• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
A common argument I've heard against K. Rool being in Smash Bros. is that he isn't necessary because D.K.'s archenemy is supposed to be Mario.

What do you think of that? It's better than some of the "too big" arguments I've heard about him (*cough* GameFAQs *cough*), but it's still stupid.
Mario has a "weak" rivality with DK nowadays, huh?.. You can take Mario vs. DK series as reference for argue about some rivality.. but they're not "fighting to the death" anymore... the real Kong rival for Mario is Cranky, huh?.. but we didn't see how Mario and Cranky behave one with other nowadays.. Nintendo should make this enconter happen though. =P

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A common argument I've heard against K. Rool being in Smash Bros. is that he isn't necessary because D.K.'s archenemy is supposed to be Mario.

What do you think of that? It's better than some of the "too big" arguments I've heard about him (*cough* GameFAQs *cough*), but it's still stupid.
The Mario and Donkey Kong rivalry was, for the most part, short-lived. Of course, Mario was only really the rival to the original Donkey Kong, who is actually Cranky Kong.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Laughable. The DK and Mario rivalry was mostly with the original DK (Cranky Kong) and was rather short lived, his rivalry with the current DK is only really ever shown in the Mario VS Donkey Kong series. If you ask me it's like saying Bowser shouldn't be in Smash because Donkey Kong is Mario's archenemy, but to a bit of a less extreme extant.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
There's been some discussion over at DKVine about Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein being King K. Rool's brothers in Japanese canon, and according to Japanese Wikipedia, that notion didn't even exist before his Brawl trophy description. If this is true, not only did he miss out as a playable character in Brawl, his character got damaged as well.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I read that conversation on DKVine as well. One of the users said that Sakurai has revised characters' trophy information between Smash games, notably changing from treating DK himself as the original arcade Donkey Kong to not mentioning that at all, and having Otacon talk about how his grandfather was the original DK instead.

With that in mind, I wouldn't worry much about K. Rool's character being damaged. Even if that misunderstanding lingers, it's totally a Sakurai move to make King K. Rool's moveset representative of all the K. Rool boss fights, like the Mother characters represent their party members' attacks.

Also, I adore that GIF of Rawk's.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The "Mario rivalry" argument doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of things that can get a character in Smash, and technical rivalries just over complicate things. Besides, I think it's been made pretty clear that the primary antagonist of the Donkey Kong Country series is K. Rool. Mario doesn't even show up in DKC, which is obviously the series that they pull a lot from.

And King K. Rool has been established as a master of disguise. That quirk of his isn't going anywhere.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think the Mario argument is a common one. I've heard it used maybe once before I saw it brought up in this thread. It's a terrible one, for sure, grasping at straws. It's an argument made of desperation, which is to be expected given the fact that there is no rational argument for excluding K. Rool. The closest argument to a sound one would be the relevance argument, which still has more than a few holes in it.

I mean really, if K. Rool can't be included because Mario is DK's "real" nemesis, I guess we can't have Rosalina or Yoshi in the game because Luigi is Mario's "real" companion. See, I can make up rules, too!

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the Mario argument is a common one. I've heard it used maybe once before I saw it brought up in this thread. It's a terrible one, for sure, grasping at straws. It's an argument made of desperation, which is to be expected given the fact that there is no rational argument for excluding K. Rool. The closest argument to a sound one would be the relevance argument, which still has more than a few holes in it.

I mean really, if K. Rool can't be included because Mario is DK's "real" nemesis, I guess we can't have Rosalina or Yoshi in the game because Luigi is Mario's "real" companion. See, I can make up rules, too!
It is pretty ridiculous. I mean, the closest to a definite structure for veteran franchises is main character, fan favorite, villain (and even that only applies to Kirby and Star Fox). And even if that WERE the structure for inductees, SSB64 gave us our main character (DK), and Brawl gave us our fan-favorite (Diddy). Bring on the villain!

I have yet to hear an argument against K. Rool that didn't backfire or at least hold water.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There's been some discussion over at DKVine about Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein being King K. Rool's brothers in Japanese canon, and according to Japanese Wikipedia, that notion didn't even exist before his Brawl trophy description. If this is true, not only did he miss out as a playable character in Brawl, his character got damaged as well.
Oh so the rumor is king k rool was ment for smash bros brawl ok that makes sense.

So what are the links.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I read that conversation on DKVine as well. One of the users said that Sakurai has revised characters' trophy information between Smash games, notably changing from treating DK himself as the original arcade Donkey Kong to not mentioning that at all, and having Otacon talk about how his grandfather was the original DK instead.

With that in mind, I wouldn't worry much about K. Rool's character being damaged. Even if that misunderstanding lingers, it's totally a Sakurai move to make King K. Rool's moveset representative of all the K. Rool boss fights, like the Mother characters represent their party members' attacks.

Also, I adore that GIF of Rawk's.
I don't know very much about the whole idea that K. Rool just had brothers in Japanese canon, but apparently it was enough that one of the former designers for Rare commented on it IIRC, and that he thought that it was dumb and confusing.

It sure does explain why he never changed costumes in any subsequent game after DK64, considering they were being developed by the Japanese firm Paon until Retro took charge.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Laughable. The DK and Mario rivalry was mostly with the original DK (Cranky Kong) and was rather short lived, his rivalry with the current DK is only really ever shown in the Mario VS Donkey Kong series. If you ask me it's like saying Bowser shouldn't be in Smash because Donkey Kong is Mario's archenemy, but to a bit of a less extreme extant.
Bowser isn't in Smash. It's just Donkey Kong in a suit.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Does this mean Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong in a robotic Donkey Kong suit?
No, but K. Rool is Cranky wearing a mask trying to chase everyone off his island so he can get some peace, quiet, and all the bananas to himself. And he would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their stupid Rhino.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Laughable. The DK and Mario rivalry was mostly with the original DK (Cranky Kong) and was rather short lived, his rivalry with the current DK is only really ever shown in the Mario VS Donkey Kong series..
For all we know, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series was all a product of mind-altering hallucinogenic substance abuse (same goes for Jungle Beat). Hence it being revived as Mario and Donkey Kong for its 194th sequel.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
K. Rool unnecessary because of DK/Cranky vs. Mario? Are you effing kidding me? I'll bring up another poster's "does that logic apply to Bowser as well" argument. That does, in fact, mean that Bowser's addition was unnecessary as well. But this is his third Super Smash Bros. appearance.

K. Rool is not only a main character, but is THE definitive villain in Donkey Kong. Even more than the crappy one-shot ones he's had, K. Rool is not only the most recurring, but the most fondly remembered and obvious one as well. K. Rool is awesome. No wonder he's so loved and missed. Nintendo is stupid for choosing to leave him behind for not one, but TWO new Donkey Kong Country games. It's just not fair, damn it. It's not for nothing that I decided to pick up a K. Rool PSA and make a moveset. There's no doubt about it that K. Rool SHOULD have been, and had every reason to be, in Brawl. And guess what? He ends up being a measly trophy again. :p

It's about time that Nintendo and Sakurai got off their big fat butts and allowed the Kremling King a chance to shine.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
King K. Rool vs King Dedede vs Bowser. This needs to happen. It's the closest thing we'll ever get to a Godzilla-styled fight in Smash.

Also that Purple Dragon guy too I guess.

D

Deleted member

Dedede doesn't really fit the "Godzilla style" motif.
Donkey Kong works.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
so, anyone here had already the delirium of think about the concept of the K. Rool reveal trailer?... I did with the Pac-Man one (on the his thread here), but was thinking one for K. Rool... :

-The very beginning should have DK fighting with Mario and maybe some other random in a DKCR based stage (considering that the "mysterious stage" on the 3DS version is from DKCR)... Then, he "feels" that someone is coming,.. and the flag of the Kremling Krew is shown moving through the wind.. (with this theme) DK and the others comes to the edge of the beach, and with a bit more suspenseful showing the ship, K. Rool would finally be revealed with something like this!
[ignore the rest of the video if you want]

an appearance worthy for a king!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
After today's pic, I think the trailer has to be DK, the original superheavyweight, fighting off Melee and Brawl's superheavyweight newcomers in Bowser and Dedede, only to get ambushed by K. Rool, who sails in and proceeds to give him and Diddy a run for their money.

Funny, a lot of the trailer ideas I've been thinking of have been worst case scenario ones, stuff like K. Rool showing up, only for another Kong newcomer to show up and defeat him as a boss, or Ridley showing up on the Pyrosphere and getting the same treatment.

bobadz

Smash Ace
So I just beatt all three DKC games with King K.Rool, and I now support him. I owned dk64 as a child, it was my first n64 game so I have fond memory's of that game, but I never beat it, so I only saw K.rool in cutscenes.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Funny, a lot of the trailer ideas I've been thinking of have been worst case scenario ones, stuff like K. Rool showing up, only for another Kong newcomer to show up and defeat him as a boss, or Ridley showing up on the Pyrosphere and getting the same treatment.
BEHOLD, RIDLEY, TERROR OF THE METROID SERIES...and introducing, ANTHONY HIGGS!

God, that would be worst-worst-worst case scenario.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
BEHOLD, RIDLEY, TERROR OF THE METROID SERIES...and introducing, ANTHONY HIGGS!

God, that would be worst-worst-worst case scenario.
No kidding. I remember reading this theory before Brawl that Assist Trophies and Bosses were additional ways for Sakurai to make fans of characters happy, because allegedly, any appearance of a character is cause for celebration. With that in mind, I don't know that there would be a quicker way to tank my appreciation of this game faster than to do what you just described. For either villain. If they have to be disconfirmed, just do it regularly instead of cockteasing...or Krockteasing.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm curious though, if K.rool isn't in tropical freeze, but Sakurai wants him in the SSB4 do you think Sakurai will request retro studios to make a K.rool design like he did with Sheik?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Is there a K. Rool support icon someone can give me? The only ones other users have are all lumped into one image.

I'm curious though, if K.rool isn't in tropical freeze, but Sakurai wants him in the SSB4 do you think Sakurai will request retro studios to make a K.rool design like he did with Sheik?
That would be amazing.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think Sakurai suggested that they make it. I think that they were working on a Sheik design in their concept art just 'cause and Sakurai decided to use that in Brawl since it better meshed with Zelda's Twilight Princess incarnation.

Am I wrong here?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I learned from Diddy's ranting that there are mixed stories on Sheik in Brawl; it's been said that Sakurai took a Sheik design from the Twilight Princess team in an interview or something, and yet, on some Wiki, it's also been said that Sheik's Brawl design was original. In terms of K. Rool, I dunno if he'd bother working overseas with Retro to make a design the Smash team could probably match or exceed in terms of quality. We'll see what happens, though.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I learned from Diddy's ranting that there are mixed stories on Sheik in Brawl; it's been said that Sakurai took a Sheik design from the Twilight Princess team in an interview or something, and yet, on some Wiki, it's also been said that Sheik's Brawl design was original. In terms of K. Rool, I dunno if he'd bother working overseas with Retro to make a design the Smash team could probably match or exceed in terms of quality. We'll see what happens, though.
I hadn't even thought of them being overseas. That's a big reason not to enlist Retro's help.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I hadn't even thought of them being overseas. That's a big reason not to enlist Retro's help.
Yeah, now granted, I definitely think he'll consult Retro on some series content, but in terms of character design, I don't know if he'll bother when he have his own studio at his fingertips.

Then again, Rare might've designed Donkey Kong in Melee, not entirely sure on that, though. They did design some trophies, but that's a far cry from an entire character, I'd think.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah, now granted, I definitely think he'll consult Retro on some series content, but in terms of character design, I don't know if he'll bother when he have his own studio at his fingertips.

Then again, Rare might've designed Donkey Kong in Melee, not entirely sure on that, though. They did design some trophies, but that's a far cry from an entire character, I'd think.
Well, it seems like Smash's Donkey Kong is a bit different from Tropical Freeze's Donkey Kong, so he may not have consulted them on DK's appearance. If he didn't consult them for DK's appearance, is there any reason to believe that he'd consult them on King K. Rool's?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think if K.Rool was revealed, the trailer should start off as Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong fighting in a double battle and wrecking the competition. Then cannonballs would start barraging. Donkey Kong and Diddy look out to sea and the see K.Rool riding the gangplank galleon aiming directly at them. It then goes to a montage of K.Rool attacking Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong on the ship. K.Rool would defeat both of them and Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong would both be laid out on the ground in front of him while K.Rool laughs. Credits would role and soon after, both Donkey and Diddy would wake up and sock K.Rool in the face sending him flying. :troll:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well, it seems like Smash's Donkey Kong is a bit different from Tropical Freeze's Donkey Kong, so he may not have consulted them on DK's appearance. If he didn't consult them for DK's appearance, is there any reason to believe that he'd consult them on King K. Rool's?
I think, if anything, he'd contact Nintendo HQ for K. Rool's character design direction. Retro, to our knowledge, hasn't ever worked with the character (there may have been conceptual designs, but if there were, they were scrapped). He'd probably want to know how Nintendo wishes for the character to be portrayed, especially since they haven't used him in so long.

Top Bottom