• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
This sucks. Some of my favorite people on the Internet are saying that they're gonna leave when the ballot and DLC are over. I wish the best of all who are gonna leave and I hope to see you when Smash 5 speculation rolls around.

Morbi

Scavenger
This sucks. Some of my favorite people on the Internet are saying that they're gonna leave when the ballot and DLC are over. I wish the best of all who are gonna leave and I hope to see you when Smash 5 speculation rolls around.
I suppose we could always hope for the best, if King K. Rool is added to the game, a lot of people here would probably transition into more refined discussions about the King once he gets his own sub-forum.

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
I suppose we could always hope for the best, if King K. Rool is added to the game, a lot of people here would probably transition into more refined discussions about the King once he gets his own sub-forum.
Yeah, but it's really fun speculating about his inclusion. I mean, sure, we are gonna see competitive talk about K Rool (if he's really good and we see him in tournaments, that'll be sweet), but I've, met so many great people here that, well, it's hard to say goodbye.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Since everyone's talking about either being salty at K. Rool's inclusion or exclusion, and I'm studying herpetology, I thought y'all would like to know that all crocodilians are born with salt removing glands under their tongues. Granted, some species have stronger glands than others (American alligators loathe even slightly brackish water, while American crocodiles and obviously saltwater crocodiles constanty cruise around the Caribbean and Southeast Asia, respectively), but based on his...knautical and piratical tendencies, I think it's safe to say our king is certainly a very salt-tolerant croc. Make of that what you will.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I do not necessarily believe that adding or ignoring any character is justified for that reason; however, I fail to see the difference between upsetting a small fan-base or a large fan-base unless we are speaking purely in terms of sales figures. Even then, I somewhat doubt that upsetting a massive fan-base would have a grossly detrimental effect on sales either.

Sakurai does not want to upset a fan-base by not including a character. Instead, he wants to please a fan-base by including a character. If the inverse effect happens, which it will, that has nothing to do with Sakurai. I have already seen this mentality, here, in the King K. Rool thread.

"How could Sakurai not add MY favorite character?" "I lost all respect for Sakurai because he did not add King K. Rool." "King K. Rool is clearly and objectively the best choice for DLC, Sakurai would be blatantly incompetent if he decided against him."

But at the end of the day, you CANNOT please everyone. And that is precisely why that aforementioned mind-set seems to linger. I believe that it is safe to say that most of us here, still speculating months into the ballot, will purchase any and all characters regardless of who they are.

I know I responded to you, but it was just because your post gives my post some context. I am not necessarily trying to disagree with you or anything, you just gave me a thought and I wanted write it and see it through.
It's a utilitarian thing...making more of the ballot voters happy should be treated as a better choice than making fewer voters happy. There are gray areas, of course (what if you have two characters neck-and-neck and the lesser one is more interesting? what if the top result is owned by Microsoft?), but I think it's a pretty simple blueprint for making the most of what was a wonderful idea of Iwata's with the ballot.

Since everyone's talking about either being salty at K. Rool's inclusion or exclusion, and I'm studying herpetology, I thought y'all would like to know that all crocodilians are born with salt removing glands under their tongues. Granted, some species have stronger glands than others (American alligators loathe even slightly brackish water, while American crocodiles and obviously saltwater crocodiles constanty cruise around the Caribbean and Southeast Asia, respectively), but based on his...knautical and piratical tendencies, I think it's safe to say our king is certainly a very salt-tolerant croc. Make of that what you will.
That's some great trivia. Makes me want to see a big saltwater crocodile Kremling enemy in the next DKC's underwater levels.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
http://dkvine.com/games/gallery/artwork/

DKVine is gonna be your best bet. Mario Wiki has a fair amount too.
Thanks so much! Plus its great to see you're here again!

Its so mind blowing that the ballot is already almost over, I still remember watching that direct live. No matter what the outcome is, tears and blood will be spilt while some celebrate.

After the ballot, I'll still come to smashboards once in a while, but not always. The K. Rool thread made me make an account, so when it is over, I'll have no real reason to come back everyday. It is really is crazy it is almost over, but sad at the same time. Nevertheless, if K. Rool makes it in, we did it. If he does not, we still guaranteed a future where we can see our favorite kroc dressing up fighting the kongs.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
With hearing some people talk about what they're doing after K. Rool (hypothetically) gets confirmed, I figured I would think about what I will do after Sakurai's Wild Ride ends, as well. After Smash 4 DLC speculation ends, I certainly wouldn't ''leave'' Smash Boards (I've only just started actually participating in threads and not just lurking! :p ), but I would kinda wind down and be less active here. If K. Rool gets Kongfirmed, I may dabble in his karachter sub-forum and look for new strategies for him, and see what the Support threads are like for my other most wanted characters, but I think that'll be it unless something major happens. I certainly won't forget all the people I've met on the site, as this is probably the first gaming related community (Well, the K. Rool Thread, at least) I've met that isn't dealing with toxicity everyday. And even if I do... ''disappear'', from the website for a few years, you can bet I will be back for Smash Bros 5 speculation, and hope to see all you Kutthroats return as well to discuss changes we would want to K. Rool's move set, other characters, or whatever Smash 5 promises to bring to the table! :) (But the ride isn't over just yet, we still have to support the King for these last 2 weeks!)

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Yep. I don't know what commentator or competitive player introduced "SO SALTY, OMG SALT, DRINK THE SALTY TEARS OLOLOLOL" into the lexicon of Smash terms, but if I had a Time Turner, I'd love to go back and clap a hand over his mouth before he could spit it out.

I guess modding this board for perpetrators will have to suffice instead. :p

Excellent video @ Sirfishe Sirfishe ! I'll definitely be spreading that on the Twitter account.
thanks man! Glad you liked it! :)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Come what may, I shall see ye on the other side.

I come here every day expecting an intense wave of new posts to signify something's happened. I hope that, when it does happen, it's for something good.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
When the whole DLC thing is over, and there is nothing left to talk about, that is when I'll say, "My work here is done." And maybe move on from there.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I still support K.Rool (obviously), after the whole "mii costume" ordeal I've already come to expect the worse. So if he is not DLC, I will be disappointed but not "OMG how could Sakurai do this!? Blah Blah Blah" Because honestly I've gotten use to Nintendo treating K.Rool like dirt by now so it will be no shock to me if he doesn't get added. Good thing I have a few other characters to fall back on like Dixie, Wolf, Krystal, Medusa, Impa, Captain Toad, Cranky, and Inklings. While none of them would get me as hyped as K.Rool at least I'll get another character I actually want in Smash. Cause out of the original roster only Little Mac and Bowser Jr. got me excited. While Rosalina and Lucina/Robin were cool but not hype worthy. Now if NONE of those characters I listed above get added and we somehow only get random 3rd parties then i'll be raving a bit...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Only other character that would make me hype besides K. Rool. is Banjo-Kazooie but that's unlikely to ever happen. At least K. Rool still has chance

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I have some backup characters but none would hype me as much as K. Rool. But at least it will help me not getting to upset about it. Though from my top 5 list of characters, K.Rool still has the better chances since 3 of them are 3rd party.

And strangely, I never got too supportive of Banjo-Kazooie too because I always felt it was a very long shot from the start, regardless of what Phil Spencer said.

Keep feeling like I don't deserve having the name Banjo-Kazooie because of this, but I did my account back then in Melee days, when Banjo-Kazooie actually had a chance. If King K. Rool gets in the game, I promis I'll change my name to Banjo-K.Roolie (I think you can do that if you upgrade to premium).

ThePhenomTaker

Smash Cadet
if King K.Rool doesn't get picked from the ballot then i'll be very disappointed but if he is picked it'll make me happy i also doubt retro studios and nintendo wouldn't put him back into the donkey kong country games just yet i just hope they ain't ignoring the character same goes for the Super Smash Bros creator Sakurai then i'll just have to wait until the next super smash bros game comes out in a couple more years by then King K.Rool will finally be playable or he'll end up a Trophy collection thing again

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
if King K.Rool doesn't get picked from the ballot then i'll be very disappointed but if he is picked it'll make me happy i also doubt retro studios and nintendo wouldn't put him back into the donkey kong country games just yet i just hope they ain't ignoring the character same goes for the Super Smash Bros creator Sakurai then i'll just have to wait until the next super smash bros game comes out in a couple more years by then King K.Rool will finally be playable or he'll end up a Trophy collection thing again
Option #3: Become a skilled modder and hack Krool into the game if all else fails.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm wondering if Sakurai thinks K. Rool will be too small in comparison to DK. DK is huge in this game, he's bigger than Bowser. DK is a lot taller than him if he stood upright, and his features are way bigger. He has a much bigger head, and his arms are thicker than Bowser's legs lol. I'm pretty sure Smash is DK's biggest iteration, outside of possibly his cameo in the Wii Punch Out.

Sure he can make K. Rool have a higher frame, but DK would be taller is he was upright, and he'd have much bigger features. He'd honestly look much more intimidating than K. Rool in a pure physique-sense

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Sakurai thinks K. Rool will be too small in comparison to DK. DK is huge in this game, he's bigger than Bowser. DK is a lot taller than him if he stood upright, and his features are way bigger. He has a much bigger head, and his arms are thicker than Bowser's legs lol. I'm pretty sure Smash is DK's biggest iteration, outside of possibly his cameo in the Wii Punch Out.

Sure he can make K. Rool have a higher frame, but DK would be taller is he was upright, and he'd have much bigger features. He'd honestly look much more intimidating than K. Rool in a pure physique-sense
I used to wonder how they'd handle that, until the day I noticed how big Pit is juxtaposed by Palutena (can't unsee) and realized they don't worry about preserving scale even among characters from the same universe.

Last edited:
I managed to throw another vote our glorious Kings way by using a different PC at work.

For those of you with Super Mario Maker I've created an extended course based off Gangplank Galleon from DKC. There is even a "boss fight" to get through as well :) Though it's a bit tame compared to the original I've tried to incorporate certain elements of the boss battle into the course.

There is also a message at the end of the course to encourage the player to vote for K. Rool in the ballot. Even if we get only one vote it's still worth it!

Course ID is A88B 0000 0048 CA47

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I used to wonder how they'd handle that, until the day I noticed how big Pit is juxtaposed by Palutena and realized they don't worry about preserving scale even among characters from the same universe.
I didn't play KI, but I imagine scale isn't as important because they're allies, and her size isn't a huge part of her character

The difference is that K. Rool's size advantage over the Kongs is what makes him intimidating. Bowser is still bigger than Mario even when he's not giant, so his power advantage is still conveyed.

If DK and K. Rool are the same size, then DK is more physically intimidating because he has bigger features, and K. Rools teeth/claws aren't really pronounced.

They may simply not care, but if they do put him in the game a DK vs K. Rool match would play out very differently to the Country games. I get it's completely different game, but at least with Mario vs Bowser the same theme is maintained where Mario has to avoid Bowser and respect his superior power, then punish him when he commits.

Obviously I'd rather them not care and just put him in the game, but it could be a potential deal-breaker

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I didn't play KI, but I imagine scale isn't as important because they're allies, and her size isn't a huge part of her character
It kind of is. She's about twice his size, emphasised because she's the master / mother figure compared to Pit's servant / child.

I don't think it's a deal-breaker. Sakurai doesn't care about canon shindiggery when he has an idea in his head.

EDIT: I should clarify, I mean her size isn't static, she appears to be much bigger than Pit at times. "Twice his size" is an exaggeration, she's still noticeably taller than him.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I used to wonder how they'd handle that, until the day I noticed how big Pit is juxtaposed by Palutena (can't unsee) and realized they don't worry about preserving scale even among characters from the same universe.

They are fine.

I don't really think K.Rool would look weird compared to DK, but compared to the Kritters... yeah, they are bigger than Bowser in Smash Run.

They are fine.

I don't really think K.Rool would look weird compared to DK, but compared to the Kritters... yeah, they are bigger than Bowser in Smash Run.
Their scale is that disturbing even in their main game? Euch!

Well, my other example was going to be the sizes of the playable Pokémon, since I doubt any of them are even close to their given height and weight. But since that's flavor text and we seldom see them juxtaposed in those games, the size discrepancy isn't so jarring for them.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/htmlview#gid=729442469

This little ditty was posted in the Wolf boards.

Take it as you will.

While nothing is pure concrete, some in the Wolf boards think this is as close to the ballot as we could get as a huge global polling compilation. If this is true...our King is absolutely KRUSHING THE KOMPETITION!

Edit: I can't stop looking at that google doc and listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIO5cosAqb8
this remix, imagining K. Rool's reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I know this won't happen, now with Star Fox Zero being delayed until 2016 and no big holiday title for this year, Nintendo better be pressuring Sakurai to finish Smash DLC. The only thing more hype than a AAA Nintendo title is Smash. Star Fox left a void and it can be filled with "Character Bundle 2" that consists of Wolf, K.Rool, Issac, and Bandana Dee. Considering a lot of what the west is getting within the next couple months japan has had for months now leaves barely anything for them this holiday. Sakurai had to have started development on ballot characters already he could've started a month within the ballot to get a good idea of who was popular.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of holding a contest of who can make up the best new Kremlings. I'll choose 3 that I think are best then email them to nintendo or retro as possible ideas for them to use in their future DK games. All artists will get credited for it. All your made up kremlings MUST have names though.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Unless you're Ridley in which case it becomes all important.
Yep.

I found it weird that Pit as tall as Palutena and their proportions are completely different, where Pit is more cartoony and Palutena is more realistically proportioned as if the two were from different series. Maybe Palutena just has a tiny head, or her big hair makes it seem that way. A tiny head unfitting for the "goddess of wisdom"

Makes me think Viridi would have been the better choice of Palutena because she is more in line with Pit in terms of proportion and art style...come to think of it Palutena sticks out like a sore thumb among most of the Uprising cast.

But this isn't about KI, this is about KKR.

@ Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 that's absolutely right. Without Star Fox Zero to bolster sales this holiday season they are basically relying completely on Super Mario Maker's lasting sales and Xenoblade Chronicles X as well. TWO IS NOT A LOT. Thankfully SMM is incredibly popular or at least Nintendo is shoving it down our throats far enough to make us believe it. I honestly wonder if Smash DLC is now even more pressured to pick up the slack this holiday season.

And it also makes more sense as to why SMM is getting pushed so hard, there's no other big titles before the end of the year is up so they want to milk this cow as much as they can.

I'm thinking of holding a contest of who can make up the best new Kremlings. I'll choose 3 that I think are best then email them to nintendo or retro as possible ideas for them to use in their future DK games. All artists will get credited for it.
What an incredibly swell idea. I may not be the best artist around, but I tend to draw reptiles better than anything else.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Hey guys, been awhile since i checked this due to a recent squid-based addiction ^^;
I'm 50/50 on it, he better give us Wolf and K. Rool if he doesn't want to lose a huge amount of his fan base and be fired.
yeah, 50/50 sounds about right. They are the most logical choices left but then again, sakurai has proven to be anything but logical.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Size is pretty inconsistent in DK games. In the original trilogy, Diddy is as tall as Donkey, and K. Rool himself seems to be shorter in DKC2 than he is in DKC. He then becomes a titan in DK64 and just an hair over DK in PAON games(ideal size for Smash imo). And he wouldn't be the only character that would appear to be shorter in Smash: for example, Ganondorf is a bit shorter than he is in Twilight Princess. Besides, the ultimate proof that sizes don't matter
SadvoLn.png

Can you see King Dedede down there?

Their scale is that disturbing even in their main game? Euch!

Well, my other example was going to be the sizes of the playable Pokémon, since I doubt any of them are even close to their given height and weight. But since that's flavor text and we seldom see them juxtaposed in those games, the size discrepancy isn't so jarring for them.
Pokemon sizes are weird in general. As a general rule with very few exceptions, any pokemon is a ****** and a feather compared to what you would imagine it to be in the real world, i.e. Tyranitar being 2m x 200kg.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
*waits patiently for DKCR3: Retro cuts the crap and gives us the Kremlings*

Now that the new DKC smell from Returns has worn off... Does anyone remember how people were more excited for stuff that returned to the DKC series (Dixie, David Wise, Funky, David Wise) than the new stuff... I've heard that Japan likes familiarity (why Roy is back in this game). Anyone think that having K. Rool and the Kremlings in the game would drive some sales at all? Maybe not significantly, but enough to be noticeable?

Last edited:
*waits patiently for DKCR3: Retro cuts the crap and gives us the Kremlings*

Now that the new DKC smell from Returns has worn off... Does anyone remember how people were more excited for stuff that returned to the DKC series (Dixie, David Wise, Funky, David Wise) than the new stuff... I've heard that Japan likes familiarity (why Roy is back in this game). Anyone think that having K. Tool and the Kremlings in the game would drive some sales at all? Maybe not significantly, but enough to be noticeable?
K. Tool sounds like the moniker for his home improvement persona.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Size is pretty inconsistent in DK games. In the original trilogy, Diddy is as tall as Donkey, and K. Rool himself seems to be shorter in DKC2 than he is in DKC. He then becomes a titan in DK64 and just an hair over DK in PAON games(ideal size for Smash imo). And he wouldn't be the only character that would appear to be shorter in Smash: for example, Ganondorf is a bit shorter than he is in Twilight Princess. Besides, the ultimate proof that sizes don't matter
View attachment 73910
Can you see King Dedede down there?

Pokemon sizes are weird in general. As a general rule with very few exceptions, any pokemon is a ****** and a feather compared to what you would imagine it to be in the real world, i.e. Tyranitar being 2m x 200kg.
You're missing the point though. Yes size varies, but in every main game K. Rool is considerably bigger than the Kongs. That's part of his character, it's what makes him intimidating.

Mentioning that certain characters in Smash aren't the correct size, or that size varies in games is completely irrelevant. The only ones relevant to my point are size disparities between characters that are significant to their relationship

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
You're missing the point though. Yes size varies, but in every main game K. Rool is considerably bigger than the Kongs. That's part of his character, it's what makes him intimidating.

Mentioning that certain characters in Smash aren't the correct size, or that size varies in games is completely irrelevant. The only ones relevant to my point are size disparities between characters that are significant to their relationship
To be honest I really don't care if K. Rool comes off a wee bit less intimidating if he doesn't tower over Donkey. Most people probably wouldn't either. I'd rather be intimidating by his blunderbuss. Sakurai seemed fine with Pit being as tall as Palutena when he was clearly shorter than her in the anime styled reveal trailer for her. Not to mention King K. Rool is roughly the same size as Bowser, which I think would be fine for Smash. Yeah, Donkey Kong would look large compared to K. Rool, but he doesn't necessarily have to be dwarfed by him. I swear I been through this argument before with Ridley. Not trying to assault you directly.

Top Bottom