• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Alright, they're up to something. Whether it be an actual Metroid game or DKCR3, they are up to something.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Wolf is the only one they WOULDN'T make, because he's a veteran.

I agree. If most of the top rated newcomers get in as Mii Fighters, something is wrong, because then who are they going to add as DLC?
"Most" implies that not all of the top rated newcomers would be Mii Costumes in this hypothetical scenario. So, for DLC, they would add the portion of top rated newcomers that were not added as Mii Costumes.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If all the front runners were to become costumes, it could be a good sign, or a dreadful sign of what's to come. Good sign, as explained, would be because clearly, all of the people they think will sell are being turned into costumes first to milk the profit. The dreadful sign being that the worst of fears have been confirmed, and Sakurai is cherry picking the characters he wants from the ballot, and is completely ignoring the demand for other characters.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The dreadful sign being that the worst of fears have been confirmed, and Sakurai is cherry picking the characters he wants from the ballot, and is completely ignoring the demand for other characters.
I'm not singling your post out here or anything, Raxxel Raxxel , it's just that you're the most recent person to mention it...

The thing is, I'm really curious at this point as to where this concern about cherry-picking has come from. Am I the only one who feels relatively reassured by the fifteen years of precedent set by the polls and ballots that went before this one?

I mean, Ganondorf, Wario, Dedede, and Sonic all got in precisely because of those, right?

The only difference that I'm aware of is that this ballot is available in multiple languages.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I'm not worried about the polls at all. That's also why I'm confident in Rool, and the Mii Fighter costume was created just as an extra bonus.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
That's true, but Wolf is not playable in the game yet. Same reason I don't think they'll do Ice Climbers either.
I can understand Wolf, but considering that Ice Climbers are impossible unless you do SoPo, which I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't willing to do, a Mii Costume would be the right way to pay homage to them. Either that or bring back Icicle Mountain or Summit.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I really hope that Retro is working on DKCR3 even if it means waiting for Metroid...

Had to let that out, since I'd be crucified for saying it anywhere else.
Retro has already done a trilogy on Metroid, so I think it's reasonable to assume that they will at least create a trilogy for Donkey Kong Country.

I remember Kensuke Tanabe expressed interest in doing a more 3D Donkey Kong. I wasn't the biggest fan of DK64, but I would be interested in such an endeavor if they hope they tackle it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That moment when two of my favorite Donkey Kong characters are finally Smashified. Today is a great day for DKC fans everywhere.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can understand Wolf, but considering that Ice Climbers are impossible unless you do SoPo, which I'm pretty sure Sakurai isn't willing to do, a Mii Costume would be the right way to pay homage to them. Either that or bring back Icicle Mountain or Summit.
Ice Climbers I can possibly see. I just think Sakurai might feel the fans would think it was in bad taste as it'd be a "replacement" for them as a character.

Retro has already done a trilogy on Metroid, so I think it's reasonable to assume that they will at least create a trilogy for Donkey Kong Country.

I remember Kensuke Tanabe expressed interest in doing a more 3D Donkey Kong. I wasn't the biggest fan of DK64, but I would be interested in such an endeavor if they hope they tackle it.
I think Retro would be amazing at a 3D DK game, either a straight 3D DKC, or an evolved DK64 with one large explorable world, but focusing on more accurate DK gameplay and not the puzzle mechanics from 64.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I've gotten the EXACT same feeling as well. After Returns and Tropical Freeze, we'll get a modern Returns-era game focused primarily on science to serve as an "unintentional" "next-gen" counterpart to DKC3, and after THAT, we get a Returns-era game to serve as the modern counterpart to DK64. I would hope for EITHER of these games to serve as our hypothetical "time-traveling" DK game. How hype would that be?!

That moment when two of my favorite Donkey Kong characters are finally Smashified. Today is a great day for DKC fans everywhere.
Finally! She's Smashified!!!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With regard to Sakurai and cherry-picking, people passively detracting K. Rool like to say "his popularity doesn't matter because, because in Melee, he chose Zelda before Ganondorf and left out Dedede and Wario, see? Popularity isn't everything, nyah!" Thing is, while that's true down the list of popular characters in the number three, four, five spots and so on, Sakurai's always made it a point to add the top character or top few characters...Bowser, Peach, Sonic, Dedede, Mega Man, Mewtwo, etc.

With the possible, possible exception of Inkling, I think we've got a death grip on the top most-voted Nintendo newcomer spot.

Considering I'm going to a concert tonight, I may or may not be around for the dropping of whatever potential bombshell comes tonight. In light of this, I'll just put this video here, as it's especially relevant as the ballot draws to a close.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
With regard to Sakurai and cherry-picking, people passively detracting K. Rool like to say "his popularity doesn't matter because, because in Melee, he chose Zelda before Ganondorf and left out Dedede and Wario, see? Popularity isn't everything, nyah!" Thing is, while that's true down the list of popular characters in the number three, four, five spots and so on, Sakurai's always made it a point to add the top character or top few characters...Bowser, Peach, Sonic, Dedede, Mega Man, Mewtwo, etc.

With the possible, possible exception of Inkling, I think we've got a death grip on the top most-voted Nintendo newcomer spot.

Considering I'm going to a concert tonight, I may or may not be around for the dropping of whatever potential bombshell comes tonight. In light of this, I'll just put this video here, as it's especially relevant as the ballot draws to a close.

To be fair though, once a popular character is added, they are still a popular character. I am sure you can see where I am going with this. While King K. Rool is undeniably the most popular character not currently in the game, does he really hold a candle to popular characters in the game such as Bowser? As a Donkey Kong fan, I would like to exclaim, "of course!" However, I just do not believe that to be the case if I am to be entirely honest. Diminishing returns. King K. Rool is just less necessary than Bowser was a decade ago.

Popularity matters, but it is not a be all, end all, attribute either. As you stated, Sakurai has always made it a point to add a top character. He already has and I am certain that with or without King K. Rool, he will add another. I want King K. Rool as much as the next guy, but he needs more than just popularity to make that happen. And fortunately for us, he does.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
If retro is working on a new DKC there's HIGH chance K. Rool will be in smash, IF he's in the new dkc. Which I'm assuming he will be, and if not we baby rage. lol

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
honestly the idea of the ballot existing just to make mii costumes would be.... a ****ing terrible idea.
like, why hype it up if all we get are more lousy mii costumes (dont get me wrong, the mii costumes we have? pretty cool. but as the prize of a ballot would be... anticlimatic to say the least. and sounds far too much a waste of everyones time.)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
honestly the idea of the ballot existing just to make mii costumes would be.... a ****ing terrible idea.
like, why hype it up if all we get are more lousy mii costumes (dont get me wrong, the mii costumes we have? pretty cool. but as the prize of a ballot would be... anticlimatic to say the least. and sounds far too much a waste of everyones time.)
If that happened, I'm pretty sure some angry fans would kill Sakurai. The ballot is for characters, not Mii costumes. Sakurai would be throwing his life away by just making mii costumes from the ballot instead of making actual characters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If that happened, I'm pretty sure some angry fans would kill Sakurai. The ballot is for characters, not Mii costumes. Sakurai would be throwing his life away by just making mii costumes from the ballot instead of making actual characters.
Or rather just throw it all away by making a ballot in the first place that was supposed to be for new characters, not Mii costumes.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Since the fighter ballot is coming to an end, I decided to create a fighter ballot poll for the Chicago Smash 4 community, since I thought it would be a fun way to see which characters people would be interested in for the Chicago community. (I'm not posting the poll in here until it's over because I don't want us to skew the results.) The poll is doing great and over 90 people have voted for the character they have wanted so far.

With that said, I'm well known in the Chicago Smash 4 community for being the biggest supporter there of King K. Rool for Smash 4. However, even though a few others support him and he's currently third on the Chicago fighter ballot poll, a lot of people have antagonized me for supporting King K. Rool and they also think I'm the only one that really wants him. They've said some toxic things like "Don't support King K. Tool" and "He's an ugly character", and it's really sad to see that I have to be antagonized just for liking a character.

As a Charizard main who goes to tournaments and has a hard time making it out of pools in monthlies, I just want to play as Charizard because he's my favorite character in the game and I want to push him to the limit. King K. Rool is also one of my favorite characters in video games, and he has so many legitimate reasons to be added to Smash that it's sad when people bash on me for wanting to main him too. I don't care about character viability, but I really do wish that people would stop being so negative and closed minded on which characters they want to see in Smash.

If King K. Rool does get into Smash, then the joke is on them since I never bash anyone for their character choices no matter how ridiculous they are. Some people in Chicago think characters like Knuckles and Crono are legitimate options, and even though I and many others see how unlikely they are, I never bash on them for wanting such characters because there's no reason to put others down for having a dream character. It just creates a toxic environment and makes character speculation way less fun and productive for everyone.

Does anyone else have a local Smash community where others are so negative about your most wanted character? Because it's sad that people feel the need to yell at others for something as pity as wanting a character in a video game. If a character gets into Smash, then I feel like Sakurai has seen something in that character that makes them worthwhile to add. King K. Rool has a ton of positive things going for him, so for Sakurai to say "from here on out, it will be fan-service" and then not include such a highly demanded character as King K. Rool would be a huge slap in the face to fans. If I'm really the only person who wants King K. Rool, then why is he the most requested first-party newcomer worldwide? It's so frustrating to deal with people like that, I'll literally cry tears of joy if King K. Rool gets revealed. I and many others have been waiting for so long for King K. Rool that it's got to the point where it's been a painful process, with occurrences like the Mii costume and his "irrelavance" adding fuel to the fire. Our finest hour will come soon enough, hopefully.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Croc fact of the day #8675309: the false gharial is now classed in the family Gavialidae (after tons of genetic and fossil research), making it a true gharial. I kind of like the sound of false false gharial, though. Don't have time to go super in-depth today. Sorry guys. ):

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
I don't think there will be any new fighters revealed tonight or tomorrow. But the Ballot ending is HYPE for us. We are the most wanted first party character out there, and that says a lot! You'd think Nintendo would be thrilled and glad that we want one of their characters so badly instead of third party / indie ones.

I am feeling extremely confident in our chances. And all of you have done so outstanding and superb with this Kampaign. I believe our hard work is about to pay off... :)

Zynux

Smash Lord
I think Retro would be amazing at a 3D DK game, either a straight 3D DKC, or an evolved DK64 with one large explorable world, but focusing on more accurate DK gameplay and not the puzzle mechanics from 64.
I've gotten the EXACT same feeling as well. After Returns and Tropical Freeze, we'll get a modern Returns-era game focused primarily on science to serve as an "unintentional" "next-gen" counterpart to DKC3, and after THAT, we get a Returns-era game to serve as the modern counterpart to DK64. I would hope for EITHER of these games to serve as our hypothetical "time-traveling" DK game. How hype would that be?!
Maybe they will opt to try and tackle a 2D + 3D DK where over the course of the stage you change perspectives. Don't know how well such a mechanic would work but with their love for gimmicks like going back and forth in the foreground I could possibly see them at least consider it.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Just came in to say don't get your hopes up. I expect them to take a little longer with this stage only because of how it's structured. If it's never the same each time you play it, that usually means it'll take a little more memory and such to generate a level each time it's selected. This isn't a past stage or a new one, this stage is in its own criteria in terms of structure and design, a step above the rest.

Not that I'm getting it, though. Mario doesn't tickle me too much, and stages really don't interest me as much as characters.

Hold strong, Kutthroats.
The Dream Never Dies.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Maybe they will opt to try and tackle a 2D + 3D DK where over the course of the stage you change perspectives. Don't know how well such a mechanic would work but with their love for gimmicks like going back and forth in the foreground I could possibly see them at least consider it.
Well, for my idea on a Returns-era game serving as a modern counterpart to DK64, I'm hoping they still make full, free world roaming the BIGGEST emphasis for the game like DK64 itself did back in 1999. I would also hope it has an entertaining, (somwehat) complex story like DK64 did as well. Heck, DK64 is what made me give King K. Rool TONS more respect as a villain. That is, if his intimidating, demonic voice in the same game didn't do it first!

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted here in a while, but I'm glad to see it's still active.

I genuinely think we've got a good shot of winning the ballot. On top of that, I'm pretty positive they won't just be making the first place winner into a character. I'm sure we'll at least get the top 3.

I do wonder when we'll get the results though. On one hand, they could probably give them to us immediately after the poll ends, but on the other hand, they may want to wait until they actually have something to show us before they reveal anything.

On the subject of the poll, does anyone else find it strange that Nintendo has barely mentioned the poll itself since it started? I don't even think they've brought it up a single time since it was announced.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I expect them to take a little longer with this stage only because of how it's structured. If it's never the same each time you play it, that usually means it'll take a little more memory and such to generate a level each time it's selected. This isn't a past stage or a new one, this stage is in its own criteria in terms of structure and design, a step above the rest.
But both versions of the game already have several stages that are randomly-generated and are different each time you play them. As far as I know, this one is no different to those apart from its visual style.

its the final stand guys lets there is not much time left,dont let k rool get left in the dark again,vote! vote! vote!
spread k rool things on twitter,facebook,4chan,tumblr,reddit,everywhere you can.

lets show them that we want k rool,ask for retweets from big names like playtonic,steve mayles(k rools creator) etc

and when bellboy finishes his artwork(greatly looking forward to it :) ) lets spread it like wildfire!

do whatever you can,lets not get left in the dust waiting for the ballot to end instead lets step up our game and make everything more "krool"

@bkuppa666 enjoy your concert,but when you get back for these last few days post as much as you can on twitter about k rool,post artwork,show off poll results and whatnot until october 3rd

when you enter him for the ballot dont just talk about how much you want him or how popular or how he deserves to be in the game....try to talk about why he would be unique from the other characters.

lets not slow down yet until its over,just 1 final push kutthroats...we can do this...we can finish what we started,accomplish our goal and give k rool the treatment that he rightfully deserved but didnt get.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman

I genuinely think we've got a good shot of winning the ballot. On top of that, I'm pretty positive they won't just be making the first place winner into a character. I'm sure we'll at least get the top 3.

I do wonder when we'll get the results though. On one hand, they could probably give them to us immediately after the poll ends, but on the other hand, they may want to wait until they actually have something to show us before they reveal anything.

On the subject of the poll, does anyone else find it strange that Nintendo has barely mentioned the poll itself since it started? I don't even think they've brought it up a single time since it was announced.
What I hope they do for the results is give us them ASAP, but put question marks for the top 10 or 20, so they can keep the "winners" as surprises.

EDIT: TropicalBreeze TropicalBreeze These facts of the days are great! Who knew I'd learn something supporting a fictional character to get them into a game about beating up plumbers and fat, hammer carrying penguins.

Last edited:
just for the good old times,here is every k rool drawing i have made so far in ms paint all in 1 image,click to zoom in for more detail...everything was drawn by hand i may not be the best but i tried as hard as i could.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I also find it weird, perhaps it is because they want "valid" results from dedicated players that are willing to go out of their way and vote despite the discretion.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Added another vote, hadn't voted since april, feels good.
I do think the King has a good shot at winning, but who knows if only the number of votes will count, or other things will be considered as well. For all we know this could be Sakurai picking a character from the top contesters that he feels would add more to the game or whatever.
I just hope we get the results, whatever they are, soon and don't have to go to a hiatus until next year or something.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
So I made one last draw for my top 3 Ballot characters. My number #1 is King K. Rool. I wanted to make more, but time was getting shorter.

King K. Rool is the character I have drawn the most this year. I can make it from memory at this point (with some creative liberties). This was a fun experiment with patterns in Photoshop and I almost wish I could redo it to make it even better.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; looks like we're only getting the Mario Maker stage from what I'm seeing and based on the fact Sakurai nor the Japanese smash bros twitter page hasn't posted anything new since the announcement about the stage. To be honest, I could be wrong; maybe Sakurai is hiding some some sort of secret from us and will surprise us? Maintenace being an hour and a half can't be for one stage, you know. :o

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
^ We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not holding my breath and expecting too much. If we get something bigger from this, then awesome.

Top Bottom