• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
But it was clear logic that Diddy would be the second DKC character that would get in. Like... Everybody knew that that was going to happen. :rolleyes:

Just like with Zero Suit Samus and Metroid. :4zss:
Respect to Diddy and K. Rool, but Zero Suit Samus was more of a WTF addition than something everyone knew was going to happen, assuming you're talking about before the first Brawl trailer.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I wasn't aware that the DK games were cut from the VC, then again I bought them asap.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Respect to Diddy and K. Rool, but Zero Suit Samus was more of a WTF addition than something everyone knew was going to happen, assuming you're talking about before the first Brawl trailer.
Don't take the bait. It's just more of the same Ridley trolling, because somehow everyone knowing and saying that Impa wasn't replacing a beloved two-game veteran is comparable to a massive number of fans being let down that the ambiguously-handled Ridley is a hazard.

I'd main K. Rool before Diddy, but I recognize Diddy is the one with clear priority, given that he's basically the protagonist of the original DKC trilogy, and has been in the spotlight in every non-Jungle Beat game since.

D

Deleted member

This should of happened in brawl, YOU'RE LATE
To be fair, K. Rool never really had a shot of getting in Brawl. He wasn't going to get in over characters like Wario, Meta-Knight, King Dedede, Pit, etc and he was most certainly never was going to get in over Diddy Kong. Now that they're in, King K. Rool is among the biggest (non-casual) character not playable yet and as such, this is his first shot of getting in.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, K. Rool never really had a shot of getting in Brawl. He wasn't going to get in over characters like Wario, Meta-Knight, King Dedede, Pit, etc and he was most certainly never was going to get in over Diddy Kong. Now that they're in, King K. Rool is among the biggest (non-casual) character not playable yet and as such, this is his first shot of getting in.
He was considered in smash 64 so I don't think there is much of a problem.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
To be fair, it is a Virtual Console game, so it doesn't really mean K. Rool will be back.

Still, I'm glad we're seeing the Donkey Kong game on VC again. Hopefully this means the Donkey Kong Country games can show up on the Wii U Virtual Console.
as I said in the release of the first game ....it's... something, at least. =P... if the Kremlings returning in Smash Run isn't proof enough for make people think that the characters and the content of the original trilogy are owned by Nintendo, the return of the RareWare games on VC is more argument to shut these mouths; XD ... I mean, are the DKL games, but still... Here's the hope that the DKC be put back on VC, preferably in the Wii U's VC. =P (and the N64 games announced at E3, with DK64 being the first one)

And Brash the Bear! Don't forget him!

And add him to your reveals predictions for E3, because he's an obvious guess now.

Brash for Smash! even rhyme perfectly, must be a sign! 8D

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope this doesn't mean that you are losing faith in K. Rool.
Because if anything his chances are better than before.
No, I'm saying that literally K. Rool and Ridley have pretty much the same fan bases, seem to only have support in the West (personally I always felt Japanese smasher's opinions were overrated because they don't care as much about the game, sans as a extremely casually Nintendo character "beat 'em up" generally speaking), they both are the most unique characters that Nintendo owns that have yet to be playable, most of the older Nintendo fans want them, most of the older smash fans want them, most competitive smashers want them, and most super dedicated "casual smashers" want them as well.

IMO they're a lot cooler ideas than most of the confirmed Smash 4 newcomers.

That has been the case since Brawl came out, and it remains the case over 6 years later. It's about high freaking time we get one or the other, or preferably both.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Im surprised they never released DK64 on the Wii's VC. Since N64 games are coming to the eShop then now would be the perfect time to release it along with re-releases of the 3 original Donkey Kong Country games.
It's because of issues with Jetpac being one of the games present within DK64. Unless they were to replace that with another game, I don't see it coming to the Virtual Console.

I'd certainly would like to see it happen though, loved that game when I was young.

What would be nice is if K. Rool gets revealed at E3, that DKC, DKC2 and DKC3 are all added back into the Wii U Virtual Console as a complimation. Capcom did a similar thing with Mega Man by adding Mega Man 2, 3 and 4 onto the Wii Virtual Console and that was really neat to see them compliment Mega Man's inclusion like that.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This should of happened in brawl, YOU'RE LATE
Most of us DKC fans and smash fans were too busy riding the hype train for Diddy to give K. Rool much attention. We also realized that almost definitely wasn't going to happen with K. Rool, whereas if we pushed Diddy down the smash development team's throats, they'd have to add Diddy.

Before we realized we could get 3rd party characters, Diddy was up there with Wario for the most wanted character. Wario probably had the edge, but not by a lot. It's a similar situation to what K. Rool and Ridley are in now, actually, although obviously with more supporters for those 2 back then.
Im surprised they never released DK64 on the Wii's VC. Since N64 games are coming to the eShop then now would be the perfect time to release it along with re-releases of the 3 original Donkey Kong Country games.
DK64 has a game within it called "Jetpack" that Rare made that is owned by Rare. They would have to remove and replace it with something before adding it to the Virtual Console.
To be fair, K. Rool never really had a shot of getting in Brawl. He wasn't going to get in over characters like Wario, Meta-Knight, King Dedede, Pit, etc and he was most certainly never was going to get in over Diddy Kong.
IMO K. Rool should have gotten in over Meta Knight or Pit. Neither of them are nearly as important, iconic, or as unique a potentially playable character as K. Rool. It doesn't help both of them are poorly designed in Brawl, for 2 entirely different reasons. Plus K. Rool just fills out the roster better (no pun intended).

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
There is one concern have regarding K. Rool's inclusion. Sure, he may be popular here with hardcore smash fans, but how popular is he with casuals? It seems like many of our reveals so far (Greninja, Rosalina, Villager) are choices that are more popular within the casual fanbase as opposed to us. The ones that do pertain to hardcore smash fans (megaman and little mac) still have a fair bit of relevancy today, as opposed to K. Rool. I'm sure many of the anxious 10-year olds waiting for the game have never even heard of K. Rool. What does he have to warrant his inclusion among casual audiences?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've considered the casual angle of K. Rool, and my response is twofold.

One, I don't think there's any artificial barrier between casual and hardcore fanbases with regard to character appeal. You have characters who are stigmatized as being 'loved by casuals,' such as the Mii, and "new characters = casual characters" seems to be a common misconception as well. However, it's not as though there aren't pockets of forum-goers who want those things in Smash anyhow. The inverse is true as well, in that you have casual fans of DKC who have never touched a message board, but who know about and enjoy K. Rool nonetheless.

Two, my perception is that the previous rosters have catered to the more hardcore players, with the consideration that, if they enjoy it, the casuals probably will as well. That could change, of course, but it's all we have to go off of at the moment.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There is one concern have regarding K. Rool's inclusion. Sure, he may be popular here with hardcore smash fans, but how popular is he with casuals?
Look at DKC's popularity; it is bigger in popularity now than Zelda.

That's right, I said it.

DKC Returns outsold Skyward Sword in just about every territory (including Japan) with nowhere near the same amount of marketing or money behind it, and with less butt kissing reviews hailing it just because it's "the new Ocarina of Time". Unlike Zelda, DKC isn't become less and less relevant; no, it's becoming more relevant.

K. Rool is and always will be the central villain of DKC. The "slow burn" of DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze show that all roads lead to him, and we know it. They know it. Everyone at Nintendo who cares about DKC, money, and staying relevant knows it.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
DKC Returns outsold Skyward Sword in just about every territory (including Japan) with nowhere near the same amount of marketing or money behind it, and with less butt kissing reviews hailing it just because it's "the new Ocarina of Time". Unlike Zelda, DKC isn't become less and less relevant; no, it's becoming more relevant.
Helps that Both Returns and Tropical Freeze were far, FAR superior to Skyward Sword.
Please don't hurt me

Still, despite everything the DK series has going for it right now, I can't but be a little worried. I've stated before that I'm concerned we may get an influx of 'unique' and 'unexpected' characters from new or obscure series. Sure, Rosalina may be the exception to that, but I have nagging feeling Nintendo told Sakurai to use her.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Helps that Both Returns and Tropical Freeze were far, FAR superior to Skyward Sword.
Please don't hurt me

Still, despite everything the DK series has going for it right now, I can't but be a little worried. I've stated before that I'm concerned we may get an influx of 'unique' and 'unexpected' characters from new or obscure series. Sure, Rosalina may be the exception to that, but I have nagging feeling Nintendo told Sakurai to use her.
I think that maybe King K. Rool could qualify as both unexpected and unique. At the very least, definitely unique. All the cards seem in his favor, and there's no large card against him, unlike some other characters. I'd honestly shock me if he or god forbid Dixie didn't make it in.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Still, despite everything the DK series has going for it right now, I can't but be a little worried. I've stated before that I'm concerned we may get an influx of 'unique' and 'unexpected' characters from new or obscure series.
That kinda already happened...

Villager=unexpected
Rosalina=new
Greninja=very new
Little Mac=unexpected (outside the West)

Bottom line, Mega Man is pretty much the only internationally wanted character we've gotten so far...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Why do we call it "the West"=??? It's literally the entire smash fan base plus Japan (which isn't as big into smash as you think), India (Nintendo often doesn't sell directly there), and Korea (which has virtually no smash scene).

"The West" is literally where between 80 and 90% of smash fans live and the entire focus on the marketing of Smash WiiU.

Besides that, Japanese smashers generally don't care about smash as much as us in "the West" do.
Please don't hurt me
You're not wrong. Skyward Sword is criminally overrated, whereas DKC Returns is fan-freaking-tastic, despite the Wii awful motion control usage (but the 3DS port fixes that). I haven't played DKC Tropical Freeze (I don't have a WiiU), but I imagine it is similarly incredible.
Yeah, I do feel that worry. Hopefully the development team have more characters than what they and the rumors are leading on towards, otherwise my theories about how smash 3DS and WiiU should be run instead how it is run (aka 6 more months of development, the focus almost entirely on the multiplayer, making everything else a minor feature, and making lots of fairly priced/free DLC) IMO would have been more suitable, profitable, and better off for smash fans, Nintendo, and the development team.

Still, perhaps Sakurai's charade is to make the expected feel unexpected. If that's the case, he's done this Ridley/K. Rool ordeal quite masterfully, in a way that tops even his job at working us Ness fans up (and a good job taking slamming the door on the Ness haters, or in this case the Ridley/K. Rool haters).

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You're not wrong. Skyward Sword is criminally overrated, whereas DKC Returns is fan-freaking-tastic, despite the Wii awful motion control usage (but the 3DS port fixes that). I haven't played DKC Tropical Freeze (I don't have a WiiU), but I imagine it is similarly incredible.
Skyward Sword isn't overrated, the game is so polarizing. You'd expect that when the game has the highest highs and lowest lows in the series.

And lol no, DKCR Wii >>> DKCR3D. 60FPS is far superior than no waggle.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Skyward Sword isn't overrated, the game is so polarizing. You'd expect that when the game has the highest hights and lowest lows in the series.
No, it's overrated. It's the easiest in the series sans FSA (in a series full of super easy games; every game from Ocarina on has a childish difficulty), it's world is super small, it has no replay value, it holds your hand and basically plays the game for you, it has nothing to explore or any real way of exploring, and it's just barren, boring, and bland. It's good gameplay, music, bosses, and dungeon designs can't hide the fact it's just bad at a lot of things.

To quote myself, "Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are what Skyward Sword wishes the next 3D Zelda game could be." #BatmanForSmash #LOLNO
The shake controls were that bad. 30fps were still pretty good, and the 3DS really made the levels stick out. It more properly used the graphics because it wasn't limited to the CRT 480p bland-ish look gaming was stuck in for over a decade.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No, it's overrated. It's the easiest in the series sans FSA (in a series full of super easy games; every game from Ocarina on has a childish difficulty), it's world is super small, it has no replay value, it holds your hand and basically plays the game for you, it has nothing to explore or any real way of exploring, and it's just barren, boring, and bland. It's good gameplay, music, bosses, and dungeon designs can't hide the fact it's just bad at a lot of things.

To quote myself, "Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are what Skyward Sword wishes the next 3D Zelda game could be." #BatmanForSmash #LOLNO
You're really not wrong with your complaints (in fact I agree), but that doesn't really make it overrated. The game gets praises, but at the same time it gets a LOT of critcism as well. Opinions on the game are extremely polarizing.

The shake controls were that bad. 30fps were still pretty good, and the 3DS really made the levels stick out. It more properly used the graphics because it wasn't limited to the CRT 480p bland-ish look gaming was stuck in for over a decade.
Did you try time trials on the 3DS version? Near unplayable. 30FPS is very unresponsive for a precision platformer, shake to roll just needs adjustment. (It's really nothing more than a flick of the wrist anyway)
Either way, TF has the best of both worlds. Though I think shake to roll is better for time trials than buttons.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Did you try time trials on the 3DS version? Near unplayable. 30FPS is very unresponsive for a precision platformer, shake to roll just needs adjustment. (It's really nothing more than a flick of the wrist anyway)
Either way, TF has the best of both worlds. Though I think shake to roll is better for time trials than buttons.
Beating the levels themselves is a huge hurdle for me. Beating the levels acting like a demon is chasing me going as fast as the wind, however, is something I cannot fathom doing.

I really need to get TF. I loved Returns, so there's really no excuse for me to not have TF by now.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You're really not wrong with your complaints (in fact I agree), but that doesn't really make it overrated. The game gets praises, but at the same time it gets a LOT of critcism as well. Opinions on the game are extremely polarizing.
There's nothing special about the game except the motion controls, and honestly, even Nintendo admitted they are tired of motion controls. It's just controls, and honestly, you take them away, the real time action, and all that, and it's a boring, bland excuse for a 3D Zelda games. Even Twilight Princess blows it away.

Although I must say, people who complain about the story are stupid. The story in Zelda games generally are meh, and Skyward Sword has generally a better one.

After I buy a game, I always ask myself "will I enjoy this 10 years from now?" 1 month after beating Skyward Sword I didn't enjoy it anymore. It was a bad purchase IMO, if not for the awesome soundtrack that came with it. To be fair though, I said the same things for Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (although that was a few years afterwards).

Honestly, replay value (as in being able to replay them and have fun) with games, and yes, characters in Smash is what I ultimately care about above all else in all things gaming-related. If I see a character in smash I can't have fun fight as or against 15 years from now like the cast in Smash 64, I would say that IMO, they were a failure of an addition to the roster. On the flip side, if a character is still fun to play as or against 15 years down the road, well then they were a gigantic success. I see K. Rool as almost definitively fitting into the latter category.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Beating the levels themselves is a huge hurdle for me. Beating the levels acting like a demon is chasing me going as fast as the wind, however, is something I cannot fathom doing.

I really need to get TF. I loved Returns, so there's really no excuse for me to not have TF by now.
It's not hard! I mean it'll take 20 tries to get down the timing for a level, but it's worth it. Not to brag, but I got top 10 on a level in Tropical Freeze and the satisfaction of it is umatched. Time trials are absolutely the best thing about Retro's DKC. It's like a damn Sonic game

I don't really get why DKCR doesn't get into speedrun events often, since it's so satisfying to watch and makes you appreciate the level design. DKC1 for some reason always get represented though. Yeah seeing a speedrun of that game the first time is entertaining because of the exploits but I can only endure so much seeing it the 20th time. Go figure that it's the only DKC game (of all of them! I'll take DKC3 because that's still fun to watch!) in this SGDQ.

TF is worth it. Level design is about on par with Returns, though I'd give the edge to Returns because of the world 5, 6 and 7 combo in that game but TF is more consistent. As an overall package TF beats it easy.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
It's not hard! I mean it'll take 20 tries to get down the timing for a level, but it's worth it. Not to brag, but I got top 10 on a level in Tropical Freeze and the satisfaction of it is umatched Time trials are absolutely the best thing about Retro's DKC. It's like a damn Sonic game

I don't really get why DKCR doesn't get into speedrun events often, since it's so satisfying to watch and makes you appreciate the level design. DKC1 for some reason always get represented though. Yeah seeing a speedrun of that game the first time is entertaining because of the exploits but I can only endure so much seeing it the 20th time. Go figure that it's the only DKC game (of all of them! I'll take DKC3 because that's still fun to watch!) in this SGDQ.

TF is worth it. Level design is about on par with Returns, though I'd give the edge to Returns because of the world 5, 6 and 7 combo in that game but TF is more consistent. As an overall package TF beats it easy.
World 6(that's the dinosaur-bone one, if I remember) was one of my favorite DK worlds ever. I also like the fact that the Xylophone tiki kind of resembled a fossil. I'll have to round up my funds to go buy TF soon.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It's because of issues with Jetpac being one of the games present within DK64. Unless they were to replace that with another game, I don't see it coming to the Virtual Console.

I'd certainly would like to see it happen though, loved that game when I was young.

What would be nice is if K. Rool gets revealed at E3, that DKC, DKC2 and DKC3 are all added back into the Wii U Virtual Console as a complimation. Capcom did a similar thing with Mega Man by adding Mega Man 2, 3 and 4 onto the Wii Virtual Console and that was really neat to see them compliment Mega Man's inclusion like that.
Dang, i cant believe i didnt know that earlier. They should just remove it completely and release it on the VC. It's not like it would be that missed. Also, yea, if they did reveal K.Rool then adding all of the Country games would be awesome and i'd totally buy them again.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I've considered the casual angle of K. Rool, and my response is twofold.

One, I don't think there's any artificial barrier between casual and hardcore fanbases with regard to character appeal. You have characters who are stigmatized as being 'loved by casuals,' such as the Mii, and "new characters = casual characters" seems to be a common misconception as well. However, it's not as though there aren't pockets of forum-goers who want those things in Smash anyhow. The inverse is true as well, in that you have casual fans of DKC who have never touched a message board, but who know about and enjoy K. Rool nonetheless.

Two, my perception is that the previous rosters have catered to the more hardcore players, with the consideration that, if they enjoy it, the casuals probably will as well. That could change, of course, but it's all we have to go off of at the moment.
This reminds me, I was in Hollywood and I was talking about Smash to this woman's personal assistant,
and she surprisingly knew exactly who Little Mac was and where he was from.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This reminds me, I was in Hollywood and I was talking about Smash to this woman's personal assistant,
and she surprisingly knew exactly who Little Mac was and where he was from.
Should've a) gotten her number and b) asked her about K. Rool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Sword isn't overrated, the game is so polarizing. You'd expect that when the game has the highest highs and lowest lows in the series.

Skyward Sword had awesome dungeons. A good challenge with regular combat (or at least, it was far more fun than in OOT and TP). And did the Motion Plus thing very well. All items you get are useful all the time to.

It's underrated. It's definitely a game that holds up to Twilight Princess, at the very least.

DKCR is superiour yes. But one wouldn't expect that from the lack of love the DKC series has gotten over the years, whilst Zelda was Nintendo's biggest cashcow after Mario and Pokemon. Think that was the point.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I thought K. Rool was one of the few characters who is highly requested in both "The West" and in Japan?

From the informal polls as well as reports from people on forums who have some familiarity with the Japanese Smash fan base, I've gathered that K. Rool and Palutena are essentially the only 2 characters not yet added who are very popular and requested in both Japan and the USA, with Chrom and Shulk being 3rd and 4th as far as Japanese requests go (although Ridley's popularity in the West is so big it puts him up there shoulder-to-shoulder with K. Rool and Palutena in terms of overall popularity).

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Oh no, some people like a game that I don't like. Let's ***** about how overrated it is and how wrong their opinions are and how my opinions are better and written on Jesus's stone tablets themselves

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I like to complain, the Internet enjoys listening to what I have to say. Where else can you go that people know everything about anything if they can look it up with google/Wikipedia first? Makes serious discussion that much ideal /sarcasm

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hi! I've lurked here before but this is my first time posting. I usually hang around on Miiverse since I feel it is harder to be active on "real" forums. But I'm going to make an exception for this really awesome community. Hope these last few months are kind to us and the King. I wanted to contribute some of my own Miiverse pics supporting one of Nintendo's most memorable villains.

Nice to meet you all. :-)

Top Bottom