• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Not to knock Shantae but how is there serious discussion about including a rather small third party character over a villain who pioneered a main Nintendo franchise? I could understand if she were Sonic but she's not.
I still cant wrap my head around this either...or Shovel knight...
I really dont know...

Im lost..

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Huh.
King K. Rool.
He'd actually be a nice choice in my opinion.
Though of course I'd prefer Bandana Dee (though that should be pretty obvious), I believe K. Rool would be a great choice.
Only thing I see countering him is his Mii costume, but even then, Samus has a Mii costume and a helmet while playable, and when put together they look more like the character they're supposed to be than the K. Rool suit, so really, I guess I just took down the only doubt I had for him.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Do you guys find it odd that King K Rool is a king but he's not in a castle, he was on a pirate ship? And when he is a actual pirate he's not on a pirate ship? lol no?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I vote on fan polls and spread them on the Kampaign Twitter account. I don't create bots and spend hours each day putting in 63 or 90(!!) votes or whatever has happened with Shantae or Daisy or whoever on polls that don't even matter in the long run.

If I had to guess, they do it to fabricate a single piece of "evidence" they can throw around to justify saying "many many fans want my character in Smash and they're so popular." It's what we and Isaac have the luxury of doing, after all.

This one, plus an earlier Reddit one that Shovel Knight (remember him?) won, with us coming in second. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
Woke up this morning to find someone voted for Krystal 236 times on their iphone in a two hour period. And theres still 80 additional votes I cant determine are fraud (she was at 60 something last night, and now at 144 after I filtered those 236 votes) Still impressed K Rool fans and Isaac fans aren't going out of the fan to cheat on simple fan polls.

This does worry me though. If Krystal/Daisy/Shantae/Ashley fans are going to waste time spamming votes for a fan poll, how many times have they done so on the official poll. And will number actually catch the fraud, or will they count them and think fans want the right person.

I'm starting to see exactly what PushDustin meant by the online polling being difficult. Judging the outcry rather than numbers might be accurate here.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning to find someone voted for Krystal 236 times on their iphone in a two hour period. And theres still 80 additional votes I cant determine are fraud (she was at 60 something last night, and now at 144 after I filtered those 236 votes) Still impressed K Rool fans and Isaac fans aren't going out of the fan to cheat on simple fan polls.

This does worry me though. If Krystal/Daisy/Shantae/Ashley fans are going to waste time spamming votes for a fan poll, how many times have they done so on the official poll. And will number actually catch the fraud, or will they count them and think fans want the right person.

I'm starting to see exactly what PushDustin meant by the online polling being difficult. Judging the outcry rather than numbers might be accurate here.
Fans spamming votes on polls and Wayforward pushing her to Smash have slowly been turning me almost completely against Shantae. I haven't seen Ashley winning or even doing well in any poll, but she is already an AT, so her chances are very low anyway.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I know this isn't really K. Rool related entirely, but, to spark some discussion, which DKC game do you prefer? Donkey Kong Country, Diddy's Kong Quest, Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, Returns, or Tropical Freeze? Also, to keep K. Rool discussion going, which alias of K. Rool's do you like the most from the original trilogy?
My favourite DKC title is Donkey Kong Country 2, by many, many miles (this is followed by DKC, DKC3, and Returns; I have yet to pick up Tropical Freeze, as it's not a high priority for me due to it inheriting several things that I didn't like from Returns) - I love the piratical theme and how it ties the gameplay, music, and atmosphere together so well. It is one of very few games that I would describe as an epic.

As for my favourite K. Rool persona, it's Kaptain due to how much fun he is to fight and how very well it suits him, in conjunction with my views on DKC2 as a whole, but King is a very close second that's so near as to be almost equal.

Remember, this affects more than just which characters get chosen for Smash, like the difference between K. Rool coming back once and coming back for good.
Absolutely this. Everyone needs to bear in mind that the poll data will almost certainly be used beyond Smash, in accordance with decades of tradition and as stated by the Japanese ballot page (@PushDustIn - thanks for the translation of that!).

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Yes, there is only about a month left on the official ballot. Let's keep our focus on that. Don't stop supporting K. Rool, keep Miiversing and tweeting stuff!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Huh.
King K. Rool.
He'd actually be a nice choice in my opinion.
Though of course I'd prefer Bandana Dee (though that should be pretty obvious), I believe K. Rool would be a great choice.
Only thing I see countering him is his Mii costume, but even then, Samus has a Mii costume and a helmet while playable, and when put together they look more like the character they're supposed to be than the K. Rool suit, so really, I guess I just took down the only doubt I had for him.
In that case...

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman

Before reading the second paragraph, I was thinking the exact same thing, will they filter the votes or just use all of them. If so, then the ballot results will be completely different from what we are expecting.

Fans spamming votes on polls and Wayforward pushing her to Smash have slowly been turning me almost completely against Shantae. I haven't seen Ashley winning or even doing well in any poll, but she is already an AT, so her chances are very low anyway.
Same here, I like Pirate's Curse but it doesn't make me want her in smash. Plus the fact that
W̶a̶y̶f̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶a̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶d̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶W̶h̶y̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶d̶i̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶.̶

EDIT: Plus, we clearly need another anime character. Shantae fits that role perfectly.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
There is no need for Shantae. Any not Nintendo character who is in Smash should be a household name. Especially before characters like K Rool, Wolf, Toad , Inkling, waluigi, etc. get in. I'm sorry but Shantae is not even close to the level of Sonic, Pacman, Ryu, and Megaman. And yes I know you guys think we "Need an Indie character" but there is no way Shantae should be the one to rep Indie games.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
There is no need for Shantae. Any not Nintendo character who is in Smash should be a household name. Especially before characters like K Rool, Wolf, Toad , Inkling, waluigi, etc. get in. I'm sorry but Shantae is not even close to the level of Sonic, Pacman, Ryu, and Megaman. And yes I know you guys think we "Need an Indie character" but there is no way Shantae should be the one to rep Indie games.
The thing is any Nintendo owned character can be in smash to me, when it comes to third parties it is a matter of personal preferences. Shantae is not close to any of the third party characters in smash, including Rayman. They have history with nintendo and gaming in general. If shantae was that important to nintendo, let alone their indie scene, she would had already been a trophy. Commander Video is a trophy, he is there to show nintendo's indie history and he has been around for alot less than shantae.

We don't really need an indie character at all. I don't even understand why some people think we need one. There are much better choices for third-parties.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'd imagine they'll just ignore votes that have the same reasoning (or none for that matter).

And if they actually write a different reasoning every time then it's no different from what people in this or every other thread seem to do. Though personally I've only voted once.
EDIT: Plus, we clearly need another anime character. Shantae fits that role perfectly.
Alright, what the hell is this whole "anime characters" thing? Seriously one of the dumbest things things I've seen pop up in the Smash speculation.

Depreciating characters just because they look human and sticking an inaccurate label of "anime" on them despite their video game origins... What the heck. Especially with Shantae who was created by a western studio and has only resembled "anime" art style in Pirate's Curse. I don't want Shantae in Smash but I'm starting to get tired of this thread's obsession with her.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

Wait, the Daisy fans are doing it again?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So apparently at Pax Prime Nintendo will be showing Smash Bros, but for some reason with their upcoming Wii U games.
Do you guys think we may get a Smash announcement, or do you think Nintendo is just bringing Smash because it always draws up hype and Nintendo really loves to show off Smash everywhere they go? I could see either happening, since Nintendo has been turning down opportunities for a Direct by announcing things at events these past couple weeks (Like Pokken for Wii U), but it would probably be more likely to get an announcement when the Ballot ends.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I'm a little bit worried about the possibilities if Nintendo doesn't have a method of filtering out votes. We could be potentially in for a shock if they don't. Hell, voter fraud has impacted big time elections, now imagine how much voter fraud can impact a small scale ballot for a for video game.

So apparently at Pax Prime Nintendo will be showing Smash Bros, but for some reason with their upcoming Wii U games.
Do you guys think we may get a Smash announcement, or do you think Nintendo is just bringing Smash because it always draws up hype and Nintendo really loves to show off Smash everywhere they go? I could see either happening, since Nintendo has been turning down opportunities for a Direct by announcing things at events these past couple weeks (Like Pokken for Wii U), but it would probably be more likely to get an announcement when the Ballot ends.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. Nintendo didn't reveal any characters during the previous PAX events, when they still had many to reveal. I doubt we will get any here. Although its possible we could get a direct before PAX.....when is it even?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
They frequently take already-released evergreen games to events like this on a global scale is it is, and I don't believe this is any different. Nowadays, these titles (in the case of this particular event, Smash Wii U and Splatoon) also happen to be ones that are getting additional post-release updates, as well, meaning that it's still fitting to promote them alongside current titles, even if you don't consider their evergreen status.

Were this an event with a substantial 3DS showing, we'd doubtless be seeing them bring Smash 3DS, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Tomodachi Life as well, for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I saw Nintendo tweeted about PAX today which (correct me if I'm wrong) is something they have never done for a Smash tourney before

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
We don't really need an indie character at all. I don't even understand why some people think we need one. There are much better choices for third-parties.
I agree. All the 3rd party characters all represent something which I feel is what 3rd party characters should be in a game about NINTENDO'S ALL-STARS (even if this game is pretty much any nintendo character nowadays).

I mean if were gonna add any a non-nintendo character as insignificant Nintendo character we might as well just add f*****g Shrek.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I saw Nintendo tweeted about PAX today which (correct me if I'm wrong) is something they have never done for a Smash tourney before
If I remember correctly Nintendo Tweeted about the Smash Bros E3 2014 Toruney/Invitational back when that was a thing. And Nintendo will have much more than Smash Bros at PAX, it's just that Smash sticks out as being the only already released Wii U game that will be there with no brand new content (Excluding Splatoon, as it will be promoting the next Splatfest Event, and Nintendo is kinda treating that as new content)

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I agree. All the 3rd party characters all represent something which I feel is what 3rd party characters should be in a game about NINTENDO'S ALL-STARS (even if this game is pretty much any nintendo character nowadays).

I mean if were gonna add any a non-nintendo character as insignificant Nintendo character we might as well just add f*****g Shrek.
Totally agree. I don't want the Third-parties becoming cheapened like the Nintendo roster has. If anyone, it should be Rayman next or...God forsakes, Banjo, not Shovel Knight or Shantae just because lol there gam was gud.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well nintendo is going to PAX

Think anything smash related to the poll with the talking there

Nope

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Indeed. I think basement-ridden losers putting in hundreds or thousands of votes for the same (usually female) characters are a way, way bigger danger to K. Rool/Isaac/Wolf/whoever than "LOL CASUALS." Fortunately, if their flooding of these fan polls is any indicator, they're sloppy and want big results without putting in any actual work to get people to support their character.

If their spam can be that obviously detected by you and other fan poll operators, the Nintendo guys running the official ballot should have no problems cleaning out their junk. It's not as though they don't have a wealth of fan sites on which they can fact-check whether Daisy really is some ballot juggernaut.

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Indeed. I think basement-ridden losers putting in hundreds or thousands of votes for the same (usually female) character are a way, way bigger danger to K. Rool/Isaac/Wolf/whoever than "LOL CASUALS." Fortunately, if their flooding of these fan polls is any indicator, they're sloppy and want big results without putting in any actual work to get people to support their character.

If their spam can be that obviously detected by you and other fan poll operators, the Nintendo guys running the official ballot should have no problems cleaning out their junk. It's not as though they don't have a wealth of fan sites on which they can fact-check whether Daisy really is some ballot juggernaut.
i only voted once :3 for k. rool of course owo

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Indeed. I think basement-ridden losers putting in hundreds or thousands of votes for the same (usually female) characters are a way, way bigger danger to K. Rool/Isaac/Wolf/whoever than "LOL CASUALS." Fortunately, if their flooding of these fan polls is any indicator, they're sloppy and want big results without putting in any actual work to get people to support their character.

Well, the number of votes for a character barely matters at all. The ballot is more of a suggestion box, not…well, a ballot.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Well, the number of votes for a character barely matters at all. The ballot is more of a suggestion box, not…well, a ballot.
That sort of thinking is pretty baseless IMHO. Popularity = potentials sales. They're not going to waste resources on some random character who got 50 votes because it's a good suggestion. The higher the demand the higher the sales.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
That sort of thinking is pretty baseless IMHO. Popularity = potentials sales. They're not going to waste resources on some random character who got 50 votes because it's a good suggestion. The higher the demand the higher the sales.
That's why I said 'barely'. It holds some ground, to a point. The # of votes matter, but not as much as how much sense that character would make.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It is a suggestion box, in that Nintendo won't feel beholden to add characters based on numbers. The character with the most votes could be unfeasible for a number of reasons, which means there is some degree of crawlspace there to wheedle out of.

That said, quantity of votes definitely plays a big part, too. As Saurian said, the more a character is voted for, the more dedicated its fanbase, ergo the more potential return there is to be made from the character. Quality of votes definitely plays a part too, in that the fanbase's commitment will be demonstrated in the effort the fans put into their votes for the character.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Popularity plays a much bigger role then you think. Obviously popular picks like Shrek or Golu are unreasonable but being the the top 5, top 10 at the least does make a difference.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any new franchises in Smash, with the possible exception of Inkling.

If they're banking on fandom support to sell these characters, then they're going to want to appeal to the userbase that already has Smash. I don't think there are too many people out there who'd buy Smash just for one new DLC character from their favorite franchise. I think they'd rather bank of fans who already have it paying to upgrade it, and more characters from the provided series seems like the best way to do that. Splatoon gets a pass because it's on the Wii U and it's already gotten crazy popular with a fresh (Pun unintended) userbase from the getgo.

I swear, though. If we get more Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, or sword wielding characters, I might just pop a blood vessel.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I recognize this guy from Unseen 64, he does have ties with people that work in the game industry and has revealed a lot information about various cancelled games and betas, so he is somewhat reliable. But I don't think he has ever said/leaked anything about future projects/games, so it will be a good idea to keep an eye on him until he says something. Edit: He did give out some reliable info, like ZombiU getting a port to all other consoles, DT initially being rejected by NoA, and has stated that NX wont be as powerful as competitors (Which is still unknown, so as of now this guy has quite a bit of credibility)

Who is he though?
Hes from Unseen 64, he is known for having ties with people in the industry and discovering info on cancelled games and betas. (Heres his YT to show what he has done and is known for :https://www.youtube.com/user/LiamRproductions/videos)

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Some guy that some of the leak group says is a reliable source (Even PushDustIn).
He's so reliable, that he rightfully stated that Devil's Third was rejected by NoA...and caused fan backlash to persuade them to change their minds.

D

Deleted member

i understand that some shantae fans can be annoying but that's no reason to hate her, i don't want her in smash she isn't that deserving but i would't really mind her.
This does worry me though. If Krystal/Daisy/Shantae/Ashley fans are going to waste time spamming votes for a fan poll, how many times have they done so on the official poll. And will number actually catch the fraud, or will they count them and think fans want the right person..
oh god i hope not after all this time, and that one ashley guy who changed his ip, this could be bad....

Top Bottom