• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I recognize that K. Rool might not be the easiest character in the world to make into DLC, but I address this on the site; he's got enough options to the point where he could be designed with as much simplicity or complexity as developers have time to give him, still staying interesting no matter what.

I also think it's a good idea to campaign for a character who who isn't an outright clone; if we put out that our expectations are for quality newcomers right out of the gate, there's a chance that's what we might get instead.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What is so complicated about King K. Rool? I highly doubt he would harder to develop than character like Rosalina and Luma, Mega Man or Ice Climbers. Also, keep in mind there is a team working on a smash game that is to be released in 2015. Most people assume it will be an arcade version of the game.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/
So there will be a portion of the team largely intact to develop an supposed arcade version as well as help with DLC content.

What makes King K. Rool's design and moveset more complicated than any other downloadable character candidates?
You are comparing Super Smash Bros. Melee, a game that was rushed for the GameCube's launch line-up (11 months) to Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS's DLC, a game that not only has had more than 11 months to work on the game (About 2 years) and a bigger team working on the game, but also it's DLC. DLC isn't pressured as hard for released as say the retail copy of the game. Two vastly different scenarios here.
You really have to answer what is leading you to believe that King K. Rool has complications in his design, because I'm not seeing how he can be potentially harder to develop than Mega Man or Rosalina. I do agree that Dixie would be easier to produce as DLC, why does it have to be either or?
Dude, what are you talking about? I've NEVER said K. Rool would be harder to produce than Mega Man, Rosalina, Ice Climbers, etc. My whole point is, though, that K. Rool is about as difficult to develop as them, which is WHY he'd be hard to handle as DLC. A fully original character like that would be too complicated to develop post-release unless they already started working on that character. In theory, anyway, I don't know for sure obviously. Dixie Kong or a cut veteran is far easier because they already have the assets for those characters, or in the case of Dixie Kong, her model is almost identical to Diddy's.

Could K. Rool be added post-release? Possibly, but I don't think they would add him if they didn't already start working on him before release. I'd definitely support his inclusion post-release, though, assuming he wasn't already in the game.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Funny you all should talk about DLC. . .look what I've been cooking up over the past few days. I am planning on spreading this around between as many other websites as possible, hoping to develop a significant following that could actually make a difference. What better place to start than K. Rool's very own biggest fan thread?

http://kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com

We're almost certainly getting DLC (Sakurai "not ruling it out," Gematsu leaking that it's being planned), so even though we're not sure of K. Rool's final fate yet, it's absolutely a great idea to start pushing him for DLC right now, while things are still calm and before the "GOKU, SHREK, NARUTO FOR DLC" requests reach fever pitch post-release. We'd be foolish not to, considering this is our big chance to actually be noticed in a time frame when Nintendo is actively listening to fan comments about the game due to events like E3 and the Best Buy showcases.

Anyhow, this is where I invite all of you onboard and hope that you'll help out in any way you can. Starting around Monday and continuing whenever there are slow periods in this thread, I'm going to start reaching out to Nintendo and Namco representatives in small ways detailed on the site, like on Twitter or by email. This is where everyone can take literally a single minute to chip in and potentially accomplish something big as a group (although more than a minute per member could accomplish something even more quickly).

Another thing, I've included a tab for 'Supporter Comments,' so, if you'd like to share, say, a background story about why you love K. Rool, why you support him for Smash, why you think he'd be a smart choice for DLC, etc., you can leave it in the site's comments. I'll upload it onto a post there so we can develop a Comment Wall of sorts, all as a testament to how much people really enjoy the character.

I hope you all will join me in continuing to support our favorite Kremling King beyond this thread as part of this Kampaign.
I posted. I hope it helps.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Dude, what are you talking about? I've NEVER said K. Rool would be harder to produce than Mega Man, Rosalina, Ice Climbers, etc...
??? I never said you said that King K. Rool was harder to make than Rosalina, Mega Man or Ice Climbers. I said, I myself just don't see how King K. Rool would be all that complicated. I view Rosalina, Mega Man and Ice Climbers as far more complicated characters than King K. Rool. I never said you said that anywhere in my reply...
My whole point is, though, that K. Rool is about as difficult to develop as them, which is WHY he'd be hard to handle as DLC. A fully original character like that would be too complicated to develop post-release unless they already started working on that character. In theory, anyway, I don't know for sure obviously. Dixie Kong or a cut veteran is far easier because they already have the assets for those characters, or in the case of Dixie Kong, her model is almost identical to Diddy's.
Well we are both assuming at this point when we say King K. Rool will or will not be as complicated as said characters, seeing as we don't know his, if planned, moveset. I get the feeling that you think that the only characters that will be viable as DL candidates are clones and semi clones. Just becasue a character is totally original doesn't mean they are instantly complicated. Look at
Skarlet and Freddy Krueger from MK9 as examples. I mean what about other characters like Mewtwo and the like? The team would have to make new models, rigs and assets for said characters as there aren't characters that play like them too.
Could K. Rool be added post-release? Possibly, but I don't think they would add him if they didn't already start working on him before release. I'd definitely support his inclusion post-release, though, assuming he wasn't already in the game.
Again even if they didn't plan King K. Rool pre-release it wouldn't be a limitation. But it is likely that they are mapping out character to add as DLC as that Sal dude did say that DLC characters are in the work 3 months out before the 3DS's release

You still haven't explained to me specifically what makes King K. Rool so hard to make. I doubt he'll be a puppet fighter, and I doubt his moveset will involve 2 fighters like the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If neither K. Rool or Dixie are in the game, I'll post a video on Youtube complaining lol

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I miss the Lion King reference in the Title already.

And.....I never did get to work on that moveset I wanted to think of for K. Rool.... I'll fix that this week, or at least the special moves, for now.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The idea of clone design was that it is easier to design their moves, not their actual physical (digital) bodies, which is insanely easy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DLC K Rool

Nah, he's the main event.

Palutena can be pushed back to DLC and have K Rool instead

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The idea of clone design was that it is easier to design their moves, not their actual physical (digital) bodies, which is insanely easy.
Jigglypuff was chosen over Meowth and Mewtwo in 64 because she was far easier to create since they already had Kirby. Many of Dixie's animations would be similar to Diddy's, as well, just with some changes in how they work. Namely, most of her attacks would trade tail attacks and punches for her swinging her hair around. That would make her far easier to create as a whole.

K. Rool, on the other hand, would mostlikely consist of combinations of his attacks from his various boss battles, and his bulk would probably be bigger than Bowser (ever so slightly). Designing his moveset would be far more complicated, although admittedly, it might not be as complicated as Rosalina.

Either way I think K. Rool is more likely to be in the main game than as DLC, but hey, I'm willing to support K. Rool for DLC if there's any chance of it. I just don't find it all too likely that K. Rool would be considered for DLC if he wasn't already started anyway.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So, quick question to all DK and K Rool fans...

I'm buying a GameCube, and at the store they also have Jungle Beat and the DK Bongos at $6 a piece. Do I get them?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, quick question to all DK and K Rool fans...

I'm buying a GameCube, and at the store they also have Jungle Beat and the DK Bongos at $6 a piece. Do I get them?
$6 a piece isn't bad, but I haven't played Jungle Beat so I wouldn't know. Its not a traditional DK platformer and doesn't interest me that much. The whole Bongo concept in general annoyed me.

That said, I have heard Jungle Beat was pretty good.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, if you want Jungle Beat for the K. Rool and DKC elements, you're going to not have a great time, because yeah.

However, it's definitely a fun game, and is certainly worth a go.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, if you want Jungle Beat for the K. Rool and DKC elements, you're going to not have a great time, because yeah.

However, it's definitely a fun game, and is certainly worth a go.
Returns and Tropical Freeze are very close to the classic DKC games even without the Kremlings. Jungle Beat just abandoned everything basically. That's why I was so excited for Returns.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Returns and Tropical Freeze are very close to the classic DKC games even without the Kremlings. Jungle Beat just abandoned everything basically. That's why I was so excited for Returns.
Oh I know, Tropical Freeze is actually my second favorite in the series, for not being DKC2. Shame, if it had Kremlings it could've even been my favorite, everything was spot-on with it.

Jungle Beat was just lacking not only Kremlings, but most things that made DKC games what they are. (I guess that's fair though, since it was technically not a DKC game.)

Still, it's worth at least one playthrough.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
I feel stupid for asking but what is this 'event'? I jump on this thread and there's this talk of a new character being revealed soon.
What on earth do I do with my life if I missed this news?
upload_2014-6-29_20-22-25.jpeg

But like this cause for K Rool DLC. I may not have any personal attachment to the King himself but I still support him. I'll probably add a comment to the site soon.

Oh I know, Tropical Freeze is actually my second favorite in the series, for not being DKC2. Shame, if it had Kremlings it could've even been my favorite, everything was spot-on with it.

Jungle Beat was just lacking not only Kremlings, but most things that made DKC games what they are. (I guess that's fair though, since it was technically not a DKC game.)

Still, it's worth at least one playthrough.
What's wrong with the Snowmads? Look at the archer penguins. Archer. Penguins.

Edit: Just posted to the site under the name 'a Link to the Comments'. I'm serious about supporting our King.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I feel stupid for asking but what is this 'event'? I jump on this thread and there's this talk of a new character being revealed soon.
View attachment 17238

But like this cause for K Rool DLC. I may not have any personal attachment to the King himself but I still support him. I'll probably add a comment to the site soon.

What's wrong with the Snowmads? Look at the archer penguins. Archer. Penguins.

Edit: Just posted to the site under the name 'a Link to the Comments'. I'm serious about supporting our King.
The snomads were better than the tiki enemies but still just did'nt seem as much fun or interesting like the kremlings did, that and their leader frederick(the huge walrus you fight at the end) was basically a knockoff of k. rool not just in appearance but most of his moveset as well. I liked the rest of it though as far as levels and music go as well as the other boss battles.

Anyway back to K. Rool, I'd rather him already be in the game either as an already playable character or unlockable but if it did come down to dlc then he'd have my support as well just as long as he is'nt a clone to any of the other heavyweights already in ssb4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I will gladly help support the King for DLC. I would love for him to be the game to begin with, but alas; I have set my expectations real low for the roster. I may never have played DKC at all, but he would still make for an interesting character. I mean, he's an aligator who plus out a massive death laser to blow up a treehouse whenever you get a game over. How ridiculously hilarious is that? I just hope DK isn't completely shafted again. Even if K. Rool doesn't make it, at least make the stages something other than a darned jungle. Every Country stage in the series has been a jungle.

Bottom line, if K. Rool was DLC, I'd buy him twice.

Also as a fan of the color green, the OP is the best OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Funny you all should talk about DLC. . .look what I've been cooking up over the past few days. I am planning on spreading this around between as many other websites as possible, hoping to develop a significant following that could actually make a difference. What better place to start than K. Rool's very own biggest fan thread?

http://kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com

We're almost certainly getting DLC (Sakurai "not ruling it out," Gematsu leaking that it's being planned), so even though we're not sure of K. Rool's final fate yet, it's absolutely a great idea to start pushing him for DLC right now, while things are still calm and before the "GOKU, SHREK, NARUTO FOR DLC" requests reach fever pitch post-release. We'd be foolish not to, considering this is our big chance to actually be noticed in a time frame when Nintendo is actively listening to fan comments about the game due to events like E3 and the Best Buy showcases.

Anyhow, this is where I invite all of you onboard and hope that you'll help out in any way you can. Starting around Monday and continuing whenever there are slow periods in this thread, I'm going to start reaching out to Nintendo and Namco representatives in small ways detailed on the site, like on Twitter or by email. This is where everyone can take literally a single minute to chip in and potentially accomplish something big as a group (although more than a minute per member could accomplish something even more quickly).

Another thing, I've included a tab for 'Supporter Comments,' so, if you'd like to share, say, a background story about why you love K. Rool, why you support him for Smash, why you think he'd be a smart choice for DLC, etc., you can leave it in the site's comments. I'll upload it onto a post there so we can develop a Comment Wall of sorts, all as a testament to how much people really enjoy the character.

I hope you all will join me in continuing to support our favorite Kremling King beyond this thread as part of this Kampaign.

I love this, great job. I love how thoughtful each section is, I think all K. Rool supporters should look through your "Ways to Advocate for K. Rool". There are a lot of recommendations there that should be fairly easy for any of us to follow.

If I could suggest one thing about the front page it would be to further simplify it to the basic facts, purpose, and biography of King K. Rool. I would leave out explanations or references to other sections of your site. The reason for this is because I Imagine that some curious visitors (i.e. non-Kutthroats/K. Rool supporters) need to hear the "overall pitch" as concisely as and as quickly as possible. While K. Rool supporters may be more patient, I think less committed people may find more than a few lines (1 paragraph or 2 paragraphs at most, at least on the front page) daunting. I think opening with a reference to King K. Rool's accomplishments would be powerful, something like:

King K. Rool is the primary antagonist of the Donkey Kong series. With over 16 appearances [I don't know the number, I'm just guessing] since his introduction in Donkey Kong Country (1994), K. Rool is one of the most recurring and memorable characters in the series. A master of disguise, etc. etc. etc...K. Rool has been one of the most requested Smash Bros. characters for years [link to evidence here, maybe some of the polls Smash Boards has done on the subject?].
I'm not suggesting the above paragraph in a literal sense, I just want to demonstrate some of the things that I think should be emphasized. K. Rool has an impressive legacy! I think explicitly outlining his legacy, uniqueness, # of requests, etc. are essential components of the "pitch" that undecided/curious visitors need to hear. These are just my views, of course. Others may disagree, and I welcome their (and your) input.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd love to see the petition work.
My gut is that there are so many youtube videos, forums, blogs, and what have you about who the 'top wanted characters,' are, that it is quite known to Sakurai.
Perhaps the sheer number of supporters could mean something.

I guess the goal is to get casual players more invested in the roster choice? Those who post videos tend to be avid fans. The difficulty then becomes, are these players no longer casual if they become invested?

Chase

Smash Ace
Hoo boy, the hype is real for tomorrow. This may be K. Rool's finest hour! (Even though I personally think it's Mewtwo)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait, I thought the Japanese event already happened, like last night (EST). Or are we talking about something else?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Here are some things I have tweeted at Sakurai. In line with the advice on the Kremling Kampain page, I have tried to translate whatever I can. I stick to stock thank you/please phrases and the Japanese names of the characters/games/whatever. While I doubt anything I've used sounds natural or is completely correct, I think it should do the job.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should do this, but I also send tweets around the time the picture on Miiverse is posted (Sakurai retweets most posts from the official smash bros twitter around that time or later). I have enough that I've done on Miiverse that I can usually send one every working day (in Japan). If I run out or I don't want to use an old one, it doesn't take long to make a new one.

Anyway, I just mention this to demonstrate in action how some of the tips on the Kremling Kampaign site could be implemented. If you can, I would also use pictures of some sort (I don't think it has to be drawn, but something visual always helps; if you can think of anything else that is creative, go for it). I also want to reiterate that I really REALLY like this Kremling Kampaign idea! We have one of the biggest threads on this site, I'm excited about what some of the enthusiasm here might lead to.

By the way: Here are some Miiverse posts I liked recently.
K.Rool

EdMike

Buzzardo

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Question: Why are we all of a sudden supporting K. Rool for DLC? Has there been a leak or something.

D

Deleted member

Excitedly prepares One of Us song.

Oh... :urg:

My sentiments exactly. :c
Don't get me wrong, I support K. Rool, and I would love for him to be playable. He's me second most wanted character behind Shulk, as the roster is seriously lacking in lunatic aligators, but as a pessimist, I don't think he'll be main roster. I will gladly support all efforts to have him in the game, which is why I think trying to convince the team to have him be DLC is a great idea.

Unless he's already in the game.

Question: Why are we all of a sudden supporting K. Rool for DLC? Has there been a leak or something.
I think it's a precaution of sorts, to insure K. Rool is playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Huh, have been on this thread for a while now but I just realized that I'm not on the supporters list. Add me if you can please.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's a bit too early to support K.Rool for DLC. I'd much rather support him for the ingame roster! :laugh:
Agreed. I'm all for DLC should he not appear, but if you ask me it'd make more sense to wait and see what the final roster contains before putting any serious action into spreading the word. It's already been established that K. Rool has a sizable global following, so he'd still be up there for DLC choices even as things stand now.

I mean, what if we go though all that work, only for him to be confirmed in the initial game? Might as well wait and save energy for when we know for a fact that he is or isn't in.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think it would be wise if we start support through DLC now given the gap between now and when the game comes out. It would be a great way to get a head start and get something going if potential disappointment when the game comes out ensues. If he is in, that's good. If not, wouldn't it be best that we have a sizable amount of DLC supporters ahead of time when the game releases?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The event is just the World Hobby Fair 2014, and there IS NO reveal at the event. The event is already over, we'd have already heard something if a new character was revealed at the event. That said I do think we'll get a character reveal this week, anyway.

It's a bit too early to support K.Rool for DLC. I'd much rather support him for the ingame roster! :laugh:
Its too late to support anyone for the ingame roster. There's no way any character would be finished by the time the game releases.

Agreed. I'm all for DLC should he not appear, but if you ask me it'd make more sense to wait and see what the final roster contains before putting any serious action into spreading the word. It's already been established that K. Rool has a sizable global following, so he'd still be up there for DLC choices even as things stand now.

I mean, what if we go though all that work, only for him to be confirmed in the initial game? Might as well wait and save energy for when we know for a fact that he is or isn't in.
The idea is to get it started now just in case K. Rool isn't in the final roster, and most people around here are pessimistic as is, anyway. I for one am 90% konfident than Ridley is playable at this point, which honestly greatly helps K. Rool because he's the next best choice (especially going by villains) after Ridley, plus we have Kremlings in Smash Run and the DK stages are being hidden for some reason as well. I think it bodes well for K. Rool.

But at the same time, I kinda understand BKupa's thoughts on the matter. If K. Rool isn't in the full roster, it'd be better to start the kampaign early and get a following around the idea of promoting K. Rool as a DLC character earlier, before everyone starts klamouring for their favorite karacters to be added.

In my honest opinion? I'd much rather kampaign for K. Rool and the Kremling Krew to return to the DK series in general and also kampaign for K. Rool in Smash Bros. at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone. :D

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Argument #5: K. Rool Will Never Be Playable! The Kremlings Are Still Owned by Rare!
Oh, you say K. Rool is owned by Rare? I suppose his appearances in DK: King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, DK Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers were merely coincidental.

Suck it.
Just noticed this. XD

On an unrelated note, my computer crashed the first time I tried to quote this massive post. Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Whn I saw the title I thought Falco had been revealed.
As for the DLC thing, it's pretty much guaranteed that K.Rool will have an in-game model, it would make no sense to include Kremlings but not K.Rool, though I believe he's playable as the other possible DK newcomer has been hinted 0%

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Whn I saw the title I thought Falco had been revealed.
As for the DLC thing, it's pretty much guaranteed that K.Rool will have an in-game model, it would make no sense to include Kremlings but not K.Rool, though I believe he's playable as the other possible DK newcomer has been hinted 0%
I agree, but at the same time, we don't know for sure, so I don't see the hurt in vying for K. Rool early. I was kinda iffy on it before, but here's my thought; let's start up a huge campaign to bring K. Rool back PERIOD, and also add a note about "oh, and if K. Rool doesn't make it into Smash Bros., we'll also vye for K. Rool being DLC!"

I still think its quite likely K. Rool is in the game and Dixie will be DLC, but we don't know for sure right now.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
K. Rool as DLC sounds really interesting, considering that I'm already starting to find his chances iffy. Dixie Kong might already be in as a "last-minute clone that's unlockable".

Have you all considered the possibility that he might end up becoming a boss hazard? Because it's something that I'm cautiously aware of.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K. Rool as DLC sounds really interesting, considering that I'm already starting to find his chances iffy. Dixie Kong might already be in as a "last-minute clone that's unlockable".

Have you all considered the possibility that he might end up becoming a boss hazard? Because it's something that I'm cautiously aware of.
Yes, and we've pretty much all thrown out the notion (except a few pessimists). If Sakurai adds a DK boss hazard, he's not going to bring back K. Rool to do it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yes, and we've pretty much all thrown out the notion (except a few pessimists). If Sakurai adds a DK boss hazard, he's not going to bring back K. Rool to do it.
Are you sure? In the Brawl speculation days, I doubted the notion of Ridley becoming a boss because I thought it was ridiculous that he would do it to Samus's archenemy. I figured that because of his playable size in Melee's intro, that he would make Mother Brain the boss if he wanted one from that series.

Oh, but I was wrong. Dead wrong.

But honestly, if K. Rool isn't playable, then I'm thinking that he's a boss hazard. I really don't like the possibility, but it seems as though it's more likely to happen than using a forgettable character like Tiki Tong (who is really just Master Hand).

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Honestly, if the Gematsu leak is all the newcomers, Ridley is a boss, K. Rool is a boss, Snake is cut and Xenoblade doesn't get a stage? I think that's the only scenario where I actually won't buy the game. Just one of them not being the case would make me not hate it enough to buy it, which could be as simple as K. Rool not being a boss. So... yeah, kind of hoping that doesn't happen.

Top Bottom