• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Jigglypuff Social Thread (read first post!)

Hong

The Strongest
This thread is totally nonsense, we are DISCUSSING JIGGLYPUFF ON A VILLAGER THREAD! PLEASE SOMEONE LOCK THIS!
Oh, I've been watching.

The thing is, @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon has constructively given reasons for why Villager is a Jigglypuff replacement. I strongly disagree with it, and wish the thread would be more about that then Jigglypuff's merit as a character, even if that slightly ties into whether or not Jigglypuff should return.
But it is a legitimate concern. All of this has been moved to the Jigglypuff thread, since it's more about her than Villager.

@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon and @ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf can continue their debate here.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I've been watching.

The thing is, @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon has constructively given reasons for why Villager is a Jigglypuff replacement. I strongly disagree with it, and wish the thread would be more about that then Jigglypuff's merit as a character, even if that slightly ties into whether or not Jigglypuff should return.
But it is a legitimate concern. All of this has been moved to the Jigglypuff thread, since it's more about her than Villager.

@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon and @ EbonyRubberWolf EbonyRubberWolf can continue their debate here.
I think we concluded just as the posts got moved. o.O Oh well! Go Jiggly. You're practically in already!

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff Status: Either a Secret Fighter, or DLC or Cut

Most Likely the first 2 but I'd be a fool to say she "deserves" to get in. The only thing that would save her besides a somewhat, unique moveset is being part of the "Original 12" , a fanmade term that while holds some weight, remains to be questioned. If anything, it's the Original 8. If the leak is true, that would mean Ness was almost cut twice. So much for veteran status. I would not mind her return so I can beat up my favorite punching bag, but I won't say there is really any reason why she get in.She's completely irrelevant in both the anime and games, no where nearly as popular as she used to be, lost her joke character status etc.

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, for everyone saying jigglypuff is not relevant... I just bought a jigglypuff t shirt from hot topic a couple weeks ago.
She's in the main commercial for that new pokemon art game and given the new fairy type of pokemon that was just released last year, she's extremely relevant in gaming, television and merchandise.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Seriously, for everyone saying jigglypuff is not relevant... I just bought a jigglypuff t shirt from hot topic a couple weeks ago.
She's in the main commercial for that new pokemon art game and given the new fairy type of pokemon that was just released last year, she's extremely relevant in gaming, television and merchandise.
B-but the anime...

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering why this thread was ran over by the same butthurt Mewtwo fans who always complain she's in the game, I can't believe people still haven't gotten over her inclusion, Jigglypuff made it, your ****ty pokemon didn't, deal with it

I'm also going to laugh in your faces whenever Jigglypuff makes it into the game again and Mewtwo doesn't

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I posted this in the Sceptile thread as well, though it hurts my argument this time. Just though I'd post this as a reference to any wondering who is the most popular of the three remaining Pokemon being considered for Smash.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Sceptile&cmpt=q

For anyone who doesn't feel like looking it's:

1. Mewtwo
2. Sceptile
3. Jigglypuff.

Sceptile was always third up until the ORAS announcement, and Jigglypuff was more popular around what I assume is Brawls release, but it didn't last long. So basically Mewtwo is the clear most popular. With Jigglypuff and Sceptile being all but a tie. Sceptile technically has the lead, but if Jigglypuff is announced she will probably go up to #2. Possibly even #1 if Mewtwo isn't included.

This obviously can't be 100% reliable, as it is only how many times that term has been searched for on Google. But it is really the only basis we have to go off of.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
This is the biggest thing actually, she has brand power and is pretty damn merchandisable, more than Mewtwo. Her name and design are very recognizable.

Really, it's just the anime going against her, but who else but Pikachu, Meowth and Wobbuffet (again) actually frequently appears in the anime?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is the biggest thing actually, she has brand power and is pretty damn merchandisable, more than Mewtwo. Her name and design are very recognizable.
I bet it was next to the an Invader Zim DVD set and an original Power Rangers hat.
That proves even moreso she is merely a rep of the 151.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The fact that some people consider Jigglypuff and Mewtwo toe to toe against each other in this scenario is pretty whacko to begin with. Pokémon had 6 reps last game, it's entirely up to Sakurai if he wants to give them 6 reps again. Mewtwo has to make it in on his own merits, if Sakurai doesn't regret having cut him he simply won't be in, and he's certainly not going to take Jigglypuff's spot either as she has already been of higher priority than him once before.

Honestly, if there's one thing that ticks me off about the Mewtwo fanbase it's that they always wage war against whatever Pokémon they can. First it was Lucario because he was in the Brawl leak and Mewtwo wasn't, then it's Greninja because he was confirmed but Mewtwo wasn't, then it's Sceptile because he has potential to be a Smash character, and now it's Jigglypuff because there's presumably a sacred 5th Pokémon slot. Stop it guys, it's nothing but annoying having to listen to it constantly, and it has quickly swayed me away from Mewtwo support.

Morbi

Scavenger
The fact that some people consider Jigglypuff and Mewtwo toe to toe against each other in this scenario is pretty whacko to begin with. Pokémon had 6 reps last game, it's entirely up to Sakurai if he wants to give them 6 reps again. Mewtwo has to make it in on his own merits, if Sakurai doesn't regret having cut him he simply won't be in, and he's certainly not going to take Jigglypuff's spot either as she has already been of higher priority than him once before.

Honestly, if there's one thing that ticks me off about the Mewtwo fanbase it's that they always wage war against whatever Pokémon they can. First it was Lucario because he was in the Brawl leak and Mewtwo wasn't, then it's Greninja because he was confirmed but Mewtwo wasn't, then it's Sceptile because he has potential to be a Smash character, and now it's Jigglypuff because there's presumably a sacred 5th Pokémon slot. Stop it guys, it's nothing but annoying having to listen to it constantly, and it has quickly swayed me away from Mewtwo support.
I agree with this sentiment; there is no correlation between Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. They will both get in the game based on their own merit. Although, I do not necessarily agree with the assertion that the priority list is relevant as Smash 4's priority list is not the equivalent of Brawl's priority list.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Here's what I currently think of Jiggs' chances, comments?

In favor:
Helps Pikachu represent the cute side of Pokemon
Fairy typing (a new mechanic that helped balance the type matchup, improving the game, was also whooped up quite a lot by GF)
O12 status (seniority may not trump all, but it's still a good card to have)
Appearances in recent commercials and promos (nothing big but still)
Against:
Time constraints (this is one nasty pothole if Jigglypuff is a back seater like she apparently was in Brawl)
Possible competition (Pokemon moving down to 5 reps is not impossible, Mewtwo and Jiggles may have had to again go for each other's throats or whatever Jiggly has)
A division in the fanbase (a good 30 - 40% want her gone, perhaps more than that)

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I have a hard time believing they'd cut Little Miss Jigglypuff. She (I call her she) has the potential to have a couple new moves based on her new Fairy Type powers. I also think it would be cool if they made the move Sing into a projectile since it was basically USELESS in Brawl.

I have faith in your return Ms. Puff.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I wouldn't count on Puff getting Fairy moves when the only Pokemon moves Greninja got were Water Shuriken and Substitute. Sakurai finalized the roster without knowing much about X/Y, and he designed Greninja based on his ninja aesthetic design alone from concept arts.

He likely didn't know Jigglypuff received a type change.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
As a hardcore Puff main in Melee and Brawl, make Rest, Rollout, or Sing viable moves.

Any of the three would be amazing.
It would also be nice if they got rid of pound and gave her a Standard B attack that was useful in some way. :) Perhaps a charge up attack like Dazzling Gleam!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
It would also be nice if they got rid of pound and gave her a Standard B attack that was useful in some way. :) Perhaps a charge up attack like Dazzling Gleam!
*Side B

Does anyone else have an idea for a cool replacement move? Do most people like her Pound move? I didn't find it useful whatsoever.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
*Side B

Does anyone else have an idea for a cool replacement move? Do most people like her Pound move? I didn't find it useful whatsoever.
I love Pound, it's the easiest of her specials. But to me, Rollout seems more appropriate for a side special.

I think only one move change is necessary, the rest just need reworked. Preferably her final smash can be changed to something Fairy like Dazzling Gleam.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I honestly think her biggest point of her making/not making it is how relevant she is to game the series nowadays. Which is pretty much nothing special.
we also need to remember Jigglypuff is a part of the original 12 fighters which is a big factor for her being put in SSB4

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I honestly think her biggest point of her making/not making it is how relevant she is to game the series nowadays. Which is pretty much nothing special.
Relevancy is hard to argue with Pokemon, and if you ask me, it's a non-factor.
The thing about Jigglypuff is that, like Pikachu, you can catch her in every Pokemon game, and she's not the kind of common Pokemon like Geodude or Zubat either, she's actually rare. That says something, if you ask me.
Not to mention that the only generation where you could only catch her in the post game is gen 5, but Pikachu is like that as well. Meaning that Gen 5 aside, you can have her in your main team in every game. (Correct me if I'm wrong about D/P/Pt, since I don't remember if the trophy garden was post game only.)

I don't think any Pokemon shares that spot with Pikachu. EDIT: On second thought, Psyduck as well.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Looks to me that she's among the best reps of the 151, then.
Yeah, right after Pikachu, the starters, and Mewtwo.
I've actually got a great T-shirt that has Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle Ivysaur, and Charizard in Power Ranger attire.
It is the background to my phone.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Relevancy is hard to argue with Pokemon, and if you ask me, it's a non-factor.
The thing about Jigglypuff is that, like Pikachu, you can catch her in every Pokemon game, and she's not the kind of common Pokemon like Geodude or Zubat either, she's actually rare. That says something, if you ask me.
Not to mention that the only generation where you could only catch her in the post game is gen 5, but Pikachu is like that as well. Meaning that Gen 5 aside, you can have her in your main team in every game. (Correct me if I'm wrong about D/P/Pt, since I don't remember if the trophy garden was post game only.)

I don't think any Pokemon shares that spot with Pikachu. EDIT: On second thought, Psyduck as well.
Relevancy is one of the factors Sakurai mentioned in an interview for picking the roster. Unlike Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja & Mewtwo who all have atleast more than a 'just a wild pokemon' status. However I do believe that everything beside that works in her favor of returning. For example O12, a fanbase, unique moveset/concept and other things.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I'm actually torn, my heart is saying that Jiggs will for sure return, and my brain is saying that Jiggs is cut.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I was wondering why this thread was ran over by the same butthurt Mewtwo fans who always complain she's in the game, I can't believe people still haven't gotten over her inclusion, Jigglypuff made it, your ****ty pokemon didn't, deal with it

I'm also going to laugh in your faces whenever Jigglypuff makes it into the game again and Mewtwo doesn't
Oh me too man, me too.

Jiggs is probably my #1 most wanted character for Smash 4, although I don't really tend to get too invested in a game's roster before it comes out. If she doesn't get in, I still have Kirby, so I won't be THAT upset, but still =(

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wouldn't count on Puff getting Fairy moves when the only Pokemon moves Greninja got were Water Shuriken and Substitute. Sakurai finalized the roster without knowing much about X/Y, and he designed Greninja based on his ninja aesthetic design alone from concept arts.

He likely didn't know Jigglypuff received a type change.
Givne what he knos about the Pokemon series, I wouldnt be surprised if he heard Jiggs got the fairy type and added wings and a wand to her design.

Which admittedly would make me allow her into my heart.
I really want a pixie character.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I feel like this question has been asked before, but if Jigglypuff was incorparated fairy moves into her movset, what would go with what.

I thought of this the other day and felt that Fairy Wind could replace Sing, but Sing is wayyy too iconic of a move to just get rid of like that.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd say replace Rollout, her Final Smash, and rework her Smash Attacks and grab animations. Don't be afraid to add some flair to other moves too, but also don't replace them completely. Remember, she's still half Normal-type.

• Dazzling gleam becomes new neutral B. Bright Light surrounds her and strikes repeatedly, sorta like Mewtwo's Nair.
  • Misty Terrain becomes new Final Smash. Enemies are lulled to sleep and take damage, and Jiggs has an opportunity to attack.
  • Her Smash Attacks can become variations of Disarming Voice, pink shockwaves of sound and echoing "PUFF" sounds effects.
  • Incorporate Draining Kiss into one of her throws. You can't follow up with a combo, but it steals a little bit of health form the opponent.
There's definitely some fun stuff to work with there. that won't tarnish her character design as an airborne character and such, but maybe give her some useful ground attacks.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Honestly, I'd say replace Rollout, her Final Smash, and rework her Smash Attacks and grab animations. Don't be afraid to add some flair to other moves too, but also don't replace them completely. Remember, she's still half Normal-type.

• Dazzling gleam becomes new neutral B. Bright Light surrounds her and strikes repeatedly, sorta like Mewtwo's Nair.
  • Misty Terrain becomes new Final Smash. Enemies are lulled to sleep and take damage, and Jiggs has an opportunity to attack.
  • Her Smash Attacks can become variations of Disarming Voice, pink shockwaves of sound and echoing "PUFF" sounds effects.
  • Incorporate Draining Kiss into one of her throws. You can't follow up with a combo, but it steals a little bit of health form the opponent.
There's definitely some fun stuff to work with there. that won't tarnish her character design as an airborne character and such, but maybe give her some useful ground attacks.
Good thoughts! Although I'd rather have Moonblast as her final Smash! I know she can't actually learn it in the game (which sucks), but Sakurai always works things around. Pikachu can't learn skull bash anymore, yet he still uses it

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I also want and expect Jigglypuff to return. Obviously, it's not the best indicator - but I feel fairly confident that the only cuts we'll see are characters who were newcomers to Brawl - since only newcomers were sliced from Melee to Brawl.

It's pretty obvious that we're already seeing a Squirtle and Ivysaur chop, and I'll be honest when I say that I would be incredibly surprised to see Snake return. After those three, I believe we'll be seeing two, possibly three more cuts. The most likely, from my own thinking, would have to be Lucas, Wolf, and/or R.O.B.

However, it's entirely possible we'll be seeing far fewer cuts in general this time around. Maybe Squirtle/Ivysaur/Possibly Snake are the only cuts we'll be seeing. Either way, Jigglypuff feels very, very safe to me.

gogoedward

Smash Rookie
Seeing as Jiggs is my main I'm hoping she'll make a comeback and in all honesty feel pretty confident that she will return.

As far as relevancy goes I think that's really something that can't be factored any longer. Sheik is probably the best example of this. She was in one game and has pretty much been replaced in all the new Zelda games by Impa. However Sheik is incredibly relevant to the Smash Bros. series and thus makes a return. I think the same is true for Jiggs. While she may no longer be a prominent poke-mascot she's been a mainstay of the Smash Bros. series since the beginning, and is a pretty popular character at that. She's very relevant to *this* series, is what I'm getting at.

I also love the idea of giving her some fairy-type moves to reflect the new XY games. Even if she just had some of her basic attacks reskinned with sparkles I'd be happy. Actual new moves would be nice. I'd love for Jiggs to have more combo potential than what she had in Brawl, but I also kind of love how simple (yet still great to use) she plays compared to a lot of characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Seeing as Jiggs is my main I'm hoping she'll make a comeback and in all honesty feel pretty confident that she will return.

As far as relevancy goes I think that's really something that can't be factored any longer. Sheik is probably the best example of this. She was in one game and has pretty much been replaced in all the new Zelda games by Impa. However Sheik is incredibly relevant to the Smash Bros. series and thus makes a return. I think the same is true for Jiggs. While she may no longer be a prominent poke-mascot she's been a mainstay of the Smash Bros. series since the beginning, and is a pretty popular character at that. She's very relevant to *this* series, is what I'm getting at.

I also love the idea of giving her some fairy-type moves to reflect the new XY games. Even if she just had some of her basic attacks reskinned with sparkles I'd be happy. Actual new moves would be nice. I'd love for Jiggs to have more combo potential than what she had in Brawl, but I also kind of love how simple (yet still great to use) she plays compared to a lot of characters.
Would you still main her if cooking mama got in?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Can Jigglypuff's Final Smash be Moonblast?

The moon from Majora's Mask appears and crushes the stage; Jigglypuff will be what Skull Kid is not.

Top Bottom