• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jumpy sheiks, should it be done?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've seen gimpy and reno have this style, and I think its effective but hard to perform, it almost makes it seem to have a marth like effect where it feels safe to approach but its really not.

Heres an example: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xhxQ1pCtogg

Alot of backflipping and autocanceling...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What?

lol

Jumpy is useful for some matchups, but overuse it and you're just asking for pain. Sheik has awesome aerials, but her ground speed is too good not to take advantage of.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Worked for him.

Would have been a three stock if he recovered better.

I don't see what's wrong with it. Just because it seems hard doesn't mean it is.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
jumpy sheiks are awesome, good intimidation and leads to openings, i use it a lot against ROBs since it baits an attack and lets you hit from a diagonally down approach that is generally the safest way to hit a rob player

... its just really annoying to keep up during a whole match though :(

demodemo

Smash Ace
depends if i am feeling aggressive

some stocks i will shorthop like crazy. just empty shorthops for spacing, then attacking when i see an opening (sort of like dash dancing in melee)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
The constant short-hop aerials approaches, empty short-hops, and short-hop retreating F-Air > autocancel F-Tilt is definitely a nice mix-up and makes it difficult for the enemy to predict what you'll be doing.

I particularly like the SH retreating F-Air > F-Tilt as many people tend to fall for it and since Sheik's F-Air comes out and autocancels so quickly, the F-Tilt is unexpected; Sheik pretty much has a medium priority hitbox out for the whole backflip. The controls for it are tricky though, as you need to have quick finger dexterity to be able to SH-backwards, F-Air, and then autocancel an F-Tilt.

But I have to agree with Ankoku, while Sheik's aerials are awesome, I think you'd still need to mix it up with a healthy amount of ground game and utilizing Sheik's very nice ground speed. I'm all for variety :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Really? SH retreating fair ftilt seems pretty easy to me.

Then again, I did that stuff in Melee, and Sheik's shorthop was the only annoyingly difficult thing I bothered to learn in Melee.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
The biggest trouble for me is probably making sure the SH-retreat... is a short-hop. Sometimes I overpress during the SH and the whole thing just gets ruined :( I guess more practice will make it easier :D Hopefully the time I've been putting in to get Samus' retreating SH > Z-Air/MC Homing missile will help out.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Press the bottom edge of X, then slide your thumb off. Easy way of shorthopping unless you have a more comfortable method.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Playing jumpy isn't innately bad, but attacking into someone's shiled with an aerial is ******** and gets you punished. (I know, becasue it's my biggest weakness right now.)

...however, as Ankoku said, her aerials are great, so playing jumpy isn't wrong, as long as you don't jump into the ****.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
yay i'm not the only one that uses x :]
i love the X button:chuckle:, i love to jump with sheik because it takes the attention away from my ground game then the ftilts just start pouring in, right next to my DACUS

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
If you're having trouble SHFFing, just roll your finger from X to A to C-Down quickly, while holding whatever direction you want to aerial.

By the time you pressed A, you've only held X long enough to Short Hop.
By the time you press C-Down, you already pressed A, so it won't matter. You just fastfall.

So, all you gotta do is roll your thumb from 12 to 9 o'clock.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
both ways have their advantages espicially depending on the character you are playing against as well as your opponents playstyle

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
I'd say learn it, and mix up your playstyle. Aggressive switches in playstyle (that is, if you're good with the playstyles you're mixing up) can really throw an opponent off, pressuring them into a mistake. If Sheik has a good airgame and a good ground game, why not take advantage of both?

Plus, if you're not already in the habit of it, SHFFing is just something you should learn how to do.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've been experimenting alot with this, it helped my sheik a bit by making me more unpredictable, plus I just like sheik better in general now :D

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I find that I use SHs to cancel my run quite a lot. I usually go for retreating fair or empty landing _> dash dance/approach from there.

Top Bottom