• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Smashboards (!) plus THREE other Japanese Smash sites (with plans for brawl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
the best is to use something like www.romanji.org, and read the japanese in english characters. but if you can't do that, you'll have to suffice for Google translate and Google Translator, and the likes

Garuda

Smash Ace
Man... I didn't realize that we'd be getting so much information so soon instead of just waiting for nothing until the 24th. Sonic's in, I don't fear the roster... but I like good surprises. But, roster or not, I will not be satisfied until I buy and play this game... but I'll be watching anyway; my man Ganondorf isn't here yet.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
kei is a member of skypal, "takagi" on the boards right?

i've met him a couple times but i dont know him very well, he was actually one of the first smashers i ever played back at the first smashfest i ever held

haha, man i was horrible back then, i was happy to get a stock or two off a match XD

i'll see if skypal will be in contact with him during release time even though they are all retired

I.T.P

Smash Ace
kei is a member of skypal, "takagi" on the boards right?

i've met him a couple times but i dont know him very well, he was actually one of the first smashers i ever played back at the first smashfest i ever held

haha, man i was horrible back then, i was happy to get a stock or two off a match XD

i'll see if skypal will be in contact with him during release time even though they are all retired
Yeah, that would be him. Takagi is his last name. He's a pretty nice guy. he's only lived in japan for 2 years. but he's one of the best players i've played, or at least one of the hardest for me.

He also creamed me at Panel de pon and Puyo puyo, but that's beside the point XD

We won't be getting SSBX full info until the 23rd, so don't pee your pants guys.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Man... I didn't realize that we'd be getting so much information so soon instead of just waiting for nothing until the 24th. Sonic's in, I don't fear the roster... but I like good surprises. But, roster or not, I will not be satisfied until I buy and play this game... but I'll be watching anyway; my man Ganondorf isn't here yet.
Actually, nothing in this thread really suggests that we'll get anything way before the Japanese release.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I hope IKKI comes through and gets it like a week earlier, but any news is good news. As always, amazing work King Koopa...er...Gimpyfish :D

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Ikki is getting the game a day early, that's all.

Like i said, I'll be playing it myself around your 7:00 AM at 1/23. so expect impressions not too long after.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, that would be him. Takagi is his last name. He's a pretty nice guy. he's only lived in japan for 2 years. but he's one of the best players i've played, or at least one of the hardest for me.

He also creamed me at Panel de pon and Puyo puyo, but that's beside the point XD

We won't be getting SSBX full info until the 23rd, so don't pee your pants guys.
Oh man, Panel de Pon and Puyo Puyo. I've seen some ridiculousness in those games.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
nice find :D

and lol, your "Banned (62 points)" thing is freaking out the people at gamefaqs XD

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Hey Gimpyfish, I understood what you meant about this thread now because a big news thing. I took it differently, mostly after your jest of telling all the translators to come to this thread. So sorry about that before.

I don't know about that being the smashboards of japan. I think I.T.P. was right about it being just like a big Myspace/Facebook. A couple of took a look and it's mostly as ITP describes. It's more like the Japanese Smash Myspace Group

I think I'm/we're not finding it though; the large forum, that is. The Japanese Smashboards. It has to exist. I found the sumabura-x.com forum. It's great and we got great Jump Festa info. Just know we were checking out their post for CM (Commercial Message). As they found out the website for the 3rd trailer so did we. What makes me think that we aren't hitting is that they had only 80 posts concerning today's commercials. 80 posts is a lot sure, but Nintendo's server took a MASSIVE hit. I don't think us as 2:30AM and that forum alone knew it. Just us two couldn't possibly make Nintendo's servers take a dive. There has to be somewhere else. There has to be a bigger community.

Aeris is getting more and more committed to interacting with the members on the Japanese forums. But I think if we want to create that link, that liaison, between the two nations, we need to work a bit harder. I don't think we need SamuraiPanda for the simple translation jobs. I'm hoping SamuraiPanda could do it, be that liaison. Translating is not the same as communicating. Maybe we can even open up a Japanese section of smashboards. Of course, I'm not one to demand such things but just throwing it out there.

I see big possibilities by bridging to the two communities. I realized something when I read on the sumabura-x forums. They were complaining how the Christmas update was lame. They were even saying how the December 24th update had a snow background and had been expecting something great for Christmas update. What I noticed is, they're just like us. They're just as meticulous and analytical as we are with these updates. I'm not thinking about spoilers. I'm thinking about after that, after Brawl comes out. Cut the language barrier. The whole community of internation smasher together learning new techniques and playstyles, sharing videos. It'd be a nice thing to have.

Maybe it's just me with delusions of grandeur but surely we can all benefit from it. I think it's a good point to discuss. If I were a BRoomer it'd be something I'd definitely be pushing to be pioneered. Well, reply here or PM me if you want and I'd like to know SamuraiPanda input on this as well as some other board memebers.

Okay, I've gone on long enough.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Problem is, obviously, language. Japanese aren't known for their awesome English skills, and having every single post back and forth translated by a few translators or by a non-accurate machine seems a little awkward.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Problem is, obviously, language. Japanese aren't known for their awesome English skills, and having every single post back and forth translated by a few translators or by a non-accurate machine seems a little awkward.
We're doing that now. Aeris is trying. He knows some Japanese but not really fluent. There's no one fluent in japanese and english? all you need is one person (to start). I'm not being coy, btw.

Cless

Smash Champion
Eh, most Japanese people our age probably have decent English. They take English in high school. I don't really think what you're trying to do is that far fetched ShortFuse. We just have to find willing parties.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
If there are enough Japanese that can speak decent English (I guess that happens mroe than vice versa), then it's pretty plausible. I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect to bridge over stuff so easily. Any information will have to get through slowly ;)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I have a User in smash.or.tp, but I forgot my password. Kokichi has a user there as well(when we were Messeging before Karisuma 9th, to which we went together, I told him about smash.or.tp, and he registered).
I forgot my password, as well as my recovery question answer, as well :( I just sent an email to the admins asking if they can recover it for me. On top of forgetting what the password / question / answer was, I can't remember if I wrote it in Japanese or English, lol.

オレはバカだな。

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Eh, most Japanese people our age probably have decent English. They take English in high school. I don't really think what you're trying to do is that far fetched ShortFuse. We just have to find willing parties.
No, their English is generally far from decent. Yes, they take English starting in junior high, and maybe even in the later years of elementary school (I taught English to a few elementary school classes). However, the Japanese system of schooling is so drastically different than the American one such that it makes hard for them to learn a language (it's all about memorization, not learning). You will find that they can get the general gist of stuff when written down, but cannot speak English with much fluency, nor can they really understand it when spoken. Most translation jobs, if any, will probably result from people who have been speaking English and Japanese all their life (e.g. Kei) or people who study it at a university (e.g. SamuraiPanda and myself).

Hey Gimpyfish, I understood what you meant about this thread now because a big news thing. I took it differently, mostly after your jest of telling all the translators to come to this thread. So sorry about that before.

I don't know about that being the smashboards of japan. I think I.T.P. was right about it being just like a big Myspace/Facebook. A couple of took a look and it's mostly as ITP describes. It's more like the Japanese Smash Myspace Group

I think I'm/we're not finding it though; the large forum, that is. The Japanese Smashboards. It has to exist. I found the sumabura-x.com forum. It's great and we got great Jump Festa info. Just know we were checking out their post for CM (Commercial Message). As they found out the website for the 3rd trailer so did we. What makes me think that we aren't hitting is that they had only 80 posts concerning today's commercials. 80 posts is a lot sure, but Nintendo's server took a MASSIVE hit. I don't think us as 2:30AM and that forum alone knew it. Just us two couldn't possibly make Nintendo's servers take a dive. There has to be somewhere else. There has to be a bigger community.

Aeris is getting more and more committed to interacting with the members on the Japanese forums. But I think if we want to create that link, that liaison, between the two nations, we need to work a bit harder. I don't think we need SamuraiPanda for the simple translation jobs. I'm hoping SamuraiPanda could do it, be that liaison. Translating is not the same as communicating. Maybe we can even open up a Japanese section of smashboards. Of course, I'm not one to demand such things but just throwing it out there.

I see big possibilities by bridging to the two communities. I realized something when I read on the sumabura-x forums. They were complaining how the Christmas update was lame. They were even saying how the December 24th update had a snow background and had been expecting something great for Christmas update. What I noticed is, they're just like us. They're just as meticulous and analytical as we are with these updates. I'm not thinking about spoilers. I'm thinking about after that, after Brawl comes out. Cut the language barrier. The whole community of internation smasher together learning new techniques and playstyles, sharing videos. It'd be a nice thing to have.

Maybe it's just me with delusions of grandeur but surely we can all benefit from it. I think it's a good point to discuss. If I were a BRoomer it'd be something I'd definitely be pushing to be pioneered. Well, reply here or PM me if you want and I'd like to know SamuraiPanda input on this as well as some other board memebers.

Okay, I've gone on long enough.
Well, let me point out a few things. First off, let me state that for the past half a year I lived in Japan, studying abroad. Right now Bazooka Lucca is still studying abroad, but he's at an international school where they teach in English - I went to an all Japanese college, where the other 9 ryuugakusei (foreign exchange students) and I were the only gaijin (foreigners) for miles. So my Japanese is pretty good, probably better than SamuraiPanda's (no offense, but I've probably practiced it more than ya, especially when you have a Japanese gf who you practice with day and night).

When I got there I was really interested in finding the Smash community. I even brought my American Wii to play Melee with people. Unfortunately, the only time I ever played Melee was either with my host family or at the tournament I went to with I.T.P. He showed me that Smash Facebook equivalent (yes, it's more of a Myspace / Facebook than it is a forum). I knew S-royal from about 4-5 years ago, when I first met him and Captain Jack at TG4 (or 5) and we became friends. The only other time I played Melee in Japan was when I hung out with Captain Jack for a while, S-royal and a guy from north of Tokyo (who apparently came just to play with us that afternoon, heh).

CJ said that he usually goes to the tournaments and wins. When I asked about tournaments in my area (near Tokyo), he said there weren't really any, and the competitive Smash scene was pretty small over there compared to Kansai's (Kyouto / Oosaka). He mentioned a few names, but that's it. Sucked for me, but I never really had much time to play Melee anyways.

The tournament I went to with I.T.P. was a joke, skill-wise. There were about 30 people, but only about 7 of them with any skill. Masashi was there (I beat him in the only match we played :p), Japan's second best Link (next to Aniki), and a few Falco / Fox players that were decent. Other than that, compare it to a standard Norcal Biweekly, and the skill level was way below par. Only their best would stand a chance against our average player.

Now, despite the level being a bit lower than average (and thus I did better than usual, heh), the tournament was probably the most fun I'd been to. At the end we did a huge crew battle with everyone in, all items and all stages turned on, 3 stock each. That was a blast, I wish we did it more here. Also, the entrance fee was only 500en, or about $5. It seemed much more geared towards being fun than being competitive, like our standard tournaments are.

Anyways, that's my perception of their tournament scene - it exists, but it's not very big. There are people interested in the game, but not as many as in America. There are good players, but most of them aren't anywhere near an American level. Sure, you get your few outliers like Bombsoldier and CJ, but there aren't many "unknown" powerful Japanese players. If they're good, chances are that we already know about them. After playing at Jumpfest and with my host family, as well as playing 64 Smash with my soccer team buds, I feel like, although we always here that Smash is popular in Japan, it's much more of a "hey lets play Temple and turn on items!" kind of popular than it is a competitive tournament game one.

So, what's my point of all this? My point is, we probably have already seen the Japanese "SWF". It's a combination of those sites. Unfortunately, I strongly doubt that one big site like SWF exists. I'll text CJ again though and see if there's a site he mainly uses, but I'm guessing that smash.tp one is it.

Also, I had already mentioned the possibility of opening a Japanese section on SWF or extending our hand to the Japanese players, in the Staffer Shack, but no one really seemed to care. Perhaps once online starts I'll be able to get enough interest, but even then, I doubt many Japanese players will come here to post. I just don't feel like it's their style. Maybe we'll get a few dozen if we really campaign, but I feel that the Japanese sites already in existence probably cater better towards the Japanese. I mean, look at that one site, it has cute little rectangular sprites for all the characters. That's totally nihonppoi (Japanesey), we would have something completely different.

Though, if I get time, I'll try to go on their forums and nose around a bit. UCLA starts back up on Monday and I'm taking a full class load, so I don't know how much time I really have to translate for you guys (which is why I usually let SamuraiPanda do all the translating and come in every now and then). I'm already friends with a few of the yuumeina (famous) Japanese smashers, and after going to the tournament, I made friends with a few of the casual players. I'll talk to them and see what they're doing for Brawl, then pass that info on here. I know CJ is planning on getting really good at it, so that's good.

But yeah, if you want to keep browsing the internet for Japanese Smash sites, go for it, I'd love to check them out. Once the game is released and they're posting info in Japanese I'll definitely translate that, but hopefully we'll get a few importers on our side so I don't have to go through the hassle :p

And finally, a few pics:

Left to Right: Takuto (s-royal), guy from northern Japan, me, CJ

Important people: thumbs up black leather jacket dude - S-royal
Guy crouching in the middle with the water bottle - Masashi
Guy behind him to the right with the black hat - really good Link player
Girl in the middle (shirt has pink on it) - really powerful Doc player, she was pulling off Bob$ tricks, but I beat her
Guy in the white on her same row to her left - really good Fox player, eliminated Masashi in the tournament
Guy to his left in black - some kid who eliminated me -_- I think he used Fox.
Overly-excited 6'4" white guy in the back - yours truly (yes, the guy to my right is standing on a chair, and no I am not)
Guy in black three dudes to my left - a new friend who helped me get my bus ticket back to Toukyou

Piks

Smash Journeyman
you deliverd.

its a good thing im bi-lingual, too bad i speak spanish lol

but i did random clicking on one site posted from this other forum, and i actually think i saw knuckles on one, but it was off the google translator, also had ness, whis is a plus for me, i think one made out to be ridley not sure though, but yeah 20 or so days so i'll jsut wait

but you guys recorded this earliers today right? do you think panda will DECIPHER these by this weekend?

and bowser jr. should definetly have his roar from MSC lol which is bascially like a tiny mushroom times 2 or something lol

Can you try to go back there and take some screenshots, if it's ok?

Cless

Smash Champion
No, their English is generally far from decent. Yes, they take English starting in junior high, and maybe even in the later years of elementary school (I taught English to a few elementary school classes). However, the Japanese system of schooling is so drastically different than the American one such that it makes hard for them to learn a language (it's all about memorization, not learning). You will find that they can get the general gist of stuff when written down, but cannot speak English with much fluency, nor can they really understand it when spoken. Most translation jobs, if any, will probably result from people who have been speaking English and Japanese all their life (e.g. Kei) or people who study it at a university (e.g. SamuraiPanda and myself).
Well, shows how much I know.

Oh. and spelling out each character in romanji for the win. It's been a while since I've seen that. Always good to see. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom