• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Lockjaw's Locker, Snakey Chantey, Jib Jig, Bayou Boogie and Crocodile Cacaphony are some DKC2 songs I'd like to hear in Smash.

That reminds me, DK Vine mentioned that one of the Retro Studios guys came up to them at e3 this past year and told them that David Wise was working on a new Nintendo project. They did'nt say it was DK related but it still makes you wonder why they'd tell them of all people. I'm hoping it's for a new dk stage in ssb4 or better yet of course, a new dkcr game.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So this influx of great news and bright prospects has me trying to pin just how I'll feel when I see K. Rool even, like.. move for the first time in-game. Just watching him exist and be controllable is going to be such a thrill ride and I feel kind of silly for admitting that. But, I actually rewatch some of the reveal trailers to this day, the nostalgia just fills me with wellbeing. Mega Man and Little Mac are the two I've sat back and relived the most; they came close to rivaling the Snake moment in terms of hype (for me), and I'm waiting for that feeling once again.

K. Rool is genuinely probably the last character that'd fill me with this feeling. Maybe Geno, maybe an oddball like Dr. Wily (I really want this for some reason) but as much as I feel the newcomers in 4 were well-rounded and acceptable, far too many shoo-ins were shrugged off and my hype began to taper around the Robin reveal. Ryu would've absolutely floored me and had me running around my room in an insane frenzy of joy but the leaks, the leaks.

Anyone else rewatch some of the trailers from time to time, and is anyone else sort of banking on this being the last huge thing they're wanting/expecting from this franchise?
Palutena was the finest instance of hype in the entire speculation era for me, with Robin a very, very, very, very close second.

K. Rool's reveal would be comparable. I think I'd cry.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Palutena was the finest instance of hype in the entire speculation era for me, with Robin a very, very, very, very close second.

K. Rool's reveal would be a religious experience for me lol

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Hey guys, just to let you know I have a new video coming out tomorrow! Its a cool little animation type of video for our King! He wants to speak out to the community himself 0.0. Here is a little teaser ;)

Animation.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aside from the obvious Little Mac and Mega Man, Roy was pretty hype for me personally.

Although nothing would compare to the hype i had for Mewtwo back in October 2014. I screamed of hype that day.

There's only one character that would make me more hype than K.Rool though.......

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
The new mario maker stage is very cool, but a part of me is making me think it was just for one thing: to be a gimmick.

Sm4sh has been following that route in some ways. Past smash games have tried to highlight features of that specific console, but like how brawl failed with the online, smash wii u fails to utilize the gamepad in a better way than photo studio and the limited stage builder.

What is worrying me most of all about this stage is, what if this was the only major thing they have been working on? I know at least one person reading this is gonna be like "UH NO! They are making ballot characters right as we speak!!!", but we really can't say. I hope they are making K. Rool and Leo Luster/Bluster Kong Zelda/Sheik style character.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Today I had a dream where in a new video Sakurai showed teasers of the upcoming DLC characters. He first gave a hint that one character is a king, and just like Mewtwo, they showed King K. Rool's model little by little. In a way similar to Smashified's Isaac, K. Rool did a pose before the video ended. Just as it ended, Sakurai said to expect a sister coming soon (referencing Dixie being Tiny's sister)

I woke up, checked various websites, but only to find out my dreams had tricked me again

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think it was BKupa who suggested the theory that K. Rool's Smash design will be drawn from an upcoming DKC game.

I know he's speaking hypothetically, but I have to ask: how'd you react to it? Disregard the fact that it's K. Rool in Smash, just totally impartially, is it best for the King to enter with a bang or better to use the current design and keep the "new" design for DKCR3?

Pakky

Smash Hero
I think it was BKupa who suggested the theory that K. Rool's Smash design will be drawn from an upcoming DKC game.

I know he's speaking hypothetically, but I have to ask: how'd you react to it? Disregard the fact that it's K. Rool in Smash, just totally impartially, is it best for the King to enter with a bang or better to use the current design and keep the "new" design for DKCR3?
I'd be overjoyed because it means that someone has finally came around and realized that no can replace King K Rool. But I yeah I think Smash will be advertisment for King K Rool, so use the same design for both.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
It depends from how much he'd going to change from the current designs. It's one thing if it's just some minor polish(much like the costume isn't an exact replica of his Rare design), but it's completely another thing if he went under drastic changes like an elderly K. Rool. Overall, it's not something I would oppose to(especially because elderly K. Rool has the potential to look pretty badass) but I can't help but think it's a change better left for Smash5, much like other characters i.e. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf went under drastic design changes between Smash installments.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So what K. Rool appearance do you want? Classic or PAON?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

I think I'd just be excited about the new DKC game, at that point. :laugh: And then I'd take stock of it and figure that debuting in Smash with a bulging bloodshot eye on the future would probably be a really good thing for K. Rool as a character.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace

You mean, essentially pull a Pit? ya, that'd be cool, and it would definitely incorporate iconic past features of the character

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You mean, essentially pull a Pit?
I would previously have used this term myself, but then I found out, rather late admittedly due to missing the source at the time, that Pit's modern-day design is actually derived from his look in the Game Boy sequel, Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, only given a slightly more modern coat of paint.

I suppose that's for the better, though, as that ultimately means that the fundamentals of the character's look probably wouldn't change too much. :)

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

Given how Smash is mainly for giving a nod to Nintendo history, I'd say that it'd be in their best interests to reveal him in his classic King outfit. If he was different bodily wise to fit Retro's vision, I'd have to see the model before I passed judgement, but they'll probably want to keep K. Rool as close to his SNES appearances as they can, with maybe tweaking slight things like K. Rools freakish arm length.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So what K. Rool appearance do you want? Classic or PAON?
I'd like to see a mix of both. They can keep the vibrant shade of green from the PAON design, as I feel it would fit better with both Smash Bros 4 and the newer DK games. They can also keep the blue gem of the PAON design. But everything else of the Rare design, specifically the tail, bigger krown, and golden belly can come back. But if they won't mix designs and will only go with one or the other, then I'd have to go with the Rare design.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
As someone who has been drawing a lot of K. Rool lately, it think it would be healthier to take more on the PAON design than the Rare design which has the classic googly Rare eyes. The rest of the body can go to Rare side since it looks less goofy with the darker skin, the armored belly and the bigger crown.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Is it just me or do I see a lot of hate towards the PAON design?
There does seem to be a fair bit of it.

I assume part of this is because it makes K. Rool look a lot less cold and deranged, but there are some things that I think it gets right, like the much-loved blue gem, and his legs, which always looked and moved a bit weird in the original Rare design.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Is it just me or do I see a lot of hate towards the PAON design?
I prefer to see it as more love towards the Rare design.
Personally, I think that the fact the the PAON lack a tail, a bigger krown, a obvious blood-shooted eye and a golden belly make it less appealing.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
This might seem off topic, but whatever. Does anyone know those pictures for DKC 1-3 where it shows the characters and environments in high quality? It is something like this:

I remember seeing someone post these on here but there was an aquatic ambiance one. Does anyone know what these are called or can show me where to find more? Thanks.

StormC

Smash Hero
This might seem off topic, but whatever. Does anyone know those pictures for DKC 1-3 where it shows the characters and environments in high quality? It is something like this:

I remember seeing someone post these on here but there was an aquatic ambiance one. Does anyone know what these are called or can show me where to find more? Thanks.
http://dkvine.com/games/gallery/artwork/

DKVine is gonna be your best bet. Mario Wiki has a fair amount too.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay, is Nintendo going to be a the Tokyo Game show tomorrow? If so, I doubt they'll be any smash news there never is at these kind of events it seems.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Good to see @ StormC StormC is back!

It's gonna be weird when this comes to an end. I think I'll be relieved to see it finished, but sad that that's the end of the ride for the foreseeable future. No sleep 'til Krocodile Isle~

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
What I'm surprised about is how very few talk about K. Rools arms. To me, they seem like another glaring difference between the Rare and PAON designs. how would you guys want K. Rools arms to look? Longer and gangly like the Rare design, or shorter and stubbier, like the PAON design? I personally kind of want a mix of arm lengths. Something that demonstrates longer arms, but not so long that they're almost bigger that K. Rools upper and lower body. that may make certain movements look awkward, and if he uses arm slashes for aerials or tilts, like @ Wintropy Wintropy suggested, long arms could mean really far reaching hitboxes (Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but something the Smash team might not want to do for the sake of balancing.).

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
What I'm surprised about is how very few talk about K. Rools arms. To me, they seem like another glaring difference between the Rare and PAON designs. how would you guys want K. Rools arms to look? Longer and gangly like the Rare design, or shorter and stubbier, like the PAON design? I personally kind of want a mix of arm lengths. Something that demonstrates longer arms, but not so long that they're almost bigger that K. Rools upper and lower body. that may make certain movements look awkward, and if he uses arm slashes for aerials or tilts, like @ Wintropy Wintropy suggested, long arms could mean really far reaching hitboxes (Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but something the Smash team might not want to do for the sake of balancing.).
The long arms make him more of a formidable fighter as shown in his boxing match in DK64.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
The long arms make him more of a formidable fighter as shown in his boxing match in DK64.
True, and the long arms would be more faithful to the Rare design. Although now that I compare the two designs, the arms aren't that differently sized. It really depends on the picture being looked at. In some PAON renders the arms are longer, and in some Rare renders, the arms look shorter. I tend to associate the long arms with the Rare design though.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
True, and the long arms would be more faithful to the Rare design. Although now that I compare the two designs, the arms aren't that differently sized. It really depends on the picture being looked at. In some PAON renders the arms are longer, and in some Rare renders, the arms look shorter. I tend to associate the long arms with the Rare design though.
If you look at some of the other kremlings like Krusha and Klubba, they have pretty long arms too.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
So just out of curiosity, but how much faith do you guys have that Sakurai will give us good character DLC like Wolf and Krool?
Plenty. I mean, he does want this to sell, right? otherwise he'd likely have Nintendo on his back.

Dunno Why you suggested K.Rool and Wolf though. Clearly not good characters.:troll: obviously amazing ones.

Anyone notice how K.Rool's hands became GIANT in DKC2 and 3?
If he brought those long arms and giant mitts to Smash, it would only be appropriate if he had a good grab.

So just out of curiosity, but how much faith do you guys have that Sakurai will give us good character DLC like Wolf and Krool?
I can't be certain about those two characters specifically, but I'm confident that Sakurai will pick some very popular characters.

Sakurai always gives us good content, but his character selection for the base game of SSB4 was a little odd and, I might even dare to say, some kind of ego experiment. WFT was wanted by almost nobody, Greninja was picked on a hunch, Palutena was probably more expected than wanted, Robin made it over Chrom, Mii was guaranteed to be polarizing. It's like he was saying "I want these characters no matter who else does."

Unlike Melee and Brawl which took fan suggestions before and during development, SSB4 had its roster picked with little data gathered, as far as we know. That's why we have the Smash Ballot now, and in so many languages besides Japanese. They're gathering the best popularity data they can via write-ins so they can pick characters with huge followings now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom