• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Jigglypuff Social Thread (read first post!)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
View attachment 96035
Whoever made the decision to put Jigglypuff first on the patch notes header has a really sick sense of humor...

Seriously, if, whoever you are, happen to be here, this kind of stuff really gets people's hopes up, for the love of Arceus, do not put a character that people anxiously want buffs for as the first character if they didn't actually get anything, otherwise it just seems like your actually trying to make people salty.
(I bet five dollars that was the goal of it though)
Lol, I was going to post something about this too, but IDK how to add a picture on here.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
View attachment 96035
Whoever made the decision to put Jigglypuff first on the patch notes header has a really sick sense of humor...

Seriously, if, whoever you are, happen to be here, this kind of stuff really gets people's hopes up, for the love of Arceus, do not put a character that people anxiously want buffs for as the first character if they didn't actually get anything, otherwise it just seems like your actually trying to make people salty. If you didn't know she wasn't buffed beforehand, and just saw that header, you'd probably assume she got buffs, and probably end up very disappointed.
(I bet five dollars getting people mad was the goal of it though)
I didn't see that change on the main page yet so I became hopeful:).Then:ohwell:.Not so much:upsidedown:

Jiggly was right

Furret24

Smash Master
View attachment 96035

Seriously, if, whoever you are, happen to be here, this kind of stuff really gets people's hopes up, for the love of Arceus, do not put a character that people anxiously want buffs for as the first character if they didn't actually get anything, otherwise it just seems like your actually trying to make people salty. If you didn't know she wasn't buffed beforehand, and just saw that header, you'd probably assume she got buffs, and probably end up very disappointed.
(I bet five dollars getting people mad was the goal of it though)
It was probably added to upset people, but I found it pretty funny.

:162:

Last edited:

Smeefy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smeefed
That would be cool. Give sing command grab properties. This would make it so you can't chain it, but that would be the tiniest downside to the crazy buff it would get.
Could I join the discord I just got the app

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
So Sakurai has confirmed that development on the game has ended. Which almost certainly means no more patches.

Which... means we'll never get nerfed! Yaaaaaaaay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Sakurai has confirmed that development on the game has ended. Which almost certainly means no more patches.

Which... means we'll never get nerfed! Yaaaaaaaay.
I'm really tired of people spreading misinformation, so I'll just say this: Sakurai literally never explicitly stated anything about balance patches ending. I wish people actually read the article and didn't watch GameXplain's video which extrapolated the situation. The game's development, as in stages, characters and the lot are over. Many, many games continue to be updated years after their release, and I'm sure people at Sora or Namco Bandai will be around to fix any remaining problems with the game or balance characters further.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I did read the article. One of the very first things that Sakurai brought up was that the game had finished development, complete with thanking the staff for working on it and joking about an "extended vacation."

I'm still aware of the albeit small possibility of patches continuing (note that I said "almost certainly"), but I mean... c'mon.

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Development is development. They had already announced that they were finished with any new content to be added in the game when Bayo and Corrin were announced, and I fully expect that this is all what was meant, as it should be obvious that new content creation is by far the most taxing part of new patches. They haven't stopped working on new content until now -- Roy, Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin, along with all the new stages and Miis and other extras -- finally that much is over and they can relax. It doesn't mean that there's no more work on the game entirely. It's also possible (although I'm reaching here) that with the focus of staff leaving all the new content, that they'll be able to concentrate more on tweaking.

I can say with a reasonable amount of conviction that he's talking about the game's main flow of new content, and in the original japanese article (which I can't find??) it would be more clear that he's reiterating this for the Famitsu column rather than giving new information, and giving some standard japanese gratitudes and sighs of relief for finally completing its content. I'm not saying that they haven't stopped all work, and this could have been the final patch, but I don't think this blurb in a personal column is enough to go on to conclude that all work has finished. Especially when we already know there's still more work to come for the NX port.

The easy answer here is just to look at Japan's scene and see if they're freaking out about this. I haven't checked, but I expect not.

Last edited:

Duck Hunted

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I just started getting into Jigglypuff and thought maybe you guys could help me with my progress! I play Jiggly on Wii U as a secondary next to Duck Hunt. I have gotten pretty good, so I thought I could view the forums!

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys! I just started getting into Jigglypuff and thought maybe you guys could help me with my progress! I play Jiggly on Wii U as a secondary next to Duck Hunt. I have gotten pretty good, so I thought I could view the forums!
Fancy meeting you here Duck Hunted.

Unfortunately, I don't main Puff, so I can't help you there.

@Zero Soul, you mind helping this guy out?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I just saw Jigglypuff's forward air clank with Bayonetta's up smash. This game doesn't make sense.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I just saw Jigglypuff's forward air clank with Bayonetta's up smash. This game doesn't make sense.
If what I've heard is correct (and what I've heard is from a buddy who messes around with the game's programming quite a bit, so I'm confident it is), then that's because Bayonetta's smash attacks have the same kind of priority that items do.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If what I've heard is correct (and what I've heard is from a buddy who messes around with the game's programming quite a bit, so I'm confident it is), then that's because Bayonetta's smash attacks have the same kind of priority that items do.
Wow, that's... lazy.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
What's lazy about it? They wanted her smash attacks to interact with aerials so they gave it that property.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
No, because that isn't how moves beating each other work (no such thing as "priority values"). They just gave the Weave hitboxes the clank property, the same as most projectiles; they just happen to not be multihit projectiles, so nothing happens once the one hitbox clanks. They didn't literally go "this acts as an item". It's the same as using nair through e.g. Aura Sphere, Pikmin smashes, Link arrows, Luma upsmash (but not Rosa's), Bowser Jr's cannonball, ROB gyro, Villager slingshots, among other moves.

The reason you can use nair through Witch Time and still clank with the Weave is because only one hitbox of nair is canceled by Witch Time, while the second one is still active and can clank. After that there are no more hitboxes, so you can't for example clank with a Weave and then also hit Bayo, but if you don't clank the second hitbox you can hit Bayo. Also, this whole thing assumes that Witch Time activated from nair's strong hit; if it's the weak hit, that's the only active hitbox, which is canceled by Witch Time and you can then get hit by a Weave.

I haven't checked, but this is also very likely the reason why you can nair though Corrin's fsmash. Same deal.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Fancy meeting you here Duck Hunted.

Unfortunately, I don't main Puff, so I can't help you there.

@Zero Soul, you mind helping this guy out?
I'm so sorry for not seeing this sooner, name didn't tag me. Sorry.
Well, uh, I guess I could help, but I don't know what exactly he needs help with? Either way, if either you or him need help just PM me about it, no guarantees on if I'll actually be able to help, but I'll try my best to help you and/or him out with whatever it is, okay? Once again, sorry for how late this is.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Going off of this Bayo talk, I'm honestly starting to think she might be more around the high-mid level of things, give or take. Her recovery is extremely gimpable, her frame data is god-awful (which makes for a worse neutral), the fact that sdi can destroy her combos (which makes her kill setups less reliable as a result, making her that much more dependent on hard reads with Witch time or a smash attack to kill)... her mobility also feels a little bit eh, at least on the ground, though that could just be me. Witch Time staling and the extra lag on Bullet Arts doesn't really help her (and while you can't reflect the bullets, characters with counters can make her pay for it).

She's got some pretty nice stuff going for her, but well... yeah. That's quite the list of flaws, and imo what she does have at least right now isn't enough to counteract that.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I know this post is old, but could you give me the link? Finally got a discord
Alright, I'll be putting up a Discord thread in the Puff Server for you and the rest.

Just want to let you know that this is not an alternative to smashboards and any findings/discussions should be reported on this website and not just kept in chat. This is to keep in touch of what's happening and live video critique and advice. Also memes, run by pidge.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that Jigglypuff has been struggling a lot, so I did design a customization to try to give it a bigger punch.

A +105 attack, along with the Air Attacker and Critical Hitter bonus effects, can really lead to a lot of pain if you get those 3x multiplier hits. However, that -42 defense does mean that Jigglypuff is a glass cannon, so it's easily wiped out if a heavy-hitting attack hits it.

The Stroller X Attack does weaken Jigglypuff's running speed, but that's quite moot when it's faster in the air; Stroller also makes the defense drop weaker than if the Sixfold X Attack was used instead. The +19 speed makes it a bit faster than normal, which helps its air mobility.

Last edited:

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
It's a great combo starter :) (and it combos into rest)
I don't know why, but I feel like FF Uair is an underrated move in Jiggs' arsenal
It combos into almost anything and can be used for a kill confirm

Awesome videos btw :)

Last edited:

RDR7

Smash Cadet
I don't know why, but I feel like FF Uair is an underrated move in Jiggs' arsenal
It combos into almost anything and can be used for a kill confirm

Awesome videos btw :)
The problem is landing it in neutral as its not safe on shield. It has a high amount of reward. Now if only they didn't add 9 frames of lag to it during the transition of brawl to sm4sh maybe it would be a better juggling move.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Puff Uair is basically as scary as Cloud Uair, barring that it's worse in almost every way. Personally, I'd say it's my favorite Rest setup- though of course Dair is generally better, Uair's just so easy to follow up on when you land it.

(Edit: In regards to customs, I love using Max-power Jigglypuff. Pound instabreaks any shield that isn't heavily bolstered with defense, Rest combos become murderous, and you're impossible to combo because you die in basically one hit.)

Last edited:

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
We need a resource thread with links to all information we have gathered. Far too much useful stuff get buried in "Has pound been buffed" threads. I'll make one tomorrow or the day after if no one objects.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
That sounds like a fantastic idea. There're so many horribly uninformed viewpoints concerning our character and being able to point towards something like that would help to dispel those at least a little bit.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys so ive been talking about dropping puff entirely since this last patch dropped, and i did drop her as my main a couple of months ago.. But alas, i just cant seem to let go of the puff!

This Saturday will be my first time running her in tournament, and i need some advice. Im fairly good at spacing my aerials (fair bair nair) in neutral, but sometimes it seems as if my opponents just see through it all and rush in, dominating the pace of the match regaurdless. As i said, my spacing is pretty good, and it just doesnt seem to be enough at times, especially against characters like shiek that can all around just outplay me at my own game - weaving in and out spacing aerials. And so i try to play more bait and punish, because they over power me in the spacing game because of superior frame data, but some characters have such little endlag that that statagy seems to do no good, either. What do i do?????

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

RDR7

Smash Cadet
Alright guys so ive been talking about dropping puff entirely since this last patch dropped, and i did drop her as my main a couple of months ago.. But alas, i just cant seem to let go of the puff!

This Saturday will be my first time running her in tournament, and i need some advice. Im fairly good at spacing my aerials (fair bair nair) in neutral, but sometimes it seems as if my opponents just see through it all and rush in, dominating the pace of the match regaurdless. As i said, my spacing is pretty good, and it just doesnt seem to be enough at times, especially against characters like shiek that can all around just outplay me at my own game - weaving in and out spacing aerials. And so i try to play more bait and punish, because they over power me in the spacing game because of superior frame data, but some characters have such little endlag that that statagy seems to do no good, either. What do i do?????

PLEASE HELP
Well spacing isn't the entire game here. If your opponents see through your aerial game then it's too obvious. Try mixups, punishing their options out of shield with dash attack (at a safe percent only or you will get punished.) If your opponent is rushing you down be more defensive or use retreating aerials (nair, fair) Or you could try different means of damage, jab -> grab, dair -> grab.

Jiggswiggs

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterGamerJake
But Jigglypuff has rest combos that can kill like take your opponents controller and throw it away and then rest brilliant I know

I don't get why some want her gone. (Not in this thread of course, but elsewhere.) She's integral to the series. I just hope they restore Melee rest, plus maybe a few additional buffs. Her fall from fame from Melee to Brawl was a sad sight...
Brawl was a sad sight in general

Last edited by a moderator:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
RDR7 RDR7 I definitely need to work in more back > forth aerials instead of always weaving forth > back. Aside from that, what should I do as a mix up sub 40%, before I can start using dash attack? Jab is good, but there is really no way I can find to approach with it, and its not really fast enough to use as a punish oos unless your opponent misspaces or does something really unsafe. Empty hop grab is an option, but its really the same as spacing aerials where its completely shut down by the opponents own aggressive aerials. (sorry if this isn't the place to talk so much strategy but since your first response was here Itd be kind of silly to move it to a different thread)

Last edited:
Top Bottom