• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oooh yeah, not that it really has much competition in that department.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I enjoyed Returns for what it was. Having played the original trilogy to the point where I can recognize the gameplay staples within the series (i.e. timing mine cart jumps so as to land on lower tracks and snag goodies, carrying barrels as far as possible to find new targets), it satisfied me quite a bit on that level, but not very much on any other. I thought it was downright pathetic that only three Kongs were in a character-centric series, the Tikis were obviously horrible and never provided a sense of rivalry or even sentience, the original characters were demonstrative of Retro's Dreamworks sense of humor, and many level archetypes felt rehashed from the original. You can just visualize Miyamoto breathing down the necks of the Retro developers and keeping them on a needless leash (he was responsible for stuff like the stupid blowing mechanic).

In Tropical Freeze, however, you get the sense that this is Retro's own fully-fledged DKC game. Dixie and Funky return, Dixie and Cranky are far more involved in the main adventure so there's more of a Kong family vibe, the Vikings are compelling antagonists due to being reskinned Kremlings (the bosses aren't, and are brilliant as such), and the worlds are packed to the brim with imaginative new archetypes (cheese factory, savannah, ocean abyss, mangrove swamp, etc.) Oh yeah, and Motherf***ing David Wise and classic SMB2 enemy-throwing gameplay (courtesy of SMB2 developer Tanabe), too. There's currently discussion on DKVine regarding whether this will top DKC2 as the best DKC of all time thus far, and while I'm in no rush to pass judgment until the recency bias has passed, I definitely think it'll be Top 2.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I enjoyed Returns for what it was. Having played the original trilogy to the point where I can recognize the gameplay staples within the series (i.e. timing mine cart jumps so as to land on lower tracks and snag goodies, carrying barrels as far as possible to find new targets), it satisfied me quite a bit on that level, but not very much on any other. I thought it was downright pathetic that only three Kongs were in a character-centric series, the Tikis were obviously horrible and never provided a sense of rivalry or even sentience, the original characters were demonstrative of Retro's Dreamworks sense of humor, and many level archetypes felt rehashed from the original.

In Tropical Freeze, however, Dixie and Funky return, Dixie and Cranky are far more involved in the main adventure, the Vikings are compelling antagonists due to being reskinned Kremlings (the bosses aren't, and are brilliant as such), and the worlds are packed to the brim with imaginative new archetypes (cheese factory, savannah, ocean abyss, mangrove swamp, etc.) Oh yeah, and Motherf***ing David Wise, too. There's currently discussion on DKVine regarding whether this will top DKC2 as the best DKC of all time thus far, and while I'm in no rush to pass judgment until the recency bias has passed, I definitely think it'll be Top 2.
Damn it, stop making me want to buy this game. STOP IT YOU *******.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm guessing Miyamoto had less involvement in Tropical Freeze than with DKCR, yeah? Seems that way from the sounds of it anyway. Regardless, with how it's being compared now, DKCR was kind of a prototype while this game is the real deal from Retro.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I do sincerely apologize for delayed response, but alas, I was taken up by studies. So anyways, in order to maintain a respectable level of applicability, I have rearranged the placement of my reply from the Social Thread to here.

Likewise, if I'm deflating what people are saying, I'm going to stick out there that K.Rool has no chance. He's not like Bowser; in the long run, he's pretty unimportant to the overall DK series, and he's been a mostly dead character since DK64 with all of his significant appearancs being in Rare games that are not in favor within Nintendo. The character offers very little; he was always just comic relief, and while certainly he could be given an interesting moveset, any moveset he could be given could also be given to just about any other large character. I'm not trying to "hate", but I'm telling you from over a decade of playing these games and observing how they're made, I'm pretty sure K.Rool is exactly the kind of character who has basically no chance of inclusion. Of course that's an irrelevant question to Dixie; the whole "reps" system that I think many fans envision is simply not how characters are decided. If K.Rool were a plausible inclusion (and he's not), he would have no bearing whatsoever on Dixie's potential as a character.
Sweeping generalizations aside (K. Rool having literally no chance? Really?), would you be able to carefully elaborate these two specific claims? (I would understand if you would rather not, as again, my questioning is rather untimely in the asking of it.)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Someone thought about the possibility of K.Rool be in Mario Kart 8?... this could be a chance to reveal him without be a Tropical Freeze related thing... and without count that would be unexpected, since everybody is waiting for Wario...

you know, DK cast was bigger than usual in MK Wii,...with DK, Funky and Diddy... and I can see easily Funky being replaced by K.Rool.. since he could be a heavy racer too.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Someone thought about the possibility of K.Rool be in Mario Kart 8?... this could be a chance to reveal him without be a Tropical Freeze related thing... and without count that would be unexpected, since everybody is waiting for Wario...

you know, DK cast was bigger than usual in MK Wii,...with DK, Funky and Diddy... and I can see easily Funky being replaced by K.Rool.. since he could be a heavy racer too.
I would love for him to become a regular in mario spinoff's

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I can actually agree with this. If you don't want to use him as a boss anymore Nintendo, at least let him have air-time with spin-offs!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm all for getting more DK characters in the Mario Kart games, but only if we can get Wario characters to match.

And get rid of all those ****ing babies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
His jalopy from Wario Land 4 and Shake Dimension is his primary vehicle in Double Dash, though I don't think it made the leap into Wii, since each character only got one unique vehicle and they decided that his chopper was more iconic.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
His jalopy from Wario Land 4 and Shake Dimension is his primary vehicle in Double Dash, though I don't think it made the leap into Wii, since each character only got one unique vehicle and they decided that his chopper was more iconic.
Speaking of vehicles, what would K. Rool's be?

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Dat moped would be top tier.

Seriously, why is it that the Wario series is the only one with canon vehicles to draw from? It's pretty cool that Wario's had his jalopy and his chopper from the games, though.
I'm guessing if you count Waluigi, due to having Wrecking Crew music as his theme in DDR: Mario Mix, as related to Foreman Spike of Wrecking Crew, his main vehicle in MKDS is semi-canon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do sincerely apologize for delayed response, but alas, I was taken up by studies. So anyways, in order to maintain a respectable level of applicability, I have rearranged the placement of my reply from the Social Thread to here.

Sweeping generalizations aside (K. Rool having literally no chance? Really?), would you be able to carefully elaborate these two specific claims? (I would understand if you would rather not, as again, my questioning is rather untimely in the asking of it.)
Regarding to the former statement, it can be argued that K. Rool isn't important in the sense that he could be excluded or demoted and it wouldn't heavily deteriorate the quality of the franchise. On the other hand, I can say similar things for similar villains. For example, King Dedede was only the main antagonist in Kirby's Dreamland, and some spin off titles like Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, while in every other game he's usually treated as just another boss to get through or an ally. Technically you could remove King Dedede in games like Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby Squeak Squad, and such with something else and it wouldn't effect much. In fact, Kirby & The Amazing Mirror excludes the character entirely and nothing is effected from it. I would even argue that K. Rool is more major then King Dedede in that sense, because at least he's the big bad more times instead of just being there for the sake of being there.

As for the latter point, again, character like King Dedede and Bowser could also fall under that similar label too. Though, K. Rool does fluctuate between comedic and threatening somewhat, probably the most notable example being Donkey Kong 64 where he fluctuates between the two the most.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

I've proposed this before as well, and I'd absolutely love to see it happen, especially since Mario Kart hasn't really added a new character that tickles my fancy since the DS installment. At this point, I'd take K. Rool appearing in Metroid if it meant Nintendo would use him somewhere again.

I think a good vehicle for him would be something like a miniaturized pirate ship on wheels, or a large barrel on wheels with a seat dug into it. There's also....whatever this is, from DK: King of Swing:

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The other night I had a dream where King K. Rool was in Tropical Freeze...except instead of serving any important role, he only made a cameo where the screen froze and then he ran across the screen. He didn't even look like himself; no royal attire, no eye tick, and his belly was only a little flabby. And he was carrying Kiddy Kong.

I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to share that.

But seriously, to see K. Rool in a Mario Kart game would be the coolest thing they could do (outside of putting him in Smash). I would buy MK8 pretty quickly if I found out K. Rool was in it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool in Mario Kart would be pretty great, but as far as him actually appearing, I'm very doubtful. It's not even a given that Diddy will be there anymore, and Funky (and Rosalina and Dry Bowser) only seemed to make it into the Wii version for having a similar model to DK (and the others to Peach and Bowser, respectively).

I don't think even the wise guys who have enlightened us that K. Rool is a fat lizard just like Bowser, gaming's most infamous shell-wearing lizard, would claim that he's that easy to develop in Mario Kart. If anything, that's why I'd expect Dixie to become playable in Mario Kart first and foremost, although they might just bring back Funky and call it a day, given the time needed to animate hair flapping in the wind and going upside-down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no doubts Diddy is in MK8.
I mean, it brought back all the Babies. Surely, as someone who was also in MKW, Diddy would return as well.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I have no doubts Diddy is in MK8.
I mean, it brought back all the Babies. Surely, as someone who was also in MKW, Diddy would return as well.
Not to forget his appearance in Double Dash.

Diddy is in for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if Funky were in too. And our DK newcomer is in my opinion really likely to be Dixie.

However it's a bit strange we speak of Mario Kart 8 in the support thread of King K.Rool ôô

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This thread has had topic derailment going on all over the place. Hardly anyone even posts at the Mario Universe forum, which is truthfully, the proper location to bring up stuff involving Tropical Freeze or any Mario Kart contents.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This thread has had topic derailment going on all over the place. Hardly anyone even posts at the Mario Universe forum, which is truthfully, the proper location to bring up stuff involving Tropical Freeze or any Mario Kart contents.
But I don't consider Tropical Freeze info or any DKC content to be related to the Mario Universe in the slightest. Mario Kart is understandable, but not DKC stuff.

Also I hear Lock Jaw Saga is in Tropical Freeze as well. While King K. Rool is absent from the game he sure isn't forgotten. Which makes me hopeful for King k. Rool

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DKC needs it's own universe forum. Even if it's technically a part of the Marioverse, it is more proper to discuss about the DK side in it's own forum.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Usually the time between speculation and release gives me time to question some of the choices I found more likely to begin with.
But strangely enough K. Rool becomes more likely the more I think about him.
As far as DK representation goes, we can all agree that it needs somebody else. But who?
The only three notable options are Dixie, Cranky, and the big man himself.
Dixie Kong seems like the best choice at first glance: Easy semi-clone, relevant because Tropical Freeze, planned for Brawl, etc etc etc. But when you consider Sakurai's character choices as of late, he isn't choosing any newcomers remotely similar to an existing veteran. That being said Sakurai's interest in unique characters is where Dixie suffers the most, since she would obviously play quite similarly to Diddy Kong.
While Cranky has the potential to be unique (Scrooge cane), he is lacking in the importance that K. Rool and Dixie possess, outside of his extremely recent playable role in Tropical Freeze.
So that leaves K. Rool. Not only is K. Rool the most popular option, he is also the most intriguing due to his zany nature and overall interesting and comical personality and potential. No character that I know of can do all of this: throw a boomerang crown, shoot a blunderbuss, fly around with a helicopter pack... The possibilities are endless, and I am very confident now that K. Rool is the one that Sakurai will go for.
Just my two (or three) cents.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Could K. Rool really make an appearance in DKC: TF? I don't think he's going to be the final boss at this rate, but I'm hoping that he could possibly appear at the end credits if you get 100% completion.

I have to admit, I'd rather have the Snomads be the main bad guys instead of them being hijacked by K. Rool. The only villains that deserved to be kicked to the curb by K. Rool were the Tikis, and that was a wasted opportunity to bring him back then. Still, it's not like it's going to weigh into his chances as Sakurai determined the roster back in 2012.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I agree with that mostly, I would love to have King K. Rool reappear but as has been mentioned in the thread already the Snomads have actually been done right so far. They're not like the Tikis which felt completely pointless compared to their predecessors, they actually fulfill the same role while still standing out for themselves. So if King K. Rool makes a reappearance I hope they pull it off well because the Snomads feel like they have potential to be reached and it'd be disappointing to have that not used to their best.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Right after Ridley, K. Rool is the character I want to see the most in the Smash Bros series. I am really hoping he appears in the new games, preferably as a playable character. I am also hoping he appears in Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, just because I think he should be the villain in any DKC games (as much as I liked Tiki Tong, I think he should have been hijacked by Gan... I mean, K. Rool). Anyways, that final battle against him in DKC2 has to be one my favorite battles ever. If he is in Smash 4, I hope his DKC2 battle theme "Crocodile Cacophony" is in the game as well.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Tropical Freeze full opening

The Snowmads seem to be aware of who Donkey Kong is, which is odd. Still not getting my hopes up for a Kremling return, but who knows

Top Bottom