• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Wait, do you mean turn around? Is there a little range on the back end of the hitbox? I'll try it out later, sounds cool.
Nah, it's a lot simpler than that, haha.

If you think you should dash right and upsmash, then dash left and upsmash.

Basically, you're just trying to be as unpredictable as you can with it. Odds are if you think there's an opening and your opponent has even half of a clue as to the power of Ivysaur's upsmash, they'll spot that opening, too. But if you aim for the place they least expect it, you'll hit with it.

It sounds simple, but you'd be surprised at the results. I know I've been.

T-block

B2B TST
Not really sure what you mean, Reflex. sh b-air on-stage while he's on the ledge? He'd probably just wait for the b-air to end and then get back on if he wanted to be on the stage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Not really sure what you mean, Reflex. sh b-air on-stage while he's on the ledge? He'd probably just wait for the b-air to end and then get back on if he wanted to be on the stage.
Short-hop B-Air on-stage while he's on the ledge, yes. His invincibility would run out by then if he decides not to go low, and if he does go low, another move could try to hit him. Either way, the important thing is that we can seem to force ledge grabs this way...if they don't want to take 4%. : |

does bair beat tornado?
At the correct angle, yes. It has to come down on the center of the move.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
So what we have to do with ivy is, space with bair when he's nadoing and hoping he doesn't actually get hit by the bair so he doesn't find out it only takes 4%.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Imagine if you could retreat those Bairs with the aerial mobility of, say, Yoshi or something.

That'd be ****

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There was this thing I was thinking about while I was on vacation.

If you do Vine Whip and land on a surface before the animation is finished, you don't suffer any landing lag. This is common knowledge. However, there are two things I've been wondering as a result--

When you cancel Vine Whip, do you literally have zero landing lag? If I'm not mistaken, characters normally incur a few frames of "I can't do anything" when they land without doing any attack (which is why airdodging into the ground isn't super-safe).

When knockback/hitstun is ending, can you buffer a B move? Obviously, this is only important for weak attacks, since we can't Up-B the ledge like Link can Z-Air, and momentum canceling with aerials is much more useful than any of Ivysaur's B moves after being knocked away.

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then, when Dedede is doing his D-Throw chaingrab, can we buffer Vine Whip, land on the ground, and immediately do whatever? That would allow us to play a mix-up game, rather than get chaingrabbed around.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hmm, I never tried it. I guess I always assumed Ivyaur suffered lag, seeing as every top PT I've ever played has never done anything immediately afterwards.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hmm, I never tried it. I guess I always assumed Ivysaur suffered lag, seeing as every top PT I've ever played has never done anything immediately afterwards.
I mean, lag after a canceled Vine Whip, mind you. I know I've never done it because Vine Whip never occurred to me as a viable option in the situation, probably due to appearing to already be on the ground, but with the Dedede chaingrab, the game may as well consider you to be in the air during the hitstun, because when it finishes, the person thrown does the "I'm landing from the air" animation, which, in some cases, gives Dedede just enough time to grab them again.

Also, I believe the chaingrab timing against Ivysaur is fairly strict (by Dedede chaingrab standards). At the very least, Dedede can't guarantee a chaingrab on Ivysaur on Yoshi's Island due to the slant pushing you just far enough to start a Bullet Seed before he can regrab you.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Always when landing you'll at least suffer the lowfall lag (2frames) but if you fell for a longer distance it will be longfall (4frames), which is what makes airdodges unsafe, but sh airdodge for, for example, falco so good.

T-block

B2B TST
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the no-lag Vine Whip works, but I don't see how this would be possible.

If Bullet Seed, which has super fast invincibility, can't get you out, how are you going to Vine Whip can get the lag cancelled in time?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Specials can't even be used that quickly.

Ever noticed that bucket breaking happens with an aerial? That's because specials break hitstun later than aerials/airdodges. That's also why Marth can't combo break EVERYTHING with upb.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the no-lag Vine Whip works, but I don't see how this would be possible.

If Bullet Seed, which has super fast invincibility, can't get you out, how are you going to Vine Whip can get the lag cancelled in time?
For some reason, I convinced myself that having Vine Whip buffered would cancel landing lag, and that buffering Bullet Seed wouldn't let the invincibility come out. I'm silly.

That being said, I'm going to test shield drop animations and see if we should aim Bullet Seed on a particular side of each opponent (like, how DK can't drop his shield when we're on either side using Bullet Seed because he throws his arms out). Perhaps we're missing something.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Against what though? I never have anyone suffer 20+ frames of lag close enough to hit with that. I do think power shielding then hyphen smashing is pretty cool though.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I like the thought of mind here....I did not know that we could explore such options with the vinewhip. I have to say though the sound of getting out of D3's chaingrab was to sweet to actually believe.

I also have to say that the b-air options luis was talkin about with Ivy near the edge does do a good job until the opponent's notice the damage they are taking......it's a funny mindgame until then :|

thwolf94

Smash Rookie
The other day I did some type of glide with ivysaur. He jumped and did a helicopter spin and then glided across the map. Do any of you know how to do this?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The other day I did some type of glide with ivysaur. He jumped and did a helicopter spin and then glided across the map. Do any of you know how to do this?
Yeah--Do a Back-Air and then get hit or do a glide toss.

Works for me every time.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
this sounds hilarious can we make this a reality

Top Bottom