• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Everyone here that beat all 3 DKC games as a child, raise your hand. Bonus points for beating DK64.
Been there, done all that. On SNES, GBA, and even the overlooked GBC versions, as well as the dreaded Donkey Kong Lands.

DKCR is the only one I didn't 100% after finishing the final boss. Guess I wasn't too much a fan of its way of getting bonus items.

IIRC they were taken off the Wii Shop Channel's virtual console games, right? I guess emulators are my only option then.
Yep. :\

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't know about that. We can both agree that 3 is not the best though.
dont be tellin me DKC is better than DKC2. you CANT.

There are 2 things in life I am sure of.

1. DKC 2 is the best DKC
2. I have at least 2 points in life I am sure of.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Can see why some would like the first one better. Not sure which I like more out of the two myself though. And 3, while not the best, was certainly not bad/still worthwhile.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Really off-topic from the current conversation, but still DKC-related.

I'm really hoping that Tropical Freeze has a background cameo by the Ice Climbers in one of the ice levels, much like how Mr. Game & Watch appeared in Foggy Fumes in DKCR. Or better yet, having them be secret or DLC playable characters would be hilariously awesome.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Can see why some would like the first one better. Not sure which I like more out of the two myself though. And 3, while not the best, was certainly not bad/still worthwhile.
Agreed. Also, I have no idea why Nintendo seems hell-bent on not recognizing any part of DKC3, ever, at least in Smash. It got a Chronicle mention and was listed on Squitter's trophy, but otherwise...?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Really off-topic from the current conversation, but still DKC-related.

I'm really hoping that Tropical Freeze has a background cameo by the Ice Climbers in one of the ice levels, much like how Mr. Game & Watch appeared in Foggy Fumes in DKCR. Or better yet, having them be secret or DLC playable characters would be hilariously awesome.
That. Would. Be. The. Best. Thing. Ever!!!

Seriously. Retro, get to work on it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Agreed. Also, I have no idea why Nintendo seems hell-bent on not recognizing any part of DKC3, ever, at least in Smash. It got a Chronicle mention and was listed on Squitter's trophy, but otherwise...?
Donkey Kong Country 3 is commonly referred as the worst and less successful of the of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the SNES. So, naturally I'd imagine that it's either intentionally overlooked as an old shame, or it's simply an oversight due to the success of Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

But, in my opinion, I don't think it's that bad. My main problems with it is that getting 100% is a bit convoluted, and the soundtrack is forgettable. But out the SNES games, I would argue it's the most distinctive one and has the best visuals.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I had Donkey Kong Country for the Game Boy Color.

I think I'm the only one in the world who had that.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Donkey Kong Country 3 is commonly referred as the worst and less successful of the of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the SNES. So, naturally I'd imagine that it's either intentionally overlooked as an old shame, or it's simply an oversight due to the success of Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

But, in my opinion, I don't think it's that bad. My main problems with it is that getting 100% is a bit convoluted, and the soundtrack is forgettable. But out the SNES games, I would argue it's the most distinctive one and has the best visuals.
I don't think it's necessarily that but it came out at a bad time. DKC3 was released as the N64 had just come out a few months before. It's still a great game and most reviewers will give it an 8 or higher. But yes, it's music wasn't nearly as good as the first two and many times had trouble with fitting the atmosphere. Still, there were some good songs in there. My favorite are Rockface Rumble and Stilt Village(GBA). It's still a better soundtrack than returns IMO. Returns only had 1 song that stuck with me which was the rocketbarrel song (which I'm glad they're bring back in Tropical Freeze) and a bunch of remixes. Most new songs were unimpressive.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
In addition to the fact that it was released as the N64 was taking off, I also always believed that DKC3 gets ignored by Nintendo because neither of its protagonists have been heavily promoted since Rare left. Nintendo have tried to reboot the series multiple times since then, always trying to "trim the fat" and narrow down the focus to just DK and Diddy, and sometimes just DK himself.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"When K. Rool joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the Blast-o-Matic. Alfonzo: 'Soon, Donkey Kong and his pretty little island...will be no more.'"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mentioned just last page that I had gotten the GBC versions at one point too (among other things). Guess that floated over someone's head.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I remember having the GBC versions, GBA remakes, and even the Virtual Console rereleases. As little as I think of it, Donkey Kong was essentially the end-all be-all series I grew up with.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I remember having the GBC versions, GBA remakes, and even the Virtual Console rereleases. As little as I think of it, Donkey Kong was essentially the series I grew up with.
I grew up with GBA DKC1 and SNES DKC2. Weird, eh?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I had the Gameboy Colour version, I don't recall playing it however... Probably because I always played the originals instead.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The Gameboy Color DKC was noteworthy for having an original final level called Necky Nutmare, right?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Copying that image over since it's considered "ideologically sensitive" on DeviantArt for god knows what reason.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A woman getting hit, I guess. Though I really feel pity for someone who's "sensitive" to something like this.
Yeah, I could understand that if, say, she was getting visibly bruised or there was blood or something, but here, she just has a cartoon scuff and x's for eyes. That's not even as bad as it gets in the actual game of Smash, for crying out loud.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Yeah, I could understand that if, say, she was getting visibly bruised or there was blood or something, but here, she just has a cartoon scuff and x's for eyes. That's not even as bad as it gets in the actual game of Smash, for crying out loud.
I think it's because of K Rool bloodshot eye. Not that it's a better excuse.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
His sanity has been deteriorating for the better part of two decades. I wonder if that would be reflected in any new design he were to get...

Speaking of design, the NeoGAFers are now smearing K. Rool with Too Bigotry. They must never have played the masterpiece that was Mario Super Sluggers.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
His sanity has been deteriorating for the better part of two decades. I wonder if that would be reflected in any new design he were to get...

Speaking of design, the NeoGAFers are now smearing K. Rool with Too Bigotry. They must never have played the masterpiece that was Mario Super Sluggers.
Well, Super Sluggers never get released in Europe.

King K Rool deconfirmed for the PAL version.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seriously? King K. Rool is too big now? It was bad enough with Ridley. I get not wanting a character, but c'mon now people.....you could try and have a justifiable reason for your dislike of said characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
DKC2 is on a next level.....

Completed it last year for the first time....i never played it back then....only DKC1 alot finished #1 like 3 times

Ofc didnt have much nostalga attack becaue it was recent but Damn....DKC2 Stupid.....how much it improved etc.....MaD game.....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Time to bring back an old favorite...

This....is the greatest thing I've seen this week! Forget everything else. This needs to be a movie! I mean, Ridley has sunglasses and is carrying two Ray Guns. And K. Rool has a f#@king cannon. That's f#@king awesome!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Has anybody else seen the intro for Tropical Freeze? :bee:
This gives me even more reason to love the Snomads, especially the penguins.

Top Bottom