• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Some will get TOO angry with the roster results, that's a thing for sure.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I asked if they would rather have Dixie or K.Rool (as an experiment).

It's evenly split with a couple people saying they want both.

I'd love to see Rool, but I'm very much interested in seeing Dixie, and in all honesty, I think at this point she has a better shot due to Tropical Freeze, the potential for a tag team mechanic with Diddy, and the fact that she's been playable in more games than anyone else from the series besides DK and Diddy themselves.

But hey, K. Rool would be pretty sweet too. DK needs a villain rep, its the only major series that doesn't have one in Smash besides Fire Emblem.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Of course, how could I forget? I always forget Metroid is considered a major series because it only has 1.5 reps in Brawl.
Yeah, really goes to show how much it deserves another rep. Either way, that's off-topic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't even call Zero Suit Samus half a character. To me, it seems logical they added Diddy and Zero Suit Samus as newcomers for DKC and Metroid in Brawl.

To keep it on-topic:

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Some will get TOO angry with the roster results, that's a thing for sure.
I will have to accept how the roster will look like at the end but until then, I'll just continue to predict who is a plausible choice and who has a real chance of getting in, refering to what we know from previous games. I know that I will not have every character right, but at least I hope to be right with 1-2 characters :p

Back to topic.
Maybe tomorrow they reveal King K.Rool because he's not in DKC:TF and no one expects his reveal as a newcomer in SSB4 on tomorrows Nintendo Direct :p

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool in Tropical Freeze or the 3rd Retro DKC game would be nice, but I'd really like to see a prequel to the original DKC that takes place in the events before K. Rool's feud with the Kongs. It could focus on Cranky (in his prime) and his friendship with K. Rool, and explore the Kremean War, previous Kremlings who held the title of Master, and how K. Rool rose to power. Cranky Kong Country.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool in Tropical Freeze or the 3rd Retro DKC game would be nice, but I'd really like to see a prequel to the original DKC that takes place in the events before K. Rool's feud with the Kongs. It could focus on Cranky (in his prime) and his friendship with K. Rool, and explore the Kremean War, previous Kremlings who held the title of Master, and how K. Rool rose to power. Cranky Kong Country.
I'm sure all of the Tsunami Wrestling, Skydiving Without a Parachute, and High-Altitude Wing Walking would make that game a real blast to play.

Also, stumbled upon this earlier...well worth a watch or two.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That Tropical Freeze intro movie was awesome! Anyone seen it?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, there was what looked to be some kind of big Walrus guy covered in shadows in the Tropical Freeze intro movie who covered DK Island in ice, so I'm guessing he's the last boss. Too bad, since he seems to be just another fat animal king, so I don't see why it couldn't have been K. Rool.

Either way, it looked great.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Walrus? There was a gaint ice dragon or bird that froze over DK Island. It looked awesome!

For whoever didn't see it:

Gonna watch this again and again. :) DK having his birthday is also pretty... cute. Even though DK was acting like a huge **** against Kirby on the Rosalina-reveal trailer by poking him like that. :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is "Viking Guy." Needless to say, he's Diet K. Rool. He's meant to do everything K. Rool could do, just...without being him. Like Tiki Tong, but less godawful. And because he's heavy and has a deep voice, people will call him badass and claim that it's okay for him to be there so that "things are fresh," despite him almost certainly being a one-off on the level of Tiki Tong or the Cactus King. You know, the same predictable one-off pattern that's far more formulaic than anything the Kremlings ever did.

Ah well, at least Dave Wise has cooked up what seems to be a great theme for the Vikings...it has hints of Lockjaw's Saga in there if you listen closely.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So guys, it seems a lot of the characters are based off of character archetypes in Smash Bros.

Wii Fit Trainer is a straight forward attacker.
Rosalina is your simple character with a support (character), like Eddie in GG.

If K. Rool was archetype would K. Rool be=???
A high risk/high reward rush down character=???
An atypical tank=???
A zany tanker=???

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
^I imagine him being more or less like Bowser in that matter, only with more proyectiles.

Anyway, now that Rosalina is in, do you guys think that her role in the latest mario games influenced at all in her inclusion as PC? If thats the case, that could give Dixie the edge over our King. I know Sakurai probably decided the roster way before both games, but is still something to think about.

I have said it before and ill say it again: I like Dixie, but K.Rool deserves to be PC over her.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm still processing the Rosalina reveal, but my perspective as of now is that Rosalina was added out of the Mario series contenders because none out of Jr./Toad/Paper Mario/Waluigi really stood out above the rest, allowing Sakurai to swoop in and choose a different character he found unique. That's not the case within the DK series; K. Rool has been far and away the preferred DK candidate for years, to the point where even Sakurai took note in his Brawl journal. Granted, now that Rosalina is in, I'm going to start considering important new appearances in my predictions more than I previously had, and Dixie qualifies. Even so, that's still not an automatic fast-pass into Smash for her, and certainly not a blow against K. Rool either.

D

Deleted member

I don't think that Rosalina's reveal hurts King K. Rool hurts him by any means. Rosalina is important to the Mario universe, is popular within the Mario universe, and was seen by Sakurai as a unique character. The same can be said about King K. Rool in the Donkey Kong universe. None of the new villains today in the Donkey Kong will have the same importance as King K. Rool nor do they have the popularity as him. Also, King K. Rool is by far one of the most unique characters that Sakurai can choose; not including him would be an absolute mistake. Seeing as how the Mario characters had to get confirmed before Rosalina did, I am just patiently waiting for Diddy Kong to get confirmed now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, and there being five Mario characters now ought to be proof enough that DK will be getting at least three this time around. Not that most people were doubting that, but still.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think all the Rosalina confirmation does for K. Rool is make the qualifications for being a newcomer more clear. Obviously, King K. Rool needs to have some talent that no one else can do (or be the best at doing a specific talent), and that talent has to transcend into a whole moveset.

King K. Rool does a lot, so I think than rather to combine everything he does into one set, I think we'll be more successful if we pick one aspect of this diverse character and expand upon it.

D

Deleted member

I'm still processing the Rosalina reveal, but my perspective as of now is that Rosalina was added out of the Mario series contenders because none out of Jr./Toad/Paper Mario/Waluigi really stood out above the rest, allowing Sakurai to swoop in and choose a different character he found unique. That's not the case within the DK series; K. Rool has been far and away the preferred DK candidate for years, to the point where even Sakurai took note in his Brawl journal. Granted, now that Rosalina is in, I'm going to start considering important new appearances in my predictions more than I previously had, and Dixie qualifies. Even so, that's still not an automatic fast-pass into Smash for her, and certainly not a blow against K. Rool either.
I think new appearance counting depends on whenever or not the character has an important role in the game.

By itself, recency does not matter. A character does not need recency to get in because recency only indicates that the character has made a recent appearance. Characters needs things like uniqueness, be a character that people are going to love, must be able to fit in the game and be balanced with other characters. Importance also helps out a character, though is not always necessary. If a character already has all of these without a recent appearance, then a character already has everything they need to get in and it is up to Sakurai to decide whenever or not they are worthy. It is why I feel as spin-off appearance should be dismissed as they hold no value except for saying they appeared. Mega Man may have suffered a severe decline over the past few years (one that I would say is worse than what King K. Rool is facing), but Mega Man's legendary status along wit his massive popularity contributed to his playable appearance in his game and why I keep using him as an example of why recency by itself does not matter.

But recency can contribute to factors that do matter when considering characters. For a recent appearance to be important, they must hold substance behind the appearance. If it contributes to importance, uniqueness or making the character more popular, then that appearance should be noted not because of recency, but because the recent appearance contribute to important factors. When I saw Dixie Kong in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, I took note of it because it contributed to making her a more important part of the Donkey Kong franchise and that does matter.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well like I said, Rosalina is a straight-forward basic character + support character from any given fighting game (see: GG with Eddie).

Granted, her floatiness and smashes' DI will be unique, but this isn't something that's never been done before. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't look fantastic.

I think with K. Rool, he would be best as a "greatest hits" of sorts of large/heavy characters in Smash, obviosuly with his own unique moves, playstyle, and movement.

And seriously, this reveal is more proof that K. Rool is such a Sakurai-friendly character, as if his uniqueness and zaniness wasn't enough.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to laugh so hard if that "Viking Guy" ends up being ViKing K. Rool so well disguised that you can't tell it's K. Rool by silhouette (because why else would they not show what the guy really looks like? :troll:).

But if it's really just a new walrus villain, that's ok too. Walruses are awesome, shame no one ever goes walrus....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, I always said a fouth DKC character would be very likely if we got a Mario newcomer. Guess that happened now, which means no needless wars between K.Rool and Dixie supporters!

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I would really like to see K.Rool in smash 4.

Im a huge fan of the DKC games, and I really like big characters in fighting games.

K.Rool just got another supporter. :yeahboi:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
K. Rool would be the heaviest in the game and would have really good projectiles, his weakness would be a linear recovery and mobility.
I too agree that K. Rool should be the heaviest, but by a slight margin when compared to Bowser. And his slow walking speed would be countered by his moderately good running speed (rivaling that of Wolf's running).

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Will we get 4 characters for the DK series? I would really like to but I'm not 100% certain about this. It's possible, yes. It was also possible before the reveal of Rosalina. But we still don't know if at the end we will really end up with K.Rool and Dixie being playable.

Also: Don't kick Cranky out too early. Of course he has yet to get the support Dixie has but still he isn't out yet. As Sakurai is always a bit unpredictable and I could imagine Sakurai revealing Cranky instead of Dixie :p I mean it's Sakurai. He always makes some choices that aren't the ones people are waiting for and still makes choices that are somehow explainable.

However the huge support for K.Rool should be enough to show Sakurai we want K.Rool. The arguments are good ones and his importance to the DK series stays the same even without being in Tropical Freeze.

Btw: At the end Sakurai trolls us by showing King K.Rool being defeated by Funky Kong who's revealed being playable right after this and K.Rool only confirmed as a boss ;D Hopefully it doesn't end up this way. K.Rool for president playable character! :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Will we get 4 characters for the DK series? I would really like to but I'm not 100% certain about this. It's possible, yes. It was also possible before the reveal of Rosalina. But we still don't know if at the end we will really end up with K.Rool and Dixie being playable.

Also: Don't kick Cranky out too early. Of course he has yet to get the support Dixie has but still he isn't out yet. As Sakurai is always a bit unpredictable and I could imagine Sakurai revealing Cranky instead of Dixie :p I mean it's Sakurai. He always makes some choices that aren't the ones people are waiting for and still makes choices that are somehow explainable.

However the huge support for K.Rool should be enough to show Sakurai we want K.Rool. The arguments are good ones and his importance to the DK series stays the same even without being in Tropical Freeze.

Btw: At the end Sakurai trolls us by showing King K.Rool being defeated by Funky Kong who's revealed being playable right after this and K.Rool only confirmed as a boss ;D Hopefully it doesn't end up this way. K.Rool for president playable character! :D
If Mario gets 6 characters, and Zelda gets Impa as a 5th / 6th character, I could see Cranky getting in alongside K.Rool and Dixie.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There is no way Donkey Kong will get 3 characters. Just...no.

It's either K.Rool or Dixie, or K.Rool and Dixie. That's basically it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai has spoken up as being very careful not including too many Mario characters, so don't count on 6 Mario characters.

DK would still be very lucky to get 2 newcomers. We're getting less newcomers this time around, so for a single franchise to get 2 additional characters would be pretty wild as is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
DK getting four characters total is indeed a possibility, but far from the most likely outcome. (though it's not an extremely unlikely possibility either)

A DK newcomer is practically guaranteed at this point, so it will either be K. Rool or Dixie. And if we're lucky enough, we'll get them both.

Cranky's best chance this time around is as an Assist Trophy. I can see him getting in as a newcomer in Smash 5, that is, if such a game ever comes to be.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do you have a link that says this?
Either my imagination really amplified the meaning of what he said, or I just couldn't find the right interview, but this is the closest I could find to what I remember:
Sakurai said:
As far as choosing which characters, we had to really look at the series that would be represented in the game and create a balance that would make fans of all the series happy. We didn't want to have all Mario characters, all Pokemon characters... We looked at each series and tried to pick the characters that would have the widest appeal to the largest fan base.
Source (collapsed because of giant picture of Nintendo Power):

Will edit if I find exactly what I remember, because I'm fairly certain it's out there somewhere, I even remember it as a somewhat recent interview.

Top Bottom