• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Plenty. I mean, he does want this to sell, right? otherwise he'd likely have Nintendo on his back.

Dunno Why you suggested K.Rool and Wolf though. Clearly not good characters.:troll: obviously amazing ones.
Just making sure you guys haven't lost faith;)
I'm 50/50 on it, he batter give us Wolf and K. Rool if he doesn't want to lose a huge amount of his fan base and be fired.
^This.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I feel that both Wolf and K. Rool have strong chances. The community backlash would be strong if either of them were to be ignored completely. I hope they do become playable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I appreciate the warm welcomes. Unfortunately life has been very busy for the last month or so and I really haven't had a lot of time to check out SmashBoards and get into K. Rool/Smash speculation. I only stopped by temporarily, but I hope you're all carrying on the good fight. Hoping to convince some more people to vote before the ballot closes.

That said, I'll definitely be relieved when the ballot closes, and I think Smash discussion will be less of a nightmare.

EDIT: Also, I did see the Mario Maker stage, and it's absolutely fantastic. I can't wait.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The Rare design is more edgy but the Paon design is better for a playable fighter.

Also I know this will be controversial, but I kind of want K.Rool to be slightly cloned from Bowser.

I obviously want K. Rool to have canon specials and a lot of uniqueness, but I also want him to have some of Bowser's standard attacks, because they're good and suit K. Rool's physiology. Things like Bowser's jab, his dash attack and grab, maybe his fair too.

We value uniqueness and canon moves a lot because we don't have him yet. But if he does come, months down the track when the hype of playing him has worn off (like it has for other DK reps like Diddy, or for other characters you wanted) having good moves and properties becomes more important if you want to main the character. It's not just really about competitive viability, but more about how they feel. A lot of Bowser's standard moves would work well on K. Rool, they'd just feel good.

K. Rool can be the most unique character in the game with the most canon-influenced moveset, but if he doesn't feel good to play I won't be playing him for long.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The Rare design is more edgy but the Paon design is better for a playable fighter.

Also I know this will be controversial, but I kind of want K.Rool to be slightly cloned from Bowser.

I obviously want K. Rool to have canon specials and a lot of uniqueness, but I also want him to have some of Bowser's standard attacks, because they're good and suit K. Rool's physiology. Things like Bowser's jab, his dash attack and grab, maybe his fair too.

We value uniqueness and canon moves a lot because we don't have him yet. But if he does come, months down the track when the hype of playing him has worn off (like it has for other DK reps like Diddy, or for other characters you wanted) having good moves and properties becomes more important if you want to main the character. It's not just really about competitive viability, but more about how they feel. A lot of Bowser's standard moves would work well on K. Rool, they'd just feel good.

K. Rool can be the most unique character in the game with the most canon-influenced moveset, but if he doesn't feel good to play I won't be playing him for long.
I can see where you're coming from with this, but I disagree. How well a character feels is very objective. Different strokes for different folks. I main DeDeDe, and he feels extremely comfortable to play as, yet I cannot stand Luigi. Meanwhile, I'm sure there is a Luigi main who feels very comfortable playing as him, but cannot stand DeDeDe. If K. Rool feels uncomfortable to one person, he'll feel more comfortable to the next.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I get your point and I did (intentionally or otherwise) draw a bit of influence from Bowser's normal moves for my moveset (funny enough, the jab and f-air in particular), and I can see the grab if Sakurai doesn't want to be too freaky with his abilities, but I don't care for the dash attack. I'd rather see K. Rool doing a bullrush or a dashing headbutt than a slide tackle.

That said, I don't think it's so much "K. Rool should be cloned from Bowser to an extent", more so that "K. Rool should have moves that resemble Bowser's based on body type". I don't think Sakurai deliberately cloned Captain Falcon's jab with Little Mac or Pit's d-air for Palutena's, it just happened to work that way in context.

EDIT: Yeah @ Raxxel Raxxel said it, he's got the right idea.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Anyone notice how K.Rool's hands became GIANT in DKC2 and 3?
I'm pretty sure that this would have been for added definition against the outfits he was wearing, and, in DKC2, the weapon he used. For example, if that alteration hadn't been made, his awesome pirate coat would look a bit strange, as would the blunderbuss.

How the heck did the king loose this game?

(Atleast he got 3rd place still super high.)
I don't know... I moved my support to Dee after it was clear that the King won't make it to Top 2.

EDIT: Bandana Dee just won the game. It's sad that King K. Rool lost (I couldn't save him...) but at least he did really well.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't know... I moved my support to Dee after it was clear that the King won't make it to Top 2.

EDIT: Bandana Dee just won the game. It's sad that King K. Rool lost (I couldn't save him...) but at least he did really well.
Yea thrid is decent

Atleast it shows that

Top 3 are likely winner(s) for the ballot in october

(I mean after all bandana dee is number 3 or 4 from part 2 of japans most voted for characters.)

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Honestly, now that they used the Rare design for the costume, if we get K. Rool, I am pretty sure it will be that design. They have pretty much acknowledged that the Rare design is more popular than the Paon design.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Honestly, now that they used the Rare design for the costume, if we get K. Rool, I am pretty sure it will be that design. They have pretty much acknowledged that the Rare design is more popular than the Paon design.
Some people were expecting the Rare design after Pac-Man got his classic design.

How the heck did the king loose this game?

(Atleast he got 3rd place still super high.)
It's just a game, anyway.

:231:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I miss when Ridley was part of that.
The sad thing is people are now thinking "Ridley is no longer popular" which is not true. He still has legions of fans but they have been pushed underground by the nigh legendary Ridley hate and trolling. A lot of them resurfaced as K. Rool fans as the two characters always had significant overlap. Part of me thinks K. Rool's sudden and massive popularity is bolstered largely in part by closet Ridley fans wanting SOME sort of reptilian villain from a popular but underrepped series.

Just because he's no longer doing as well in the polls doesn't mean his fans were never there, it's because of how harsh Ridley was "deconfirmed". The way Sakurai made it sound is that he likely won't make it into any future game either because he just doesn't want to make him work even when other characters people would think impossible in Smash and Sakurai ends up making it work.

So yeah, if Ridley ever got revealed as playable the internet would melt down. He's one of the last true hype characters even if it doesn't show it for this ballot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The sad thing is people are now thinking "Ridley is no longer popular" which is not true. He still has legions of fans but they have been pushed underground by the nigh legendary Ridley hate and trolling. A lot of them resurfaced as K. Rool fans as the two characters always had significant overlap. Part of me thinks K. Rool's sudden and massive popularity is bolstered largely in part by closet Ridley fans wanting SOME sort of reptilian villain from a popular but underrepped series.

Just because he's no longer doing as well in the polls doesn't mean his fans were never there, it's because of how harsh Ridley was "deconfirmed". The way Sakurai made it sound is that he likely won't make it into any future game either because he just doesn't want to make him work even when other characters people would think impossible in Smash and Sakurai ends up making it work.

So yeah, if Ridley ever got revealed as playable the internet would melt down. He's one of the last true hype characters even if it doesn't show it for this ballot.
Good post. I don't get the outrage about character support in general Ridley support post-disconfirmation. Yes, he's not in the game, and yes, people think it's cute to rub it in how the Ridley fans were wrong about 14 months of teasing leading up to a playable role in the end...how "delusional" they were for daring to entertain the possibility that "boss characters" could be a play-on-words in reference to the game's other villains being "playable bosses" too. But how does that affect them? Why does it hurt them so profoundly that supporters don't roll over and die as a result of Sakurai's rationale, that they feel the need to stomp out any last ember of support through any means? Not to mention the militant backlash anytime anyone tries pointing out a double-standard in the rationale, and the minutia of it gets picked to shreds.

There's also that thing where, if you dare to bring up Ridley and his situation, "you're part of the problem" for not staying silent, a strain of logic where "fixing" a problem entails letting it simmer below the surface while pretending everything is all hunky-dory.

Until we have to deal with similar backlash after a K. Rool disconfirmation, though, let's focus on him.

How does it feel to know we have just a little over two weeks before the ballot ends? And less than two weeks until we get some sort of reveal?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
How does it feel to know we have just a little over two weeks before the ballot ends? And less than two weeks until we get some sort of reveal?
Am I the only one feeling that this just feels totally unreal? I actually hadn't expected to feel much of anything about it, but because the ballot period was so long, it's now reached this funny point where the notion of it ending soon seems amusingly surreal because it's been part of the furniture for so long. :p

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Good post. I don't get the outrage about character support in general Ridley support post-disconfirmation. Yes, he's not in the game, and yes, people think it's cute to rub it in how the Ridley fans were wrong about 14 months of teasing leading up to a playable role in the end...how "delusional" they were for daring to entertain the possibility that "boss characters" could be a play-on-words in reference to the game's other villains being "playable bosses" too. But how does that affect them? Why does it hurt them so profoundly that supporters don't roll over and die as a result of Sakurai's rationale, that they feel the need to stomp out any last ember of support through any means? Not to mention the militant backlash anytime anyone tries pointing out a double-standard in the rationale, and the minutia of it gets picked to shreds.

There's also that thing where, if you dare to bring up Ridley and his situation, "you're part of the problem" for not staying silent, a strain of logic where "fixing" a problem entails letting it simmer below the surface while pretending everything is all hunky-dory.

Until we have to deal with similar backlash after a K. Rool disconfirmation, though, let's focus on him.

Surreal.

After a month and a half of nothing, Super Mario Maker blindsides us and now we can hope for content on the 30th with mere days until the Ballot finally ends.

Hopefully once the ballot is over people will start to calm down, but I know this won't be the case. There will be plenty of people angry that their character isn't in. I'm actually quite afraid to see the hate and salt licking if K. Rool doesn't make it in. K. Rool fans will practically be walking in front of a firing squad. That's yet another reason why I support K. Rool. I don't want his fans to go through what Ridley fans did, or in many cases, Ridley fans going through what they been through twice.

Either way, once the ballot is over and the DLC is in and done, I can find closure and ultimately move on. K. Rool's confirmation would probably be the only thing that would make me stick around and hang out in K. Rool's character subforum.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Either way, once the ballot is over and the DLC is in and done, I can find closure and ultimately move on. K. Rool's confirmation would probably be the only thing that would make me stick around and hang out in K. Rool's character subforum.
I hope he is indeed confirmed, then. You're one of many regulars who I'd hate to see disappear from this place!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I hope he is indeed confirmed, then. You're one of many regulars who I'd hate to see disappear from this place!
Thanks Tortilla. It means a lot. I honestly feel like an outsider in most of these sorts of things but I mostly carved my place into the K. Rool community, as well as other places (tend to be a regular on the Shantae one as well, and I dibble dabble in other threads like Wolf, Bandana Dee, and Ray MK ones too).

If K. Rool is deconfirmed then I don't really want to stick around for the backlash that will happen afterwords, it would likely be too grating on my nerves.

If he is confirmed then I would gladly stick around to see the remaining characters getting in or not, giving my congratulations and condolences where they are do, and move on from character speculation to K. Rool's moveset and matchup discussion. I dropped Pikachu as a main recently and I'm looking for a good secondary alongside Charizard. If K. Rool becomes the projectile/trap based character we wanted him to be I will most definitely pick him up as a secondary.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Actually, since we're talking about remixes breaking some new ground here, guys ;w; and music and junk, what's your favorite underrated DKC tune? I never hear people talk about this one, and it's a crime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehJpkjvJ2I Not even David Wise o_0
Eh, screw it, while I'm here, what's your favorite overall track from DKC? I....I'm so sorry Lockjaw's Saga. There's a new ringleader in town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w
Not from DKC but from DK64. I never seen anyone on this thread talk about "K.Rool's Escape" it's an awesome track menacing too. It's better than the final boss music imo.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Here's what I feel.

That there's a ticking time bomb whose contents we don't know of, and when it goes off, at least one fanbase is melting down out of sheer rage while another celebrates.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel this post i made for the Bandanna Dee thread deserves to be posted here as well:
(emotional music)

The day smash 4 Speculation ends will be a sad day for me.

It was the reason i wanted to join these boards and once it's all over, im going to most likely dissapear. Im not the most social person here, and once this ends i will look for something else to do.

However, when speculation of the next Smash game arrives i may be there, and i will tell stories of all the people i met during my journey. Chronobound, BKupa, Swampasaur, Chandelure, GoldenYuiitusin and so on and so on. I will talk about how once upon a time Robin and Duck Hunt were seen as no-hopers and yet they joined the roster line up while "Shoo-ins" like Chrom and Chorus Kids were excluded.

However, by the time the next Smash game is announced, i will most likely moved on on my life as a lonely, busy man. Despite that, i will never forget those times in which i joined to talk about my dreampicks.

I wish i could have joined sooner to these boards, that way i could have seen how speculation changed. Speculation may have been chaotic, but it still was fun for me at least, even if i only joined this crazy ride literally the last 3 months before the ballot ends.

If Bandanna Dee/Isaac/K.Rool/Paper Mario/Wolf don't make it in, it wouldn't be the first time a character i wanted doesn't make it in (Waluigi, Ridley and Takamaru come to mind). Only 4 characters that i wanted have made it in so far (:4megaman::4littlemac::4mewtwo::4feroy:)

and the hype i had for Mewtwo and Mega Man was a whole different level. (even if Mewtwo is a terrible character for Competitive play and Mega Man is still most likely not going to get a new game for at least a few years)

I joined speculation to have fun while i waited for Smash 4 and it's DLC and i can safely say that i had fun doing so. Thanks guys.

If i ever come back to speculate once the next Smash game is announced, i hope to see you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So, it's Schroedinger's DLC, then. :p
Pretty much.

My bets are on another popular candidate getting Mii'd for this backlash. That or showing off any character perceived as unpopular such as Shovel Knight.

That said, if a popular character such as KKR gets shown, then the backlash might be reduced a bit. Might.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There are going to be a lot of people arguing that, because someone will be upset no matter what, that adding/ignoring any character is justified...upsetting a dozen people in a small fanbase is just as bad as upsetting thousands of people in a bigger fanbase, in other words.

Just like with the main game's roster, we face the possibility of falling on the wrong side of that all-too-prevalent mentality. Don't get too down, no matter what happens, though...as people have said, it's no longer a matter of 'if' K. Rool comes back at this point, it's a matter of 'when.'

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What I know for certain is that, as moderators, we'll be cleaning the debris after some thread exploding, as well as patrolling the section for tear drinkers.

Such fun. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What I know for certain is that, as moderators, we'll be cleaning the debris after some thread exploding, as well as patrolling the section for tear drinkers.

Such fun. :p

Yep. I don't know what commentator or competitive player introduced "SO SALTY, OMG SALT, DRINK THE SALTY TEARS OLOLOLOL" into the lexicon of Smash terms, but if I had a Time Turner, I'd love to go back and clap a hand over his mouth before he could spit it out.

I guess modding this board for perpetrators will have to suffice instead. :p

Excellent video @ Sirfishe Sirfishe ! I'll definitely be spreading that on the Twitter account.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I bet I know what everyone here is hoping for on Sep 30th...

:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yep. I don't know what commentator or competitive player introduced "SO SALTY, OMG SALT, DRINK THE SALTY TEARS OLOLOLOL" into the lexicon of Smash terms, but if I had a Time Turner, I'd love to go back and clap a hand over his mouth before he could spit it out.

I guess modding this board for perpetrators will have to suffice instead. :p

Excellent video @ Sirfishe Sirfishe ! I'll definitely be spreading that on the Twitter account.
Don't worry, i'll bring the keys for the Epoch to see if we can shut up whoever made that term.

But yeah, im preparing myself for a very chaotic week at the end of September.

Morbi

Scavenger
There are going to be a lot of people arguing that, because someone will be upset no matter what, that adding/ignoring any character is justified...upsetting a dozen people in a small fanbase is just as bad as upsetting thousands of people in a bigger fanbase, in other words.

Just like with the main game's roster, we face the possibility of falling on the wrong side of that all-too-prevalent mentality. Don't get too down, no matter what happens, though...as people have said, it's no longer a matter of 'if' K. Rool comes back at this point, it's a matter of 'when.'
I do not necessarily believe that adding or ignoring any character is justified for that reason; however, I fail to see the difference between upsetting a small fan-base or a large fan-base unless we are speaking purely in terms of sales figures. Even then, I somewhat doubt that upsetting a massive fan-base would have a grossly detrimental effect on sales either.

Sakurai does not want to upset a fan-base by not including a character. Instead, he wants to please a fan-base by including a character. If the inverse effect happens, which it will, that has nothing to do with Sakurai. I have already seen this mentality, here, in the King K. Rool thread.

"How could Sakurai not add MY favorite character?" "I lost all respect for Sakurai because he did not add King K. Rool." "King K. Rool is clearly and objectively the best choice for DLC, Sakurai would be blatantly incompetent if he decided against him."

But at the end of the day, you CANNOT please everyone. And that is precisely why that aforementioned mind-set seems to linger. I believe that it is safe to say that most of us here, still speculating months into the ballot, will purchase any and all characters regardless of who they are.

I know I responded to you, but it was just because your post gives my post some context. I am not necessarily trying to disagree with you or anything, you just gave me a thought and I wanted write it and see it through.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Once Smash speculation ends, I'll stay here for a little longer to celebrate the Kremlings returning to DKC, then I'll be off. If Smash 5 ever happens, I will perhaps return to share my experience, and not allow history to repeat itself in terms of disappointment and expectations. I'll most certainly mention some of you, of course. But otherwise, my days here are numbered.
Also, since I've been on this board for about a year, I decided to support it by buying Premium. Yee~

Last edited:
Top Bottom