• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Jigglypuff Social Thread (read first post!)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I think everything in that video has already been said here (not to sound rude about it.)

Also, not to sound nitpicky, but...
Why is Super Smash Bros consistently called Super Smash Bro?

It's not even a typo. It's consistent...

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well that's rather incorrect, during the time of Smash 64, Jigglypuff was ranked as the 2nd most popular Pokemon in Japan and got her own cover in the early VHS days for the Anime. Add the fact that shes an easy model based off of Kirby and its easy to see why she got into smash 64. Even if you look at it in today's standards Jigglypuff is still one of the most recognizable Pokemon in the franchise to fans and non-fans alike. No, she didn't have a big role in the games, but she made a bigger appearance in the anime and her popularity is what causes her to stand out amongst all non-legendary/starter/pikachu Pokemon. Being present in all Smash Bros games up to date has caused her to gain even more popularity and infamously known for being the "joke character" even though she has infamous deadly moves such as Rest. Will she return in Smash 4? Can't say for sure, but she wasn't obviously thrown into smash for no reason, I highly doubt she just got lucky and won a 1/150 chance of being a playable Pokemon character.
Also, I believe I heard stuff saying that it was even considered as one one Game Freak's most favorite pokemon.
So... Im still here, just praying.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So from what I understand...

Supporting Return
+Apparently Popular in Japan.
+Apparently liked by Sakurai/GameFreak.
+Original 12. Inclusion is basically a tradition.
+Low priority in Brawl, but considered a "lock" due to eventual inclusion.
+Known by casuals for it's Smash Bros appearance. Decent sized fanbase.
+Common Pokemon in X/Y, received attention with new typing.
+Among the easiest characters to program, if not the easiest.
+Likely higher priority than clones/semi-clones like Wolf and Lucas.
+Unique moveset and playstyle.

Against Return

-Relevancy/Recency issues.
-Almost cut in Brawl. Possibly low priority again.
-May be considered "dated."
-Brawl was developed like it was the "last game in the series." Jigglypuff's inclusion could have been added in merely to complete the original 12.
-Generally disliked by countries other than Japan.
-Set deadline for SSB4's release. Brawl was delayed numerous times likely to include more characters.
-Possibility that a newcomer will inherit moveset traits and "replace" Jigglypuff.

Obviously the pros outweigh the cons.

But there's always that...

That unspeakable...

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Also, I believe I heard stuff saying that it was even considered as one one Game Freak's most favorite pokemon.
So... Im still here, just praying.
But it's one of sakurai's, well most likely, I mean why else would he add her

So from what I understand...

Supporting Return
+Apparently Popular in Japan.
+Apparently liked by Sakurai/GameFreak.
+Original 12. Inclusion is basically a tradition.
+Low priority in Brawl, but considered a "lock" due to eventual inclusion.
+Known by casuals for it's Smash Bros appearance. Decent sized fanbase.
+Common Pokemon in X/Y, received attention with new typing.
+Among the easiest characters to program, if not the easiest.
+Likely higher priority than clones/semi-clones like Wolf and Lucas.
+Unique moveset and playstyle.
Against Return
-Relevancy/Recency issues.
-Almost cut in Brawl. Possibly low priority again.
-May be considered "dated."
-Brawl was developed like it was the "last game in the series." Jigglypuff's inclusion could have been added in merely to complete the original 12.
-Generally disliked by countries other than Japan.
-Set deadline for SSB4's release. Brawl was delayed numerous times likely to include more characters.
-Possibility that a newcomer will inherit moveset traits and "replace" Jigglypuff.

Obviously the pros outweigh the cons.

But there's always that...

That unspeakable...
The point is she was still included in brawl even though that would have been the perfect time to cut her also what can replace her?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, (fellow) Jigglypuff fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Jigglypuff is just shy of the votes needed to make her a lock, and I really want to see her so we can have the entirety of 64's cast. Can you spare a moment to vote, please?

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Hey, (fellow) Jigglypuff fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Jigglypuff is just shy of the votes needed to make her a lock, and I really want to see her so we can have the entirety of 64's cast. Can you spare a moment to vote, please?
Done :)

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
voted.... i hope she makes it!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Seeing King Dedede looking like his old anime self in Smash 4 made me think of Jigglypuff, among other characters. I'd be quite surprised (and disappointed for that matter) if she didn't have any expressions like these:

EDIT: Ugh, one of the websites wasn't letting one of the images show up.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Seeing King Dedede looking like his old anime self in Smash 4 made me think of Jigglypuff, among other characters. I'd be quite surprised (and disappointed for that matter) if she didn't have any expressions like these:

Yea we need more expression on Jiggs; I mean she is pretty cute but she needs more than just "sorta happy" and "somewhat crying"

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I had a dream Jigglypuff was revealed last night. Then I woke up and realized it was a dream and I cried a little on the inside.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have no doubts Jigglypuff will be back. I mean, she is just not a very time-consuming character to add! Am just not guessing her getting a reveal before Pokémon Trainer. Mewtwo might also be revealed earlier. However, I do think that Pokémon Trainer will be revealed first out of all Pokémon veteran fighters.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Now that new Final Smash for veterans have been confirmed, I think that Jigglypuff NEEDS to get Peach's Final Smash (the Puff Up thing was as pointless as Negative Zone was)...

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Now that new Final Smash for veterans have been confirmed, I think that Jigglypuff NEEDS to get Peach's Final Smash (the Puff Up thing was as pointless as Negative Zone was)...
I agree that she needs a new FS, but I'd be okay with Puff Up again, since it worked decently well on small stages.

If it does come back, it should spike ledge-hoggers. :chuckle:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I very much would like to see Jigglypuff's return.
Certainly excited to see if Jigglypuff is very expressive in this game.

For final smashes, they could probably put in a fairy move. Meaning either Disarming Voice or Dazzling gleam. Though, I'm still fine with puff up.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I very much would like to see Jigglypuff's return.
Certainly excited to see if Jigglypuff is very expressive in this game.

For final smashes, they could probably put in a fairy move. Meaning either Disarming Voice or Dazzling gleam. Though, I'm still fine with puff up.
CoughMoonblastCough

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I would love for Jigglypuff to have Moonblast, but she doesn't learn it.
Then again there is no such thing as Puff up.
I guess I could hope for a Pikachu situation...
Or aura storm and ness and lucas don't even use most of their moves in the actual games

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Or aura storm and ness and lucas don't even use most of their moves in the actual games
Ness and Lucas' situations are canonically explained in Trophy data.

Aura Storm isn't a move so it doesn't matter if Lucario never had it.

It doesn't feel like Jigglypuff should learn MoonBlast if it's shown in canon that she never learns it. Either a new move entirely or one she learns in the games.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Ness and Lucas' situations are canonically explained in Trophy data.

Aura Storm isn't a move so it doesn't matter if Lucario never had it.

It doesn't feel like Jigglypuff should learn MoonBlast if it's shown in canon that she never learns it. Either a new move entirely or one she learns in the games.
Fine then how about play rough, it would do exactly what it does in X and Y, charging at someone and then attacking them and blasting them away

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Fine then how about play rough, it would do exactly what it does in X and Y, charging at someone and then attacking them and blasting them away
She can learn it but it doesn't seem like it really fits as an FS.

It's not like it's some sort of super move or even a special attack.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
She can learn it but it doesn't seem like it really fits as an FS.

It's not like it's some sort of super move or even a special attack.
I think it could work kinda like cook kirby mixed with marth's FS, it dashes forward and attacks the opponent causing a large cloud around them causing damage and then blasting them away

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Wouldn't mind Rollout being canned for something new either.

Sing also needs to represent it's 'high risk, huge reward' aspect better. The character can wake up at the same time you're done. Not a move that you'll use often either way but having it actually being useful wouldn't hurt.

And of course Rest needs to be devastating again.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Wouldn't mind Rollout being canned for something new either.

Sing also needs to represent it's 'high risk, huge reward' aspect better. The character can wake up at the same time you're done. Not a move that you'll use often either way but having it actually being useful wouldn't hurt.

And of course Rest needs to be devastating again.
I like Rollout though... It's such a fun move to fake out hits with (lol no hitbox when turning.)

I guess of all her specials, that would probably be the first one to go.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
with so many pokemon reps already... her chances are looking grim T_T

i hate my life!

Shroob

Sup?
On the contrary, just like I said in the Mewtwo thread, Mewtwo and Jiggs can co-exist.

Pokemon had 6 reps in Brawl if you count each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as their own character, and at the moment, we only have 4. At the moment, we're down 2 characters from what we had in Brawl, and Pokemon has always tied or had the most reps in the series.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I hope Puff comes back, but I'm not holding my breath.

She's my all time favourite smash character though :(

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
My head is still telling me that they'd never dump any of the original 12 but I have this deep feeling of dread about it. I just think it would be a shame if Jiggs was out and Lucario and GRENINJA were in.

Shroob

Sup?
Pokemon had 6 reps in Brawl despite people calling PKMN Trainer a single rep. I don't see that changing. Now that there's no more transformations, someone has to fill those other two slots.

Top Bottom