• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm imagining how wonderful it'd be if K. Rool's victory theme was a remix of the refrain from "K. Rool's Finest Hour".

Post your face when etc.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Awesome. Glad to know that I'm not the only Godzilla fan around here. Glad you got the reference. But it isn't from that compilation of trailers.

It is actually from THIS.

Pretty cool quote, one of my favorites that I liked to us for me, hehe. And in a way, fitting for not only Godzilla, but some Nintendo villains.

Not sure if on K.Rool as I don't picture as more of a power-guy but more of a technique-one like som many people have said in this thread.

Who knows if that's how he'd turn up on the game, but it wouldn't be surprising IMO, if he did.
I knew it sounded familiar, now I really need to start marathoning the big g's movies again for halloween.

The Lanky Kong is looking seriously depressed. I guess he has no style, no grace, but he still has a funny face.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think this ties into what you said about the novelty factor wearing off, heh.
The difference between Lanky and someone like WFT or Rob is that Lanky is actually a popular character that many people grew up with. Characters like WFT are novelty because their inclusion had no other purpose aside from being a surprise. They were a surprise because they weren't highly requested, they weren't characters people always dreamed of pitting against other Nintendo icons. Lanky is the kind of character people want, it's just no one think it'll happen because of his lack of relevance.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Characters like WFT are novelty because their inclusion had no other purpose aside from being a surprise.
"...both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were not selected solely because they can show off their eccentricity. They each have their own individual fighting styles and strategies, and make the game more fun." - Sakurai

Seriously, I'm tired of this stupid misconception.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
"...both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer were not selected solely because they can show off their eccentricity. They each have their own individual fighting styles and strategies, and make the game more fun." - Sakurai

Seriously, I'm tired of this stupid misconception.
Firstly, I never said anything about Villager. Villager is from a massively successful franchise and was a high popular/requested character that people wanted in the game. WFT is not a character anyone wished they could pit against other characters.

I really dislike Sakurai using moveset to justify including a character no one wanted over ones that people did want. It's not as if he sticks strictly to canon moves, the guy improvises moves when he could've used canon. He could've just made a fun and unique moveset for any requested character.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
One of the most exciting things about the update will definitly be everyones reactions.

For all we know, we might not be getting a character, only the Mario Maker stage and maybe some more Mii costumes.
Maybe we'll get Wolf, who everyone expects. Maybe we'll get some character who came out of the blue, but is a welcome addition to the roster. Maybe we'll get a character that disappoints a fair number of people, but is beloved by a small niche group of fans.

Maybe they'll talk about the ballot, maybe they'll make us wait a few days.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me.

EDIT: Goddammit, I wanted to post this in the DLC character discussion thread, which is open in another tab. Goddammit. Goddammit. Is there no way to delete your own posts?

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Firstly, I never said anything about Villager. Villager is from a massively successful franchise and was a high popular/requested character that people wanted in the game. WFT is not a character anyone wished they could pit against other characters.

I really dislike Sakurai using moveset to justify including a character no one wanted over ones that people did want. It's not as if he sticks strictly to canon moves, the guy improvises moves when he could've used canon. He could've just made a fun and unique moveset for any requested character.
Villager was simply part of the quote. I know he's irrelevant to this.

It's fine dislike non-requested characters being added to the game, that's your opinion. However, claiming that they were only added for the sake of cheap novelty due to being surprising is blatantly false. And so is the claim that Sakurai must somehow be able to easily envision movesets for any character.

"To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.” This is a big factor. Of course getting permission and understanding from the original creators is necessary, but whether the image of the character in my head is dancing powerfully, or not. This is of the utmost importance. On the contrary, no matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."

Chrom is a good example of a character he just couldn't envision a unique moveset for, and thus ended up including Robin instead.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The difference between Lanky and someone like WFT or Rob is that Lanky is actually a popular character that many people grew up with. Characters like WFT are novelty because their inclusion had no other purpose aside from being a surprise. They were a surprise because they weren't highly requested, they weren't characters people always dreamed of pitting against other Nintendo icons. Lanky is the kind of character people want, it's just no one think it'll happen because of his lack of relevance.
Whatever you say, friend...~

I'd just rather K. Rool or Dixie.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If Lanky was announced, I would be disappointed. To me, Lanky in Smash screams "DK REP", as he is pretty much as important as Chunky or Tiny, that being that they had an important role in one main series DK game, then just became background and spin-off fodder. Sorry, but if he made it in before K. Rool or Dixie, I would see it as a sign of Sakurai not getting the point of why we want those two in the first place.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
"On the contrary, no matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."

Chrom is a good example of a character he just couldn't envision a unique moveset for, and thus ended up including Robin instead.

Could post dark pit too, but I think this gets the point across just fine.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Could post dark pit too, but I think this gets the point across just fine.
Difference is that she was designed to be an alt for Marth. The fact that she has differences is, in itself, contrary to Sakurai's concept design.

Chrom can't be compared. He was designed to be a full-fledged newcomer with his own moveset and distinct abilities, but Sakurai decided that he didn't think he was that different to the other Fire Emblem characters.

Imagine if Sakurai decided that a new DK character was a good idea and he reckoned Donkey Kong Jr would work. Then he decides DK Jr isn't that different to DK, so he decides to go for K. Rool instead.

Then imagine he made Chunky Kong a distinct character instead of a costume for DK the way he was intended in the roster. That's clones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Lanky was announced, I would be disappointed. To me, Lanky in Smash screams "DK REP", as he is pretty much as important as Chunky or Tiny, that being that they had an important role in one main series DK game, then just became background and spin-off fodder. Sorry, but if he made it in before K. Rool or Dixie, I would see it as a sign of Sakurai not getting the point of why we want those two in the first place.
Eh, what I want is a Donkey Kong character with an unique fighting style who helps me relive memories of my favorite games ever.

King K.Rool is the embodiment of this all, but Lanky Kong definitely is also fitting this bill!

Therefore, Lanky would hype me to no end! He might actually get bonus points for being unexpected...

[/quote]

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Villager was simply part of the quote. I know he's irrelevant to this.

It's fine dislike non-requested characters being added to the game, that's your opinion. However, claiming that they were only added for the sake of cheap novelty due to being surprising is blatantly false. And so is the claim that Sakurai must somehow be able to easily envision movesets for any character.

"To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.” This is a big factor. Of course getting permission and understanding from the original creators is necessary, but whether the image of the character in my head is dancing powerfully, or not. This is of the utmost importance. On the contrary, no matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."

Anyone who's watched the DKC cartoon knows how capable of dancing K. Rool is, heh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Honestly, if Lanky was in, I'd be really happy. After K. Rool, of course.

DK64 was my first (and only, don't kill me) DK game. When I first played it, I didn't think much of Lanky; he was the weird clownish character so I preferred to use Tiny or Diddy. But since I've been in this community, I recently picked up DK64 again, and I forgot how much fun it was. Especially the sound Lanky makes when he does the high jump.

Also, I loathe Tiny's new design.

Now, for my two cents into the clone argument rehash - if you don't care, skip the rest of the post:
I do not like the clones. Usually, I only accept a clone if I like the clone more than the parent character, so Ganondorf was it, and even now he's getting irritating since Hyrule Warriors showed us what could have been. I'd have preferred they be cut. Smash is a game of quality over quantity, and I don't think inflating the roster by three makes it better.
I accept that those three didn't prevent Ridley or K.Rool. The thing I don't accept is the argument that they took only 5 seconds of dev time and we got a free gift. Case in point: What I'd rather have had them do with the dev time that was Dark Pit
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique crowd chant, I'd have given one to Toon Link. TL (and by extention, Link himself) are now the only characters in Smash history to share a crowd chant
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit three unique victory poses, I'd have rechecked animations to fix problems like Link's item-raising anim. When Link raises a special flag, he clips his entire face through his arm, which is really sloppy. This from one of the only characters who's parent game involves him holding up items habitually.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique victory theme, I'd have given one to Ganondorf. Meta Knight, and now Bowser each have rock remixes of their home themes to show their dark sides. Ganondorf stands out since he doesn't.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit unique recolors, I'd have made sure to make a shiny recolor for Lucario and Charizard. There is really no excuse for not including that.
In each case, the replacement is pretty much taking the same dev time. I'm not saying that I want Ridley, K.Rool, and Wolf instead of the clone brigade (I do, but that's not the argument), but I recognize that they take time to do. After all, Robin's Palutena codec is pretty insulting to Chrom fans considering the addition of Dark Pit in the first place.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
King K. Rool is a playable character in this game.

Kaptain K. Rool is a clone in the next game.

What a world that'd be.

What a wonderful world...

Also, I loathe Tiny's new design.
Coincidentally there's another character called Tiny who received a redesign and everyone loathes it.

Case in point: What I'd rather have had them do with the dev time that was Dark Pit
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique crowd chant, I'd have given one to Toon Link. TL (and by extention, Link himself) are now the only characters in Smash history to share a crowd chant
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit three unique victory poses, I'd have rechecked animations to fix problems like Link's item-raising anim. When Link raises a special flag, he clips his entire face through his arm, which is really sloppy. This from one of the only characters who's parent game involves him holding up items habitually.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit a unique victory theme, I'd have given one to Ganondorf. Meta Knight, and now Bowser each have rock remixes of their home themes to show their dark sides. Ganondorf stands out since he doesn't.
  • Instead of giving Dark Pit unique recolors, I'd have made sure to make a shiny recolor for Lucario and Charizard. There is really no excuse for not including that.
Those are good ideas imo. I would've also used the dev time used on DP and Lucina to things like those you mentioned.

What a world that'd be.

Indeed... although Kaptain would probably receive hate just like the clone trio of this game.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

What a world that'd be.

Hey, if they do that for K. Rool, they'd need to do the same for Masked Dedede. It's never gonna happen. :laugh:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Villain clones, eh?

*whispers* Dry Bowserrrrrr

(Source.)

:laugh:

Ok, seriously, though, this actually makes me wonder, if we ever saw clones of the heavyweights, would it attract less ire than the existing clones because there are considered to be fewer heavyweights, or would it attract more because "lol heavies are fat and stupid and useless"? :p

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

(Source.)

:laugh:

Ok, seriously, though, this actually makes me wonder, if we ever saw clones of the heavyweights, would it attract less ire than the existing clones because there are considered to be fewer heavyweights, or would it attract more because "lol heavies are fat and stupid and useless"? :p
Bit of both.

I don't care, Kaptain K. Rool is beautiful.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, if clones "take zero development time and are like free desserts," what's stopping the team from releasing King K. Rool packaged in with a Kaptain clone? Nothing mechanical, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Speaking of Kaptain K. Rool, I found this awesome piece of artwork that was posted in the early days of this thread.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Both Tiny Kong and Tiny the Tiger's redesigns sucked. The former is just a half***ed attempt at appealing to teenage girls with a design equally as "try hard" as Candy Kong. As for the latter, let's just say that changing a Tasmanian tiger into a literal tiger makes as sense as turning King K. Rool into a frog in a future DKC title. They were better characters in the old days, which is such a shame since I've been dreaming for the day the developers would stare into the mirror and realize what they've done was wrong.

Both Tiny Kong and Tiny the Tiger's redesigns sucked. The former is just a half***ed attempt at appealing to teenage girls with a design equally as "try hard" as Candy Kong. As for the latter, let's just say that changing a Tasmanian tiger into a literal tiger makes as sense as turning King K. Rool into a frog in a future DKC title. They were better characters in the old days, which is such a shame since I've been dreaming for the day the developers would stare into the mirror and realize what they've done was wrong.
Completely changing Tiny Tiger's personality might've been even bigger reason why he was hated in Titans.

Speaking of frogs, when I first saw a picture of K. Rool, I though he was Wart. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

They should just do an entire smash bros game dedicated to K.Rool
SUPER SMASH B.ROOTHERS
Roster
KING K ROOL
KAPTAIN K ROOL
BAROON K. ROOLESTEIN
BOXER K.ROOL
SNOW MAD ROOL
TIKI K.ROOL
KING K. TOOL
COUNT K. RACOOLA
KING K. ROY
DAR K. ROOL
CH.ROOLM
DR. ROOL
K. ROOL MAN
BANDANNA K. ROOL
WAK.ROOL
NEON K.ROOL
K.ROOL ON A BUS
K.ROOL WITH A STAND
Still no Dixie
PAPER K.ROOL
TOON K.ROOL
HYPER REALISTIC K.ROOL
and so on and so on.

SUPER SMASH B.ROOTHERS
Roster
KING K ROOL
KAPTAIN K ROOL
BAROON K. ROOLESTEIN
BOXER K.ROOL
SNOW MAD ROOL
TIKI K.ROOL
KING K. TOOL
COUNT K. RACOOLA
KING K. ROY
DAR K. ROOL
CH.ROOLM
DR. ROOL
K. ROOL MAN
BANDANNA K. ROOL
WAK.ROOL
NEON K.ROOL
K.ROOL ON A BUS
K.ROOL WITH A STAND
Still no Dixie
PAPER K.ROOL
TOON K.ROOL
HYPER REALISTIC K.ROOL
and so on and so on.
Where's Kommunist K. Rool, Metal K. Rool and Pink Gold K. Rool?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
SUPER SMASH B.ROOTHERS
Roster
KING K ROOL
KAPTAIN K ROOL
BAROON K. ROOLESTEIN
BOXER K.ROOL
SNOW MAD ROOL
TIKI K.ROOL
KING K. TOOL
COUNT K. RACOOLA
KING K. ROY
DAR K. ROOL
CH.ROOLM
DR. ROOL
K. ROOL MAN
BANDANNA K. ROOL
WAK.ROOL
NEON K.ROOL
K.ROOL ON A BUS
K.ROOL WITH A STAND
Still no Dixie
PAPER K.ROOL
TOON K.ROOL
HYPER REALISTIC K.ROOL
and so on and so on.
10/10 would def main 'Still no Dixie'

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where's Kommunist K. Rool, Metal K. Rool and Pink Gold K. Rool?
You have to wait for the sequel SUPER SMASH B.ROOTHERS MELEE

Aside from those 3 the sequel will also include:
K.RANKY ROOL
KING K.ROOBIN
BABY K.ROOL
NAZI K.ROOL
K.ROOL CHILENO
EL KOKODRILO
K.ROOL KLIMBERS
SUPER SAIYAN K.ROOL
K.ROOL AS A CAPTAIN FALCON CLONE
HIPSTER K.ROOL