• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff's Video Critique Thread

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I only second puff now, and this is kind of old, but here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkBLQbShK54
Okay, first of all, since this an older clip, I won't read that much into it. But so far, you're spacing it fairly bad. You are actually going through the Fox when you are attacking him, and any good Fox would U-smash you after the first hit if this became a pattern. Second, you are coming way too close before attacking. If he saw you come in and SHed a fair, you would take a lot of damage. You really need to approach with much better spacing because he is hitting you with smashes through your aerials. If you were timing it right with good spacing, he shouldn't be able to do this unless you screw up, so try backing off your opponent more. Try using bairs with the tip of the foot and pounds, and push away after the bair so you don't leave yourself vulnerable to a U-smash/ shield grab.

If you could have some newer videos, I would like to see those. Just be much more careful, Jigglypuff can't be that aggressive.

Amide

Smash Lord
If you could have some newer videos, I would like to see those. Just be much more careful, Jigglypuff can't be that aggressive.
Umm... I rarely play puff now... I can't because I often play olimars, but I'll take your advice though, and yeah, i know what you mean, I need to space better.

Tyser

Smash Champion
Specific move for move critiques are funny because nobody will ever be perfect ever. I see them to be useless.
Anyways, that Fox in that video just throws Smash moves and it brought a tear to my eye. Tell him to be good at Brawl (no offense to him I think). Also, if youre going to keep going towards your opponent after your first aerial, you better do another aerial afterwards otherwise youre just going to get hit. Work on your spacing like Alex said also. That shield break was pretty funny :-D.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Specific move for move critiques are funny because nobody will ever be perfect ever. I see them to be useless.
Anyways, that Fox in that video just throws Smash moves and it brought a tear to my eye. Tell him to be good at Brawl (no offense to him I think). Also, if youre going to keep going towards your opponent after your first aerial, you better do another aerial afterwards otherwise youre just going to get hit. Work on your spacing like Alex said also. That shield break was pretty funny :-D.
Yeah, the shieldbreak was the best because that was well done. I prefer holding an F-smash there because it is consistent and powerful. And he should have thrown U-smash when you went through him. It was pretty fooloish but this is how you beat space animals like Olimar.

Amide

Smash Lord
Lol thanks, he's really not THAT bad. I just decided to be mean and upload it:bee:. Looking back at when I mained puff, going in front of an opponent's face and not attacking is downright stupid.

Tyser

Smash Champion
First off. AHHH WIFI! Why??!!? NOOO!! But anyways, the match was pretty nice. Id just recommend not attacking while youre falling back to earth (falling down) because maybe it's just me but Jiggz gets ***** in those situations. I think SHADing would be a good idea sometimes also. Attacking everytime isnt the best option I think. Instead of OverB-ing into the edge, try just grabbing it or UpBing because I think if you use OverB then you can still be hit sometimes; just a thought :-P. Im not a fan of rollout AT ALL, but you like it so Im not going to say nothing about it. I like your Jiggz though. Dair+grab is too good, I use it often.

Glick

Smash Lord
First off. AHHH WIFI! Why??!!? NOOO!! But anyways, the match was pretty nice. Id just recommend not attacking while youre falling back to earth (falling down) because maybe it's just me but Jiggz gets ***** in those situations. I think SHADing would be a good idea sometimes also. Attacking everytime isnt the best option I think. Instead of OverB-ing into the edge, try just grabbing it or UpBing because I think if you use OverB then you can still be hit sometimes; just a thought :-P. Im not a fan of rollout AT ALL, but you like it so Im not going to say nothing about it. I like your Jiggz though. Dair+grab is too good, I use it often.
I dont spam rollout like that usually. I was just getting so frustrated because I always waste my Fair power on building up damage. So when I do that I start spamming rollout when their at high percents. I'm a lot better then that but thats the only video up of me where the opponent is half decent. I have a few where I completely dominate.

I was doing a lot of noob stuff like rolling into him too. well, you get the point. I'll put up a newer video soon. Probably against a good MK.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok here we go. First off

:23 You know he has a projectile, don't jump straight into it. If you're gonna play someone like a Link and Falco, at the beginning or when approaching from far away, make sure you stay in the attacks range easily.

:28 Don't try to land on top of a Link. If you are going to try to dair him, try to land further away, but you got punished easily for doing so. Up oriented characters (Fox, Zelda, Lucario, Link, T LInk should not be attacked from directly on top of and space animals should not be landed near).

:32 Don't roll under your opponent if he's got no lag after a move, its understandable on a Link but if you were playing an Olimar or Wolf, you would be dead. The dash attack was a good idea, just played out badly.

:33 Don't do that pound very often, it leaves you so vulnerable to a spike, a smash or whatever. It essentially is like Falcon's B-up if you miss the ledge. Your wide open.

:46 You should be trying to fair Link here, not try to jump above him and dair. Go down to hit him, it really kills him.

:50 Why did you roll onto the stage? The Link is the exact distance to punish you there for doing something like that? Only do that if your opponent is trying to grab you if you attack while coming up the ledge. The second ledge roll right after it was smart, but be much more careful about the timing.

:55-1:00 Why are you attacking through your opponent? You get punished for this because you aren't spacing properly. You have to back up a decent amount of the time so that way he doesn't hurt you for doing this.

1:03-1:07 Just a repeat of what I've said before. When a decent way away, get out of the path of his projectiles. Also, don't roll under him like that.

1:28 Stop pounding onto the stage. A fair is much better if you do it well because it doesn't have ridiculous ending lag. And your WoP skills have something to be desired, you keep on trying to dair him but way above the stage. Go down there and face him and you would get some results.

1:36 Thats what happens when you try to pound onto the stage. You get daired and killed oftentimes. Ironically, you were killed upwards this time but oftentimes you will be spiked.

1:45 Once again you rolled under him and he AAAed you.

1:47 You didn't anticipate his boomerang and you were punished. Get above and lower yourself once you get in closer range combat.

1:58 Great job, see what fairing onto the stage does?

2:00 You didn't push away and fair him or bair him again. It would have been a pretty kill fairly easily.

2:30 Don't air-dodge straight into your opponent. Thats just setting you up.

3:10 Don't land straight on a Link.

3:21 Same advice, don't land on a Link.

Beginning 3rd stock Get out of the range of his projectiles. He's killing you with them.

3:58 Don't pound onto the stage.

3:59 Don't roll under Link like that and don't attack through him. You did both close together so he easily punished you. Its okay to do this once in a while, but just going through opponents should be spontaneous.

4:34 You were so lucky. Don't land on Link btw.

4:38 Don't pound onto the stage like that.

Early Link's third stock Get out of the range of projectiles by jumping btw.

4:52 Don't bair through Link. If you backup, its a lot safer.

Ending Kill: Don't pound onto the stage unless you are fairly open or he is holding an attack and don't roll under an opponent.

Overall Themes:

Pounding onto the stage: Dangerous and not very rewarding except at very low percentages. Be really careful unless the are charging an attack.

Rolling under an opponent: This really killed you many times.

WoPing: You tried to go over the opponent and disrupt them with a dair too many times and when you finally went below, you tried to attack Link from equal hieght. This is dumb, because he has his boomerang. Since his recovery is so limited, go under him, jump to bair or fair. Its safe and easy.

Your Jigglypuff normally has good spacing when the opponent is in the air, keep that when he's on the ground.

Tyser

Smash Champion
^ You coulda just summed it up into a few things. Repetition isnt fun.
- Dont roll into Link
- Dont pound into edge
- Dont DI into Link
- Dont attack while falling back to Earth
- Moar Dair+Rest (lolz jk)

EDIT:
- Do poop on Link pwease

illinialex24

Smash Hero
^ You coulda just summed it up into a few things. Repetition isnt fun.
- Dont roll into Link
- Dont pound into edge
- Dont DI into Link
- Dont attack while falling back to Earth.
- Moar Dair+Rest (lolz jk)
I was just trying to give him a time stamp for each situation. Because its one of the better ways. I do summarize it later.

Glick

Smash Lord
lol. I wish I had a better video up. That was after playing melee for 3 weeks against CPU's. I don't know why I asked for that to be critiqued.

Glick

Smash Lord
Alrighty. Well I didn't record any, but the next time I go on AiB which will be tomorrow night probably. I will do a ladder match and record it. Weather I win or lose I'll put it up for critiquing. That way I cant do any of that 3 stock videos online only bull**** I do a lot.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
If you can get a jab jab, dtilt is a true combo to it (I'd say I've just been playing bad people, but I did it the few times I did jab-jab over at Ryko's. Along with slowing replays down to see they're still in hitstun). It's not like you'll be getting the jabs off alot, but it's good to know considering how limited in use dtilt is.

I liked how I was thinking "Use rollout already", then sure enough right around the same time. Uhhh, Dair wasn't used much. It's pretty good at a "sure" punish on a tech chase/roll. Cause from my short experience in WiFi at doubles on GB, it's better having a sure punish against an opportunity than a possible whiffed bair/uair because of lag.

lol owait, I'm not illinialex.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Intro: Way too many pounds. Through in a drop dash attack, a shield, or a few bairs at the very least.

:27 Went through opponent. Not bad at this but if it becomes a pattern, you will be punished.

:43 Why?? Do you want to die? Why land right next to a ready G&W?

:44 Stupid uair. Just left yourself wide open for the grab by going through the opponent.

3:07 If you wanna F-smash them, do it spontaneously, no charge. It doesn't work if you hold it down.

3:24 Try not to let him just run blatantly into you and hit you.

Much better job overall but its hard to critique because a lot of the stuff you did was perfectly right, but because you were facing a G&W, it was punished anyway. Try one on a more even opponent and I can have a really fair look. But great Jigglypuff in that match.

Glick

Smash Lord
iMOAR JAB LOCK!
DUDE I KNOW I SAW THE OPPORTUNITY BUT SCREWED IT UP.

Intro: Way too many pounds. Through in a drop dash attack, a shield, or a few bairs at the very least.

:27 Went through opponent. Not bad at this but if it becomes a pattern, you will be punished.

:43 Why?? Do you want to die? Why land right next to a ready G&W?

:44 Stupid uair. Just left yourself wide open for the grab by going through the opponent.

3:07 If you wanna F-smash them, do it spontaneously, no charge. It doesn't work if you hold it down.

3:24 Try not to let him just run blatantly into you and hit you.

Much better job overall but its hard to critique because a lot of the stuff you did was perfectly right, but because you were facing a G&W, it was punished anyway. Try one on a more even opponent and I can have a really fair look. But great Jigglypuff in that match.
:27 meh. Its more like a mindgame. I wanted him to start throwing out smashs so I couldn't punish him for it. He was just tilting and fairing it was really confusing me.

:43 poop.

:44 *****s dont know about my desperate attempts to get him in the air.

3:07 That was a mindgame, It would have worked too if his stupid fish didn't have to go all the way around his body

3:24 Wifi johns.

Thanks.

Tyser

Smash Champion
It was a WiFi match so your mistakes are forgivable :p. Off topic sort of but, jab locking isnt banned right? Because I do it friggin often (Fair, Bair, Nair at 40-60% is redunk setup). I ♥ jab locking.

Glick

Smash Lord
Jab locking isn't banned. I dont think i've ever pulled of a jab lock in a ladder match/tourny match. I've done it a bunch of times in friendlys though.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
My Jiggs isn't worth a critique. I just use her for fun at times. If I ever manage to take her more seriously I'll post a vid. But I also don't record so... shrug.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Okay...this is of my first time using jiggs against another person...I'm not sure why I choose him to play as, I never really looked at jiggs in brawl before, so I didn't know any strategies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsGQ7FO4Wnc
I can't critique this very deeply but I can give you basic pointers:

You're instincts are good. You had good ideas most of the match but....

You're spacing would be pretty bad against a good opponent. This guy never shielded and never used grab as King Dedede, two staples of his gameplay, so you weren't punished for it.

I need to see you face a much better opponent to critique you well...

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Alrighty. Well I didn't record any, but the next time I go on AiB which will be tomorrow night probably. I will do a ladder match and record it. Weather I win or lose I'll put it up for critiquing. That way I cant do any of that 3 stock videos online only bull**** I do a lot.
pound is gay

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
glick youve got some unbelievable combos. the only problem is it seems like offline people would be able to airdodge a lot easier (and i dont think your rollouts would be as effective), offline videos would show me how much more conservative you need to be.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3IPDLhciE

Critiquing this would be awesome. =] I think I have spacing issues that I need to work on, but I'm sure that there is a lot that I'm not seeing in this match that's hindering me.
Actually, I like your spacing a lot better than almost every player I see for the first time here. Nice job. But you made stupid mistakes that are easily remedied. Like the fact that you are on the ground way too much, especially against a Kirby. His ground game kills you, be careful. Its essentially your ground game but better in every way.

Also, don't use D-tilt ever.

Next, if a Kirby uses rollout, hold shield. He gets insane lag if you shield it so it sets up an F-smash.

Also, nice grab work.

Top Bottom