• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur League Graduates: The Ivysaur Social Thread

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Now that PM 3.0 is out, we have a changelist. I figured it would be a good idea to get a thread here to discuss Ivysaur's changes, as I can give more detailed changes than "angles lowered slightly."

-F-Tilt endlag increased by 4 frames (IASA 35 -> 39).
-F-Tilt back hitbox and the innermost front hitbox have increased SDI multipliers (0.75x -> 1.05x).
-F-Tilt back final hitbox damage decreased to match earlier weak hits (7 -> 2).
-D-Tilt's 2nd hit now only pops up at the outer 2 hitboxes instead of outer 3 hitboxes.
-N-Air final hit KBG decreased.
-F-Air startup increased by 4 frames (1-10 -> 1-14).
-F-Air hitbox angles significantly decreased (from inner to outer, 85/90/90/95 -> Sakurai angle/70/70/80).
-F-Air damage slightly increased (from inner to outer, 8/8/12/12 -> 9/9/13/13).
-F-Air base knockback increased, knockback growth decreased.
-B-Air startup and endlag increased, made to be similar to v2.5 speeds and angles (from inner to outer, Sakurai angle/50/55/60 -> 38/38/30/30).
-B-Air knockback increased to v2.5 levels, and damage increased (8/7/4/3 -> 8/7/5/5)
-U-Air sweetspot knockback and damage increased (6 -> 7). Size decreased (4.75 -> 3.25), with the sweetspot deeper inside Ivysaur. Sourspot angle decreased (75 -> 70).
-U-Air no longer halts horizontal momentum on fall.
-U-Air meteor now two side-by-side hitboxes - maintains horizontal coverage but has negative disjoint on the bottom.
-D-Air cooldown increased by 3 frames.
-D-Air air/ground hits' damage increased, air/ground hits homogenized (5/6 -> 7/7)
-D-Air sweetspot size decreased (4.50 -> 3.50), with the sweetspot deeper inside Ivysaur
-Outer 2 of 5 grab-boxes on standing & pivot grab + outer 1 grab-box of 3 on dash grab are ground-only to alleviate CG issues.
-F-Throw knockback decreased to match 2.6 B-Throw.
-B-Throw knockback growth slightly increased.
-U-Throw angle increased (90 -> 100)
-U-Throw knockback growth decreased (72 -> 61).
-D-Throw knockback growth increased (50 -> 61)
-Neutral-B startup hit now a relatively weak windbox (still has a landing cancel).
-Neutral-B max charge lowered from 22% to 18%.
-Forward-B checks if existing leaf is out on Frame 1 instead of 15.
-Forward-B hit refresh rate slower (8 frames between hits -> 13), damage increased per hit (2 -> 3), knockback angle increased (45 -> 60).
-Forward-B slowed down to v2.5 timings; physics/floats ported from v2.5, but lasts 5 frames longer.
-Up-B sweetspot hitbox size slightly increased (4.5 -> 5)
-Up-B sweetspot damage increased (16 -> 18).
-Down-B seeds rise move slowly, do not go as high, and fall more slowly.
Feel free to talk about your experiences and see what kind of possibilities the changes give you.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Only played her for one round, but I'm eager to know how the new Razor Leaf could be effective.

Transitioning from 2.6b's Fair combos might be a little weird.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whoops, I forgot to delete this after I saw your initial post in the social thread. We can talk about it there. :x

StoneBone

Smash Cadet
I've only recently been introduced to P:M, so i've missed the greatness that was the earlier Ivysaur versions. with dat 3.01 Ivy doe? I'm having tons of fun! if anyone wants to play feel free to add my FC! hoping to become a regular 'round these parts.

ScaryPixel

Smash Cadet
Pool 18
aMSa
AceAttorneyGod
Zhea
Raziek
Nevergreen
Sora
Meta
KingBlooper
N2K
NakAttack (Das me)
CruzyCakes
I Cava I
I'll try my best to make my fellow cabbage peeps proud. :happysheep:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Took me a couple months to realize it, but I'm playing a cabbage, and I happen to be veggie.

No, I'm not slow :C

Which makes me wonder, technically, would eating a plant type pokémon count as eating meat ?

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
It's like eating a healthier burger. Lettuce, Meat, I dunno about the bud. Maybe a little fruity?

brb, changing my tag to cbbge

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Top 8 material, eh? I can dig it. So long as there's not a Roy in Top 8 I'm in for some $$$$
Oh if there's actual money on the line I should probably be realistic lol

I mean, Lamb is sick, but probably not Top 8 material. Too many great players to really make an accurate prediction lol

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Oh if there's actual money on the line I should probably be realistic lol

I mean, Lamb is sick, but probably not Top 8 material. Too many great players to really make an accurate prediction lol
It's ok, my bet is only that a Roy will NOT make Top 8. I would probably only put money on Reflex anyway if I was betting on Ivysaurs.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
So, about that bet...
Nice. Lol I figured someone not involved would love to call me out on it.

Specifically, the bet was that no Roy main would go all Roy through the entirety of the tournament and make Top 8. I heard from a commentator that Sethlon went GnW against two Metaknights, but that seemed weird to me. Anyways, if it's not true, I lost.

IMO Sethlon lucked out in bracket. He didn't have to play M2K, Armada, Rolex, Zhime, Leffen, Oracle, or Eli, all of whom were on the other side of the bracket, before Top 8. It was still fun to watch him though, since I've been maining Roy since 3.0.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
What's Ivy's best option for being in the neutral and for approaching? I'm unsure about how good SHFFL fair is...

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Specifically, the bet was that no Roy main would go all Roy through the entirety of the tournament and make Top 8. I heard from a commentator that Sethlon went GnW against two Metaknights, but that seemed weird to me. Anyways, if it's not true, I lost.
Dunno who said that...I went straight Roy throughout all of singles. I think the only actual games I didn't play Roy the entire weekend were a couple of Sonic ditto friendlies with GHNeko lol.

IMO Sethlon lucked out in bracket. He didn't have to play M2K, Armada, Rolex, Zhime, Leffen, Oracle, or Eli, all of whom were on the other side of the bracket, before Top 8. It was still fun to watch him though, since I've been maining Roy since 3.0.
I was actually set to play Eli in losers bracket well before top 8 after losing to Fly Amanita, but then ESAM ended up taking Eli out before he could get to me.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Dunno who said that...I went straight Roy throughout all of singles. I think the only actual games I didn't play Roy the entire weekend were a couple of Sonic ditto friendlies with GHNeko lol.
Nice. Here's the video where I heard it.

http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/496193395?t=1h40m

I probably only listened to TKBreezy because he was saving me some money! "The voice of Project M" lol. Congrats, though. I owe some money.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I would just like to say I have infinite love for PM Ivy. Ivy was already one of my favourites in Brawl and she pretty much got better in every way. Seed Bomb and Razor Leaf are nuts for stage control, L-Cancellable Bair and Nair is totally dope, and of course, USmash into Solarbeam, which is why you always tech when Ivy touches you or die.

Good job Bulbasaur family, you have finally justified your existence.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Sweet wants to know why Ivysaur's UpB randomly doesn't grab the ledge?

I have had it happen to me too and we tested it. The UpB hitbox will physically go through the ledge, but not grab it.

I originally thought you had to be at a 45 degree angle or lower for the UpB to grab the ledge, but that has been disproven through testing. Does it not accurately detect edges? It's a big deal having a random flaw in a character's recover that cannot be predicted.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Sweet wants to know why Ivysaur's UpB randomly doesn't grab the ledge?

I have had it happen to me too and we tested it. The UpB hitbox will physically go through the ledge, but not grab it.

I originally thought you had to be at a 45 degree angle or lower for the UpB to grab the ledge, but that has been disproven through testing. Does it not accurately detect edges? It's a big deal having a random flaw in a character's recover that cannot be predicted.
iirc if something like Randall is present Vine Whip won't snap the ledge.

If it's happening on stages with nothing at all like that, then I have no clue what's causing it.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Yeah it isn't because of Randall, that would be obvious to notice.

It legitimately just doesn't work at times where there is no apparent reason as to why it didn't.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it isn't because of Randall, that would be obvious to notice.

It legitimately just doesn't work at times where there is no apparent reason as to why it didn't.
Honestly, I agree with you that this is a massive character flaw. I mean, to have an inconsistent recovery that works what it feels like 95 percent of the time, the fact that there's a small chance of failure at all creates unfair situations.

I've seen matches where Ivy players "suicide" because their Up B decided to fail them, and this is talking about stages without randall present. I'm not sure if ZSS has this similar problem but I feel that this is a huge disadvantage for Ivy players, which wasn't a design choice but an inevitable technical issue.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Vine whip in the air makes you do a little hop. However, the game checks if you're in range to catch the ledge before that hop. Therefore, if you are just a little bit too far to catch the ledge when you press upB, then instead of the ledge catch animation, you will get that hop, and the normal vine whip animation which finishes after that hop, so it will look like you were in range.

Yes, it's dumb. But that's the explanation.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Hmm, I get the hop thing, but it won't grab while moderately close, and then while REALLY far away it will grab.

The inconsistency is the issue. It isn't really about explanation, just vying to get it fixed.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Do you use a uair to rocket yourself down before it happens ?

(if something needs fixing right now it's our ftilt :rageface: )

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
It's happened to me on Battlefield before, too.

I can't provide any videos at the moment. I will as soon as my computer restores. Lol.

And no. I don't use up air off stage.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Teneban's possibility has already been factored out.
It can recover from REALLY far away, but sometimes when within a very close range of the ledge it will not grab it for no apparent reason.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
if something needs fixing right now it's our ftilt)
EFFING SERIOUSLY

...honestly, I think the move is a much better balance between risk/reward. 2.6 ftilt was braindead, beat everything, and was unpunishable. 3.02 ftilt requires you to recognize if the other guy will DI away.

In other news--I took a game off PP today, in bracket. Got immediately destroyed by his Marth, but STILL, it happened. I'll get vids up when I can.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm, that upB thing is weird. I just try make sure I'm in range and that there's no obstacle between me and the ledge and it works out pretty well.
EFFING SERIOUSLY

...honestly, I think the move is a much better balance between risk/reward. 2.6 ftilt was braindead, beat everything, and was unpunishable. 3.02 ftilt requires you to recognize if the other guy will DI away.

In other news--I took a game off PP today, in bracket. Got immediately destroyed by his Marth, but STILL, it happened. I'll get vids up when I can.
effing seriously back to you, good sir.
There are two kinds of multihits : the ones where you can move, and the one where you can't.
If you can move, I've got no problem with it being escapable, or even punishable on hit : part of the skill is to follow the opponent's DI by strafing. Our nair is a perfectly fine example of that.
The thing with ftilt is that you can't move. So if the opponent DIs, you can't adjust the move so that it still hits. So it's all about can it be punished. And spoiler alert, yes it can. At any percentage. And regardless of which part of the hitbox you hit with initially.
The only reason such a move should get punished is, say, the opponent shielded or dodged it (or CC'd it at least), but DI'd through it ? Come on. You don't DI through and punish Pikachu's dsmash, or Zelda's naryu, do you ? You just DI it to do some damage control.
And let's talk reward since you insist. Assuming it doesn't get punished, it doesn't combo into anything unless they mess up big time, it pretty much doesn't kill, they can go in all sorts of directions so the positional advantage cannot be predicted, and they take 13%. So basically, the only reward is 13%, and a possible zoning situation. That is, assuming you don't get 0-deathed for using it in the first place.

And yes I'm talking guaranteed punishes. Though the tests I've done were in slowmo mode, they consisted in P1 doing a ftilt and holding shield, and P2 DIing through, turning around, taking a tea then a nap, and still being in time to jab before the shield comes out. Repeat with different % and spacings.
And if playing Brawl for 5 years has taught me something, it's that if something can get punished regardless of what you do, don't use it, people will learn the matchup and punish you for it consistently.

Look at this match, and tell me how many ftilts you see :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf7o3BuPX1I

(ggs for taking a game on DrPP by the way :V)

Last edited:

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Don't... ftilt? It might have been braindead in 2.6, but I don't see why you want to use it so much. I don't understand why it's necessary to Ivy's game at all. Every character has a situational / low reward move

Top Bottom