• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I did and I stopped. Honestly, I wonder why bother sometimes.

To clarify, I just don't like the oh I'll wait for somebody else to do it mindset. Everybody should be helping.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
when's the next tournament? i'm just getting back into brawl and i'd definitely come out
As soon as someone finds a venue nearby
Doesn't seem like anyone in Van is looking though

On a side note, I'll be in Coquitlam today looking for possible venues, as it doesn't seem like any of you guys are
Is there anything I should note when looking for one?
  • Can they store TVs?
  • How many TVs do they have? CRT/HD?
  • Do they have Wiis? How many?
  • What other events happen? Will it conflict?
Please add on guys. I don't want my trip down there today to be a complete waste

Captain L

Smash Champion
  • How large of an area will we be able to use for tournaments, and can we have more floor space every once in a while for phoenix events?
  • How much will the venue fee be?
  • Will the venue be available for drop-in smashfests?
In order of importance though honestly, storing the TVs is by farrrrr #1, because if they can't store TVs then it'll kinda shaft a lot of people, specifically me and kevin since we'd have to bring a bunch of TVs every time, as well as anyone who we would normally drive but couldn't with TVs in our cars.

Floor space is probably #2, conflicting events #3. Drop in smashfests are pretty important too, since that was kinda what made stronghold so cool. Already having the TVs is honestly not a huge deal since they're like free on craig's list. It would be nice if venue was still $5, $10 is okay too, but any more than that and it's not really viable for smashfests since nobody wants to pay 15$ when you could just go to someone's house for free. Wiis is literally no issue at all since everyone SHOULD bring one every tournament. =|

Oh one more moderately important one, but it's not really a question to ask but more of a statement that the owner should know, and will probably inquire about anyways. Let them know what our attendance will be like, fluctuating anywhere between 10 on a really small tourney to 25 on a pretty good sized one, and closer to 35 if we ever get a good phoenix event planned.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Went to a few places in Coquitlam, but no luck.
Gonna come by later and look for future places after more research/recommendations.

I also had some mighty fine friendlies with Jake/Dawson
Cept I was johning about jumps LOL
But they were still mighty fine friendlies

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Well I'm looking for decent music to mix up my Brawl with
Any kind of battle music, menu-kind-of-music, or just something that you can see in Brawl

You guys have any ideas?
Even if it might sound odd, just yell it out. I want some new music to play with lol

| Big D |

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this would work on a stage but this music has been on my menu for quite some time.

This was the song that played during the two longest and most difficult sets I've had to play and managed to come through.

Now whenever I hear it it's like a reminder to believe in myself.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
The (newer) Coquitlam Library might be an option since it has hosted Brawl stuff before.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
The (newer) Coquitlam Library might be an option since it has hosted Brawl stuff before.
Would you want to go and ask them?
They might seem so appropriate, as it IS a library and it might get mad hype in there
(I'm assuming this library is the one near Cent/porier)

If you can't go, I'll try to come out sometime

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'll keep the library thing in mind. There's another library within walking distance from the Lougheed skytrain station that I might check out. They do run events for teens and stuff, including regular movie nights, but it seems unlikely we'd be able to store TVs, even if we could get the go-ahead for a smash event.

Also, huge shoutouts to Irisz for all he's been doing over the last month or so.

Edit: The libraries close at 6. That doesn't bode well, especially considering how many people can't even show up for 12. >.>

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I also recommend contacting community centres. Many of them (like Hyde Creek in Port Coquitlam) have spacious rooms available. I am not sure what the rental fees are since you have to contact them for that.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Rental fees go by occupancy. I was looking at rates in Vancouver it's like $25 - $35 an hour for a room which can hold 15 or less and it's $30 - $40. Also I know for the one at Kits it closes on Saturdays at 5 and you need to pay large additional fees if you want to stay past that.

One idea however is maybe trying to set something up with a highschool, they may want the TVs and wouldn't mind having events there that students could participate in, but I don't know.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
ignore me, melee is back.

sorry for double post. SmashBoards doesn't let me edit. Unless this gets merged then ignore me again.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
So at the smashfest I organized today
I was asked to use other characters so that they can learn from me
But

They asked me to play :olimar:
*shudders*

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I might be able to make it on Saturday
But it's also my bday that day
Hence why I might be able to go LOL (since my mom will let me go where I want)

| Big D |

Smash Master
K jer said he'd be willing to make the commute if 2 others went. Need like another person to say they're down and we'll have something.

So many flakes tho.

Captain L

Smash Champion
So I kinda want to gauge whether or not there is legitimate interest in people joining me for a carpool up to edmonton for the tourney. Rules are you can't flake out at the last second, since I don't want to book the day off only to find out that it's gonna be me driving 14 hours by myself into a strange new province.

fox has 3 matchups that are -3 and 0 that are -2

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Will go i there's an empty seat. If a more skilled player wants my seat I'll they can have it.

Top Bottom