some eggs on-stage.
Speaking of which, I wonder what an FD version of Gangplank Galleon would look like.
Probably a half circle boat with a flagpole in the middle of the background :awesome:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Eh, it was only ever a concept anyhow, I think it can stay the way it is.

I'm guessing the FD version would just be an overlarge Krow's Nest or a long plank of rigging.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
One of my FB friends has also stepped up with a report of seeing Chunky as an AT and Cranky as a basic trophy.

Top Bottom