• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Janon social thread : Lair of the Floating Back Slapping Missile Reflecting King of Evil

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
It's two frames if you delay two frames, yeah. I suspect that you can get a larger window with a couple extra frames of delay after the short hop, but I don't think it's every bigger than 2 or 3. Either way, I'm going to try to practice it to make it consistent, but will probably just give up and use full hope fair or something, lol

Also, I feel like someone said a while ago that you could sh fair waveland, but I tried it in debug mode and couldn't do it (even frame perfect). Am I missing something, or is it just not doable? FH fair/dair is pretty easy to waveland either way.

Further testing, fair apparently auto cancels if you use it on the first two frames of your short hop. I'm kind of excited about that one...

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
No car :/ I'd invite you here, but I've got company for the weekend.

So fair and dair are auto cancelable on short hop (no fastfall)... I don't know if that was common knowledge, but it's new to me! I'm getting excited, gotta level up my ganon so I can actually do okay in tourney with him

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'm actually recovering from/maybe still a bit sick, so i'm just staying in (was going to try to go to the unt thing, but not anymore...).

so, just sh-fair and no ff, you autocancel? that's pretty interesting... not sure if that'll be better than a ff-lcancel on shield or anything, but that's something to test.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, short hop, fair on the first two frames, and when you land it autocancels (which is 5 frames of lag like an empty jump, right?)

On shield, who knows, as I don't 100% understand autocancels and how they interact with hit lag... but to cover tech options, it could be really useful to cover in place/one direction and be able to run the opposite way as quickly as possible if it whiffs. it's also just swag to sh fair/dair over and over again.

sh dair also reaches slightly above battlefield's platforms, so you could spam sh autocanceled dairs under the platform, maybe confuse your opponent or something (lmao)

Bazkip

Smash Master
Ugh losing to yourself is such a pain, I need to get a hold on my emotions.

On the plus side, I got 9 sword taunt kills today. Two I tournament in dubs.

Though the two best ones were in friendlies against this Dedede, where he was safe from the taunt (airdodging, invincible on ledge) but I hit a Waddle Dee with it and the hitlag resulted in the hitboxes still being active when he was able to be hit again, lmao.
YOUR MINIONS WORK FOR ME NOW, MWAHAHAHA

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I streamed alot vs. my friends Flaco so I'll post it up sooner or later.

How's life guys? You all hyped for Apex?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah whatever lol

It's annoying cause all card point to making money so if Nintendos involved, a new Smash game is here, and Melee is the star, you end up with a very malnourished, neglected child called PM

Gushers™

Smash Rookie
Heya, my tag is Gushers (Obviously) I was a snake main as of 3 minutes ago but I'm transitioning to ganon (Mostly because He's more fun and, as a fairly new player, it would seem I would learn much more playing a more fundamental heavy character)

Gushers™

Smash Rookie
I've actually played ganon before and placed 13th with him in my local tournament, but since then my results haven't been great. Guess that's a good sign to pick him up again.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah, short hop, fair on the first two frames, and when you land it autocancels (which is 5 frames of lag like an empty jump, right?)

On shield, who knows, as I don't 100% understand autocancels and how they interact with hit lag... but to cover tech options, it could be really useful to cover in place/one direction and be able to run the opposite way as quickly as possible if it whiffs. it's also just swag to sh fair/dair over and over again.

sh dair also reaches slightly above battlefield's platforms, so you could spam sh autocanceled dairs under the platform, maybe confuse your opponent or something (lmao)
ACs works the same on shield as any other move : it's all about dat frame advantage. I don't think SHAC Fair/Dair have any frame adv at all because the hitbox comes out a long time before you touch the ground, so you have a better frame advantage by SHFFLing them (no numbers here, just plain in game feelings).

The one aerials you want to autocancel are Bair Uair and especially Nair (remember the Arty Vortex™ ? lmao). Nair is a perfect example of what a good autocancel should be : you can land right after the second hitbox comes out and you get your 5 frames of neutral lag.
Fair and Nair DAIR are not good autocancels.
They can be used to bait your opponents (like they approach expecting a lag and LOLNOPEIHAVEAJABJUSTFORYOUHERE), but that's about it.

Also yeah, the chin hitbox on Dair is priceless, but that talk feels like déjà vu...

-Autocancels :
It's already been covered a bit with the Nair cancel talk but you must not forget that all of Ganon's aerials autocancel from a short hop. Autocanceling means 0 lag, like an empty short hop.
Aerials that can be SHFF autocanceled (SHFFAC ?) : Nair Bair Uair
Aerials that can't be fast fallen : Fair Dair
Imo the AC timings are as important to learn as L canceling.

-The chin Meteor :
Ganon's Dair hits everyone from everywhere. His face has a hitbox, it can hit tall opponents through platforms from above and on top of that the hitstun is massive. Dair is love, Dair is life.

That's it from the top of my head, maybe I'll find some more later.
8 months ago. Looks like I didn't find more lmao.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Nair is a perfect example of what a good autocancel should be : you can land right after the second hitbox comes out and you get your 5 frames of neutral lag.
Fair and Nair are not good autocancels.
Make up your mind
(I know you meant dair the second time, lol)

Bazkip

Smash Master
@ RelaxAlax RelaxAlax @ Coastward Coastward yo we've got Polybash in Montreal the week after McSmashter and then LAN ETS the next weekend, you guys should just come stay in Montreal for a week.
We can have sleepovers where do each other's nails and stay up all night talking about Ganon
lel

Coastward

Smash Lord
@ RelaxAlax RelaxAlax @ Coastward Coastward yo we've got Polybash in Montreal the week after McSmashter and then LAN ETS the next weekend, you guys should just come stay in Montreal for a week.
We can have sleepovers where do each other's nails and stay up all night talking about Ganon
lel
LOL, i wish i could. schools a *****.

im coming for lan ets since i think emg is streaming it.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah dude, I have school too. Lifes a bummer when you have to do school and then when you're done school you have to make money for school.

Though I know I'd be down for Montreal, so would the bae hehe so maybe one day

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Is it helix king lord genome?

If not, I care not.

OK, if it's an actually good melee-ish ganon, I want that, too.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Ganon or pm? Or smash as a whole?
Smash as a whole, I dunno...

I think smash 4 and Nintendo in general have dampened my enthusiasm.

Edit: Like, it feels like we're missed the train on anyone taking PM seriously anymore, VGBootcamp stopping coverage for it and such... and when I was playing smash 4 recently, I noticed myself complaining about nearly everything in the game, stages, balancing, floaty-ness, landing lag, etc etc... And again with the stages, finding myself wanting to turn off all bar like 4 of the stages...

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Quit it, game's dumb and you don't gain anything from it but addiction

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Whoa whoa whao

Just because of the situation, don't quit. I was the same about Smash 4 as it dampened my expectations of it, but thats no reason to quit smash as a whole. Maybe take a hiatus? I did that for a month or so and now I'm feeling fresh again.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
If you're not enjoying the game as much, try other characters some or take a break like Relax suggested. I played Ganon for years and years, but Bowser feels better to me in this game.

VGBootCamp is far from the only decent PM stream, just look at AZ Project M and Tourney Locator among others for great content.

PM isn't dead, or dying, and the game will only grow and improve because there is actual developer support instead of random unannounced patches for no obvious reasons. It is already far more balanced than any of the other smash games, and imo at least as fun to play as any other smash games.

If the buzzphrases 'jank', 'gimmicks', and all that go away, more melee players could find that PM is actually not that different, learn matchups, be succesful, and more people will try it and love it, helping the community to grow even more.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Smash as a whole, I dunno...

I think smash 4 and Nintendo in general have dampened my enthusiasm.

Edit: Like, it feels like we're missed the train on anyone taking PM seriously anymore, VGBootcamp stopping coverage for it and such... and when I was playing smash 4 recently, I noticed myself complaining about nearly everything in the game, stages, balancing, floaty-ness, landing lag, etc etc... And again with the stages, finding myself wanting to turn off all bar like 4 of the stages...
If Smash 4 dampens your enthusiasm, don't play the game. Then you can be enthused playing PM. Hopefully the GAME itself is fun for you. If that's the case, you don't really need streams to be enthused.

Last edited:

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Whoa whoa whao

Just because of the situation, don't quit. I was the same about Smash 4 as it dampened my expectations of it, but thats no reason to quit smash as a whole. Maybe take a hiatus? I did that for a month or so and now I'm feeling fresh again.
After sleeping on it, I think you're probably right, maybe a hiatus is what I need.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
LOL REALLY

Cant we tell seena?

Wait lets just keep it it'll be fun doing dittos ... (unless i pull the Olimar **** on ya)

Last edited:
Top Bottom