• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Holy crap!!! I have not been to ocremix in such a long loooong time! I had no idea they dedicated an entire album to Donkey Kong Country! Sweetness! Thanks! I'll definitely enjoy this!
No problem. :smash: They have albums for the first and third games, too, but this DKC2 one is my favourite by far.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
No problem. :smash: They have albums for the first and third games, too, but this DKC2 one is my favourite by far.
Well since you're sharing your golden soundtracks with me, I'll do the same. I've also always loved this soundtrack remix from Diddy's Konquest.

^ Savage Seduction. Another goodie! It's sooooo good!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, that's Isaac. They straightened his hair out and based him on Dark Dawn (hence the beard), but its definitely Isaac, there's no other top contender who fits that look. He's too young to be Snake, and the face is clearly Isaac, though it does throw you off at first.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Holy crap!!! I have not been to ocremix in such a long loooong time! I had no idea they dedicated an entire album to Donkey Kong Country! Sweetness! Thanks! I'll definitely enjoy this!
They have TWO dedicated albums....including songs performed by David Wise and Grant Kirkhope

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They have TWO dedicated albums....including songs performed by David Wise and Grant Kirkhope
There's actually three, one for each of DKC, DKC2, and DKC3. Though I think DKC is a special live version.

For DKC2's album, "Serious Monkey Business," there's also an EPIC song called "Kremlings Disarm Their Monkeys." Its got some cursing in it, but it fits K. Rool a lot (and its a remix of Crocodile Cacophany).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, Serious Monkey Business. How I love that soundtrack. There are lots of good tunes on there. I personally like Backwards Room and Trapped in the Minds.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Something I would like to say about my ideas of the 4 most likely smash DLC characters:

K.Rool: seems like the most likely candidate at the moment due to fan demand and moveset potential. However, his mii costume does raise some doubts. Probably: 9/10.

Isaac: While he does have fan demand and has a large following, Isaac would share similar role with Robin due to being a magic wielding sword fighter. This is a problem because sakurai doesn't really want to add characters with a similar or same niche. Fan demand does give him an advantage though. Probably: 7/10.

Wolf: Being a veteran helps his case quite a bit because sakurai and the team already have an idea on how to model him and would be fairly easy to add to the roster. His fan demand makes him one of the most highly requested characters in the smash community. He would also be a practically easy and profitable way to advertise SF0. Probably: 10/10.

Ridley: Being both a villain and a Metroid character does raise some demand for him and is a fairly unique character that could potentially be added as pure fan service. However, his appearance as a stage hazard in pyrosphere does lower his chances, but not to 0. Seeing as how Hazardley takes on the form of Ridley's imperfect clone, it is possible that the original Ridley could appear as a fighter, especially since the original (SM Ridley) has more humanoid limbs and shorter wings and tail, could be added somewhat easily. Probably: 5/10

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Something I would like to say about my ideas of the 4 most likely smash DLC characters: K.Rool: seems like the most likely candidate at the moment due to fan demand and moveset potential. However, his mii costume does raise some doubts. Probably: 9/10. Isaac: While he does have fan demand and has a large following, Isaac would share similar role with Robin due to being a magic wielding sword fighter. This is a problem because sakurai doesn't really want to add characters with a similar or same niche. Fan demand does give him an advantage though. Probably: 7/10. Wolf: Being a veteran helps his case quite a bit because sakurai and the team already have an idea on how to model him and would be fairly easy to add to the roster. His fan demand makes him one of the most highly requested characters in the smash community. He would also be a practically easy and profitable way to advertise SF0. Probably: 10/10. Ridley: Being both a villain and a Metroid character does raise some demand for him and is a fairly unique character that could potentially be added as pure fan service. However, his appearance as a stage hazard in pyrosphere does lower his chances, but not to 0. Seeing as how Hazardley takes on the form of Ridley's imperfect clone, it is possible that the original Ridley could appear as a fighter, especially since the original (SM Ridley) has more humanoid limbs and shorter wings and tail, could be added somewhat easily. Probably: 8/10
Have you accounted for the fact that the DLC must sell to a very wide audience?

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Have you accounted for the fact that the DLC must sell to a very wide audience?
Yes. It is one of the reasons that Isaac isn't a 9. Because very few people(the new smash generation) know about his existence. Ridley I put down as an 8 for obvious reasons. K.Rool is a 9 because of the incredibly large fanbase and would be a 10 if it weren't for the costume. Wolf is a 10 because Starfox has gained a lot of attention from nintendo fans recently.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Honestly, I think Smash will be better off without Sakurai; I mean, the man is great and charismatic, but many of his decisions since Brawl have made it clear that he's sort of become a grump who yells at kids for not doing what he wants them to do (ie: play Smash as a party game). With a new director comes new vision for the series, and as long as it doesn't go down the on-disk DLC route, or overcharging for DLC, and was designed more like Melee was, with an open, free-flowing combat system and a much deeper technical movepool, I doubt we'd really have too much of an issue.
Agreed. he really seemd just too toxic, stubborn, and closeminded ever since brawl. honestly one of the things i loved about melee(wavedashing and exploits aside) was how it was a fun game that was a blast in BOTH casuals and competitive environements. i mean heck, melee's still my favorite official smash to play and i've never even competed in a tourney! One of the things i loved about it in particular was how freeform and fluid combat felt whilst in the smash games afterward i often find myself feeling very limited in terms of what i can do offensively. There also several absolutely baffling design decisions he's left sloppily unfixed(such as zelda in general being crap for 3 GAMES, 3 GAMES DFSDSDF)
1. Sakurai's BS on Ridley's playability. Don't say things like "convoluted hocus-pocus" when you designed Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, Villager, and WFT and especially don't say **** about "accurate portrayals" when things like Ganondorf being a C. Falcon clone, Mario not being jolly and cheery like his canon counter part, Ness and Lucas using moves they can't use, Robin using Nosferatu and the Villager attacking people (Lol, "Too peaceful for Smash", sure as hell made that work out) exist.

2. Sakurai's mind set circle jerk on the competitive nature of this series even though Smash 64 and Melee are prime examples of "easy to jump into, difficult to master." With 64 being the most prominent in my eyes. Just as a BTW I have nothing against Smash 4 or ANY of the smash games for that matter.

3. Smash Tour's existence.

4. Ganondorf still a ****ty clone and not given a move-set based on source material.

5. Lack of options for Smash Run and not being able to physically meet up with players in Smash Run (My second issue most likely has to do with 3DS's power but still, I think it possibly could've been achieved).

6. No Stage hazard toggle because it would be: "Too much like Play-station All-Stars."

And that's about it.
also most of these points.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yes. It is one of the reasons that Isaac isn't a 9. Because very few people(the new smash generation) know about his existence. Ridley I put down as an 8 for obvious reasons. K.Rool is a 9 because of the incredibly large fanbase and would be a 10 if it weren't for the costume. Wolf is a 10 because Starfox has gained a lot of attention from nintendo fans recently.
Really? I must say, knowing sales and the impact a given series' overall exposure outside of focussed hobbyists likely have on how the respective DLC will sell, I see it very differently. I'm personally very wary of the echo-chamber effect that @PushDustIn has mentioned before.

K. Rool is about the only one of those listed that a large number of people know, even outside of the Smash fan-base - he appeared in a lot of huge games, and is well-remembered by at least a couple of generations of players. Conversely, most people have never heard of Golden Sun (I'm a lifelong video game enthusiast, and I only know of it solely because I knew one person who played the first one :laugh:). The Star Fox and Metroid characters are probably better-known from Smash than from their own respective series, seeing as Smash has markedly higher sales than either (I do agree that Wolf has an advantage due to being a veteran, though).

I should stress that this is nothing against any of these characters - I would like to see them all, even if some of them don't interest me, as I welcome more variety. The thing is, if we were talking about a base roster here, I probably wouldn't see it this way, but there is going to be an impact from commercial concerns as far as this DLC goes, and I'm unsure as to whether it's given enough credit.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Something I would like to say about my ideas of the 4 most likely smash DLC characters: K.Rool: seems like the most likely candidate at the moment due to fan demand and moveset potential. However, his mii costume does raise some doubts. Probably: 9/10. Isaac: While he does have fan demand and has a large following, Isaac would share similar role with Robin due to being a magic wielding sword fighter. This is a problem because sakurai doesn't really want to add characters with a similar or same niche. Fan demand does give him an advantage though. Probably: 7/10. Wolf: Being a veteran helps his case quite a bit because sakurai and the team already have an idea on how to model him and would be fairly easy to add to the roster. His fan demand makes him one of the most highly requested characters in the smash community. He would also be a practically easy and profitable way to advertise SF0. Probably: 10/10. Ridley: Being both a villain and a Metroid character does raise some demand for him and is a fairly unique character that could potentially be added as pure fan service. However, his appearance as a stage hazard in pyrosphere does lower his chances, but not to 0. Seeing as how Hazardley takes on the form of Ridley's imperfect clone, it is possible that the original Ridley could appear as a fighter, especially since the original (SM Ridley) has more humanoid limbs and shorter wings and tail, could be added somewhat easily. Probably: 8/10
I think K Rool is the most likely....followed by Isaac. Both have huge demand. Id say Rayman is up there as well for most likely 3rd party.

I don't consider Wolf part of this ranking, since hes very very likely to be preballot.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Isaac is a pretty solid 7, but the only ones I'd rank higher are K. Rool and Wolf anyway.

Considering Ridley's predicament... There's no possible way Ridley is even close to an 8. There's no logical way Ridley is higher than a 5. I agree on Isaac being a 7, but no way Ridley is an 8.

Also it'd be easier if you spaced out the characters into separate lines at the very least.

As far as Isaac is concerned, he's by far the biggest new franchise character in the running for requests right now. And frankly, Golden Sun was very HUGE at the start of the GBA, as it was one of the first games released and quickly became quite popular. Isaac was very highly requested before Brawl, and dropped off since but is still maintaining a solid fanbase.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I think K Rool is the most likely....followed by Isaac. Both have huge demand. Id say Rayman is up there as well for most likely 3rd party.

I don't consider Wolf part of this ranking, since hes very very likely to be preballot.
Good point, but I think sakurai said EVERY THING from here on out would be fan service. That would include Wolf.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I think Isaac is a pretty solid 7, but the only ones I'd rank higher are K. Rool and Wolf anyway.

Considering Ridley's predicament... There's no possible way Ridley is even close to an 8. There's no logical way Ridley is higher than a 5. I agree on Isaac being a 7, but no way Ridley is an 8.

Also it'd be easier if you spaced out the characters into separate lines at the very least.

As far as Isaac is concerned, he's by far the biggest new franchise character in the running for requests right now. And frankly, Golden Sun was very HUGE at the start of the GBA, as it was one of the first games released and quickly became quite popular. Isaac was very highly requested before Brawl, and dropped off since but is still maintaining a solid fanbase.
Yea now I'm starting to see that the Ridley thing is mostly me really wanting him. I will fix it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, on the Direct that we are hoping will come out this week, it should be announced by tomorrow. If for any reason there is not one, we should get one announced next Tuesday. That would be the most likely date if there is no Direct announced tomorrow.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I did put Wolf as a 10 though...
Sorry, my point was that I think you underrated Isaac in your explanation, but the actual number ranking itself was fine. My point was: I think Isaac's stands is way better than what you say, but when I think about it, I'd still give him a 7, and the only characters I would rank higher anyway are K. Rool and Wolf (who I agree at having the same ranks).

Basically, I didn't agree with your explanation. I did agree with the number (maybe ranking K. Rool at only an 8), but not for the reasoning you stated. I was considering upping Isaac to an 8, but decided, well, the only characters I rank higher than Isaac anyway are K. Rool and Wolf, so 7 isn't a bad rank.

I hope I explained things accurately enough.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Sorry, my point was that I think you underrated Isaac in your explanation, but the actual number ranking itself was fine. My point was: I think Isaac's stands is way better than what you say, but when I think about it, I'd still give him a 7, and the only characters I would rank higher anyway are K. Rool and Wolf (who I agree at having the same ranks).

Basically, I didn't agree with your explanation. I did agree with the number (maybe ranking K. Rool at only an 8), but not for the reasoning you stated. I was considering upping Isaac to an 8, but decided, well, the only characters I rank higher than Isaac anyway are K. Rool and Wolf, so 7 isn't a bad rank.

I hope I explained things accurately enough.
It was. I fixed it so that Ridley is a 5, K.Rool is still at a 9 because of Sakurai logic, Isaac is a 7, and Wolf at 10!

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
You really think Wolf is that likely, based on that article or whatever it is?

Just asking to make sure.
More because Nintendo would be making big money off of an advertisement for a game that will already net them lots of money. It would make business sence. Millions of people paying $4 for a character (already $4,000,000 there) plus millions of people buying a $60 game (60,000,000 on the game) and together that makes around $64,000,000! So that would be an extra $4,000,000 off of one smash character alone! AT MINIMUM!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
More because Nintendo would be making big money off of an advertisement for a game that will already net them lots of money. It would make business sence. Millions of people paying $4 for a character (already $4,000,000 there) plus millions of people buying a $60 game (60,000,000 on the game) and together that makes around $64,000,000! So that would be an extra $4,000,000 off of one smash character alone! AT MINIMUM!
So, you are saying they'll want to make money off of characters that have a high demand? I understand that, but I ask to make sure.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Whilst it is indeed good business sense to use DLC as an extra advertisement in this way, the reasoning may be a little off. Reason being, Star Fox Zero is unlikely to sell one million copies, let alone multiple millions. The series has sharply dropped off in sales with each successive installment, with the most recent release not even clocking in at a million even though it was a "much-demanded" remake.

View attachment 68886 Updated my Moveset. Now with more stage controlly-ness
I just want to say that I really love the image for The Kredits. :laugh:

I'm a tad late to the party, but this is easily my favorite remix in the OC group's DKC2 album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjO2g8nQShU

Also, I just noticed that K. Rool's Trophy's arms are a mirrored version of Donkey Kong's.

Nice touch. (Also, I have no idea how to shrink images)
I just tried to imagine this pose on the new Rare-style model that we can infer from the Mii costume. I wish I hadn't.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm a tad late to the party, but this is easily my favorite remix in the OC group's DKC2 album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjO2g8nQShU

Also, I just noticed that K. Rool's Trophy's arms are a mirrored version of Donkey Kong's.

Nice touch. (Also, I have no idea how to shrink images)
That track is one of my favorites, too. It is so beautiful.

Nice observation with the trophies, by the way.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Whilst it is indeed good business sense to use DLC as an extra advertisement in this way, the reasoning may be a little off. Reason being, Star Fox Zero is unlikely to sell one million copies, let alone multiple millions. The series has sharply dropped off in sales with each successive installment, with the most recent release not even clocking in at a million even though it was a "much-demanded" remake.
Well let's just assume it sells well. Nintendo would be raking in the cash!

Scorpob

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scorpob
3DS FC
5284-2304-0408
Time for some questions:

1.What is your favorite thing from K.Rool?
2.What pose do you think King K.Rool's render is gonna have?
3.If you had to give K.Rool a new place to live, what it would be?
4.Do you have any fond memories of this thread? if so, what are they?
5.Do you think K.Rool is gonna be competitively viable?
6.Has K.Rool always been your most wanted character? or there has been any other character you wanted more that has been confirmed/discomfirmed?
7.What would be your reaction to K.Rool?
8.What will you do after K.Rool is released? will you still support other characters? or are you gonna quit speculation?
9.Do you hate me?
1. I really like the design of the character, the menacing role he plays in the donkey kong games and his iconic eye tic.
2. I hope his official render resembles this: (Or at least be one of his taunts)

3. A new ship like Gankplank galleon.
4. Joining and getting the "One of Us" video.
5. I hope he'll be more competitively viable than other heavyweights, the fact that he could have a projectile and fast attacks could help him.
6. Around Brawl is when I thought about wanting King K. Rool but never really though it would happen. Before Smash 4 was released, :4pacman: was my most wanted character. And now since the smash ballot was released, I think now could be K. Rool's biggest chance to get a spot!
7. I would be so excited I'd immediately call all my friends, download him ASAP and have a full King K. Rool 8 player smash :p
8. I really honestly only care about 2 characters getting in at this point, K. Rool and Banjo. After K. Rool gets released I'll move on to support banjo, and after that I'll quit speculation.
9. Yes, with all my heart, yes. (Jk)

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
To be fair, it's kind of hard to describe Toad. I think he has Smash uniqueness for days, but how would you sum him up in a few words? Light weight zoner?
I have no idea. But they made Duck Hunt a character. If they can give him a moveset, they should be able to find a way to give Toad one.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well let's just assume it sells well. Nintendo would be raking in the cash!
Honestly I have a hard time even assuming it well sell well. It looks rushed, especially graphically. I know it's taking a graphical hit with its (incredibly wonky) two screen approach with gyro controls (both screens run at 60fps so credit must be given where its due) and its story mode apparently only lasts the length of a "feature length movie" so just a couple hours (Miyamoto stated that beating Star Fox Zero takes the same time as it would watching a movie). It also has no multiplayer because of the dual screen mechanic, online or otherwise (not even local that we know of but this...no, this isn't changing, it's too close to its planned launch and they have no reason to keep it a secret). Let's break it down:

Pros:
  • Runs at 60fps on both screens
  • Several different vehicles to choose from
Cons:
  • Game looks visually bad, especially for one at the end of a console's lifespan and one that should be a big ticket item for Wii U owners. It just looks rushed (with Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault, both on Gamecube, looking better graphically than a game late into a gen two gens later)
  • No multiplayer at all
  • Very short campaign length (figure about 2-3 hours at best given Miyamoto's statements)
  • Gryo controls were said to be very wonky at E3 (though I think they mentioned they can be turned off to be control stick based) and you'll end up looking at only one screen or the other anyway
Look, Miyamoto, this is NOT the game the Wii U needs right now. I know your options are limited in trying to convince the (small) install base of the Wii U they aren't being abandoned, but Star Fox Zero is not the game to do this with! I hope like hell you aren't selling this at a $60 price tag. I get that Star Fox 64 and older games were played repeatedly to get high scores and times and such but this **** isn't going to work in this day and age unless it's a $20 max E-Shop title, and even that price might be stretching it. Your insistance on making the GamePad relevant killed this game's promise by disabling multiplayer and reducing the visual detail of the game drastically when it should be pushing the Wii U's boundaries. Just a rushed alimony payment and probably the last we'll ever see of Star Fox again if this bombs, which it likely will at this point if it keeps getting the press it has been (which it rightfully deserves).

Rant over, I have a lot of issues with this game. And I apologize, since this is a thread dedicated to K. Rool and I'm here whining about Star Fox Zero.

Edit: I will likely get flamed for this, but if there's one game I need to stick to my guns with about my complaints, it's SFZ

Last edited:
Top Bottom