• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
As far as I know, there aren't any videos. The use is tricking your opponent into getting a perfect hit Rocksmash or in Ivy's case Bulletseed. if you wavebounce the move, you make a chance in the direction your going let's say I jump slight right, now I wavebounce bullet seed left, you see a quick animation with the bs being performed in the left direction. I'm sorry if this isn't superclear, I find it hard to explain :)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Yeah i learned what wavebounces were and their applications, i just don't know how to wavebounce a neutral B without B-sticking.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
How do you wavebounce a neutral b with bstick?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Yeah if you're moving right you would put it at a slight angle to the back and up. Wavebounced flamethrower is just so good i want to learn how to do it but i dont want to B stick. If you b stick you van wavebounce Ivy's leaves and move back kinda like Lucas' PK Fire.

since

Smash Journeyman
when i play as ivy i just attempt to space everything so i dont get punished because ivy is kinda slow at gettin away because razor leaf doesnt have good hitstun so i find it better to play it safe and make them rush me and use bs when i get them off the stage as a egdeguard if i get hit off stage i find it better to use fair to get them off the ledge or razor leaf if there on the platform then use vine whip to make it back on

any tips that could increase my ivy game?

Vermy

Smash Champion
yeah so I've been finding Ivysaur is pretty good vs Diddy if you distract him with razor leaf while you grab a banana. Glide toss fsmash is too good. Also, nair ***** his upB.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I always skip Ivy against Diddy, she can't compete with her mobility against his and his bananas, proper Diddy will outcamp you with little difficulty.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Enlighten us please reflex :) I thought it was coz T-block named his a female, then it became a hype.
I suppose your Ivysaur is whatever you want it to be, in the end.

Regardless, the Japanese voice for Ivysaur is just so feminine, and I prefer it to the ugly English voice. Plus, no one ever questions the gender of Squirtle or Charizard, and I want a female somewhere on my squad.

T-block

B2B TST
Hey remember when Retro infracted people for talking about Ivysaur's gender? lol

Um... yeah let's keep this to Tactical discussion please? Gender discussion can go in the social thread.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hmm, I was testing Platform Cancelling today and I wondered if anyone else think this stuff is great and should be used more often. At smashville I can succesfully platform cancel with Ivysaur several times in a row. the reason why I'm bringing this up is because a lot more Dutch players are picking this up because our #1 ranked player: Mr.r is very known for using platform cancelling with his marth and pull off amazing combo's because of it. This video is Mr.r playing, in the second and tirth minute, there's examples of what Platform cancelling can lead to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXwtH0C4A

So, should we bother adding this to our Ivy playstyle?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
A lot of Marths incorporate platform canceling now. mikeHAZE does it now, and a local Marth named Nike uses it a lot. Hell, even Espy uses it with Sonic.

I've only tried it with Charizard at this point--platform canceled fsmash/runoff dair is AWESOME.

In my mind, any character should incorporate this into their gameplay. Added mobility, regardless of how often you use it or not, is always a good thing.

T-block

B2B TST
It's definitely something I've been meaning to learn, especially with how much we already love Smashville.

All pokemon can gain something from it imo, so yes, add it to your Ivy playstyle for sure.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone know the easiest way to do this? At this point in time, I'm aware of performing a platform cancel by doing one of these as you reach the moving platform:
1. hold down and shield. (pretty easy with snake)
2. press down.
3. d-air. (doesn't seem to work with some characters, like squirtle.)

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I've been able to succesfully do it with Ivy and Charizard's Down air, I'm unable to do with with Squirtle. The trick is to do it just before you go trough the platform. Don't use it in actual battles if you don't master it, coz you will be punished for the massive afterlag :(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
A lot of Marths incorporate platform canceling now. mikeHAZE does it now, and a local Marth named Nike uses it a lot. Hell, even Espy uses it with Sonic.
Nike and I used this before it got cool. ;-;

But yeah, it's a neat little tech, and the mobility it gives your character if you successfully buffer a dash out of the platform cancel confuses the heck out of people.

Another fun thing about it is that once your opponent is aware of the fact that you have implemented some platform canceling into your game, it serves as another mix up as to whether or not you WANT to platform cancel, shark, or pass through normally. As Zigsta said, it's always good to implement universal techs such as this. They may not be applicable too often, but when they are, they provide for more coverage against your opponent.

Oh, and just because I love this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpemztQUKA#t=02m45s

T-block

B2B TST
I'm pretty sure you can platform cancel by holding Down and performing any aerial while passing through the platform. If you're not consistent with it, being able to use any aerial is nice because you can use the one with the least lag if you mess up.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Mhmm I'll keep that in mind.

So what do you guys think about Ivysaurs walling on PS1? Especially around the windmill, it's pretty amazing. You can pass through the windmill by holding down, btw.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
When you are passing through a moving platform, just tap down.
OR, you can cstick dair

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are there any good ways to land upsmash kills with Ivysaur? Any good frame-traps or semi-combos to help land that early kill? I know the hitbox just barely passes through platforms like the ones on battlefield, but its a bit difficult to ever land it anyway. Any tips for killing in general, I always have to go for upthrow/dash attack kills after some massive camping.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you land the end of the Dash Attack on characters with bad horizontal aerial mobility (Falco, especially), they will often airdodge into you immediately afterward. That's a good opportunity. Similar things exist with D-Throw if you're somewhat close to the edge.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea generally at late enough percents to get the upsmash from a bair or leaf setup I'd rather just Fsmash.

I meant exclusively lower percents 30-60% depending on the character where ONLY upsmash would kill.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Are there any good ways to land upsmash kills with Ivysaur? Any good frame-traps or semi-combos to help land that early kill? I know the hitbox just barely passes through platforms like the ones on battlefield, but its a bit difficult to ever land it anyway. Any tips for killing in general, I always have to go for upthrow/dash attack kills after some massive camping.
No lie: typh told me to upsmash the opposite direction I think I should upsmash.

What's scary is it actually works.

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
No lie: typh told me to upsmash the opposite direction I think I should upsmash.

What's scary is it actually works.
Wait, do you mean turn around? Is there a little range on the back end of the hitbox? I'll try it out later, sounds cool.

Top Bottom