• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 17, 2015] Toasted Ravs 6 (St. Louis, Missouri) FT. Sethlon, Strong Bad, Darkatma and more!

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Stream link: www.twitch.tv/NextLevelStreaming

At long last. I don't even remember when TR5 happened. My inexcusable hiatus has all been a blur. I hope you guys still love me and/or will come back a sixth time.

The ruleset is going to be the same. I hope you remember it. It's pretty standard i think. I'll post it later anyway.
The schedule will be similar to what Atma did last time, something like:

10AM - Registration
11:30AM - 1st wave of PM and Melee Pools start
1:30PM - 2nd wave of PM and Melee Pools start (be ready for 2nd wave 30 minutes early)
3:00PM - Project M teams bracket (As soon as pools end)
3:30PM - Melee teams bracket (As soon as pools end)
5-6PM - Dinner Break. Time may vary
6PM - Project M Bracket
6:30PM - Melee Bracket
11PM - Clean up/Finals

*be advised, all times are always subject to change. especially if you are playing friendlies instead of tourney matches.

Fees:
Venue Fee = $5
Stream Fee = $1
Melee Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
Melee Singles = $10
PM Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
PM Singles = $10

Payouts:

Melee:
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
5th: 5%

Project M:
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
A couple things to highlight:

• Venue fee is waived for bringing a full setup.
    • TV's will be labeled by Game (PM or Melee), then by number. Most likely, your setup will be used for your preferred game.
    • Concerning the streaming fee: We need to have a person paid to sit there to manage the streaming set up. It will good quality, so it will be worth your money.
Ruleset for Melee Singles & Doubles:

Double Elimination Style

• All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
    • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
    • Items OFF
    • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
    • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
    • Wobbling is legal.
    • Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber are NOT banned.
    • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
    • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
    • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
    • Choosing a character: In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.
Stage strike: from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:

• RPS for first stage ban.
    • First player strikes one stage.
    • Second player strikes the next two stages.
    • First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.
Stagelist for Singles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

Stagelist for Doubles:
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

After each match:

• Winner announces stage ban (no bans in BO5's)
    • Loser chooses counterpick stage
    • Winner chooses their character
    • Loser chooses their character
Project M Rules:

Double Elimination Style

• All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
      • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
      • Items OFF
      • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
      • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
      • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
      • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
      • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
      • Choosing a character: In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.
Stage strike: from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:

• RPS for first stage strike.
      • First player strikes one stage.
      • Second player strikes the next two stages.
      • First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.
Stagelist for Singles/Doubles:

Starters:

• Green Hill Zone
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Dreamland
Counterpicks:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Final Destination
  • Norfair
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Distant Planet
Each player gets two stage bans after the first game.
Advanced Slob Picking:
Winners Bans stages
Loser picks stage
Winner picks character
Loser picks character

General Gameplay Rules:

• BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
    • Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
    • Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
    • DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up after their match is called before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but please revert it to normal melee for tournament matches.
General Info and Venue Rules:
The office space you are looking for specifically is the "Tupperware" one. It's hard to miss, and very pink. Please don't walk into the Russian/Israeli Combat studio by mistake. They are there anymore, so you won't risk your life this time.

Please park in the gravel lot on the south side (Northrup Ave side) of the building.

Please bring your own food if you plan on eating in the venue. Don't eat the food or ice cream in the fridge. But you may buy soda or the Keurig coffees that are available in the kitchen. 50 cents for soda, $1 per coffee. Honor system.

Please clean your own mess, and take initiative to unclog the toilet should you choose to clog it.

Please respect this space and the commercial lot that it is on. Most of the other businesses that work within the lot don't come in on weekends, but avoid doing illegal activities in plain view or in closets, bathrooms, etc... The place is owned by a landlord who frequents the location, so let's avoid trouble so we can continue using this space.

Additional recording set ups are encouraged!

Please RSVP!! And bring set ups and CRT TV's! Venue fee is waived if you bring a full setup. And bring friends! Plenty of space here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osiris89

Smash Rookie
I'm looking to get into the competitive Melee scene. I've always had a lot of love for the game but I've never tried playing at a tourney. I live about 15 min from this place so I might go if I can the day off from work. I'm kinda new to all this, so, hello everyone!

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I'm looking to get into the competitive Melee scene. I've always had a lot of love for the game but I've never tried playing at a tourney. I live about 15 min from this place so I might go if I can the day off from work. I'm kinda new to all this, so, hello everyone!
Welcome! We're all very welcoming. I'm a long time STL Area Smash player, so, if you wanna play some friendlies and get acclimated to the tourney scene, find me the day of the tournament! My name's Luke.

Osiris89

Smash Rookie
Welcome! We're all very welcoming. I'm a long time STL Area Smash player, so, if you wanna play some friendlies and get acclimated to the tourney scene, find me the day of the tournament! My name's Luke.

Thanks Luke. I'm definitely excited to meet some local smashers. I'll probably be the worst player there lol but it's all good. I have to go to V-stock to buy a controller soon. If all goes well maybe I'll invest in a whole setup.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I'll throw this out there: why $10/player for teams?
Payouts for teams are too low otherwise. Historically, we've only had between 9 & 13 teams for doubles. @$10/team, 3rd place would receive fewer dollars than what they paid, and 1st/2nd place payouts were still pretty weak. I think this is either the 2nd or 3rd time we've held the doubles entry this high. If it deters interest too much I may switch it back to $10/team next tourney as a lot of our attendees tend to be semi-casual players.

Roux

Smash Journeyman

CaptainEllipsis

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaptainEllipsis
3DS FC
2165-6512-4890
Missed TR5, so I'm gonna go ahead and embarrass myself here haha. I have a few friends I might try and get interested as well.

aHarmlessCup

Smash Rookie
Looking forward for my first TRavs experience! I'm bringing a setup and helping set up the day before, but lemme know if we need more people for cleanup duty too :-)

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
I'd like to sign up for Melee singles if there is any more room.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the Google doc.

Edit 2: It appears somebody edited themselves in and pushed me down to spot 116. -_-

Last edited:

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Pre-registration is now closed, and capped off at 115!! But please PM myself or Hylian if you would like to be put on the waiting list. We will notify you if you get in. Also, PM us if you find out you can't make it so we can make sure other people can go. Thanks guys.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you didn't sign up you can show up later after some people have left to play friendlies. No friendlies will be going on until the brackets are nearing end however.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've updated the schedule for the event. Please look over it to make sure you aren't late for anything!

Roux

Smash Journeyman

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Melee Singles results here:
Toasted Ravs 6 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
AnDaLe