• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wolf, Dee, Isaac, Inkling and Snake are gone... I think someone has been eliminating K. Rool's kompetitors there on purpose. I wonder who.... :smirk:
Not sure who would do such a thing. Heck, the person who eliminated Wolf, Dee and Snake was giving Isaac points. You're not suggesting he was doing it because he knew the riled other posters would then eliminate Isaac for him, are you? Madness.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Why do so many people think that K Rool & Inkling are automatically deconfirmed for having wii outfits when Link & Samus have them too?

Not sure who would do such a thing. Heck, the person who eliminated Wolf, Dee and Snake was giving Isaac points. You're not suggesting he was doing it because he knew the riled other posters would then eliminate Isaac for him, are you? Madness.
No... I was suggesting that maybe some guys, totally not K. Rool fans, voted off almost every popular character except K. Rool. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Souless?

I really dislike the hate towards the competitive community in this thread. I never hear competitive players complain about casual play, but I always hear casuals criticising people for playing the game a different way than they do. Casuals act as if their way is the only way to have 'fun'. Competitive players play competitively because they find that more fun, I don't know why people find that hard to understand. The casual community, by and large, is also way more rude and disrespectful when they play. Competitive players will normally shake hands during sets, and won't taunt out of respect. Most players on For Glory will taunt everytime they get a kill, which is basically mocking a stranger when you one-up them.

People only caring about K. Rool as a tool for winning money? Unless K. Rool is a top 5 character (which he most likely won't be if they developers keep him true to his character) the only people playing him will be fans of the character, or people who just find his playstyle really fun. There are competitive players who solo-main mid-low tiers, knowing that they're lowering their chances of winning money, but stick with the character anyway. That takes way more 'soul' than playing a low tier in casual play, when you won't get punished for picking a sub-optimal character, and there's nothing on the line anyway.
Yeah, I can see the point you're making about the mid-tier competitive mains, and don't mean to paint the entire competitive scene with a broad stroke. I'm mostly talking about the top players who just flip-flop between whoever the top character is...Diddy, Sheik, whoever to win, instead of going the distance with their favorite character. Which is all well and good for people trying to win money (although it's irritating when people like ZeRo make videos saying "haha don't play as Bowser, choose Sheik"), but then you have these legions of followers who strive to reach that level and act as know-it-all jerks along the way..."WHY ARE YOU WANTING MORE FAT USELESS HEAVY BOTTOM TIERS WHEN YOU COULD BE PLAYING SHEIK ON FOR GLORY LIKE ME??!?!?" K. Rool is a major target of that, and that's certainly not coming from the people who say they'll be having fun with him regardless of viability.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I doubt K. Rool would be a high tier.

But really, I don't care. He can't be as bad as Zelda.
:laugh:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Why do so many people think that K Rool & Inkling are automatically deconfirmed for having wii outfits when Link & Samus have them too?
Ah, T'smash community, she love to assume thin's. Like when thar were Mewtwo and Lucas trophies in the game, people assumed they had no hope o' returnin'. Yet here they be. Kaptain K. Rool still 'as much of a chance as them.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ya-harr! Many merry International Talk Like A Pirate Day greetin's to ye all, be ye landlubbers or fellow Kutthroats! I have some fan-art to share with ye, drawn by meself during Smashboards' downtime.

Ahem... That's quite enough of that. :laugh: Anyway, wanting to improve at cartooning, I picked up Pokemon Art Academy for the 3DS, which is basically just an "Art Academy: Cartoonists' Edition" with Pokemon reference artwork. During the downtime, I decided to put what I've picked up so far to use, and decided to draw a squat little Kremling wearing an outfit like Dedede's.

This was the result. I've named him Kopycat. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I don't realy care what happens to the K.Rool subforums if he gets confirmed.

And that's because once speculation is over, i will depart from these boards since my purpose would be done. Although i may return once the next Smash game is announced (if that ever happens)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah, I can see the point you're making about the mid-tier competitive mains, and don't mean to paint the entire competitive scene with a broad stroke. I'm mostly talking about the top players who just flip-flop between whoever the top character is...Diddy, Sheik, whoever to win, instead of going the distance with their favorite character. Which is all well and good for people trying to win money (although it's irritating when people like ZeRo make videos saying "haha don't play as Bowser, choose Sheik"), but then you have these legions of followers who strive to reach that level and act as know-it-all jerks along the way..."WHY ARE YOU WANTING MORE FAT USELESS HEAVY BOTTOM TIERS WHEN YOU COULD BE PLAYING SHEIK ON FOR GLORY LIKE ME??!?!?" K. Rool is a major target of that, and that's certainly not coming from the people who say they'll be having fun with him regardless of viability.
It's easy for casuals to say that though because they don't play at a level where they're punished for playing a lesser character. Many people start off maining lesser characters but change to a top tier months later because of the frustration of being held back.

It's not just that they don't win, it's that the gameplay experience is less fun when you're constantly losing with a bad character. Most lower tier characters tend to be simpler in design, with less options to explore.

If you're playing a heavy, it's feels incredibly oppressive versing a high level player using a rush down character. You make one mistake and you spend more than 10 seconds trying to DI out of their combos, only to be presented with a very small frame window to escape having the cycle start again. There is huge pressure on you to turn any hit you land into 50% because if you make the smallest mistake you're going to take at least 50% in return.

Casuals complain about projectile spammers, but at least you have control of your character for most of the match. I guarantee if they versed high level players using rush down characters like Falcon or Pika they'd complain even more because they would not have proper control over their character for like 75% of the match.

It's not a casual's place to criticise competitive players from steering away from characters like heavies. Heavies are good in casual play because they're simple. Their strengths are funnelled into stats rather than option diversity or technical abilities and they punish hard. But at a competitive level, unless you're much better than your opponent, you're gaming experience is highly compromised in terms of the options you have available to you and the time you have proper control of your character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's easy for casuals to say that though because they don't play at a level where they're punished for playing a lesser character. Many people start off maining lesser characters but change to a top tier months later because of the frustration of being held back.

It's not just that they don't win, it's that the gameplay experience is less fun when you're constantly losing with a bad character. Most lower tier characters tend to be simpler in design, with less options to explore.

If you're playing a heavy, it's feels incredibly oppressive versing a high level player using a rush down character. You make one mistake and you spend more than 10 seconds trying to DI out of their combos, only to be presented with a very small frame window to escape having the cycle start again. There is huge pressure on you to turn any hit you land into 50% because if you make the smallest mistake you're going to take at least 50% in return.

Casuals complain about projectile spammers, but at least you have control of your character for most of the match. I guarantee if they versed high level players using rush down characters like Falcon or Pika they'd complain even more because they would not have proper control over their character for like 75% of the match.

It's not a casual's place to criticise competitive players from steering away from characters like heavies. Heavies are good in casual play because they're simple. Their strengths are funnelled into stats rather than option diversity or technical abilities and they punish hard. But at a competitive level, unless you're much better than your opponent, you're gaming experience is highly compromised in terms of the options you have available to you and the time you have proper control of your character.
There's many different levels of play in between obsessive money-matching top players and item-spamming stage hazard-loving casuals...the sort of middle player who cares about winning and practices to improve, but doesn't care about tournaments or anything of that nature, for example. The only environment where heavyweights are not as viable is at the very top level, and it's not as though they couldn't be with a competent balance team. Even if there are times while playing them that can be rough for people trying to improve (button-mashy U-Tilt combos), the payoff of potentially getting a read into a shield break or an F-Smash is so worth it for heavyweight mains, including myself.

So, when you have the people at that top stage and/or trying to get there talking down to everyone else about how 'casual' they are for using heavyweights or how stupid they are for wanting more in the game, it very much is the place of those players to tell that tiny minority off. Place? They aren't entitled to have everyone else defer their preferences to them just because they have a big Twitch stream or have spent hundreds of hours pouring over frame data. As much as he takes it to the opposite extreme of treating the competitive players like freaks of nature, Sakurai has it right where he recognizes how many other ways there are to have fun playing as Nintendo's all-stars.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Ya-harr! Many merry International Talk Like A Pirate Day greetin's to ye all, be ye landlubbers or fellow Kutthroats! I have some fan-art to share with ye, drawn by meself during Smashboards' downtime.

Ahem... That's quite enough of that. :laugh: Anyway, wanting to improve at cartooning, I picked up Pokemon Art Academy for the 3DS, which is basically just an "Art Academy: Cartoonists' Edition" with Pokemon reference artwork. During the downtime, I decided to put what I've picked up so far to use, and decided to draw a squat little Kremling wearing an outfit like Dedede's.

I love this to pieces. Great work!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Keeping up with my theme of posting references to DK and our beloved King from other sources here's something cool!

I play Smite which is a MOBA similar to LoL but better imo. It has various gods from real world religions rather than made up characters. Sobek the god of the Nile has a skin that's certainly inspired by King K. Rool! Hi Rez studios who develop Smite love pop culture refrences in the game and make them often!
image.jpg

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Keeping up with my theme of posting references to DK and our beloved King from other sources here's something cool!

I play Smite which is a MOBA similar to LoL but better imo. It has various gods from real world religions rather than made up characters. Sobek the god of the Nile has a skin that's certainly inspired by King K. Rool! Hi Rez studios who develop Smite love pop culture refrences in the game and make them often!
View attachment 74148
I can't like this enough.

It looks so much like an impossibly cool kool version of the Kaptain.

:231:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

View attachment 74148
I was looking through SMITE, being interested in the game by being a better LoL (which I really dont' care for) and I was browsing the various gods. The one I was looking for was the Mayan version of Quetzlcoatl and then I found Sobek. Flipping through his skins I found one that reminded me exactly of Kaptain K. Rool. I look for reptilian characters, you see...incase people didn't figure that out already.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I was looking through SMITE, being interested in the game by being a better LoL (which I really dont' care for) and I was browsing the various gods. The one I was looking for was the Mayan version of Quetzlcoatl and then I found Sobek. Flipping through his skins I found one that reminded me
exactly of Kaptain K. Rool. I look for reptilian characters, you see...incase people didn't figure that out already.
Speaking of KuKulKhan (Quetzacoatl) he's getting a Rayquaza skin soon!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Really!? Like the actual Rayquaza? Frickin sweet!
Some of the lines are actually references to Pokemon.
"Indeed! A Wild Kukulkan has appeared!"
"Catch me? Haha! Don't be ridiculous!"
"Gotta gank 'em all!"

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So, I know I've made variants of this before, but lets put this in the most general terms. What if Nintendo decided to act upon his dedicated core, and to expand his fanbase by having K.Rool make a sudden resurgence in spinoffs and crossovers? Obvious stuff is Smash, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, and Mario Kart, but what if he somehow showed up in Project X Zone 2(which now has Nintendo characters), or something similar? Perhaps a new DK spinoff as well, all leading up to a new DK game of course.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't really see a Project X Zone 2 appearance being likely, since those games use characters who look more like realistic humans (give or take) - they don't even use Sonic or Pac-Man.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So, I know I've made variants of this before, but lets put this in the most general terms. What if Nintendo decided to act upon his dedicated core, and to expand his fanbase by having K.Rool make a sudden resurgence in spinoffs and crossovers? Obvious stuff is Smash, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, and Mario Kart, but what if he somehow showed up in Project X Zone 2(which now has Nintendo characters), or something similar? Perhaps a new DK spinoff as well, all leading up to a new DK game of course.
I'd be really happy to see it.

I do agree with Megadoomer Megadoomer that the likes of Project X Zone 2 are probably unlikely, but stuff like, say, Skylanders is a likely place for a crossover with a third-party franchise, what with DK and Bowser putting in an appearance soon, and other characters having been considered before them, with a possibility of the same happening again in the future, too.

cothero

Smash Lord

View attachment 74148
THAT IS BADASS!

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Given how DK has always been a part of the Mario world in terms of spinoffs, K. rool could easily be seen there. (K. rool in Project X Zone 2 would be hype as well.)

Kould he Klobba dat kursed puffball? Nice artwork by the way. :kirby:
I don't realy care what happens to the K.Rool subforums if he gets confirmed.

And that's because once speculation is over, i will depart from these boards since my purpose would be done. Although i may return once the next Smash game is announced (if that ever happens)
I hope we'll see each other again some day.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The K. Rool sub-forum will become a second home to me if it's ever established. I intend to play K. Rool for funsies if he's revealed.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So our mark is still the 30th?
For now, yes. We're getting the SSM stage and we're on good authority that a second surprise stage is coming, which leads us to believe that we are getting a full blown final Pre-Ballot DLC wave, and it's likely we will receive a character or two prior to the Ballot closing, the winners of such being announced, and Smash 4 DLC speculation coming to a close.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

View attachment 74148

Very cool pic his face reminds me of Meta Ridley expecially his eyes

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For now, yes. We're getting the SSM stage and we're on good authority that a second surprise stage is coming, which leads us to believe that we are getting a full blown final Pre-Ballot DLC wave, and it's likely we will receive a character or two prior to the Ballot closing, the winners of such being announced, and Smash 4 DLC speculation coming to a close.
I think we all can say then...
''Thank God....''

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I had a dream last night that I came on here and saw on the news page that we got 3 new DK stages. 2 out of 3 were ships, one being Gangplank Galleon in all its retro snes glory and the other a tiki ship from DKCR. The third was the Frantic Factory stage from DK64. Everyone in the comments section were saying that K. Rool is definetley coming . Was hyped until I realized that we'd be getting at least one of those stages if it were true.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, expecting a information blowout on Mario Tennis: Ultra slam within a month perhaps as part of a direct. We still need an NA release date, it's one of the big 3 of Western holiday titles now alongside Xenoblade and technically Amiibo crossing. They're planning a bunch of new characters, and I feel that may be part of the reason we've heard so little may be because they wanted to connect it to the ballot in some way. Also expecting Ballot news at the end of the month as well, since it ends on a saturday, I expect the direct announcement that week
Reason this is relevant here is because I think the reasoning behind the MTUS radio silence is because they plan a dual reveal of K.Rool in that and Smash. I mean he's a shoe-in choice wise especially with all the confirmation of fan demand

I mean, who here would get Mario Tennis Ultra Slam if it had K.Rool(and perhaps one of the Kremling Commanders as well)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There's many different levels of play in between obsessive money-matching top players and item-spamming stage hazard-loving casuals...the sort of middle player who cares about winning and practices to improve, but doesn't care about tournaments or anything of that nature, for example. The only environment where heavyweights are not as viable is at the very top level, and it's not as though they couldn't be with a competent balance team. Even if there are times while playing them that can be rough for people trying to improve (button-mashy U-Tilt combos), the payoff of potentially getting a read into a shield break or an F-Smash is so worth it for heavyweight mains, including myself.

So, when you have the people at that top stage and/or trying to get there talking down to everyone else about how 'casual' they are for using heavyweights or how stupid they are for wanting more in the game, it very much is the place of those players to tell that tiny minority off. Place? They aren't entitled to have everyone else defer their preferences to them just because they have a big Twitch stream or have spent hundreds of hours pouring over frame data. As much as he takes it to the opposite extreme of treating the competitive players like freaks of nature, Sakurai has it right where he recognizes how many other ways there are to have fun playing as Nintendo's all-stars.
You can definitely win with heavies even at a high level. You just need to be a lot better than your opponent. Unless of course you're DK or Bowser, in which case you just have to grab or jab them at 80% and it's a free kill.

I don't think top players telling people not to play heavies really affects that much. Casuals such as yourself, who don't frequent tourneys but may turn to videos for improvement won't change mains because of a video. It'll be the people who get more fun out of winning and exploring more complex playstyles. That type of person is likely to switch to a top tier a few months after constantly getting combod into oblivion as their favourite heavy. Like I said before, it's not just you lose, it's also less fun because you lose so much control of your character.

And yeah, people criticising casual players is out of line, but that's not what we were originally talking about.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how many here are Football fans but whether you are or aren't this is phenomenal. I myself am a die hard Minnesota Vikings fan (really hoping K. Rool gets a purple and gold skin)

It's cool to see how many people have been influenced by games more specially Nintendo. Travis Kelce is a Tight End of the Chiefs and I was watching redzone at a friends house on Sunday and saw his TD celebration come up. I instantly said that's the giant punch from Smash!!!! Well later the next day lol
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewziegler/donkey-kong-touchdown-punch

Please watch the Vine at the bottom lol DK Rap for the win!!!
That is pretty awesome. I know alot of people who are really into football and smash so I'll have to tell them.

Thanks guys...! Thanks for the welcome...! Glad to be a part of all of you, and be One of US, (or ONE OF YOU).

I suppose, I mean, I'm Giga Kaiju, initials GK.
Looking at my claws, I guess I could be one of your-in-laws. :p

Anyway, greatly appreciated.
I absolutely LOVE the quote in your signature, when I read it I instantly think about Godzilla and reading it in this voice:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
You know what, I'm calling it now Nintendo Direct on September 29, holiday direct, Mario Tennis blowout, some sort of major VC release setup to increase hype, and Smash Ballot news/initial winners.
Least that's my thought, also my reasoning is the Super Mario Maker level comes out on the 30th, Tuesday is a prime direct day, the ballot ends on that Saturday, but any initial characters are already chosen, even if the others come later

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That is pretty awesome. I know alot of people who are really into football and smash so I'll have to tell them.

I absolutely LOVE the quote in your signature, when I read it I instantly think about Godzilla and reading it in this voice:

Awesome. Glad to know that I'm not the only Godzilla fan around here. Glad you got the reference. But it isn't from that compilation of trailers.

It is actually from THIS.

Pretty cool quote, one of my favorites that I liked to us for me, hehe. And in a way, fitting for not only Godzilla, but some Nintendo villains.

Not sure if on K.Rool as I don't picture as more of a power-guy but more of a technique-one like som many people have said in this thread.

Who knows if that's how he'd turn up on the game, but it wouldn't be surprising IMO, if he did.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That's an impressive-looking K.Rool, I must say.

As a matter of fact...

Inb4 K.Rool, if he does become playable, the pose of his will be like that Fan-Made Amiibo. :4dk:

Top Bottom