• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur League Graduates: The Ivysaur Social Thread

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hi new to the Ivy boards, played smash64 and Brawl but new to melee in general. Twigz! :) Nice to meet everyone.

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet
Just messed around with Ivy for a bit. They straight up fed Ivysaur fertilizer with crushed up rare candies in it holy crap.

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet
Anyone know what changes they did to him? No patch notes anywhere that I can find.

Dash attack starts up quicker and ends sooner.
dash grab is faster and less endlag
jab seems better.
utilt is better
dsmash is better. Starts up way sooner.
fair is shorter range but faster.
bair is better, think it's faster but shorter range as well.
seed bomb can be angled left/right.
side b is faster, but so you can't camp people out with it, it'll whiff if you use it again too soon
I heard that they tweaked up-b, but I haven't noticed. Tether seems more reliable though.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
ggs 98% of people who vs Sudai

Seriously though, that is insane. Lol. I think Ivy is pretty well tweaked now, they shouldn't need to change him much after this >.>;

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Some additional changes I've noticed:

Dair: now allows you to perform it without the upwards momentum boost. Simply just continue holding down on the control stick and it'll behave similar to vanilla brawl. I feel it allows for fake outs by using the move's 2 variations. I like.

Nair: drags the opponent in better but loss the knock back it had in 2.5 when you landed early with it =/. Not sure why this was done because now you can't fast fall Nair otherwise the opponent will be right beside/inside you when you land. Kind of a bad position for Ivysaur.

Forward/Backward Throw: FINALLY these moves can kill! Forward throw is even stronger than backwards throw. Very happy about this.

Up B: definitely starts up faster, or at least it feels like it =P.

Down Tilt: hit links together much better. Don't think I've encountered a instant where only the first hit connects, which would happen a lot in 2.5.

That's all for now =).

D

Deleted member

Ivysaur actually feels like a Melee character now. I'm very impressed.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Dng3, you are still at a frame advantage against your opponent when you get the Nair landing hit. It sets up for more stuff as the opponent's percent increases.

Also I'll save you guys some time and say that you won't be helping anyone by saying "X moves is better, Y move is better" -- almost every move she has is better in some small or large way :p

P.S. synthesis can do something kinda nifty...

wza

Smash Rookie
dont really like how you cant tilt the seed bombs really messes with my game.
idk maybe i just need to get used to it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I assume you mean you don't like how you -can- tilt them...?

It only gives you more options. A little precision never hurt anybody.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
O_O TELL US THIS NEW SYNTHSIS SECRET!!

But yeah, Ivy is awesome now! I really felt something was missing in 1.5 but not anymore~

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Shell, I'm going to experiment more with Nair later. I wonder what this synthesis change is you're referring to lol.

About seed bomb, It took me a while to get use to the angling of shots as well. In 2.5, I was use to simply shooting it out and smashing my stick left/right to guide Ivysaur's momentum to space him without having to worry about where the seed would land, because it'd always go straight up. Now with the added control, I have to time my angled shots first before smashing the stick left/right to move accordingly. But overall, I like the new seed bomb.

Also, Ivy's entrance now has sounds effects! Here's hoping the next version adds a 3rd victory animation for him ;).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Neutral-B's already been talked about--

I was watching Armada play Ivy yesterday, (along with JC on another stream) and I noticed some differences with Ivy's neutral-b. On JC's stream he was land cancelling it
Look here at 0:25:17: http://www.twitch.tv/jcaesar/b/428694123
he also mentioned a better hitbox for it and he hits it after land cancelling it a few times.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah, she could DACUS before. Not useful at all, though, as far as I can tell.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The attack is canceled when landing on the ground, like a shorthop Falco laser.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
Wait. When we say synthesis, we're talking about neutral B, right? Which isn't an attack unless Solarbeam is charged up?

Unless I'm insane.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
There is a setup hitbox on the initial golden flash of Synthesis.

EDIT: that rascally ninja, Reflex..

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It didn't make sense for people to heal next to the opponent before, so it was easy to miss.

Shore Top

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur's Synthesis is so amazing. It has incredible out of shield potential as well as combo starter for out of shield. Similar to shine.

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet
Just won a small tournament with 2.6 Ivy. She's so much better, seed bomb changes were very beneficial to her juggle game, and it gives her better stage control. Also, you can keep healing past getting your solarbeam now, dunno if anyone has mentioned that yet.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Heh, looks like Ivy had the very few things I noticed were the Neutral B vertical trayectory, wavelanding after razor leaf.and faster D-smash,

Good thing I'll have a bunch of friendlies to test all the moves this weekend

edit
Well Ivy is faster all around, some proper changes, I'll miss Fair's range but in exchange of speed I imagine it'll be better on the long run, Razor leaf seems a like wonky when you're able to do the animation twice in a SH.

Dash attack (on hit) cancelled to u-mash is easier now that DA is faster, might be useful for untheched knockdowns on crouch cancels.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Fair and dsmash being faster are my two favorite changes. She now has two more options fast enough for close-quarters combat. I am quite happy.

Dash grab having less range keeps throwing me off, though I just need to get used to it.

Top Bottom