• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Jigglypuff Social Thread (read first post!)

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I suspect that Jigglypuff will, as always, be in Smash. They've never cut an Original (yeah yeah there were only two games where they could have) but my point stands! Hell, if Charizard can stay in, so can Jigglypuff.

But they really need to make Sing put people to sleep for even like a second longer. So she could get in like 1 hit or something. If not, I guess she could still make an awesome tagteam partner. Ooh, especially with Little Mac and his guaranteed uppercut knock-out.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I hope Jigglypuff ends up somehow being the next veteran revealed, as unlikely it is, just to stop all the knee-jerk reactions about her and Mewtwo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If they still add Jigglypuff, which I am assuming they will, because the other returning characters are getting all sorts of nice upgrades, I expect Jigglypuff to borrow some new specials/FS from her new typing.

Pokemon fans more dedicated to Fairy types than I, feel free to suggest potential new moves for it.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Jigglypuff gone? I could die laughing at all of this misinterpretation. They would not give Jigglypuff the bus ride, nor anybody else from the original twelve guy roster in the first smash.

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
In terms of Pokemon, best-case scenario, both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo get in, worst-case scenario Mewtwo gets in and Jigglypuff doesn't and a perfectly ok scenario is Mewtwo not getting in and Jigglypuff does get in.

No way in hell Mewtwo would get in over her, didn't happen in the original Smash, didn't happen in Brawl, won't happen now.

Shroob

Sup?
Every Pokemon in this game is relevant to the 6th gen, and Jigglypuff just got fairy typing to make her 'relevant' again.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Jigglypuff will make it in for the same reason she's made it all the way up to Brawl: She's easy to make. Doesn't matter if Pokémon ends up getting 6 reps, Jigglypuff is the very essence of low effort = high value.

I'm still very optimistic that by the end of this ride, a Puff awaits us all.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
To be honest I feel like we will not find out if Jigglypuff is in the game or not until there is an official roster leak or when the 3DS version comes out. If she is in the game, shes most likely not being revealed on the website until after the 3DS's release at least. I mean, they gotta reveal SOMEONE after the 3DS ver comes out on the pic of the day.

Shroob

Sup?
Considering we only have 29 characters at the moment, it's a given that not everyone is going to be shown pre-3ds release, even though we'll know the roster by the time we get our hands on the 3ds version.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
i couldn't care less for jiggs in smash, veteran or not.
uninspired moveset and attacks the cheap gimmicky gameplay, i would have preferred jiggs got cut for mewtwo in brawl. hell even the developers didnt care about brawl jiggs because not even ganon suffered as many nerfs as jiggs did. jiggs should have been a brawl assist trophy at best. zoroark, darkrai, and gen 2 and 3 pokemon like scizor aggron sceptile blaziken feraligatr ANY cool well known pokemon should have gotten jiggs spot in brawl. and i hope one gets jiggs spot in this one

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
uninspired moveset and attacks the cheap gimmicky gameplay, i would have preferred jiggs got cut for mewtwo in brawl. hell even the developers didnt care about brawl jiggs because not even ganon suffered as many nerfs as jiggs did. jiggs should have been a brawl assist trophy at best. zoroark, darkrai, and gen 2 and 3 pokemon like scizor aggron sceptile blaziken feraligatr ANY cool well known pokemon should have gotten jiggs spot in brawl. and i hope one gets jiggs spot in this one
Original 12 > all random "better" Pokémon, especially some scrubtwo who already got cut once (got a Master Ball with his name on it, ready and waiting). Come on, if they didn't ditch her in Brawl they won't ditch her at all. But please buff Sing so the sleep lasts longer, and change her FS.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
when Jiggs gets confirmed, i'm gonna rub it up in your face.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
In your opinion, how much did the Greninja reveal hurt Jigglypuff's chances? Do you think Jigglypuff will still be in?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
In your opinion, how much did the Greninja reveal hurt Jigglypuff's chances? Do you think Jigglypuff will still be in?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Greninja's reveal doesn't put a dent in either Mewtwo or Jigglypuff's chances.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Doesn't six representatives for one series seem a little extreme? I know it's Pokemon, but still.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Doesn't six representatives for one series seem a little extreme? I know it's Pokemon, but still.
Not really. Sakurai did count each of PT's Pokemon in Brawl as separate characters. Add Pikachu, Jiggs, and Lucario and you have 6.

Plus 6 is the maximum number of Pokemon you can carry in the Pokemon games.

Come on now. It's not like Pokemon is overtaking the whole bloody roster or anything. 6 in a potential roster of 35-40+ ain't much.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Considering that Sakurai counted transformation characters separately, Pokemon already had 6 characters and was meant to have 7, but Mewtwo was cut due to time constraints.

Also "over-representation" hasn't been a problem for Star Fox or Mother.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Considering that Sakurai counted transformation characters separately, Pokemon already had 6 characters and was meant to have 7, but Mewtwo was cut due to time constraints.

Also "over-representation" hasn't been a problem for Star Fox or Mother.
Haha, alright that's true. I just wanted your guys opinion on the matter. I hoping Jigglypuff is in SSB4.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You know whats funny? Lots of people believe Mewtwo will replace Jigglypuff, and they use Jigglypuff's "almost cut from brawl" as their reasoning. But I mean, think about what you're saying here.

Jigglypuff was "Almost Cut"
Mewtwo WAS cut.

Yeah, think about that for a minute.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Yeah bro Haxorus or Salamence or Bisharp would be like waaay better.

No offense but your opinion sucks. Jigglypuff will be in Smash 4 and none of those Pokemon you like will be.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread: Greninja really just took the ever-debated new-gen Poke slot which a lot of people were expecting. Especially now with Squirtle and Ivysaur (presumably) axed there's plenty of room in the roster for both Jigglypuff AND Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Lots of people believe Mewtwo will replace Jigglypuff
I KNOW.
This is totally absurd.

But enough about this positive vibe. Let's go for negative vibe fun.

Imagine you're looking at the next character reveal trailer.

And suddenly, you see a familiar pink tuff of hair.

You get super hype as you go in "Jigglypuff confirmed" mode.

But after seconds of this shot, the camera suddenly zooms out.

Revealing Clefairy as a confirmed character.

Minds would be broken.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I KNOW.
This is totally absurd.

Minds would be broken.
... I think I might actually have to not buy the game if that were to happen

I'd be that salty. Not just cause Jigglypuff wouldn't be in it, but because they'd do something that awful

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I KNOW.
This is totally absurd.

Minds would be broken.
...and eventually we hear the sing started playing. Clefairy fell down on the ground, sleeping.

One mysterious Pokemon took out marker and drew something funny on Clefairy's face.

Camera turned around and...

Now THIS TIME, that mysterious pokemon revealed to be Jigglypuff.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Jigglypuff gone? I could die laughing at all of this misinterpretation. They would not give Jigglypuff the bus ride, nor anybody else from the original twelve guy roster in the first smash.

WHERE DID THIS IDEA COME FROM? As far as I can tell, it is a belief that is just repeated as a mantra, over and over and over and over again, believed to be true based on nothing but further fan speculation.

It just holds no merit, especially for Jiggs, as she does not represent a franchise that literally gets hundreds of possible potential new smash characters every few years (especially as its just popular ones from Pokemon that get in, as greninja proved once and for all; so who that will be needs to be figured out). Keeping her in just to keep her in? The only other character from the original twelve that seems even POSSIBLE to remove could be Ness, as his series could be represented by Lucas, but even that is just so similar it seems to not matter.

No other member of the original twelve really could be removed, seeing as they are all vital to Nintendo, actual All Stars (you could argue Falcon, but there's no other representative from his series that could take his place, and at this point it would be strange to remove Fzero from the game).

So.... yes, she could be cut. It is completely ignorant to state otherwise

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Where was it ever stated that Jigglypuff was almost cut from Brawl? making her a secret fighter and not one of the first unlockables doesn't say anything about how low priority she was.

WHERE DID THIS IDEA COME FROM? As far as I can tell, it is a belief that is just repeated as a mantra, over and over and over and over again, believed to be true based on nothing but further fan speculation.

It just holds no merit, especially for Jiggs, as she does not represent a franchise that literally gets hundreds of possible potential new smash characters every few years (especially as its just popular ones from Pokemon that get in, as greninja proved once and for all; so who that will be needs to be figured out). Keeping her in just to keep her in? The only other character from the original twelve that seems even POSSIBLE to remove could be Ness, as his series could be represented by Lucas, but even that is just so similar it seems to not matter.

No other member of the original twelve really could be removed, seeing as they are all vital to Nintendo, actual All Stars (you could argue Falcon, but there's no other representative from his series that could take his place, and at this point it would be strange to remove Fzero from the game).

Jigglypuff's inclusion is mostly thanks to her popularity in Japan. Yes, being a perfect attendant doesn't exactly cement her in, but they would need real reason for cutting a long runner with an easy design and moveset especially when, popularity aside, she is really just as vital to the franchise as say Lucario.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Where was it ever stated that Jigglypuff was almost cut from Brawl? making her a secret fighter and not one of the first unlockables doesn't say anything about how low priority she was.

Jigglypuff's inclusion is mostly thanks to her popularity in Japan.
Which we have seen has wavered dramatically in fifteen years time.

Yes, being a perfect attendant doesn't exactly cement her in,
No, it doesnt. In fact I think the singular clue we ever get to why people believe this is the event 'perfect attendance'

but they would need real reason for cutting a long runner with an easy design and moveset
It's an easy design, I'll give you that; but it is still HD and takes a considerable amount of effort. Quite. Especially if they want her to be even slightly textured with the hair, or round seeming in HD. Her moveset doesn't have a TON of graphical effect, but that doesnt make it that much easier, as she has just as many moves to tweak, program, and most importantly, balance. It takes just as much effort, Sakurai doesn't play her only once and have it figured out.

especially when, popularity aside, she is really just as vital to the franchise as say Lucario.
Is she though? I don't see games putting any emphasis on her, and never once have I. Lucario is a mascot, favorite, and plot pusher. Jigglypuff USED to be a favorite thanks to the anime, which may have made her a mascot a decade ago. That's about it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster

If character popularity meant anything, how come Mewtwo got cut in Brawl and Jigglypuff didn't? She stopped appearing in the anime before Brawl came out, so she was just as irrelevant then as she is now. Mewtwo on the other hand, well thats pretty self explanatory.

Incase you haven't noticed, Jigglypuff being in Smash for three games in a row has developed a fanbase for her as well, and over each game that fanbase grows stronger, people play the character. Your argument would've worked much better had this been during Brawl's release and we didn't know she was going to make it back or not. But we've already overcomed Jigglypuff's worst chances of returning, we're at this point again now, she beat the odds once, she can do it again.

She can be cut, but that can be said for any unconfirmed veteran. Are her chances of being cut very possible? I'd say she has a better chance of getting in than getting cut, more-so she has a better chance than any other pokemon at this point. Chances don't always mean everything though.

But seriously, does anybody know why Mewtwo even got cut? If its not because of Lucario, then what is

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
As a Jigglypuff main I suffered from horrible abuse from other players. They claimed Jigglypuff is the most annoying character to fight against since she's up in the air so much bobbing back and forth. I'd often get flat out banned from playing as her because people just didn't like fighting against my awesome Jiggs.

For this game if she's still in I hope she's rebuffed and made more annoying to play against than ever. I want to make them suffer for sometimes banning the character even though Jiggs is completely legit.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
You know whats funny? Lots of people believe Mewtwo will replace Jigglypuff, and they use Jigglypuff's "almost cut from brawl" as their reasoning. But I mean, think about what you're saying here.

They just want to believe that because they hate her, but deep down they know it's just bull. Jigglypuff is a mainstay in Smash at this point, i even dare say she overprioritizes Mewtwo in Smash. If Mewtwo comes back he'll replace Ivysaur (because let's say Greninja replaced Squirtle) and Jiggs will still be in. Now, we're at the same number of Pokémon reps as there were in Brawl. I just put this case to an end. :)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yay, let it begin.

Incase you haven't noticed, Jigglypuff being in Smash for three games in a row has developed a fanbase for her as well, and over each game that fanbase grows stronger, people play the character. Your argument would've worked much better had this been during Brawl's release and we didn't know she was going to make it back or not. But we've already overcomed Jigglypuff's worst chances of returning, we're at this point again now, she beat the odds once, she can do it again.
This argument just doesn't make sense. She was never cut, so she never can be? She allegedly was nearly cut in Brawl, and Melee had no time in development to make many choices. Even 64 we don't know who would have been chosen if the game was meant to launch outside of Japan. As far as I am concerned, she has been lucky for a different reason each time, and eventually her coin will land on tails rather than heads.
Also, Brawl WAS slated to be the finale in the trilogy, just look at the arc of the three games, and that this one is taking a different direction. This is the best time of any or her to be cut.

She can be cut, but that can be said for any unconfirmed veteran. Are her chances of being cut very possible? I'd say she has a better chance of getting in than getting cut, more-so she has a better chance than any other pokemon at this point. Chances don't always mean everything though.
Just your opinion.

But seriously, does anybody know why Mewtwo even got cut? If its not because of Lucario, then what is
Speculation is that he was cut because fans were upset that he was so poorly represented in Melee. Him not being in Brawl as a boss makes me think they did have plans to revamp him.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yay, let it begin.
Not even sure what you're implying with this but whatever.

This argument just doesn't make sense. She was never cut, so she never can be? She allegedly was nearly cut in Brawl, and Melee had no time in development to make many choices. Even 64 we don't know who would have been chosen if the game was going to meant to launch outside of Japan. As far as I am concerned, she has been lucky for a different reason each time, and eventually her coin will land on tails rather than heads.
Also, Brawl WAS slated to be the finale in the trilogy, just look at the arc of the three games, and that this one is taking a different direction. This is the best time of any or her to be cut.

Just your opinion.
Congrats so is yours, welcome to the world where anything we discuss here holds no weight due to the roster already being decided long ago. By what you mean as in "eventually landing on tails" simply means it can still land on heads, and as far as I'm concerned that's a 50% chance. Guess we'll have to wait to see if she is lucky again for yet another reason.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
It's about evidence. The fact that none of the original veterans have ever been cut gives reason to doubt Jigglypuff will leave. It's not certain but it's something. Circumstantial yeah but this isn't a court of law.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@ HatsuneMiku HatsuneMiku please read my quotation
It's about evidence. The fact that none of the original veterans have ever been cut gives reason to doubt Jigglypuff will leave. It's not certain but it's something. Circumstantial yeah but this isn't a court of law.
Hmm... but as I said before, majority of the original twelve simply couldnt be cut.
Jigglypuff is really the only one, and to a much lesser extent, Ness, then even less. I explained it above.

himemiya

Smash Lord
I’m 100 percent certain that all the n64 characters will be in garanteed, so when purin is ready to be announce i hope make rollout a viable move like give it super armor so it doesnt get punished as easily. as for up-b maybe give the waves more range or give her a completly new up-b thats useful.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Here's something I'd like everyone to think about; Ness was originally going to get the boot in Melee in favor of Lucas, but made it back anyway when Mother 3 was delayed. They chose to forgo their to cut him in Brawl when Lucas really did get in. Sakurai seems to respect the O12 as the foundation of the roster which is why I'm also sure Ness will return next game, same goes for Jiggs.

Which we have seen has wavered dramatically in fifteen years time.
Has it? I know the Western world was always divided over her, but I don't think "dramatically" is the best term for her decline in Eastern popularity.

It's an easy design, I'll give you that; but it is still HD and takes a considerable amount of effort. Quite. Especially if they want her to be even slightly textured with the hair, or round seeming in HD. Her moveset doesn't have a TON of graphical effect, but that doesnt make it that much easier, as she has just as many moves to tweak, program, and most importantly, balance. It takes just as much effort, Sakurai doesn't play her only once and have it figured out.
Really? I always thought her simplistic moves were at any bit easier program than the more complex fighters.

Is she though? I don't see games putting any emphasis on her, and never once have I. Lucario is a mascot, favorite, and plot pusher. Jigglypuff USED to be a favorite thanks to the anime, which may have made her a mascot a decade ago. That's about it.
It may not be canon, but Pokemon Conquest featured her on the box art and paired her with one of the main characters, if that's what you mean by "featured prominently." And I'm sure Jigglypuff was second banana to Pikachu way back in 96 when it started.

Nothing really proves that he and Lucario were both going to be in, but most likely he was not a very high priority and got cut along with others due to time or file size.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair, Jigglypuff did have a role in X and Y.... as an in-game trade.:troll:

Joking aside, though, Fairy typing. Let's imagine a world where Mewtwo is already in/never existed. For this game, the Pokemon company is pushing all of the things it pushed during its X and Y promotion.

Mega Evolution? Lucario.
New starters? Greninja.
Obtainable Kanto Starters? Charizard.

The only thing that was promoted like crazy that's not in the game right now, is Fairy typing.

"But wait! We didn't get a Dark/Steel type in Melee!"

Yes, but Dark and Steel were nowhere close to how heavily promoted Fairy typing is. Call it a sign of the times and how media has evolved, but Fairy typing was promoted and hyped up much more by the Pokemon Company that Dark and Steel ever were, and guess who one of the first Pokemon confirmed to have it was?

:jigglypuff:

.....And let's face it, unlike Jigglypuff who is already in the game and thus easy advertisement, not a single dark or steel type would have worked in 2nd gen. Yeah, "Murkrow flys into battle" or "Steelix digs his way in!" sure makes a lot of sense... Scizor maybe, but Scizor isn't that 'popular' a Pokemon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom