• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I'd cry for about an hour and then sit down in the corner of my room and spend the remainder of the day in that corner while thinking about the meaning of life.

Good thing theres no way that K. Rool would be a clone of any character.
I personally don't want him to be a clone, because I see his potential to be unique.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How would you guys feel if Sakurai decided to make him a clone of, say... Donkey Kong or Bowser?
I...don't see how that would be possible. Did you have any idea how that could happen?

I mean, maybe you can bull**** him shooting fire out of his blunderbuss, but what do you do about his shell, or lack thereof? Or his arms, which are significantly shorter than DK's?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I...don't see how that would be possible. Did you have any idea how that could happen?

I mean, maybe you can bull**** him shooting fire out of his blunderbuss, but what do you do about his shell, or lack thereof? Or his arms, which are significantly shorter than DK's?
Dunno, just throwing out the two that seem most likely, if it happens(which I would cry if it did).

D

Deleted member

How would you guys feel if Sakurai decided to make him a clone of, say... Donkey Kong or Bowser?
Heavily disappointed, especially when King K. Rool doesn't have the characteristics of Donkey Kong or Bowser. It would remind me heavily of Ganondorf as King K. Rool being a clone of either wouldn't make sense (like Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon for some reason) and King K. Rool has so much potential to have his own moveset (like Ganondorf since he has so many different powers, attributes, and weapons in the Zelda games that being a clone is outright lazy).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dedede is the only real moveset K. Rool can fully imitate, using his blunderbuss for the suction and as a hammer replacement, but even then, it's something that would never happen in-game. Their statures are entirely dissimilar, unlike every other clone to date, and K. Rool can't perform multiple mid-air jumps to boot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I did suggest him having Bowser's Melee Side B a page or so back... I really can't see him as a clone either actually. Maybe he could indeed have some similarities to Bowser, King Dedede and Wario even, but I don't see him ever becoming a clone.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I remember suggesting this sometime back that K. Rool might inherit Bowser's hunched pose, along with the hovercar dash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His hunched pose, yes. Portion of Bowser's 'ultra slow heavyweight' style from Melee / Brawl? Yes to. But the hovercar...? Am not seeing it.

And in all actuality, I still find the hovercar dash Bowser had extremely awkward.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Unless K. Rool randomly runs on all fours, which he's never, ever done, how could he do the hovercar dash? I mean, he can slide with his blunderbuss, but that's better suited for a dash attack, I'd think.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
To be fair, Ganondorf was a last minute addition who happened to have similar proportions to another character. I don't see that happening with K. Rool

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Ganondorf was a last minute addition who happened to have similar proportions to another character. I don't see that happening with K. Rool
Which is why I found it to be acceptable for Melee. For Brawl, he should have gotten his own moveset. With several characters getting moveset changes now, you bet that Ganondorf would be the first character that comes to mind as he is THE character that needs them.
I remember suggesting this sometime back that K. Rool might inherit Bowser's hunched pose, along with the hovercar dash.
I think that King K. Rool would have his running animations from Donkey Kong Country. Sakurai has borrowed some animations from the Donkey Kong Country games for Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, so I think that same logic would apply to King K. Rool.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Indeed at least Ganondorf had a similar build to Capt. Falcon, and with the darkness effect from OoT being able to replace Falcon's fire effects, it doesn't look weird for Ganondorf to use Capt. Falcon's moves.

K. Rool would look weird being a clone of anyone except Dedede, (well, except for generic claw attacks like that of Bowser's of course) and even then that isn't likely by any means.

If K. Rool got anything from Bowser that is (or rather, was) unique, it'd be Koopa Klaw.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think that Bowser was stood upright to account for another hunched over character...
But I think it would be Ridley if anyone. K. Rool can stand upright no problem.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think that Bowser was stood upright to account for another hunched over character...
But I think it would be Ridley if anyone. K. Rool can stand upright no problem.
Or maybe because that Bowser is being portrayed more recently in an upright position? I just see Ridley as....too small.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't see how Bowser's stance affects K. Rool much at all. I made some joke way back about Bowser being brought up to eye level with K. Rool and Ridley, but that's just silliness.

One comment I did see a while back talked about how, because Bowser has a few new moves, he's now "a whole new lizard king," and because of that, K. Rool would be edged out.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see how Bowser's stance affects K. Rool much at all. I made some joke way back about Bowser being brought up to eye level with K. Rool and Ridley, but that's just silliness.

One comment I did see a while back talked about how, because Bowser has a few new moves, he's now "a whole new lizard king," and because of that, K. Rool would be edged out.
I use that as an argument against Bowser Jr., I do not believe that Sakurai would make an overt effort to distinguish Bowser if Bowser Jr. was to be included. It isn't my only supporting reason; however, I honestly think it has a significant bearing on his chances. I fail to see how this has any correlation with K. Rool though, so I would just dismiss that notion.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, K. Rool is DEFINITELY not the 4th playable Kong.

No, see, that's the twist at the end of the game. Cranky laughs, unzips his suit, and then it says: "To be continued..."

Now there is talk of a 5th playable Kong, but honestly, K. Rool doesn't fit the bill for that anywho now that I think about it. Funky is my pick if it's true. Or Candy if they want moar women.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Well, since he's not the 4th playable character, then OMG K. ROOL IS DOOMED RELEVANCE LOLOLOLOL. He and Dixie don't need Tropical Freeze to get into Smash (though TF certainly helps rank Dixie higher in priority if Sakurai already wanted her in). The King will have his day, just not now.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, since he's not the 4th playable character, then OMG K. ROOL IS DOOMED RELEVANCE LOLOLOLOL. He and Dixie don't need Tropical Freeze to get into Smash (though TF certainly helps rank Dixie higher in priority if Sakurai already wanted her in). The King will have his day, just not now.

It's true. There's alot more fan demand for the King than other characters that have arisen from much longer gaps in relevancy.

Doesn't anyone remember that the frickin' Koopalings were completely dormant from Super Mario World -> New Super Mario Bros. Wii? I nearly flipped a **** when I saw them. They continue to be used to to this day now. I used to hear the same things about them that I hear about the Kremlings today, except less."Oh, Nintendo has forgotten them! Oh blah blah."

Speaking of which, the fact that Retro continues to be asked, and acknowledges them without dodging the question (At least in TF's case.) tells me they definitely aren't just neglecting them and likely have something greater planned for DK's #1 villains down the road.. At least I'm inclined to think that.

You know what else I've realized I like about the Returns games? They pay homage to DKC elements, without trying to pull those games into the same barn as the arcade games, respecting the autonomy of the series.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Doesn't anyone remember that the frickin' Koopalings were completely dormant from Super Mario World -> New Super Mario Bros. Wii? I nearly flipped a **** when I saw them. They continue to be used to to this day now. I used to hear the same things about them that I hear about the Kremlings today, except less."Oh, Nintendo has forgotten them! Oh blah blah."
The same thing happened with Dixie Kong. For 17 years she was regulated to just a spin-off character when suddenly she makes a comeback in a main-series DK platformer. Nintendo has always been about nostalgia and bringing back old ideas. Hell, even Pit had his universe revived after 21 years of being left dormant. If the past is any indication, Nintendo will eventually bring back K. Rool and the Kremlings, no matter how many times the "relevancy" argument gets thrown about. Maybe Smash could be the catalyst that brings this about.

Speaking of which, the fact that Retro continues to be asked, and acknowledges them without dodging the question (At least in TF's case.) tells me they definitely aren't just neglecting them and likely have something greater planned for DK's #1 villains down the road.. At least I'm inclined to think that.
I certainly hope so, but I don't want to expect it, so that I don't get disappointed.

You know what else I've realized I like about the Returns games? They pay homage to DKC elements, without trying to pull those games into the same barn as the arcade games, respecting the autonomy of the series.
I agree. While there was a bunch of backlash about Retro making another DKC game instead of a Metroid game, I was really excited. Retro does good work, and I love that they are paying homage to some of my favorite games from my childhood. The DKC series can still survive without Rare, even though I miss them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
W-wait there's gonna be a 5th playable Kong?

We're gonna get Lanky after all? :love:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
W-wait there's gonna be a 5th playable Kong?

We're gonna get Lanky after all? :love:
No there isn't. Reggie made a little joke about it at VGX since the host seemed to be fishing for more info from Reggie. But he did also outright state that there isn't anymore playable characters.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I didn't expect King K. Rool to be the fourth playable character. It doesn't seem likely for his character to do so. Even if King K. Rool isn't in Tropical Freeze, I'm still confident that we will see him be a playable character in SSB4.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
K. Rool could be Tropical Freezes other villain.

No, see, that's the twist at the end of the game. Cranky laughs, unzips his suit, and then it says: "To be continued..."

Now there is talk of a 5th playable Kong, but honestly, K. Rool doesn't fit the bill for that anywho now that I think about it. Funky is my pick if it's true. Or Candy if they want moar women.
Cranky wears a suit?

I need some fan art of Cranky with a tie.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool never stood any chance being the 4th character. But I really thought I predicted it well when I said Lanky would be it. Oh well, no problem for me. Playing as Cranky is all sort of amazing in it's own right. And damn, would I love to see him become playable in Smash to. Maybe not now, but him being playable in Tropical Freeze CERTAINLY will increase his demand.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd say Cranky's best chance to get in Smash 4 (in some form other than a basic trophy or sticker) is as an Assist Trophy.

I'd love to see him playable in Smash someday though. (but certainly not before K. Rool gets in)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I just realized something random today you guys.

The return of water levels = reasons to include Enguarde again.

The family's slowly coming back together!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I thought K. Rool had a reasonable chance of becoming the fourth character, based on the theory that there would be two heavyweights and two lightweights playable (which would narrow it down to him, Funky and Kiddy), up until it came out that the fourth character would also ride on DK's back, which obviously ruled out it being a heavyweight. In regard to the supposed fifth character, I think that's a misinterpretation of Reggie and that awkward Retro guy being noncommittal in the face of VGX douchebaggery, though it certainly would be a pleasant surprise. Even more of a pleasant surprise would be the option to play as any Kong other than Donkey during the main game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought K. Rool had a reasonable chance of becoming the fourth character, based on the theory that there would be two heavyweights and two lightweights playable (which would narrow it down to him, Funky and Kiddy), up until it came out that the fourth character would also ride on DK's back, which obviously ruled out it being a heavyweight. In regard to the supposed fifth character, I think that's a misinterpretation of Reggie and that awkward Retro guy being noncommittal in the face of VGX douchebaggery, though it certainly would be a pleasant surprise. Even more of a pleasant surprise would be the option to play as any Kong other than Donkey during the main game.

See, that's one of the things I love about Mario 3D World, and just makes sense. I know the DKC games are built on a structure of playing 2 characters, but what's the problem with letting us pick who it is?

Who knows, maybe they'll throw it in as a bonus mode if you clear the game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So I just realized something random today you guys.

The return of water levels = reasons to include Enguarde again.

The family's slowly coming back together!
Good. Here's to hoping Winky the frog, Ellie the elephant, Squitter the spider, Rattly the rattlesnake, and more of the others we haven't seen in a long time eventually come to follow...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
See, that's one of the things I love about Mario 3D World, and just makes sense. I know the DKC games are built on a structure of playing 2 characters, but what's the problem with letting us pick who it is?

Who knows, maybe they'll throw it in as a bonus mode if you clear the game.
There was a pretty cool theory I saw on GameFAQs about the possibility of playing as each of the Kongs. The user pointed to that first Cranky stage, with the KONG letter suspended above a bed of spikes, claiming that DK would never be able to collect that on his own without Cranky's Scrooge McDuck cane. Considering Returns had a Hard Mode where DK had no access to Diddy and yet was still capable of reaching all secrets, the user speculated that this could serve as a hint toward the option to choose Kongs.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There was a pretty cool theory I saw on GameFAQs about the possibility of playing as each of the Kongs. The user pointed to that first Cranky stage, with the KONG letter suspended above a bed of spikes, claiming that DK would never be able to collect that on his own without Cranky's Scrooge McDuck cane. Considering Returns had a Hard Mode where DK had no access to Diddy and yet was still capable of reaching all secrets, the user speculated that this could serve as a hint toward the option to choose Kongs.

I actually like that alot. Here's hoping that's true...

Good. Here's to hoping Winky the frog, Ellie the elephant, Squitter the spider, Rattly the rattlesnake, and more of the others we haven't seen in a long time eventually come to follow...
I want Squitter and Rattly back so badly. DKC2 had the absolute best animal buddies, and I really hope Retro finds a way to revive them, either in this game or another. Squitter OP.

Top Bottom