• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
On the subject of Kirby screentime in the SSE: to be fair - you have to realize Sakurai has never really written for any series outside Kirby before Smash. It's better that he uses his own characters as a cushion considering he knows their motives much more rather than screwing up the characterization of another. If Smash 4 had a story mode, I would 100% expect Pit and Palutenia to be main characters and -at least- have Hades as a boss. Mario and King Dedede were basically the SSE protagonists though.

On that note, on the subject of Cartoon Rool showing up so often in the thread...how much does the cartoon contribute to your liking the character? I already liked him because of DK64 but I find the cartoon voice popping up in my head whenever I read any K. Rool dialogue.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
To be fair - you have to realize Sakurai has never really written for any series outside Kirby before Smash. It's better that he uses his own characters as a cushion considering he knows their motives much more rather than screwing up the characterization of another. If Smash 4 had a story mode, I would 100% expect Pit and Palutenia to be main characters and -at least- have Hades as a boss. Mario and King Dedede were basically the SSE protagonists though.

On that note, on the subject of Cartoon Rool showing up so often in the thread...how much does the cartoon contribute to liking the character? I already liked him because of DK64 but I find the cartoon voice popping up in my head whenever I read any K. Rool dialogue.
Mario? That's a funny way of spelling Kirby.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
On the subject of Kirby screentime in the SSE: to be fair - you have to realize Sakurai has never really written for any series outside Kirby before Smash. It's better that he uses his own characters as a cushion considering he knows their motives much more rather than screwing up the characterization of another. If Smash 4 had a story mode, I would 100% expect Pit and Palutenia to be main characters and -at least- have Hades as a boss. Mario and King Dedede were basically the SSE protagonists though.

On that note, on the subject of Cartoon Rool showing up so often in the thread...how much does the cartoon contribute to your liking the character? I already liked him because of DK64 but I find the cartoon voice popping up in my head whenever I read any K. Rool dialogue.
I actually never watched the cartoon as a kid, because I was not a DKC fan until my late teenage years. Nowadays, I think the cartoon portrayal of him simply reinforces my love of the character. His voice is perfect.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've never seen the cartoon beyond the "Why not?!" video before joining this site. But I will say that K. Rool's antics in the show, at least from what I've seen, are quite entertaining.

As for the Kongs themselves... Ugh...

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen the cartoon beyond the "Why not?!" video before joining this site. But I will say that K. Rool's antics in the show, at least from what I've seen, are quite entertaining.

As for the Kongs themselves... Ugh...
What I find hilarious about the show is that while most of it is so bad its good, I actually have to say the voice acting is pretty damn good. I mean ya what they say is often bullox and sometimes cringe worthy. But I really get a good grumpy old man vibe from Cranky, or cool dude from Funky. When the characters chat in the story I never really go "Oh man they should of redone that line, it sounded forced."

The stories often had plot holes, the songs were hilariously awful (which some how makes them even better), and the graphics are garbage. But if I give the show any props, I would say the voice actors did a solid job.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
What I find hilarious about the show is that while most of it is so bad its good, I actually have to say the voice acting is pretty damn good. I mean ya what they say is often bullox and sometimes cringe worthy. But I really get a good grumpy old man vibe from Cranky, or cool dude from Funky. When the characters chat in the story I never really go "Oh man they should of redone that line, it sounded forced."

The stories often had plot holes, the songs were hilariously awful (which some how makes them even better), and the graphics are garbage. But if I give the show any props, I would say the voice actors did a solid job.
Agreed. The voices are well enough, but maybe a little too well. I mean, watching DK dancing around with his horrendous graphics and beyond silly song lyrics clash tremendously with his above average voice acting. Guess it adds to the "so bad its good" factor though.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I can't help but love the show for it's sheer cheesiness (the songs, definitely). I can't say I admire DK's VA, but it probably makes sense for him to have that sort of voice when he's going to be the main character singing.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
I didnt really mean during the singing. They could of been professional singers, but with the tunes and lyrics of some of their songs, I dont think anything could of been done to save them. I meant more during the normal parts of the stories where everyone was just chatting. It all felt pretty genuine (or as genuine as bad story writing can be). Its really the only part of the original DKC series that I felt was done actually pretty well. Over all its still a really bad DKC kids show.....but its my bad DKC kids show...so i love it

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I already enjoyed K. Rool from his game appearances before I happened upon the esteemed "Donkey Kong Country - The Legend of the Crystal Coconut" feature length VHS tape. Although my first exposure to the cartoon didn't affect my opinion of him one way or the other, I rewatched all of the episodes a few years back after finding them on YouTube, and came to adore his cartoon incarnation as well, albeit not to the point where I'm drawing fanart of him making out with Klump...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I came to know about the DKC cartoon only from here, and I'm incredibly thankful for it. :laugh:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Super Mario Wiki introduced me to the cartoon. I've only seen a few episodes, but I become more and more tempted to watch more full episodes with every song that gets posted here.

Does anyone else wish that K. Rool could have his cartoon voice in SSB4?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I don't like the cartoon. So bad it's good? More like so bad it's terrible.

*Hides in a barrel*

Seriously though, I prefer K. Rool's portrayal in the games.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
The cartoon holds a special place in my heart. There was a set of three or four episodes in a VHS set called "Legend of the Crystal Coconut." The Blockbuster about ten minutes from my house didn't have it, but one about twenty minutes away did; whenever we went to that one, I would rent it. I remember it being the funniest and coolest show out there, and I must have watched that set a dozen times or more. I went looking for more episodes, but when I was just nine or ten I couldn't find any. The Blockbuster that had it closed before too long, and I bought the VHS. To this day, it's sitting in my movie cabinet, and I like to take it out from time to time.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
When I was a kid, I would constantly rent the movie Hook from the local movie store.

I was in denial and trying to get my love for K Rool from other means

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What voice do you think K. Rool would have if he makes it in Smash 4?

I guess the obvious choice is one similar to his Mario Super Sluggers portrayal.

I personally can't see it being anything different, unless Sakurai decides to pay homage to DK64.

D

Deleted member

I remember when I saw a small part of the cartoon when I was a little kid... I forgot what episode it was (again, I was a little kid). I remember that it looked odd to me. I remember that I didn't like how it looked and that the concept of a DK cartoon was... odd to me.

I don't really have any fond memories of it.

Maybe his Sluggers voice if they got his voice actor back. They might give him a new voice entirely.
I hope that he gets his voice from DK64.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I remember when I saw a small part of the cartoon when I was a little kid... I forgot what episode it was (again, I was a little kid). I remember that it looked odd to me. I remember that I didn't like how it looked and that the concept of a DK cartoon was... odd to me.

I don't really have any fond memories of it.

Maybe his Sluggers voice if they got his voice actor back. They might give him a new voice entirely.
I hope that he gets his voice from DK64.
It'll never happen but if we got Ben Campbell (the one from the cartoon) I would be so damn happy.

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool should get a new voice if he's in. I'd actually prefer it as I don't find his cartoon or DK64 to be the best suited for him.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I really don't have a preference for K. Rool's voice, aside from not wanting it to be realistic crocodile noises. A character with as much personality as K. Rool shouldn't be reduced to the same level Bowser has been for the past two games.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I really don't have a preference for K. Rool's voice, aside from not wanting it to be realistic crocodile noises. A character with as much personality as K. Rool shouldn't be reduced to the same level Bowser has been for the past two games.
I don't mind the way Bowser is portrayed in Smash, nor the way K. Rool might be portrayed in a similar manner. You don't really monologue when you're in the middle of an all-out slobber knocker, y'know? You're essentially an anthropomorphic alligator, you're gonna get a little feral.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't mind the way Bowser is portrayed in Smash, nor the way K. Rool might be portrayed in a similar manner. You don't really monologue when you're in the middle of an all-out slobber knocker, y'know? You're essentially an anthropomorphic alligator, you're gonna get a little feral.
I don't know, while both Bowser and K. Rool are reptilian, their personalities and general fighting styles are completely different. While Bowser does have plenty of weird mechanisms such of the Clown Car, he is usually right in there fighting Mario one-on-one with his own abilities when it comes to the main boss fights, maybe with some magic buff at times, but still doing things in a more animal-like nature.

K. Rool is more calculating, always using contraptions and cunning to outwit his foes (like playing dead for example). The only exceptions I can think of are the boxing ring fight in 64 and in the first DKC (though granted he still utilized falling cannonballs plus throwing his crown).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If DK and Diddy aren't getting Scooby Kong and Mickey Kong their modern voices this time around (at least as far as current footage shows), I can't see why K. Rool would. A revival for the character would most likely come with a new voice in tow, I'd think.

@ praline praline Any particular reason for the change of mind/heart?

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if they just used crocodile noises seeing as how DK and Diddy use realistic gorilla/monkey noises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
True, but it's possible to express personality in voice clips alone. Luigi's scared sounding vocals, and Wario's downright odd ones in Brawl prove that. When Bowser is just going "Raarr!", I don't get any of his arrogant brutishness conveyed. Bowser could keep his more wild fighting style, but have his current Mario game voice, and it would work just fine.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
True, but it's possible to express personality in voice clips alone. Luigi's scared sounding vocals, and Wario's downright odd ones in Brawl prove that. When Bowser is just going "Raarr!", I don't get any of his arrogant brutishness conveyed. Bowser could keep his more wild fighting style, but have his current Mario game voice, and it would work just fine.
I don't mind how they treat the voices and personalities of Bowser and K. Rool, I'd be content to have him in. The only villain I want chatty in battle is Hades.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't mind how they treat the voices and personalities of Bowser and K. Rool, I'd be content to have him in. The only villain I want chatty in battle is Hades.
I'd be content to have K. Rool just in as well, even if he is making stock animal noises. I'm just saying that my personal best case scenario (for him and Bowser by extension) is him being in, and having vocals that do a good job of conveying his personality. He doesn't even have to speak, just have unique sounds and such. Like the infamous Kremling noise from DKC1.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I guess the obvious choice is one similar to his Mario Super Sluggers portrayal.

I personally can't see it being anything different, unless Sakurai decides to pay homage to DK64.
I'd prefer the voice from DK64, it sounds more evil and intimidating but any voice for him is ok just as long as it does'nt sound too ridiculous.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If DK and Diddy aren't getting Scooby Kong and Mickey Kong their modern voices this time around (at least as far as current footage shows), I can't see why K. Rool would. A revival for the character would most likely come with a new voice in tow, I'd think.

@ praline praline Any particular reason for the change of mind/heart?
Well mainly cause I think DKis getting a third rep and as much as I want Dixie, I think we need more villains playable.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
It works kind of beautifully in that one SSE citizens when Bowser loses his **** and starts throwing Ganondorf's trophy around.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I grew up playing and loving Donkey Kong Country, far more than even Mario. (It was basically DKC and Zelda for me.) I watched the cartoon as a kid and loved it... now I kinda hate it. But I'll always support K. Rool, he NEEDS to come back. This is reinforced by me recently replaying the entire original DKC trilogy and remembering how hilariously awesome he was. And he's got the easiest moveset ever.

Honestly, until I saw the Kremlings appear in the Direct I thought "no way K. Rool will get in over Dixie," now I'm not so sure, and I love that. I love both Dixie and K. Rool, but I want K. Rool slightly over her. And he totally needs his epic expressions. And I don't get the whole "too many lizards" argument, since if Ridley is in comparing them all together; Bowser, Ridley, and K. Rool are nothing alike.

And I totally think both DK and FE will get a third rep. I can't see any franchise except the Big 3 topping 3, but I wouldn't mind both topping 3 as well (though the fourth would probably be a semi-clone if that was the case, and Dixie probably would be; although she'd use her hair, she would still feel similar to Diddy even without her having Diddy's jet barrels).

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I firmly believe that if K. Rool makes it into Smash, he will not be using feral croc noises. Mainly because he -needs- an evil laugh.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'd be content to have K. Rool just in as well, even if he is making stock animal noises. I'm just saying that my personal best case scenario (for him and Bowser by extension) is him being in, and having vocals that do a good job of conveying his personality. He doesn't even have to speak, just have unique sounds and such. Like the infamous Kremling noise from DKC1.
I'd LOVE if K. Rool made that noise after getting footstooled.

Top Bottom