• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
(Sorry for Double-Post, but we need more acitivity here. Seriously, 7 Viewers and NO ACTIVITY? 'Cmon, Guys!)
(HI.)>:4pacman:
Not only was Pac-Man only revealed through an AMERICAN ONLY E3 ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION, but everyone else found out about it (especially poor Japan) through a simple Pic of the Day on MIIVERSE.
I think Japan should have a turn at such a thing.
Of course, E3 is the biggest gaming event worldwide on a yearly basis, so there's precedence for revealing several characters. Its different compared to a small time event like this which is just for Japanese players to have a shot at playing the game. Likelihood is, we're not getting any new announcements at this event, the only thing it helps us to do is see if we can confirm more AT's and we get some more footage. That's really all we should anticipate and expect.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wait, what is that?
...IS THAT AN APE DRESSED UP LIKE HUNKY CHUNKY!?
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT...
...Ever heard of a Bigfoot?
That's a bigfoot.
This exchange reminds me of the part in Dodgeball, where they're missing Steve the Pirate:

One Guy: "Who's Steve the Pirate?"
Everyone Else: "The only guy on our team that dresses like a pirate."
One Guy: "Wait, there's a guy on our team who dresses like a pirate?"

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
The only reason why I think we might get a reveal is because we are nearing release, and things as ramping up, and this is one of the few events left until release, however there are only 3 real possibilities, either a japan popular request, or one that is popular there and everywhere, which narrows it down to Shulk, Takamaru(most likely), or K.rool

I think Takamaru is most likely since it'll make the biggest impact there because his original game only came west for the first time a couple months ago

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Damn, I forgot where the DK Coin is in Lava Lagoon and Cranky is useless. And no, please don't tell me, I'm trying to find everything on my own for once. I ALMOST made it through DKC 101% with everything on my own, but then I realized that in one level they hid a bonus stage inside a bonus stage, and in another level I found three hidden bonus stages in the same "bottomless pit." Tricky, tricky Rare. Ugh. :p

The only reason why I think we might get a reveal is because we are nearing release, and things as ramping up, and this is one of the few events left until release, however there are only 3 real possibilities, either a japan popular request, or one that is popular there and everywhere, which narrows it down to Shulk, Takamaru(most likely), or K.rool

I think Takamaru is most likely since it'll make the biggest impact there because his original game only came west for the first time a couple months ago
I think it'd be Shulk if anyone. Takamaru is a more popular pick in the west and K. Rool would be a good post-release character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Damn, I forgot where the DK Coin is in Lava Lagoon and Cranky is useless. And no, please don't tell me, I'm trying to find everything on my own for once. I ALMOST made it through DKC 101% with everything on my own, but then I realized that in one level they hid a bonus stage inside a bonus stage, and in another level I found three hidden bonus stages in the same "bottomless pit." Tricky, tricky Rare. Ugh. :p
If I remember correctly, there's a hidden wall near the end of the level that you can pass through to find an Invincibility Barrel and a trail of bananas that will lead you through the lava to the Coin.

Groose

Smash Champion
BEEEE PREEEPAAAAAAAAARRED!

Ah. Ahem. Sorry, but I couldn't help it--that thread title is just too powerful for me not to sing along. Good choice, BKupa (or whoever suggested it).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If I remember correctly, there's a hidden wall near the end of the level that you can pass through to find an Invincibility Barrel and a trail of bananas that will lead you through the lava to the Coin.
YES, I found it (Didn't check your spoiler until after I found it.)

I picked up the G and when I did I noticed the Invisibility Barrel to the right. I lost Diddy in the process because the lava comes back very quickly after hitting Clapper that last time, but I still got it. I thought it was the first invisibility barrel, I forgot there was a second one.

Groose

Smash Champion

Well, there goes my Wii U Savings Fund. Seriously, why didn't anyone mention that they have the entire DK cartoon series on iTunes? I've been trying to track down some of the episodes for ages, and it's always nice to have a digital copy of the ones I only have on physical media. How long have those been on the market for?​

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Well, there goes my Wii U Savings Fund. Seriously, why didn't anyone mention that they have the entire DK cartoon series on iTunes? I've been trying to track down some of the episodes for ages, and it's always nice to have a digital copy of the ones I only have on physical media. How long have those been on the market for?​
7 YEARS :079:

Groose

Smash Champion
I'd use the dumbfounded K. Rool gif here if I hadn't just used it two posts up. You're telling me that the cartoon has been on iTunes for a whole seven years, and I never once noticed?

...I feel like Krusha right now. In other words, this really isn't one of my brighter moments seven years.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I did, but figured that the novelty of declaring how K. Rool is OMG SO MUHRELEVANT due to yet another rerelease of the cartoon in which he's literally the second most prominent character behind DK himself had worn off a bit by now.

I'm content watching them on YouTube (and already downloaded a bunch of Season One while making the Be Prepared video), but for someone like you who watched them as a kid, this must be so thrilling.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'd use the dumbfounded K. Rool gif here if I hadn't just used it two posts up. You're telling me that the cartoon has been on iTunes for a whole seven years, and I never once noticed?

...I feel like Krusha right now. In other words, this really isn't one of my brighter moments seven years.
Clearly your pompadour isn't upright enough today

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I think it'd be Shulk if anyone. Takamaru is a more popular pick in the west and K. Rool would be a good post-release character.
Really? I thought Takamaru was a major request in Japan, I mean other than the nintendo land minigame and the mode in samurai warriors 3, he's had almost nothing here, but generaly the few times I've seen stuff from the japanese sites hes mentioned there, and the game is pretty popular over there with multiple rereleases

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Really? I thought Takamaru was a major request in Japan, I mean other than the nintendo land minigame and the mode in samurai warriors 3, he's had almost nothing here, but generaly the few times I've seen stuff from the japanese sites hes mentioned there, and the game is pretty popular over there with multiple rereleases
Based on what I've heard, no, he's not. He might be requested fairly often, he's far more requested in the west than in Japan.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice

I know man, I was super thrilled when I found out about this through this thread. My wallet has been violently pulverized because of this show. Now I have the entire digital series on Amazon Instant Video (which is twice as expensive than on iTunes), a complete collection of figures from the show, an additional K.Rool figure (because WHYYY NOOOOOT?!), and all of the new DVDs.

Ramen noodle meals in the dark and McDonalds dates I can cope with.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but I'm pretty content with watching it on Youtube.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So with this Sal guy hinting at DLC the most damning information we can receive for our *igga K. Rool is that he has been made an assist trophy.

Being a Stage Hazard can be somewhat damning, but the team could always pull an "Alfonzo." Though I'm not sure if they would want to allocate resources, models and coding for replacement boss hazards for every character that originally was one.

I think all we can do is just keep on supporting K. Rool, so that Sakurai and Co. see that he is a wanted character like Mewtwo.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I got some proof that they're might be a announced character today or tomorrow

From gonintendo.com and its a article about the event today and tomorrow i believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

From gonintendo.com and its a article about the event today and tomorrow i believe.
Honestly, i doubt that would be in King K Rool's favor. I feel like we'll get Chrom, Shulk, or a vet if there's a reveal at that event.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just realized something that makes me even more excited for K. Rool.
Sakurai used the classic design for Pac-Man, despite him having a modern redesign.
He even went through the effort of giving Mega Man a whole new design, heavily based in his classic sprite.

Hopefully this means he will use K. Rool's Rare design.

I really want to see Sakurai's interpretation of Rare's K. Rool.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I just realized something that makes me even more excited for K. Rool.
Sakurai used the classic design for Pac-Man, despite him having a modern redesign.
He even went through the effort of giving Mega Man a whole new design, heavily based in his classic sprite.

Hopefully this means he will use K. Rool's Rare design.

I really want to see Sakurai's interpretation of Rare's K. Rool.
I think he used their most iconic/relevant designs. I'm disappointed that Sonic doesn't use his fatter/shorter genesis design.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Hey it could be worse, Sakurai could've used the Sonic Boom design. :troll:
LOL true.

I've never liked Sonic's sleeker design. I much prefer him as a cute, chubby hedgehog! But his Sonic Boom desing is something else...

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Most likely a veteran, I don't think a newcomer would be announced this close to E3. Could be Wario, Mr. G&W, Cap'n, Ness, Falco, Ganon, Meta Knight... There are still plenty of veterans that can make it in.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Based on what I've read, all it says is "Who will be announced next?" In other words, its a promo for the event itself, no where does it hint at a new character announcement.

So with this Sal guy hinting at DLC the most damning information we can receive for our *igga K. Rool is that he has been made an assist trophy.

Being a Stage Hazard can be somewhat damning, but the team could always pull an "Alfonzo." Though I'm not sure if they would want to allocate resources, models and coding for replacement boss hazards for every character that originally was one.

I think all we can do is just keep on supporting K. Rool, so that Sakurai and Co. see that he is a wanted character like Mewtwo.
No, not really. The problem with K. Rool is he's too big complicated to fully design post-release. The ONLY way DLC helps K. Rool is if he was planned before release but didn't make it into the final game. If anything K. Rool will be in the final game, though, with Dixie Kong coming later as DLC (since she has almost the same model as Diddy Kong just with small adjustments; the moveset for her can still be unique, but her build being so close to Diddy makes her very easy to design).

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Based on what I've read, all it says is "Who will be announced next?" In other words, its a promo for the event itself, no where does it hint at a new character announcement.
It's actually a flier given out with all pre-orders, according to Venus of the Desert Bloom. Nothing to do with the event.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's actually a flier given out with all pre-orders, according to Venus of the Desert Bloom. Nothing to do with the event.
Well, thanks for the clarification. It still doesn't hint at any sort of character reveal either way. :p

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
At least it basically says there's more characters to come, as if that wasn't obvious already.
That doesn't confirm nor deconfirm a potential vet reveal this weekend. I wouldn't bank on it given how E3 was so recent, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
No, not really. The problem with K. Rool is he's too big complicated to fully design post-release.
I am not sure if you are being serious... If you are, I would have to ask you: What makes King K. Rool "too complicated" to fully design post-release? Where are you getting this information from? Are you aware that there are games that have added characters through DLC that play very different from characters in the existing cast? MK9 and Injustice: GOD's Among Us immediately come to mind. And who is to say King K. Rool hasn't been planned?
The ONLY way DLC helps K. Rool is if he was planned before release but didn't make it into the final game.
"The ONLY way?" That is not true at all. Once a system in a game's code has been implemented to allow DLC, there are no restrictions...with in reason of a game's space and system's specs of course.
If anything K. Rool will be in the final game, though, with Dixie Kong coming later as DLC (since she has almost the same model as Diddy Kong just with small adjustments; the moveset for her can still be unique, but her build being so close to Diddy makes her very easy to design).
While reusing assets can lessen the work load for DLC, it isn't the end all be all method. Again, once developers have coded in a system for game to receive DLC pre-release of a game, there no limitations. If you are going to reply back saying otherwise i think it's best that you read through this article very informative:
https://gamedonia.com/blog/what-does-dlc-mean-your-games

P.S What we are discussing isn't the point or what I was getting at in my initial comment.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am not sure if you are being serious... If you are, I would have to ask you: What makes King K. Rool "too complicated" to fully design post-release? Where are you getting this information from? Are you aware that there are games that have added characters through DLC that play very different from characters in the existing cast? MK9 and Injustice: GOD's Among Us immediately come to mind. And who is to say King K. Rool hasn't been planned?

"The ONLY way?" That is not true at all. Once a system in a game's code has been implemented to allow DLC, there are no restrictions...with in reason of a game's space and system's specs of course.

While reusing assets can lessen the work load for DLC, it isn't the end all be all method. Again, once developers have coded in a system for game to receive DLC pre-release of a game, there no limitations. If you are going to reply back saying otherwise i think it's best that you read through this article very informative:
https://gamedonia.com/blog/what-does-dlc-mean-your-games

P.S What we are discussing isn't the point or what I was getting at in my initial comment.
Ok, fine, yes, its personal speculation, but I don't think they'll want to go through the effort of creating complicated characters post-release after the development team has been split apart and sent back to their original departments. King K. Rool would be a far more complicated character because of his highly original design and incredibly unique moveset assuming they draw upon all of his boss appearances. Sakurai chose to create six clones in Melee instead of one fully original character (King Dedede) for that exact same reason.

I don't THINK King K. Rool would be added as DLC because of the complications involving his design. Instead, he's better suited for being available in-game anyway. Dixie Kong is a much more viable DLC alternative since she'd be far easier to design post-release.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Good luck with that. When I was a kid, I had a problem with finding the bonus levels in Web Woods. It plagued me off-and-on for about a decade before I swallowed my pride and finally decided to look at a walkthrough. I fully understand where you are coming from with Rare's tricky secrets. Today, I know DKC2 like the back of my hand and I can 102% it in a few hours, but back then, fully completing the game was one of the biggest challenges in my childhood.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Good luck with that. When I was a kid, I had a problem with finding the bonus levels in Web Woods. It plagued me off-and-on for about a decade before I swallowed my pride and finally decided to looked at a walkthrough. I fully understand where you are coming from with Rare's tricky secrets. Today, I know DKC2 like the back of my hand and I can 102% it in a few hours, but back then, fully completing the game was one of the biggest challenges in my childhood.
I never fully completed the game as a kid. I beat all three games, but I don't think I fully completed them... Well, MAYBE I fully completed DKC2 and DKC3, but only with help. DKC1, though, I never fully completed until last week. No, seriously. I even recently played DKC1-3 again a few months ago, and now I'm replaying them once again. I'd have moved onto Returns and Tropical Freeze, maybe even DK64, but unfortunately I don't have a Wii/Wii U and I don't have an N64, either.

My parents had a Wii (well, I split the cost with my mom and let her keep it when I moved out) and I bought Returns when I was staying with them. They also had N64 with DK64, but I don't have either. Haven't gotten a Wii U, yet, either, but once I do Tropical Freeze will be one of the first games I get.

In regards to completion, I never completed DKC1 as a kid 101% (I did beat the boss). I MIGHT have completed DKC2-3 102-103%, but I don't remember. I recently beat DKC2-3 102%-103% a few months ago, and I did DKC1 last week (with help from a guide). For DK64, funny thing... I FULLY beat the game... except I could NEVER get the finishing blow on K. Rool. I got everything in the game, I just couldn't beat K. Rool. My final hit never registered properly and Chunky always died. I beat Returns fully as well (with all collectables), though I didn't fully complete Mirror Mode.

Never got any of the Bongo games nor ever cared (Konga 1-3, Jungle Beat, Barrel Blast). The only one that somewhat interested me was Barrel Blast.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Funny you all should talk about DLC. . .look what I've been cooking up over the past few days. I am planning on spreading this around between as many other websites as possible, hoping to develop a significant following that could actually make a difference. What better place to start than K. Rool's very own biggest fan thread?

http://kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com

We're almost certainly getting DLC (Sakurai "not ruling it out," Gematsu leaking that it's being planned), so even though we're not sure of K. Rool's final fate yet, it's absolutely a great idea to start pushing him for DLC right now, while things are still calm and before the "GOKU, SHREK, NARUTO FOR DLC" requests reach fever pitch post-release. We'd be foolish not to, considering this is our big chance to actually be noticed in a time frame when Nintendo is actively listening to fan comments about the game due to events like E3 and the Best Buy showcases.

Anyhow, this is where I invite all of you onboard and hope that you'll help out in any way you can. Starting around Monday and continuing whenever there are slow periods in this thread, I'm going to start reaching out to Nintendo and Namco representatives in small ways detailed on the site, like on Twitter or by email. This is where everyone can take literally a single minute to chip in and potentially accomplish something big as a group (although more than a minute per member could accomplish something even more quickly).

Another thing, I've included a tab for 'Supporter Comments,' so, if you'd like to share, say, a background story about why you love K. Rool, why you support him for Smash, why you think he'd be a smart choice for DLC, etc., you can leave it in the site's comments. I'll upload it onto a post there so we can develop a Comment Wall of sorts, all as a testament to how much people really enjoy the character.

I hope you all will join me in continuing to support our favorite Kremling King beyond this thread as part of this Kampaign.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Funny you all should talk about DLC. . .look what I've been cooking up over the past few days. I am planning on spreading this around between as many other websites as possible, hoping to develop a significant following that could actually make a difference. What better place to start than K. Rool's very own biggest fan thread?

http://kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com

We're almost certainly getting DLC (Sakurai "not ruling it out," Gematsu leaking that it's being planned), so even though we're not sure of K. Rool's final fate yet, it's absolutely a great idea to start pushing him for DLC right now, while things are still calm and before the "GOKU, SHREK, NARUTO FOR DLC" requests reach fever pitch post-release. We'd be foolish not to, considering this is our big chance to actually be noticed in a time frame when Nintendo is actively listening to fan comments about the game due to events like E3 and the Best Buy showcases.

Anyhow, this is where I invite all of you onboard and hope that you'll help out in any way you can. Starting around Monday and continuing whenever there are slow periods in this thread, I'm going to start reaching out to Nintendo and Namco representatives in small ways detailed on the site, like on Twitter or by email. This is where everyone can take literally a single minute to chip in and potentially accomplish something big as a group (although more than a minute per member could accomplish something even more quickly).

Another thing, I've included a tab for 'Supporter Comments,' so, if you'd like to share, say, a background story about why you love K. Rool, why you support him for Smash, why you think he'd be a smart choice for DLC, etc., you can leave it in the site's comments. I'll upload it onto a post there so we can develop a Comment Wall of sorts, all as a testament to how much people really enjoy the character.

I hope you all will join me in continuing to support our favorite Kremling King beyond this thread as part of this Kampaign.
I'm about to finish up revamping my Gaming blog website (which has been on hiatus for a couple years :p) I could probably make a better design and give a decent home to the page, but I guess Wordpress.com is ok, too.

I still don't think K. Rool is that easy to create as DLC, but we can petition for K. Rool to be added as DLC if we wish. I definitely think K. Rool (and Dixie Kong) deserve it, although both (K. Rool first) deserves to be in the game by default, and I still think he may very well be in it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Ok, fine, yes, its personal speculation, but I don't think they'll want to go through the effort of creating complicated characters post-release after the development team has been split apart and sent back to their original departments.
What is so complicated about King K. Rool? I highly doubt he would harder to develop than character like Rosalina and Luma, Mega Man or Ice Climbers. Also, keep in mind there is a team working on a smash game that is to be released in 2015. Most people assume it will be an arcade version of the game.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/
So there will be a portion of the team largely intact to develop an supposed arcade version as well as help with DLC content.
King K. Rool would be a far more complicated character because of his highly original design and incredibly unique moveset assuming they draw upon all of his boss appearances.
What makes King K. Rool's design and moveset more complicated than any other downloadable character candidates?
Sakurai chose to create six clones in Melee instead of one fully original character (King Dedede) for that exact same reason.
You are comparing Super Smash Bros. Melee, a game that was rushed for the GameCube's launch line-up (11 months) to Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS's DLC, a game that not only has had more than 11 months to work on the game (About 2 years) and a bigger team working on the game, but also it's DLC. DLC isn't pressured as hard for released as say the retail copy of the game. Two vastly different scenarios here.
I don't THINK King K. Rool would be added as DLC because of the complications involving his design. Instead, he's better suited for being available in-game anyway. Dixie Kong is a much more viable DLC alternative since she'd be far easier to design post-release
You really have to answer what is leading you to believe that King K. Rool has complications in his design, because I'm not seeing how he can be potentially harder to develop than Mega Man or Rosalina. I do agree that Dixie would be easier to produce as DLC, why does it have to be either or?

Last edited:
Top Bottom