• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Force - What Happened?

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Developed by Spike Chunsoft and published by Bandai Namco, Jump Force is a crossover arena-based fighting game that consists of characters featured from a variety of different Shonen Jump mangas from One Piece, Dragon Ball to Naruto. Sadly, the game ended recieving mixed reviews citing its underwhelming story mode to its questionable gameplay mechanics.

Even though Jump Force did gain DLC support for a few seasons, the support for the game came to a close last year.

Those who had played Jump Force, what were your thoughts and what do you think could had been better and improved?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean i cant say much as i havent played it but vthere are a few things i should comment on:
1. The God Awful Artsyle So Ugly and Porey Cel Shaded wouldve been the way to go!
2. Even tho Character Creation is a big selling point of the game you cant give your Cac For Example Gokus Big Eyes Your Stuck with small realistic ones!
3. Some Roster Choices While Kaguya Is Unique she shouldnt have been in the Starting Roster Madara Shouldve been and Sakura couldve been the Female Naruto rep instead or Hinata Like Kaguya is really Hated by a ton of Naruto fans (i mean Boruto is too but no way in hell they wont add him)
Also Cell Shouldnt Have Been Part of The DBZ Roster Gohan or Kuririn Shouldve Been! (or if it had to be a villain Beerus)
(The Other Anime I Watched check out so far)
4. No Costumes for the Anime Characters this sucks especially as some character like Goku are stuck in their Worst Outfits (Seriously outside of a Manga Gokus No Kanji Look should never be used)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
3. Some Roster Choices While Kaguya Is Unique she shouldnt have been in the Starting Roster Madara Shouldve been and Sakura couldve been the Female Naruto rep instead or Hinata Like Kaguya is really Hated by a ton of Naruto fans (i mean Boruto is too but no way in hell they wont add him)
Also Cell Shouldnt Have Been Part of The DBZ Roster Gohan or Kuririn Shouldve Been! (or if it had to be a villain Beerus)
I’ve always found cell a bit weird of a pick when most of his allure in a game like this is that he uses some of the same techniques as goku, frieza, etc. who are already in the game.

Kaguya was an absolutely dog**** pick and it’s absolutely astonishing that she was in, and especially over Madara. I unironically think it was one of the lamest roster picks for a fighting game period.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I felt that they really missed opportunities to include characters from different (as well as upcoming) Shonen Jump franchises.

Whilst I do appreciate the inclusions of City Hunter's Ryo Saeba, Dragon Quest Kai's Dai, Yu-Gi-Oh's Yugi Muto and Seto Kaiba, I do feel that they could had included characters from newer franchises from Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone along with some older franchises.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I felt that they really missed opportunities to include characters from different (as well as upcoming) Shonen Jump franchises.

Whilst I do appreciate the inclusions of City Hunter's Ryo Saeba, Dragon Quest Kai's Dai, Yu-Gi-Oh's Yugi Muto and Seto Kaiba, I do feel that they could had included characters from newer franchises from Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, Dr. Stone along with some older franchises.
They cant use anyone from demonslayer as thats lioke the one shounen jump anim,e bandai doesnt have the license for!
(It still developed by the same team as naruto ninja storm tho!)

D

Deleted member

Cutting all the comedy, sports and SOL characters (which also means cutting most of the female characters) was lame.

I kinda get them wanting to replicate Xenovese consdering how much money that makes them but I think the focus on the hub world and story mode stuff was the wrong move and I'd prefered for them to build off j stars. I don't actually care that they didn't dub it but them making the game ugly as sin to appeal to the west and then not doing an English dub was so stupid.

I don't really have many problems with the characters that they chose though. DLC took things to a bit of extreme with over repping certain series though

psb123

Smash Cadet
I've never played it, but it honestly doesn't interest me.

Though there are some good things I can say about it. I like the movesets they gave Yugi and Kaiba, I'm glad that Asta is in the game, and I do like the idea of the character creator, even if in execution it was lacking.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Never played it but it feels like it's catered to the type of western shonenbros who post Naruto clips on Twitter and Instagram every day rather than people who are interested in Jump manga as a whole. If you need evidence for that, just look at the roster - only battle shonen were represented. That is insanely disrespectful on so many levels, especially when you consider that Dragon Ball originated as a gag manga (and arguably peaked when it was still that don't @ me). I love Hunter x Hunter but did we really need 6 characters from that series?

The art style sucked so much ass, they wanted to replicate the MCU feel since it came out at the peak of its hype and went for a realistic look that made every single character look like animatronic version of themselves and made an "epic" story mode where all the Jump characters team up to save the "Jump universe", whatever the **** that means.

And from what I heard the gameplay was just a generic arena fighter. If we were to get another Jump crossover game (which I hope we do since I really do love Jump), I hope they go for the Dragon Ball FighterZ approach in terms of gameplay and make a more all-encompassing roster. Also, I would really like it if they included Jump+ characters since that publication has been getting bigger and bigger in the last couple of years, especially with last year's Spy x Family anime adaptation. Then again, they might want to keep the brands separate since Captain Velvet Meteor is a thing but tbh with how many mainline Jump spinoffs having a home in Jump+ and some series explicitly jumping ship there, I don't think that's possible.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Never played it but it feels like it's catered to the type of western shonenbros who post Naruto clips on Twitter and Instagram every day rather than people who are interested in Jump manga as a whole. If you need evidence for that, just look at the roster - only battle shonen were represented. That is insanely disrespectful on so many levels, especially when you consider that Dragon Ball originated as a gag manga (and arguably peaked when it was still that don't @ me). I love Hunter x Hunter but did we really need 6 characters from that series?

The art style sucked so much ass, they wanted to replicate the MCU feel since it came out at the peak of its hype and went for a realistic look that made every single character look like animatronic version of themselves and made an "epic" story mode where all the Jump characters team up to save the "Jump universe", whatever the **** that means.

And from what I heard the gameplay was just a generic arena fighter. If we were to get another Jump crossover game (which I hope we do since I really do love Jump), I hope they go for the Dragon Ball FighterZ approach in terms of gameplay and make a more all-encompassing roster. Also, I would really like it if they included Jump+ characters since that publication has been getting bigger and bigger in the last couple of years, especially with last year's Spy x Family anime adaptation. Then again, they might want to keep the brands separate since Captain Velvet Meteor is a thing but tbh with how many mainline Jump spinoffs having a home in Jump+ and some series explicitly jumping ship there, I don't think that's possible.
So Hunter x Hunter got 6 characters i gues that checks out after all i just know the story up to the 4th arc (The Kurapika one) so i only recognized Gon, Kurapika, Killua and Hisoka which in my opinion should be enough for a crossover game!
Yeah the focus on battle shounen is weird i mean yeah battle shounen are the most popular kind but there still shouldve been some gag manga Characters!

I also wouldve cut Transfomrations out of the game (and made some costumes) as they are usually unbalanced im just going over the 2 Anime i know fully that being Dragonball and Naruto starting with DB:

its his Kid Version cause Db Rep!

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, the biggest problem with Jump Force's roster is not just the blatant favoritism toward battle shonen, but the blatant favoritism toward specific battle shonen series - namely Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Hunter x Hunter. For context, those were the only series to have more than two fighters on the game's base roster - and all of them still got DLC fighters anyway!

Speaking of Jump Force's DLC fighters, from what I can tell not a single one of them was from a series not already in the base game - like, I get wanting to include more fighters from series that didn't get enough representation in the base game (seriously, why was Deku the only My Hero Academia character on Jump Force's base roster?), but they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to include representation for more recent Shonen Jump manga that had proven popular with readers (Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Chainsaw Man immediately come to mind) and even some from older Jump manga that hadn't gotten representation (I've noticed that Jump Force has a distressing lack of representation for manga released in the 2000s other than Bleach and Death Note, the latter of which doesn't even have playable representation...).

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
In my opinion, the biggest problem with Jump Force's roster is not just the blatant favoritism toward battle shonen, but the blatant favoritism toward specific battle shonen series - namely Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Hunter x Hunter. For context, those were the only series to have more than two fighters on the game's base roster - and all of them still got DLC fighters anyway! Speaking of Jump Force's DLC fighters, from what I can tell not a single one of them was from a series not already in the base game - like, I get wanting to include more fighters from series that didn't get enough representation in the base game (seriously, why was Deku the only My Hero Academia character on Jump Force's base roster?), but they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to include representation for more recent Shonen Jump manga that had proven popular with readers (Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Chainsaw Man immediately come to mind) and even some from older Jump manga that hadn't gotten representation (I've noticed that Jump Force has a distressing lack of representation for manga released in the 2000s other than Bleach and Death Note, the latter of which doesn't even have playable representation...).
I mean Db Does deserve some credit considering how many manga would be completly diffrent without it!
Also i mean roster space wouldnt have been an issue if they used simpler character designs and maybe cut storymode!
Lastly Bandai cant use demonslayer characters otherwise they probably would have thrown tanjiro in there... Maybe!

Jondolio

Smash Hero
In my opinion, the biggest problem with Jump Force's roster is not just the blatant favoritism toward battle shonen, but the blatant favoritism toward specific battle shonen series - namely Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Hunter x Hunter. For context, those were the only series to have more than two fighters on the game's base roster - and all of them still got DLC fighters anyway!

Speaking of Jump Force's DLC fighters, from what I can tell not a single one of them was from a series not already in the base game - like, I get wanting to include more fighters from series that didn't get enough representation in the base game (seriously, why was Deku the only My Hero Academia character on Jump Force's base roster?), but they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to include representation for more recent Shonen Jump manga that had proven popular with readers (Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Chainsaw Man immediately come to mind) and even some from older Jump manga that hadn't gotten representation (I've noticed that Jump Force has a distressing lack of representation for manga released in the 2000s other than Bleach and Death Note, the latter of which doesn't even have playable representation...).
I remember in 2020 when basically no one was talking about the game anymore and DLC pass 2 was announced. In hindsight that would've been prime opportunity to introduce more series to this game, especially after Demon Slayer got so big in 2019 but instead they just tripled down on the approach they made to selecting characters for the base roster. It's mind boggling

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
IMO the art, or roster is not what broke this game. I thought transformations were cool, and rostering stuff is personal opinion. I don't think Jump force ending is necessarily a bad thing. Jump stars victory vs was fun, and different from jump force. Hopefully the next jump game will take feedback and improve. I think overall it was a lot more comprehnsive in some aspects than victory vs. Though some things in jump stars were good I think it was good to experiment with change. For now I think there should be a new iteration with a new generation of characters. Maybe shonen jump ultimate some day.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
As someone who's done a lot of research on Shonen Jump over the years, JF continues to be the most baffling thing ever. They basically went "**** you" to their amazing library in favor of catering to the lowest common denonimator of anime/manga fans. Credit where credit's due, it included some very inspired picks in the form of Yu-Gi-Oh, City Hunter, Dai no Daiboken and Death Note - all of which were super iconic Jump manga that had nothing in the previous game - but the roster as a whole still feels like desperately chasing Western shonenbros. And I mean, it kinda seems to have worked, going by the amount of people who make their own rosters with like 10 franchises total and seem to think the most pressing issue with the game's roster was that there weren't more Black Clover characters. And then DLC only dug in its heels deeper.

It's crazy too cause like......every other 50th anniversary thing they did, from mobile games to figures to exhibits to celebratory artwork, did an amazing job at showcasing the variety of Jump's catalogue. And then the big console game comes out here and is like "**** that, we want to cater to people who only watch Dragon Ball and Naruto".

I've considered making my own roster for a sort of alternate timeline "what if Jump Force was good" scenario, closer to a sort of J-Stars 2. If I do, I'll share it here

psb123

Smash Cadet
Legitimate question here.

Is One Punch Man a Shonen Anime? I don't actually know.

If it is, then there's another one in the realm of surprising omissions.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Legitimate question here.

Is One Punch Man a Shonen Anime? I don't actually know.

If it is, then there's another one in the realm of surprising omissions.
I believe it’s considered Seinen. It also was never published in shonen jump which I’m assuming is probably the qualifier for being in the crossover, like it is for many other jump crossovers.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Alright, here's that roster I mentioned.

Keep in mind this roster isn't being made from a current-day perspective, but as an alternate timeline JF that built more directly off of J-Stars. So a couple newer faces like Yuji and Denji won't be showing up here. I landed on 48 characters, being a decent increase from J-Stars' 39, and I went for what I felt would make the most sense. I tried to be unbiased, so a couple characters I don't care for will be showing up here while several personal favorites of mine won't. I also wanted to have a good balance between eras, giving each the amount of focus I felt was appropriate. I feel this roster, although admittedly still missing a lot of good picks, would be a significantly better "50th anniversary" game than JF. Anyway, enough talk - here is the rosterrrrrr

1960s-1980s Manga
  1. Kankichi Ryotsu (Kochikame)
  2. Cobra (Space Adventure Cobra)
  3. Kinnikuman (...)
  4. Ramenman
  5. Arale Norimaki (Dr. Slump)
  6. Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
  7. Raoh
  8. Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
  9. Vegeta
  10. Frieza
  11. Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)
  12. Momotaro Tsurugi (Sakigake!! Otokojuku)
  13. Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
  14. Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
  15. Joseph Joestar
  16. DIO
  17. Dark Schneider (*******!!)
  18. Dai (Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken)
1990s Manga
  1. Yusuke Urameshi (YuYu Hakusho)
  2. Hiei
  3. Meisuke Nueno (Hell Teacher Nube)
  4. Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
  5. Makoto Shishio
  6. Taikoubou (Hoshin Engi)
  7. Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
  8. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
  9. Roronoa Zoro
  10. Trafalgar D. Water Law
  11. Akainu
  12. Gon Freecss (Hunter X Hunter)
  13. Killua Zoldyck
  14. Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
  15. Sasuke Uchiha
  16. Madara Uchiha
2000s-2010s Manga
  1. Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
  2. Rukia Kuchiki
  3. Sosuke Aizen
  4. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
  5. Kagura
  6. Tsunayoshi Sawada (Katekyo Hitman Reborn!)
  7. Allen Walker (D. Gray-man)
  8. Lala Satalin Deviluke (To Love-Ru)
  9. Toriko (...)
  10. Koro-sensei (Assasination Classroom)
  11. Yuma Kuga (World Trigger)
  12. Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia)
  13. Katsuki Bakugo
  14. Asta (Black Clover)
Light Yagami is the main villain. If DLC is a thing, Tanjiro gets in ezpz. Taison Maeda from Rokudenashi Blues came close to making it (that manga was actually VERY successful), but as it came down to the final 80s slots, I decided to cut him in favor of picks like Momotaro and Schneider who I felt would be more interesting. This roster's missing some notable ones, in particular I can see there being a stink over two big 2000s fan-favorites not making it, but I think this is a good spread of important Jump stuff. I even managed to sneak a romcom character in there!

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Keep in mind this roster isn't being made from a current-day perspective, but as an alternate timeline JF that built more directly off of J-Stars. So a couple newer faces like Yuji and Denji won't be showing up here. I landed on 48 characters, being a decent increase from J-Stars' 39, and I went for what I felt would make the most sense. I tried to be unbiased, so a couple characters I don't care for will be showing up here while several personal favorites of mine won't. I also wanted to have a good balance between eras, giving each the amount of focus I felt was appropriate. I feel this roster, although admittedly still missing a lot of good picks, would be a significantly better "50th anniversary" game than JF. Anyway, enough talk - here is the rosterrrrrr

1960s-1980s Manga
  3. Kinnikuman (...)
  4. Ramenman
  7. Raoh
  9. Vegeta
  10. Frieza
  15. Joseph Joestar
  16. DIO
1990s Manga
  2. Hiei
  5. Makoto Shishio
  7. Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
  9. Roronoa Zoro
  11. Akainu
  13. Killua Zoldyck
  15. Sasuke Uchiha
  16. Madara Uchiha
2000s-2010s Manga
  2. Rukia Kuchiki
  3. Sosuke Aizen
  5. Kagura
  9. Toriko (...)
  13. Katsuki Bakugo
  14. Asta (Black Clover)
Light Yagami is the main villain. If DLC is a thing, Tanjiro gets in ezpz. Taison Maeda from Rokudenashi Blues came close to making it (that manga was actually VERY successful), but as it came down to the final 80s slots, I decided to cut him in favor of picks like Momotaro and Schneider who I felt would be more interesting. This roster's missing some notable ones, in particular I can see there being a stink over two big 2000s fan-favorites not making it, but I think this is a good spread of important Jump stuff. I even managed to sneak a romcom character in there!
Great roster, tbh if it had characters from post 2015 series and (at the risk of sounding shonenbro-y) a Hunter x Hunter villain, I would genuinely consider it perfect

I'm not super familiar with every single one of the choices but that's kinda what I like about it

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman

1960s-1980s Manga
  3. Kinnikuman (...)
  4. Ramenman
  7. Raoh
  9. Vegeta
  10. Frieza
  15. Joseph Joestar
  16. DIO
1990s Manga
  2. Hiei
  5. Makoto Shishio
  7. Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
  9. Roronoa Zoro
  11. Akainu
  13. Killua Zoldyck
  15. Sasuke Uchiha
  16. Madara Uchiha
2000s-2010s Manga
  2. Rukia Kuchiki
  3. Sosuke Aizen
  5. Kagura
  9. Toriko (...)
  13. Katsuki Bakugo
  14. Asta (Black Clover)
Aside from Tanjiro, who do you think would be the DLC fighters for this roster? Personally, I could see quite a few of the characters from the original J-Stars Victory Vs. that didn't make it into this roster (both playable characters like Bo-bobo and Medaka, and support characters like Jaguar and Neuro) returning as DLC, along with possibly a few of the better choices from Jump Force's actual roster (such as Kaiba and Todoroki).

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Aside from Tanjiro, who do you think would be the DLC fighters for this roster? Personally, I could see quite a few of the characters from the original J-Stars Victory Vs. that didn't make it into this roster (both playable characters like Bo-bobo and Medaka, and support characters like Jaguar and Neuro) returning as DLC, along with possibly a few of the better choices from Jump Force's actual roster (such as Kaiba and Todoroki).
Oh man a ****ton lmao

I might do some kind of additional thing, whether it be assists or DLC

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Question, would Chainsaw Man and Spy X Family be considered as Shonen Jump franchises?
Chainsaw Man definitely would since it was originally published in Jump. Stuff like Spy x Family are a bit murkier since they originate from Jump+ which is technically a different publication, but considering how many spinoffs from mainline Jump were published there (most notably MHA Vigilantes), not to mention how series like Chainsaw Man and Ayakashi Triangle jumped ship to Jump+, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to consider Jump+ characters viable for Jump crossovers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom