• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
On K. Rool...

He and Bowser are different personalities all together. I think of them as the Lex Luthor and the Joker, respectively: Lex/ K. Rool will take any steps to destroy their enemy, without any obstacles. The Joker/Bowser take great pleasure in fighting their opponent, and can even have emotions/respect for them. To see Batman/Mario go would not affect Luthor/K. Rool, but deeply sadden Joker/Bowser.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
What I like about K. Rool is that he never tries the same scheme twice. Unlike Bowser, who does pretty much nothing but kidnap Peach all the time, K. Rool actually learns from his mistakes.

DKC: Steals the banana hoard (according to Rare he wanted the Kongs to starve to death).
DKC2: Successfully kidnaps the Kong that previously defeated him, then tortures him by shooting cannonballs at him. (And his message to Diddy and co. simply states "--you will never see him again!" )
DKC3: Kidnaps both the Kong who defeated him the first time AND the Kong who defeated him last time. Then uses them as living batteries for a giant robot and tries to use it to conquer the world.
DK64: Decides he's had enough of the Kongs and tries to blow up their whole island and kill them all. When the Blast-o-Matic breaks, he steals the Banana hoard and kidnaps the Kongs as a distraction for DK while the Kremlings fix the machine.

And looking at those actions, K. Rool certainly lives up to his name.

D

Deleted member

I am liking the soundtrack to Tropical Freeze thus far! It sounds really freaking good!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
They just get better and better going down that list of links. I'm gonna have a lot of new music to download in just a few weeks.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Mmm, that Aquatic Ambiance remix. Dave is doing an absolutely wonderful job with this soundtrack. I'm still hoping we get some DKC2 remixes in there, specifically Mining Melancholy, Forest Interlude and, of course, Stickerbrush Symphony. I can't wait for this game to come out! Seriously, the wait is killing me.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Starting at around 0:26, the song gets fan-****ing-tastic. Shame it's drowned out partially by DK jumping and humping the minecart.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know what else? Even if the final boss is Diet K. Rool: Walrus Flavor, we're getting final boss music from the same guy who composed Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony. If that prospect doesn't make your hair stand on end, congratulations, you're a cyborg.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone notice

As a king, K Rool has a pirate ship

As a pirate, K Rool has a technologically advanced airship

As a mad scientist, K Rool has a castle

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They sound amazing, particularly the last two ones. Whether or not I get the game, I will be getting the soundtrack.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, I'm not counting King K. Rool out by any means. I still believe he has a pretty high chance.

+ He was wanted in Melee, and very highly requested for Brawl. Now? He is among one of the highest requested I'd say; at Mega Man levels (before he was confirmed, obviously).
+ The whole Rare load of krock (yes I went there) needs to stop please... Seriously. Nintendo has the right to do what they please with him.
+ He has the potential to be as unique as even Mega Man or Villager, who are both very intriguing, because he has had so many tools / tricks / gadgets over the years in DKC. Honestly, the hardest part to making a moveset to him is deciding what to put where. Ground Pound Shockwave (DK64) - The helicopter he had (DKC3) - The Punching Gloves (DK64) - His crown (DKC) - The Blunderbuss (DKC2) - This list goes on and on, just naming a few things.
+ Alongside his tools, his size can contribute to his moveset as well, as Welshy pointed out.

- His only downside is that many believe he's doomed because he hasn't appeared in a while, while this is frightening, Diddy was absent for Jungle Beat, yet he ended up in SSBB.

Bias aside, Sakurai wants unique characters? King K. Rool fits the bill for unique to a tee. Frankly, the amount of hype that K. Rool would rack up would be tremendous. His moveset has the potential to be extraordinary unique, and there isn't really a reason why Donkey Kong cannot have four reps (assuming Dixie finds her way in).

All this aside though, this is Sakurai we're dealing with... I guess we wait.
I agree with this. I consider K. Rool one of the most likeliest newcomers, regardless of his current absence.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Dat... Aquatic... Remix, wow.

Starting at around 0:26, the song gets fan-****ing-tastic. Shame it's drowned out partially by DK jumping and humping the minecart.

I've heard a lot of really good tunes from the footage I've seen so far. I even hear a hint of the old Rareware magic in some instances, this video after 0:26 as you pointed out is one of the examples where I hear it. It's David Wise though, so we can only expect a LOT of good quality music for TF.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You know what else? Even if the final boss is Diet K. Rool: Walrus Flavor, we're getting final boss music from the same guy who composed Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony. If that prospect doesn't make your hair stand on end, congratulations, you're a cyborg.
I'd rather have the Snowmads unaffiliated with K.Rool. A hijack by Ganon only with K.Rool would deminished them and possibly K.Rool. And they're already more interesting villains than the Tikis. Seriously, I can remember Awks and Rawks better than any Tiki.

Also does anyone find it odd that we got info on the so called final level of the game? Its setting and the music?

I'm betting there is at least one more world, not counting a possible Lost World, after frozen DK Island

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
A tease at the end of TF would be neat. After the Kongs have driven away the Snomads when suddenly in the distance appears a huge pirate ship and on board are the Kremlings with K. Rool grinning like the krazy krok he is.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd rather have the Snowmads unaffiliated with K.Rool. A hijack by Ganon only with K.Rool would deminished them and possibly K.Rool. And they're already more interesting villains than the Tikis. Seriously, I can remember Awks and Rawks better than any Tiki.

Also does anyone find it odd that we got info on the so called final level of the game? Its setting and the music?

I'm betting there is at least one more world, not counting a possible Lost World, after frozen DK Island
You mean the final world, right? I haven't seen anything about the final level yet.

Tiki Tong sure could have used a hijacking, "Tikis being diminished" damned, since they're disposable one-offs anyway. Maybe Diet K. Rool could as well, though we'll find out soon enough.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
So, is there absolutely no chance that the Snowmads are working for K. Rool or that their leader is him in disguise?

We would've probably heard about it if that was the case, huh?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King K. Rool with a fake plastic penguin bill held onto his face with cheap string around his head would be excellent.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, is there absolutely no chance that the Snowmads are working for K. Rool or that their leader is him in disguise?

We would've probably heard about it if that was the case, huh?
A few days ago, there was a leak from 4chan that claimed that, just as you get ready to punch out the final Diet K. Rool boss, the actual K. Rool interrupts you with cannonballs, then flees, requiring you to chase him for two more worlds. However, the same leak also claimed that the boss of the third world was a resurrected Tiki Tong, which, according to a USGamer interview, is false: the third boss is a ninja monkey who attacks with illusions.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
It appears the mostly-brain-dead moron that is the mouth-breathing Alex Jones of the Official Nintendo Magazine: UK (and no, not that Alex Jones) believes the Kremlings (and by extension, King K. Rool) are "mediocre" villains of the series, especially in their character designs, and that the Snowmads are a superior alternative for the future of Donkey Kong antagonism.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...internet-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/

Good for a laugh/head-scratch or two.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I thought it was conspiracy theorist radio host Alex Jones when I read that.

At least then I would have known what I was reading would have been stupid.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
It appears the mostly-brain-dead moron that is the mouth-breathing Alex Jones of the Official Nintendo Magazine: UK (and no, not that Alex Jones) believes the Kremlings (and by extension, King K. Rool) are "mediocre" villains of the series, especially in their character designs, and that the Snowmads are a superior alternative for the future of Donkey Kong antagonism.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...internet-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/

****ing douchebag. We oughta go there and punch his ass out. :p

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
While I do agree that in terms of basic character design, the Kremlings aren't really any more interesting than the Snomads, the point behind the Kremlings' popularity lays in their execution. Kremlings ooze personality in-game, with their unique incarnations which provide for more interesting gameplay challenges and obstacles than the formulaic "Goomba clone, Paratroopa clone, etc." set-up of the Tikis and Snomads. Conceptually, yes. Military/Pirate-themed crocodiles aren't any more interesting than viking-themed arctic animals, but the Kremlings have proved to be more interesting from a gameplay perspective, and they have a world built up around them that the more generic Retro enemies notably lack. K. Rool in particular is a much more entertaining villain, at least to me, because of his comical mannerisms and hilarious insanity. His personality disorder makes him a great villain, because it allows him to stay fresh every time he's battled, while still bringing with him his beloved personality and equally adaptable minions.

The Kremlings just have more character, especially when you look at how they operate during gameplay. While I prefer DKCR's gameplay to the original trilogy (*puts up flame shield*), the original games always had more personality to them. Not necessarily because of the Kremlings. The Kremlings' likability derives from the personality that the games always had. I think their return to the series, if they're portrayed similarly to how they always were, would bring some much-appreciated personality along with them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally, the kremlings were the best in DKC2

Pirate went REALLY well with them

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Perhaps he just did that because he saw K. Rool as an easy target during the Kremlings' long hiatus while trying to praise the current baddies. I don't agree with him, as it's a terrible way to try and give praise to the Snowmads, but he's entitled to his opinion. Most of us feel the same way about the Tikis after all. :ohwell:

Oh yeah. *insert David Wise appreciation comment here*

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually really like the snowmads. I think they're awesome!

And I think most people do too.

If K.Rool made more regular appearances, we would love them.

I think we're just afraid that the snowmads's existence means something bad for our favorite race of crocodiles.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I liked the Tikis personally. But the giant Hands boss thing is overdone, that I agree on.

And so far I'm liking the Snowmads a lot. I want K. Rool and Kremlings to make a comeback soon though. And once the Kremlings start making regular appearances in the DK franchise again (and perhaps getting in Mario spin-offs too) I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the Snowmads make another appearance or two at some point, perhaps as a rival to the Kremlings.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
While I do agree that in terms of basic character design, the Kremlings aren't really any more interesting than the Snomads, the point behind the Kremlings' popularity lays in their execution. Kremlings ooze personality in-game, with their unique incarnations which provide for more interesting gameplay challenges and obstacles than the formulaic "Goomba clone, Paratroopa clone, etc." set-up of the Tikis and Snomads. Conceptually, yes. Military/Pirate-themed crocodiles aren't any more interesting than viking-themed arctic animals, but the Kremlings have proved to be more interesting from a gameplay perspective, and they have a world built up around them that the more generic Retro enemies notably lack. K. Rool in particular is a much more entertaining villain, at least to me, because of his comical mannerisms and hilarious insanity. His personality disorder makes him a great villain, because it allows him to stay fresh every time he's battled, while still bringing with him his beloved personality and equally adaptable minions.

The Kremlings just have more character, especially when you look at how they operate during gameplay. While I prefer DKCR's gameplay to the original trilogy (*puts up flame shield*), the original games always had more personality to them. Not necessarily because of the Kremlings. The Kremlings' likability derives from the personality that the games always had. I think their return to the series, if they're portrayed similarly to how they always were, would bring some much-appreciated personality along with them.
I personally feel like military-like crocodiles are much more interesting than Tiki bongos and arctic animals. :troll:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Tikis were a very functional group of enemies and were easily applicable to the platforming part of Donkey Kong. You jumped on them and they got you to the next part. One problem is that they were too much platform and not enough enemy. I can't name a single time where I actually felt threatened by the tikis. They were a**-draggingly slow and 90% of them did nothing more than provide material to jump on. I'd have enough time to sit and daydream at the pace tikis moved. Compare that to a moving klaptrap and difference between an enemy and a platform device becomes easily noticeable. The only tikis that felt like an enemy were the tiki torches/bombers because they actually did something and had a specific method to defeating them but not even they could save the whole tribe from their complete lack of both presence and personality. From the first trailer of Tropical Freeze we saw more interactive and interesting characters than in the entirety of the Tiki Tak Tribe and that tells a lot.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

He's probably one of those guys that "hated" water levels and other Kongs like Dixie and Funky when Returns came out, but now sings praise to Retro for bringing them back.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You know, Not!Alex Jones would be shilling the Kremlings if they were in either game because.... shilling any decision Nintendo makes is fun.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Perhaps, then, my main opposition towards the article is not necessarily the comparative designs between Snowmads and Kremlings (although it wasn't even my major concern), but rather the supercilious disdain displayed against the Kremlings in general. It reeks a highly offensive stench of snobbishness. No matter, then; it is best to move onward now.

Hopefully by February's end, we can indulge ourselves in more Donkey Kong content, since we are long overdue. A newly-announced newcomer or returning veteran are (obviously) enough to excitingly anticipate, especially better if a potential Tropical Freeze-inspired stage is integrated.

Has anybody considered the (remote) possibility of a Donkey Kong Event Match based on the (strikingly beautiful) silhouette levels from the recent entries of the series? Let's say if, for example, the game's content were to include a Sunset Shore stage. For this specific Event Match, the Donkey Kong character's models would be completely blackened out, akin to Dark Link in Melee's Event 18: Link's Adventure, and they would slug it out as any other Event Match. Just a whimsical musing to ponder about.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was as shocked as several of you seemed to be when I saw that that article was written by a guy named Alex Jones and yet was not about how the Kremlings want to take our guns, or how K. Rool was responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing or whatever.

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I prefer Aquatic Ambience or Stickerbrush Symphony. They're the two best songs in video game history...in my humble opinion.

Top Bottom