• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Asa

Smash Hero
in hiking we believe that the slowest should lead the pack, because then no one will be left behind :awesome:

T-block

B2B TST
At whoever is involved with this alt account business, if this is at all some sort of challenge towards the staff of SWF, or towards me in particular, just know that I don't consider this a game. If you do, then I guess you win. You can create and maintain an alternate account that I cannot prove as an alt without committing way more time than I'm willing to commit for something so trivial. Congratulations. I'm not going to go around banning accounts that I suspect of being alts without solid proof, because that could very quickly lead to losing a potential new player, and it's not a healthy environment in general, nor is it one that any community should have to tolerate. If this was provoked by my instating stricter enforcement of rules when I took over moderation of Canada, then I'm sorry if that gave the impression that I thought I was "better" than any of you or "in control" of any of you in any way - I would hope that it is obvious that I consider myself to be just another member of the community.

If that's not the case, then please find a little maturity and realize that it's really not that funny, and all you're doing is alienating those not in on the joke - both current and new players. This kind of thing can admittedly be funny the first time, but it gets quite tired the fourth time around. So please, for the sake of everyone here, find a more productive outlet for your time.

ZXavier

Smash Rookie
Well, I kinda hope my dad needs to work till 5:00 then. Otherwise, I'll need to leave at 3:00 or something. You'll easily notice me btw. Just look for a 15 year old xD

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Saturday November 3rd there will be a smash fest at my house, and we will all go see Wreck it Ralph. Anyone is welcome to stay the night after the movie.

Captain L

Smash Champion
whoa so much drama in this thread

today I got a blackberry... but I wanted a blueberry :(

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Lying about who you are is just wrong. It brings me infinite sadness to think that there are people in this world who make accounts on random forums just to bother other users.

Tragic, truly tragic.
=/

Saturday November 3rd there will be a smash fest at my house, and we will all go see Wreck it Ralph. Anyone is welcome to stay the night after the movie.
THIS IS HOW I'M SPENDING MY 21st BIRTHDAY
or the day before it i guess, but close enough

whoa so much drama in this thread

today I got a blackberry... but I wanted a blueberry :(
Blackberries are so good though!

As an aside, drunk Aaron is silly.

He doesn't stop talking.

:005:

Captain L

Smash Champion
I would also like to point out that "person not affiliated with big D" is not even an alt

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well, that was an interesting smashfest. Good games Xavier.

Jason made me realize that I have some major leveling up to do :(

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Peach is starting to get more and more difficult to play. She really is a TON of hard work that doesn't always pay off...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I don't look at this thread for one day, and everything falls apart. Thankfully some of it was fixed. Anyways, I did end up reading all the posts, and have (oh please say exactly 9... counting... well, technically 8, but I'm breaking one in two for continuity purposes, so 9 quotes)... 9 quotes that I would like to respond to.

(his long post about the alt account)
Kev, everyone knows you do soo much for the community, especially for new people. There are two steps to increasing the number of people in the community: Getting them to show up the first time, and getting them to continue to show up. Anyone can do the first part no problem. However, almost everyone forgets to do the second part, which is why we have often had people show up once or twice and never show up again. However, you're one of the few that actually puts in the effort to keep people there. I'm doing the same thing in Victoria, and I know exactly how hard it is to do. I'd do it more on the mainland too, but since I'm only there once every... 2 months or so... I can't be nearly as effective as people who can be there every smashfest (weekly, daily, etc). Anyways, back on topic... there is one thing I have noticed in all of this, which is very ironic: Almost everyone else forgets the "getting them to continue to show up" part. This is what causes people to leave. And the person that is ironically close to leaving because of this is the one guy who is the best at keeping people here. We all know how much effort you put in for this community, in several different ways, and we all really appreciate it. Some may not show it, or may look like they don't care, but really, everyone knows what you do, and everyone is really happy that you are a part of the community. If you need help with anything, or want to talk (my msn doesn't work anymore), I believe I have you added on Skype, and I try to keep it on when I am online, so if you want to talk about anything, just send me a message on that. I kinda miss our convos of a year ago <(^o^)>.

(Long apology post)
This isn't necessarily only a response to this post, but basically a post to everyone (though completely related to this post).

There is nothing wrong with joking around, trolling people, etc. However, with everything you do, try to make sure that nobody gets hurt in any way. I know the typical internet troll does troll to hurt people and bring people down, but we are better than that (I jokingly made up the word "positroll" to represent how I troll). There have been several instances of trolling recently that has made several people upset, and not only Kev (I have even been upset with a few troll actions that have happened). Before you attempt to do a major troll project, think first of who will be affected by this, and try to make sure that you are not negatively affecting anyone significantly, and if there is a possibility, try to find a way to prevent this from becoming negative, even if it means abandoning or aborting the troll mid-way.

In the example of Reika (after reading the Skype, I think I know exactly who it is who has done this, but just in case, so that I don't mis-accuse someone, I will address this person without using a name), yes, it's funny when people see a new person and try to get them to show up. It has been done several times (won't name alt names in case they are still believed to be true by some). However, in this case, it was obvious how much effort Kev was putting into getting Reika into the community, willing to set up last minute smashfests for the new member to play and meet the community.

The person who made the alt and was doing all this stuff should have noticed this and have done something about it. Like I said in my response to Kev's post, we all know how much effort Kev puts into helping the community grow, and everyone should know (either from personal experience or from someone else they know) that if you put a lot of effort into something, and it turned out to be nothing at all or a joke, and all that effort was for nothing, you'd feel pretty stupid, and in some cases hurt inside a bit.

If I were the one who had made this account, and had noticed Kev putting that much effort, I would have probably told Kev early on that it was an alt by me. That way, he doesn't put all his effort to waste, and if anything, he could maybe join me in the troll attempt. Either that, or if he was really against it, I'd either abandon it right there, or change the story so that nobody gets affected (e.g. vacation to see relatives ends in 3 days, looks like I won't have a chance to play anyone, sorry, I'd still like to stay in touch in case I show up again, etc).

I am not at all saying that everyone should stop trolling. Trolling is one of the things that gives BC it's identity. Almost everyone in BC is a troll in some way or another. Not to mention, it makes most of the conversations very interesting, and very amusing to read and take part of. However, my entire point of this response: Know where the line is, and even if it means abandoning the troll, try at all costs not to cross the line. I have done nothing but troll since I have shown up, and not once has anyone gotten mad at me for a troll-related thing I have done (only two signficant things I can remember which have happened of someone getting mad at me, both funny enough involving Landon, were not troll attempts, and both mis-communications, the car incident and the loser's finals heavy sandbag incident). So... here is one troll who has yet to make anyone mad at him. My reason for bringing my trolling into this is to say that it is possible to be a troll without hurting anyone.

So,,, yeah. Long response.

tldr: Troll on, BC, but know where the line is and don't cross it.

Well, now that all my serious responses are done, time to go back to being ultra serious.

There is only one person that I really don't like and his tag is related to certain kind of food...
I'm sorry, I didn't mean any harm at all. Hopefully we can still be friends.

However, I did not know that you ate Yoshis, nor did I know that people actually ate Yoshis. Either way, I am staying away from you for now on to make sure I don't become your lunch...

Yes, it was me, and I REGRET NOTHING!!!
Shame on you. You really disappoint me. No words can express the intense amount of anger and rage that is flowing through my body.

Heyyy man, I gotta travel two hours thr and two hours back. :c
Heyyy man, I gotta travel 6 hours to housing, 1 hour to venue, 1 hour to housing, 6 hours back. :c

It's not 2 hours, Jason.

It's like an hour to get there from where we live. No johns; I'm a Richmonder like you and I head over to the venue all the time lol
I used to be a Richmonder like you, but then I... oh wait, nevermind, I never lived in Richmond...

in hiking we believe that the slowest should lead the pack, because then no one will be left behind :awesome:
I laughed when I read that.

But yeah, Jason, you must walk slow for it to take you at least 10 minutes from the skytrain to the venue. It takes me exactly 9 minutes to get to the venue myself, so if you're taking longer, then just walk faster.

Tblock will be back where he belongs by then!
I'll still be here =x
T-block will be right where he belongs by then, here in BC <(^o^)>

I figured, given the timing after the 1337snipez banning, but it was clearly a troll account in any case.
Sorry, I don't intend to get involved in this at all (it's a mod thing, I'm not a mod at the moment), but my two cents.

The account name is obviously a joke. However, if it is not an alt account, and the person actually does want to use that name as their actual smash name, then they should be able to use that name for their account. It's like if someone were to make their smash name "Captain W" or "Captain Kira". Both of these would be obvious pokes at Landon. However, if they actually use that, then they should be allowed to use that as an account name. Nowhere in the forum rules as far as I am aware does it say that using an account name like that is against the rules (worst thing I can see is a minor infraction for trolling, which could be given and a request for the person to change their account name). And as long as the person being referenced isn't against it, I don't see why it should not be allowed.

In this case, the account in question (pnawbd) has, iirc, been confirmed to be unique (i.e. not an alt).

Just my 2 cents.

In general, in my opinion, as long as a trolling attempt doesn't affect anyone negatively, then there is no reason to infract the person trolling. Otherwise, tons of people would get infracted for tons of reasons, and the boards would be boring since trolling isn't allowed. Not to mention I'd probably get permabanned 9 times over.

Sorry, when I saw that the account was banned, I thought about it, and questioned if it was the right course of action to take. Although I do see the reasoning behind why it was done (alt account issue), I thought that, for this specific account, the actions taken weren't exactly the best actions that could have been taken.

Sorry, I'm not a mod, and I know I probably shouldn't be getting involved in something like this, but I just thought I'd give my 2 cents, since I didn't quite agree with it.

Yay, long post done.

T-block

B2B TST
The account was not banned because of the name - it was banned because it was clear that it was an account created with the sole intention of trolling. If there is someone without another account who truly wishes to use the name to participate in this community, you are absolutely correct that there would be nothing wrong with that, but that was not the case here.

As for infractions for trolling, there is already a lot that goes uninfracted around here - no infractions were handed out for this incident for example.

Top Bottom