• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JJC'ing *Jab Jab Cancel* and what it is all about

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Fox's TRUE glide toss. (Founded by 718_R00kie)

Guys this is real simple but is so crazy. It's just JUMP CANCEL GLIDE TOSSING. The button input is X or Y + A and the direction your going in. You can use this in any direction throwing the item and the direction your gliding in. So you got all these options:

Item toss direction: Up, Down, Left, Right

Gliding direction: Front and Back (Duh)

You can incorporate any if these directions anyway you choose how to. A simple tech easy to learn great results and now we have a real answer to diddy kong.

The thread is almost done guys. YES!!!!!!!

OK up and ready to make this thread godly...

Now all day yesterday (April, 26 2009) throughout the evening into the morning most of the noteable fox mains were all just having fun talking to one another and trying to finds ways to re-create fox's metagame. My discovery of the JJC has been a huge asset to what this thread is about and now there is more to offer from JJC, let's get started...

Fox mains, feel free to do testing and send me your input on any of this as well, Uzi and I will be on top of this as much as we can but a little help won't hurt us. Thank you.

Jab Jab Cancelling (JJC) (Created by 718_R00kie)

*Must note: Smart players will know how to DI and SDI out of this so don't abuse it. This is very situational and has to be done right, so experiment see where it fits for you and mix it up sometimes.*

JJC'ing has been a big step to re-create what fox is about and push the limits of what he can do. It's fast and not as difficult to do. You can make alot of mix-ups with JJC'ing, such as JJC>Grab...JJC>Shine...even JJC>AAA. But just find the right characters and you can even pull off JJC>JJC>JJC>JJC>JJC, and when this connects it looks so so pretty. Keep in mind this tech is not based on hit stun, knockback or percents. It works on those characters that have no option to use to get out of it. (Example: DDD cannot get out of it BUT Marth can UP-B out of it.)

-Frame data - 2, then 3 (1st jab is "2" then 2nd jab is "3")
-Button input - Hold AA then crouch cancel. (Jab>Jab>Hold down on the joystick)
-How to setup -
1. Dair into JJC
2. Airdodge into JJC
3. Nair(sour spot) into JJC
4. Bair(extremely low percent) into JJC
5. Approach with shield into JJC
-Best uses - A "Boxing" tool used for short combos. Since this can be repeated on certain characters it acts as a short juggle for about 2 or 3 sets of JJC'ing. This greatly increases fox's inside game and is highly reccommended that this is used.

*This is a very accurate list of characters that fall victim to JJC'ing and those that don't*

-Best characters (most effective) - Diddy, DK, King D3, G&W, R.O.B., Yoshi, Ganon, Link, Toon Link, Wario, Zelda, Lucario, P.Trainer(ALL PKMNs).
-Worst characters (not too effective) - Bowser, MK, Snake, Marth, Mario, Luigi, ZSS, Samus, Ike, C.Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Sonic, Peach, Wolf, Kirby, Jiggz, Fox, Falco, Pika, Pit.

Jab Jab Cancel Edge Trapping (Created by 718_R00kie)
The form of JJC'ing your opponent up and over the edge of the stage causing an extremely uncomfortable place for your opponent to be in. This is a excellent way to trap your opponent and give them nothing but bad and or obvious options for them to escape. As you are JJC'ing you have alot at you disposal here. You have these options:
1. JJC to AAA
2. JJC to Grab
3. JJC to D-smash
4. JJC to U-smash
5. JJC to Double Shine spike
6. JJC to F-tilt
7. JJC to Drill Shine
8. JJC to Dair
*Note: Your opponent is off-stage as you connect with all these combinations and have suddenly turned the situation into a edge guard scenario*

^Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9FfBr_by3w&fmt=18

Jab Jab Cancel Platform Trapping (Created by 718_R00kie)
It's the same as edge trapping but with a twist, now you can follow up more ground moves and combo on stage from platform to platform or platform to ground. These are your options:
1. JJC to AAA
2. JJC to Grab
3. JJC to D-smash
4. JJC to U-smash
5. JJC to Nair
6. JJC to Shine
7. JJC to Uptilt
8. JJC *fall through platform* Dair
9. JJC *fall through platform* Nair
*Note: This AT has a wide range of options to follow up with such as grabs, tilts, and aerials.*

-Stage Specifics -
-Character Specifics -

^Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaY-lMAcSc&fmt=18

Frame data on JJC'ing (Created by 718_R00kie)
FOX:
Jab frames: 1st Jab "Frame 2" 2nd Jab "Frame 3"
JJC lag frames(open frames between): 1 Frame
Hitstun from JJC: 5 Frames
Open frames for opponent to act before next JJC: 3 Frames (2 frame of CC and 1 open frame before the jab)

I created to columns for those characters with default options and those that have options of thier own. (Created by 718_R00kie)
*All characters have the option to jump or shield*
*Jump option - The opponent is be lifted in the air throughout JJC'ing*
*Shield option - The opponent is hitting the floor throughout JJC'ing*

List A: Characters who have only two options of escape. (Jump or Shield)

1. Diddy
Landing Lag: 4 Frames

2. Donkey
Landing Lag: 2 Frames

3. Ganon
Landing Lag:?

4. G&W

5. King D3

6. Link

7. Lucario

8. Zelda

9. Toon Link

10. Wario

11. IC's

12. Zelda

13. P.Trainer
Squirtle

Ivysaur

Charizard

14. R.O.B.???
Landing Lag:???

15. ZSS???
Landing Lag:???

16. Yoshi

List B: Characters who have more than two options to escape.

1. Bowser: Up-B "Invinicibility frames 1-4"

2. C.Falcon: Jab "Frame 3"

3. Falco: Jab "Frame 3 + wind box"

4. Fox: Jab "Frame 2" Shine "Frame 3"

5. Ike: Jab "Frame 3"

6. Jiggz: Rest "Frame 1"

7. Kirby: Jab "Frame 3"

8. Lucas: Jab "Frame 2" D-tilt "Frame 3"

9. Snake: Grenade "Frame 1" Jab "Frame 3"

10. Wolf: Shine "Frame 1 + Invincibility"

11. Sonic: Jab "Frame 3"

12. Luigi: 1st Jab "Frame 2" 2nd Jab "Frame 3" "Nair Frame 3"
Landing Lag: 3 Frames

13. Mario: Jab "Frame 2" Up-B "Invincibility Frames 1-5 + hits on Frame 3" Nair "Frame 3"

14. Marth: Up-B "Invincibility Frames 1-5 + hits on Frame 5"

15. MK: F-tilt "Frame 3" Nair "Frame 3" Uair "Frame 2"

16. Ness: 1st Jab "Frame 3" 2nd Jab "Frame 3"

17. Olimar: Whistle "Frame 2 + Super Armor"

18. Peach: Jab "Frame 2" Nair "Frame 2"

19. Pika: Jab "Frame 2" Nair "Frame 3"

20. Pit: Nair "Frame 3"

21. Samus: Jab "Frame 3"

*Now use your brain guys, notice alot of characters have attacks that can interrupt our JJC'ing BUT majority of them are grounded. So as long as you get the character off the ground your chances greatly increase due to them only having one option which is to jump*

Jab Jab Canceled Shine (JJCS) (Created by Uzi "Uzimakisensai")
Some call it a combo, some call it a frame trap. JJCS'ing is something that has put a huge twist on fox's metagame. You can follow up on certain characters after the Shine so yes you can call it a combo, some can just be put in frame traps from platforms & ledges. JJCS has very short open frame windows so if you land the first jab you have high chances of pulling this off.

Using the JJC in conjunction with the Shine. (Created by Uzi "Uzimakisensai")
The JJC has the perfect property to move Fox slightly into the center of the opponents Hurt box, and you can use this property to solve one of the most troubling Fox combo problems. The JJC has the perfect property to move Fox slightly into the center of the opponents Hurt box, and you can use this property to solve one of the most troubling Fox combo problems. Remember If you can combo into jab from any attack, you should be able to JJCS and then work from there. Since jab now has combos from it, you should use it more often, the Jab is no longer the AAA combo with kicks at the end to be easily punished it is a start up for many combos. The Risk/Reward has now shifted drasticaly, and with jab being an ultra fast attack you should be able to land it often. Jab doesnt have to outprioritise attacks, it just has to land first.

Combo'ing into and then from Shine. (Created by Uzi "Uzimakisensai")
For example: You can drill>shine just fine, as well as shine>up-smash.
But when you put these together a problem occurs, the slight landing lag from the drill is enough for the overlapping character models to push each other slightly away, and this slight movement keeps the shine>up-smash from connecting.
But if you impliment the JJC into this combo it becomes possible.
When you DRill>JJC the JJC pushes you slighty to the center of the opponents character model while there still in hitstun, while your in the center you can now Shine dead center in them and give yourself the perfect placement for Shine>upsmash.

Drill>Shine>Up-Smash Doesn't work
Drill>JJC>Shine>Up-Smash Does Work

-Frame data - 2, 3, then 3 (1st jab is "2", 2nd jab is "3" then Shine is "3")
-Button input - Hold AA into crouch cancel shine (Jab>Jab>Hold down on the joystick and press B)
-How to setup -
*Same as JJC, we're just adding more flavor*
1. Dair into JJCS
2. Airdodge into JJCS
3. Nair(sour spot) into JJCS
4. Bair(extremely low percent) into JJCS
5. Approach with shield into JJCS
-Best uses - A pressure tool. Since we are adding the shine it puts the opponent exactly where you want them since the knockback of shine hardly changes on low percents. This can be related as a REAL combo on certain characters and is one of fox's strong points as a "Boxer". It can also be incorporated as a edge guard tool in a sense that you JJCS your opponent near the ledge to knock them straight off and now it becomes a edge guard scenario.

*This takes a turn from just JJC'ing. It's now based on the sliding distance (from the Shine) of the characters so here is the seperation of which characters can be combo'd after the JJCS and which can't*

-Best characters (most effective) - King D3, DK, Bowser, Yoshi, Charizard, Peach, Wario, Link, Sheik, Ganon, Samus, Olimar, Falco, Wolf, Pika, Ivysaur, Lucario, Jiggs, Sonic, and Ness.
-Worst characters (not too effective) - Mario, Luigi, ICs, Diddy, Zelda, ToonLink, Pit, ROB, Kirby, MK, C.Falcon, Squirtle, Marth, Ike, Lucas, G&W, and Snake
-Stage Specifics -
-Character Specifics -
-Tested Combo's -
1. Nair>JJC>Shine>Dash Attack/Up-smash
2. Drill>JJC>Shine>Dash Attack/Up-smash

^Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsR-m0mrLSM&fmt=18

Shine Ledge Traps & Combos (Created by 718_R00kie)
This isn't hard to do just very situational. The idea is to Shine your opponent towards the ledge (not to grab it) but to have them barely stand at the edge of the stage. There isn't many options your opponent has considering they got hit into this situation and their first reaction is defense (shielding). But most important some characters can be Shined to the edge of stage and not fall due to their weight/fall speed (King D3, DK, Wolf). So the idea of this is to Shine your opponent towards the edge of the stage but not using the normal distance of the characters slide. Because of the weight/fall speed Shining them slightly closer than normal will cause them to stop in place at the edge and now look, you just cut the distance between you and your opponent by a few steps which is all you need to start REAL combo's. Sound like a trap? I think so.

So quick re-cap. Things that are on a need to know basis. (Created by 718_R00kie)
1. Know your opponents character distance when they get Shined.
2. Space properly and reduce the distance by 2 to 3 steps.
3. Shine your opponent towards the edge and notice they do not slide off to grab the ledge.
4. Now you've created the trap.

-Frame data - "3"
-Button input - Down B
-How to setup - Each character has a set knockback from shine. Some dont go as far (wolf), some slide out of reach (Luigi). To create this trap you'll have to know and understand the characters knockback at low percents and have frame perfect timing.
-Best uses - It is a way to initiate a edge guard scenario which will lead to a trap for combos.
Characters to auto combo - King D3, DK, Bowser, Yoshi and Charizard
Characters to trap - Peach, Wario, Link, Sheik, Ganon, Samus, Olimar, Falco, Wolf, Pika, Ivysaur, Lucario, Jiggs, Sonic, and Ness
Characters to ignore (does not work) - Mario, Luigi, ICs, Diddy, Zelda, ToonLink, Pit, ROB, Kirby, MK, C.Falcon, Squirtle, Marth, Ike, Lucas, G&W, and Snake
-Stage Specifics -
-Character Specifics -

Things to be created for in video:
1. True Glide Tossing
2. Shine ledge trap combos
3. New combos and frame traps found along since the release of the thread.

Founder's 718 R00kie & Uzi (Uzimakisensai)

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be spending what time i can firuging out at what %'s the DJC shine works best and how exactly to pull it off the most effective way possible.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
shouldn't you put fox into the chars that DJC>Shine doesn't work on? im pretty sure the other fox can shine before you.....i dont know :p

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Put up a video of double jab canceling being used please.

And I'm with moogle, anyone who ever played melee or 64 is gonna think DJC is Double Jump Canceling. =E

Virgman

Smash Apprentice
Good find. Jab locking is fun even though its hard as crap. The timing is the hardest part. Great job Rookie and the others for finding and contributing to the Fox community so much. Now I have another asset to improve on good ole Fox.

Gotham7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is a cool addition to Fox's metagame lets hope it proves to be useful in upcoming tournys.

moogle

Smash Ace
It's okay if you don't want to change the name.... it was just a suggestion of mine.

I'll be very happy if this turns out to be a very viable Fox technique. :)

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Can someone make a video of all these possibility? They sound amazing, but I can't get to my Wii at the moment because I am playing Metal Gear Solid 2. Lulz. Snake is so pro.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Gave it a good shot. Think of it as the beautiful frame trap that is jabbing, except on steroids and legit.

***** everyone I know even harder, they had no preparation for it. Seamless addition to Fox's game and fills every single gap he ever had in his combinations.

Edit: #&%^#* Wrong account. Just pretend A6M Zero posted that.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
DJC Is the future for Fox! I am learning this..... no, I am perfecting this ASAP. (It's about freaking time Fox developed his Meta game.) We need to look into this even further and exploit this to it's full potential. Great job so far.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I remember monkey was able to pull all this chit off with the DJC. It might have been his secret weapon.

Now if we can only annihilate two certain characters from the list of Fox matchup's as nearly impossible, Fox might be moving up the tier list very soon. Not only has the DJC been introduced, but I've noticed a recent flourish of Fox skill.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I've tried it, loved it, held it close, then made D3 my *****. This is so great, instead of me being afraid of D3's chaingrab, he was afraid of my DJC Chain XD. I bet anyone that Fox will go up in the tiers because of this, I mean it works on Meta Knight! Nothing works on Meta Knight! Until now.....

Edit: Nice Vid. I haven't even tried it like that yet. Can't wait to see the other Vids.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
I've tried it, loved it, held it close, then made D3 my *****. This is so great, instead of me being afraid of D3's chaingrab, he was afraid of my DJC Chain XD. I bet anyone that Fox will go up in the tiers because of this, I mean it works on Meta Knight! Nothing works on Meta Knight! Until now.....

Edit: Nice Vid. I haven't even tried it like that yet. Can't wait to see the other Vids.
MMMMWWWWWHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA i love it

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Maybe a MK Counter? =o That would be so sick. Got a little question: Could I use the airborne shine instead ? I mean, instead of doing: DJC -> Shine -> Upsmash I'd do DJC -> Airborne Shine (grounded) -> Upsmash, it could cover some additionnal distance no?

Sukai

Smash Champion
Not bad.
Would you guys mind looking into the short hop fast falled forward air, I use that alot and it works for me fine most of the time.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda

Dedede can't chain grab Fox =3

*Does a barrel roll*

Jenkins

Smash Lord
Double Jab Cancelling (DJC) (Created by 718_R00kie)

.......cmon rookie you didn't create this, other chars do it all the time.. it's an AT

just say you're advancing fox's metagame with this.

Top Bottom