• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well.... Other then that Mario Maker stage and the possibility of Pirate Ship foreshadowing K. Rool or even Shantae, this update felt like a bit of a flop. Not really a fan of Mii Costumes, so they aren't significant to me in my view. Also, Sakurai can't keep us under a character drought forever. At least one is long overdue.

Last edited:
just 3 more days guys anything can happen.
dont give up hope just yet,sakurai is a crafty guy...we dont know whats up his sleeve it might be a supprise.

we are kutthroats we dont give up,we take a beating but we always get right back up,we go down with our ship or our island...even if everything fails we come back fighting.

no dissapointment till we know the truth.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Looked at what was in the update

Ok fogured it was not just the mario stage and

Alright the pirate ship atleast we no have a athentic stage if we get the king

Oh speaking of which pirate ship stage near the ending of the ballot and the king is a pirate

In a way 2 teases for the king now

The mii suit and now a pirate ship stage (even though its not a DK stage.)

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
More mii costumes based on actual fighters is fine by me. There really is no argument left to me made against K.Rool just because he has a mii costume.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This is probably nothing but the K. Rool character costume and the Fox character costume are done in the exact same style as each other.

Look at the other costumes and you'll notice the character hat is usually that characters head enveloping the person's head like a circle, or are just the "hair" part of the costume. With Fox and K. Rool it's the top half of their head being used as a hat and ONLY the top half. They're the only 2 like that.

Go to the DLC index page to see for yourselves:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html
Unfortunately, you're right that it doesn't mean anything.

The Fox hat that's part of this outfit is derived from the one in the 3DS' StreetPass Mii Plaza, as several of the other hats and masks are.

(Source.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is probably nothing but the K. Rool character costume and the Fox character costume are done in the exact same style as each other.

Look at the other costumes and you'll notice the character hat is usually that characters head enveloping the person's head like a circle, or are just the "hair" part of the costume. With Fox and K. Rool it's the top half of their head being used as a hat and ONLY the top half. They're the only 2 like that.

Go to the DLC index page to see for yourselves:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/index.html
The only similarity I see is both of them are using N64 design - DK64 and SF64. :laugh:

:231:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well, that was anticlimactic. Again.

I'm starting to get really nervous. It seems those two empty 'Mario's are still not full, which makes me think that those are the two characters we'll get, end of story. With only two, and the hard-to-shake rumors of them being Wolf and Shovel Knight, I don't know what to think anymore.

I still don't think Fox and Falcon costumes mean anything for K.Rool, since there is a fundamental difference. Like Link, Megaman, Samus, &c., those characters were already in the game BEFORE the Mii costume came out. K.Rool is in the same boat as the Inklings, Toad, Viridi...the characters who are not in but have costumes, despite having loads of requests. K.Rool definitely has the best chance out of any newcomer since he's so requested, but if PushDustIn is right, they've already decided on their ballot character.

Kudos to them for keeping this one quiet, but I liked it better when they announced things so we didn't have to get hyped by leaks, and then let down. Getting let down because we know 90% of the stuff is better than getting let down since we hype ourselves up too much.
Ok first of all I believe that shovel knight and wolf rumor was saying they were pre-ballot (atleast i think thats what it said)

Second of all unless the pirate ship and all of those costumes are said in the rumor i'm Pretty sure the runor is ot holding much water.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Kutthroats, I have an important question. Is there a wave bundle for today's DLC?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm bitter sweet about the pirate ship stage from brawl returning. On one hand, it is a unique stage that's fun to play on so it's cool to have it back. On the other hand however, why put all the songs on it that are already in the other zelda stages from the default game? this also kills the chances for a gangplank galleon stage(which in my opinion would've been way better since it's bigger and has way better music than wind waker's ship) which I'm really disappointed by. I'm not expecting a Flying Croc stage either, at this point, I'll just be glad if K. Rool actually makes it in the game as a character.

That being said, I bought it anyway.

The Toad costume and Mario Maker stage are prett cool though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Kutthroats, I have an important question. Is there a wave bundle for today's DLC?
Yes. The bundles, as listed in the EU 3DS DLC shop, are "Collection #4" (consisting of all of the new outfits and stages), and "Mii Fighter Costume Bundle #4" (which is self-explanatory :laugh:).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep costumes and and "2" stages

Mario maker is the first

And your going to love sakurai for this if you loved this stage from brawl but

The pirate ship from brawl is the other stage.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unfortunately, you're right that it doesn't mean anything.

The Fox hat that's part of this outfit is derived from the one in the 3DS' StreetPass Mii Plaza, as several of the other hats and masks are.

(Source.)
I still think it'd be really cool if in a firmware update the K. Rool hat is added to StreetPass Mii Plaza!

EDIT: ****, I think he made be on to something. Yeah, the Fox Hat is derived from Miiverse, but that's NOT THE POINT. The point is that K. Rool's hat looks like it could be derived from Miiverse too, even though it doesn't exist. Meanwhile, the AC characters have it wrapped around the entire head instead of it just being a hat.

Ok first of all I believe that shovel knight and wolf rumor was saying they were pre-ballot (atleast i think thats what it said)

Second of all unless the pirate ship and all of those costumes are said in the rumor i'm Pretty sure the runor is ot holding much water.
Yeah, what kills it is how could a future update like an unannounced character get leaked, but not this update? And people HAVE tried to "leak" Mii Fighter costumes and stages, there was a "leak" that did that, but it was total BS.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I'm bitter sweet about the pirate ship stage from brawl returning. On one hand, it is a unique stage that's fun to play on so it's cool to have it back. On the other hand however, why put all the songs on it that are already in the other zelda stages from the default game? this also kills the chances for a gangplank galleon stage(which in my opinion would've been way better since it's bigger and has way better music than wind waker's ship) which I'm really disappointed by. I'm not expecting a Flying Croc stage either, at this point, I'll just be glad if K. Rool actually makes it in the game as a character.

That being said, I bought it anyway.

The Toad costume and Mario Maker stage are prett cool though.
There could be another pirate ship stage in the game. Nothing stopped them from adding two Temple stages from Zelda and Kid Icarus.

EDIT: On the other hand, if we got a Flying Kroc stage or Kremling Isle from DK64, my heart would soar in high places.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
There could be another pirate ship stage in the game. Nothing stopped them from adding two Temple stages from Zelda and Kid Icarus.
That's true, plus DK has 2 jungle stages in this game. (well 3 if you count the 3-DS one from melee.)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I still think it'd be really cool if in a firmware update the K. Rool hat is added to StreetPass Mii Plaza!

EDIT: ****, I think he made be on to something. Yeah, the Fox Hat is derived from Miiverse, but that's NOT THE POINT. The point is that K. Rool's hat looks like it could be derived from Miiverse too, even though it doesn't exist. Meanwhile, the AC characters have it wrapped around the entire head instead of it just being a hat.
Oh whoah! I see! :eek:

Holy...

Everybody does know that StreetPass Mii Plaza's hats are frequently used to promote new games, right? :laugh:

EDIT: It doesn't detract from the point, but the Animal Crossing character hoods could be derived from their non-wraparound equivalents in StreetPass Mii Plaza, as well. I haven't checked, admittedly.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Thanks for the info. If there wasn't a bundle, I'd have speculated that we'd be getting another character soon. But that is not the case.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Well despite a lacklustre and rather deflating update, I do believe that one good thing (future wise) has come from today.

I believe I was wrong about K. Rool's Mii Fighter costume being a complete deconfirmation. This selection of Mii Fighter costumes has given me the impression that they haven't payed any attention to the ballot results yet, and wont until it's over. Furthermore, the addition of even more Smash Vets becoming Mii costumes leaves K. Rool in something of a unique position to be in as he's essentially the only massively-popular Mii Fighter costume from 1st Party Nintendo.

I do think there's still a good chance of getting more preballot content that was worked on between Ryu, Lucas and Roy's releases in June and the ballot finishes in a couple days. It doesn't take a whole DLC team 4+ months to make 2 stages and a few skins. I would guess that they're sitting on some more content to fill the gaps between now and when the ballot characters start getting released. We probably won't see any real ballot content until December or November at the very earliest. They need time to go through the ballot and decide who they're going to use before they start.

It will be interesting if anything becomes of anything in this rumoured Oct 14th direct.

Granted I'm only speculating, this is all opinion. Above all else though I DO think the Kremling King still has as good a shot as ever of being included as a DLC character.

let's make a ballot for MONTHS to only add 2 newcomers?

not sure about that..
I don't really foresee much more than 2 characters picked from the ballot either way. I'm sure the ballot is also in part for Smash 5.

My guess, is we're either getting 2 pre-ballot characters and roughly 2 or so ballot characters (this goes back to the unused slots found in April) or we're just getting 2 more characters and they're ballot picks.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well despite a lacklustre and rather deflating update, I do believe that one good thing (future wise) has come from today.

I believe I was wrong about K. Rool's Mii Fighter costume being a complete deconfirmation. This selection of Mii Fighter costumes has given me the impression that they haven't payed any attention to the ballot results yet, and wont until it's over. Furthermore, the addition of even more Smash Vets becoming Mii costumes leaves K. Rool in something of a unique position to be in as he's essentially the only massively-popular Mii Fighter costume from 1st Party Nintendo.

I do think there's still a good chance of getting more preballot content that was worked on between Ryu, Lucas and Roy's releases in June and the ballot finishes in a couple days. It doesn't take a whole DLC team 4+ months to make 2 stages and a few skins. I would guess that they're sitting on some more content to fill the gaps between now and when the ballot characters start getting released. We probably won't see any real ballot content until December or November at the very earliest. They need time to go through the ballot and decide who they're going to use before they start.

It will be interesting if anything becomes of anything in this rumoured Oct 14th direct.

Granted I'm only speculating, this is all opinion. Above all else though I DO think the Kremling King still has as good a shot as ever of being included as a DLC character.

I don't really foresee much more than 2 characters picked from the ballot either way. I'm sure the ballot is also in part for Smash 5.

My guess, is we're either getting 2 pre-ballot characters and roughly 2 or so ballot characters (this goes back to the unused slots found in April) or we're just getting 2 more characters and they're ballot picks.
And if we've got only 2 more characters, I DON'T think Wolf is coming back.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know, guys; Gangplank Galleon isn't completely out of the running. One thing I noticed is that while Pirate Ship has a ship that MOVES, the Gangplank Galleon is STATIONARY when Donkey Kong battles K. Rool in DKC 1 and in DKC 2, it's SHIPWRECKED as Diddy/Dixie explore it at the start of the game. I wouldn't worry guys; I still think that's the stage we'll get if K.Rool is truly confirmed, as there's enough differences from Pirate Ship so that Gangplank Galleon does not conflict with similar elements. Also, a bit of a fun fact; the mario maker stage is literally flat, and there's no 3D elements to it if you pause and try to rotate the camera around. If I'm not mistaken, that's either the first or second time this has been done (I believe Duck Hunt was flat, but correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Final stretch time. May not make my deadline because it's been a little chaotic at home (things come up as they typically do...)

But I only have a few more items to do.

I hit a common stumbling block last night where I've made something larger than most can handle*. Found a PNG compressor- got it down from 8-point-something MB to 2-point-something. How does it look, quality wise?

*It's the reason why I've been uploading JPGs recently. Imgur auto-converts past a certain size. Not this time though.

____
Updates and intentions.
Items left
  • Smash Brawl trophy. Need to find a spot... (getting cramped)
  • Crystal Banana
  • The chain hold DK suspended.
  • KAOS (He'll be in the storm to the right of the pic.)
  • The rest (K. Rool's belly button and DK's tie)
Pipe dreams

• Blast-o-matic (the table is full and I already have boxing gloves and the "neo" Crocodile Isle.)
  • Gangplank Galleon and Kastle Kaos (it's getting very cramped and my idea for KKaos...was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. And K. Rool in all in his...magnificence(?)... is a thing of beauty. It shan't be marred.)
  • Dixie (I saw a request for DIxie. The idea came up early on but I couldn't think of a fitting way to confine her. Even Diddy was kind of lucky. My initial idea for him was a cramped steel cage. It...didn't work... Oh well. We need some heroes out there, I suppose.)
A'right. I'm out.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Alright. Final stretch time. May not make my deadline because it's been a little chaotic at home (things come up as they typically do...)

I hit a common stumbling block last night where I've made something larger than most can handle*. Found a PNG compressor- got it down from 8-point-something MB to 2-point-something. How does it look, quality wise?

*It's the reason why I've been uploading JPGs recently. Imgur auto-converts past a certain size. Not this time though.
looks awesome, if this was a poster I'd probably buy it.

P.S. glad you added a tail on the kritter heheh.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

May i ask

Whats missing?

I don't see any more to do in this photo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
And if we've got only 2 more characters, I DON'T think Wolf is coming back.
I think Wolf is literally 50/50. 2 characters or 4 characters. It could be that one of those 2 characters files back in April is for him, and that he was planned to launch alongside SF0's initial release date in November. It's not completely unreasonable considering Smash just promoted Mario Maker with a stage, and Falco's Amiibo was delayed to coincide with SF0.

Wolf is the last veteran who has absolutely no reason to be excluded bar time constraints. But he could be this game's Mewtwo.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, this update wasn't great from a content standpoint (though YAY PIRATE SHIP), but it is passively good news for K. Rool, specifically the idea of his costume being pre-ballot. For starters, rather than consisting of ballot-requested characters (say, Isaac, Krystal, Chibi-Robo, Shantae, etc.), it's the same grab bag of assorted Nintendo and third party characters, all still with pre-existing models from elsewhere. K. Rool is still the outlier he was among the earlier costume batches, which is all the more important when, so close to the ballot's end, they would have presumably started adding other 'also-rans' if they were using the costumes for consolation prizes.

What's more, with SMM and Pirate Ship, we have filled in the last two remaining stage placeholders left in the coding that also had the two Mario placeholders. Unless we get no other stages with the ballot characters, and that's a distinction exclusive to Ryu (an unlikely proposition if one or more characters come from new series like he did), we not only have proof that the coding can be updated, but that everything in the coding right now is pre-ballot. Therefore, we have at least two characters left, but the odds of there being more beyond that seem better now than they did before.

Not to say that there'll be a ton (still sticking with my guess of three newcomers plus Wolf), but this should raise spirits in here in any case.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, if our Ballot DLC consisted of this, I think it'd be a great way to cap off Smash 4;

• Ridley, King K.Rool and Wolf as characters
  • Tallon IV as a new stage, Venom and Kongo Jungle as returning stages
  • Mega Man Volnutt, Guile, Eggman, Adam Malkovich and Andrew Oinkonny as costumes

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also, a bit of a fun fact; the mario maker stage is literally flat, and there's no 3D elements to it if you pause and try to rotate the camera around. If I'm not mistaken, that's either the first or second time this has been done (I believe Duck Hunt was flat, but correct me if I'm wrong).
Strictly covering Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U, I think it's the fifth time in total for these particular games - in addition to those you listed, the former has Flat Zone 2, and the latter has Flat Zone X, and Smash Wii U has Pac-Land as well, which also has the same effect. ;)

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, this update wasn't great from a content standpoint (though YAY PIRATE SHIP), but it is passively good news for K. Rool, specifically the idea of his costume being pre-ballot. For starters, rather than consisting of ballot-requested characters (say, Isaac, Krystal, Chibi-Robo, Shantae, etc.), it's the same grab bag of assorted Nintendo and third party characters, all still with pre-existing models from elsewhere. K. Rool is still the outlier he was among the earlier costume batches, which is all the more important when, so close to the ballot's end, they would have presumably started adding other 'also-rans' if they were using the costumes for consolation prizes.

What's more, with SMM and Pirate Ship, we have filled in the last two remaining stage placeholders left in the coding that also had the two Mario placeholders. Unless we get no other stages with the ballot characters, and that's a distinction exclusive to Ryu (an unlikely proposition if one or more characters come from new series like he did), we not only have proof that the coding can be updated, but that everything in the coding right now is pre-ballot. Therefore, we have at least two characters left, but the odds of there being more beyond that seem better now than they did before.

Not to say that there'll be a ton (still sticking with my guess of three newcomers plus Wolf), but this should raise spirits in here in any case.
Actually there is one stage placeholder left. Pirate Ship isn't on the 3DS.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
But we got Duck Hunt ported over from the Wii U. ;)
Yes, there were 14 files which made room for 7 stages (because of Omega forms).

-Sazuku Castle
-Kirby's Dreamland
-Zelda's Castle
-Peach's Castle
-Mario Maker
-Duck Hunt
-???

(I'm awful with stage names so forgive me if these aren't 1:1 accurate)

Baring in mind that it IS technically possible that the forward and backward icons took up 2 of those 14 spots too. I've never been able to get a straight answer about that.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yes, there were 14 files which made room for 7 stages (because of Omega forms).

-Sazuku Castle
-Kirby's Dreamland
-Zelda's Castle
-Peach's Castle
-Mario Maker
-Duck Hunt
-???

(I'm awful with stage names so forgive me if these aren't 1:1 accurate)
You are quite right. I miscounted. :laugh: Sorry about that!

Top Bottom